Can't remove NDPS printers. Reinstalls itself and printers on restart.

We are in the process of moving away from NDPS to windows shared
printers. I wanted change a user's workstation from NDPS to the new
printers.

  So, I reinstalled Nwclient 4.91sp4, this time making sure that NDPS
was  not selected for installation. Then I rebooted, removed the NDPS
printers manually and installed the Windows printers.

  After the next reboot, NDPS seemed to reactivate itself and delete all
my windows printers and reinstall all the NDPS printers. Needlessly to
say, that was a lot of work wasted.

  How can I remove NDPS from the Netware client?
0
Jim

Jim,

correct newsgroup. (http://support.novell.com/forums)

http://support.novell.com/forums/faq_general.html

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://support.novell.com/forums/

0
Automatic
1/29/2008 9:44:39 AM
Jim Helfer <jhelfer@wtwarch.com> wrote:

> So, I reinstalled Nwclient 4.91sp4, this time making sure that NDPS
> was  not selected for installation. Then I rebooted, removed the NDPS
> printers manually and installed the Windows printers.
>
> After the next reboot, NDPS seemed to reactivate itself and delete all
> my windows printers and reinstall all the NDPS printers. Needlessly to
> say, that was a lot of work wasted.

However non-intuitive, de-selecting the additional NDPS component
during installation only ensures that the NDPS component will not be
installed.  It does not cause an existing installation of the NDPS
component to become un-installed.

> How can I remove NDPS from the Netware client?

Using the Add/Remove Programs entry for the Novell Client to simply
remove the whole client and all its components would work.  (And then
re-installing without selecting NDPS.)

You should also be able to go into a network connection's properties
(where you see things like "Client for Microsoft Networks", "Internet
Protocol (TCP/IP)", etc., listed) and select the "Novell Distributed
Print Services" item and select "Uninstall".  This should remove this
specific component without having to re-install the Novell Client.

If you're trying to do it across multiple machines you could look into
using ACU.EXE and the [Uninstall] section of the ACU.INI.

Alan Adams
alancrumbadams@drcrumb.com
(for email, remove the crumbs)
0
Alan
1/29/2008 9:11:22 PM
Alan Adams wrote:
> Jim Helfer <jhelfer@wtwarch.com> wrote:
>
>> So, I reinstalled Nwclient 4.91sp4, this time making sure that NDPS
>> was  not selected for installation. Then I rebooted, removed the NDPS
>> printers manually and installed the Windows printers.
>>
>> After the next reboot, NDPS seemed to reactivate itself and delete all
>> my windows printers and reinstall all the NDPS printers. Needlessly to
>> say, that was a lot of work wasted.
>
> However non-intuitive, de-selecting the additional NDPS component
> during installation only ensures that the NDPS component will not be
> installed.  It does not cause an existing installation of the NDPS
> component to become un-installed.
>
>> How can I remove NDPS from the Netware client?
>
> Using the Add/Remove Programs entry for the Novell Client to simply
> remove the whole client and all its components would work.  (And then
> re-installing without selecting NDPS.)
>
> You should also be able to go into a network connection's properties
> (where you see things like "Client for Microsoft Networks", "Internet
> Protocol (TCP/IP)", etc., listed) and select the "Novell Distributed
> Print Services" item and select "Uninstall".  This should remove this
> specific component without having to re-install the Novell Client.
>
> If you're trying to do it across multiple machines you could look into
> using ACU.EXE and the [Uninstall] section of the ACU.INI.
>
> Alan Adams
> alancrumbadams@drcrumb.com
> (for email, remove the crumbs)

  Thanks, I think I will start going all CIFS and dumping the client.

  I'll be so happy when we finally get rid of all this Netware nonsense
entirely.  What a sad end to the product that literaly created the
office network.
0
Jim