User home directory does not work if volume not local

We have user home directories(about 50,000) working perfectly on nw65sp2
with some apache patches. The volume is local to the server. We want to move
apache off to another server---however when we do this to test home
directories do not appear to work anymore. We are using the same proxy and
everything. Are there additional rights or setup needed if the home
directory is not local to the apache server?

--
Jeff Johnson CNE6, MCNE, CDE, DCNSP
jedijeff {at} gmail (dot) com

0
Jeff
12/6/2004 8:04:22 PM
novell.netware.webserver 2692 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Are you talking about home dirs in netstorage?

If so the server hosting Apache running NetStorage MUST be able to
resolve the server name to it's IP address.  Either via hosts file or
DNS.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant

Remember:
"Whether you think you can do something or you think you cannot, you
are probably right."

All opinions expressed are mine alone.
0
Timothy
12/7/2004 4:02:03 AM
Jeff Johnson wrote:
> We have user home directories(about 50,000) working perfectly on nw65sp2
> with some apache patches. The volume is local to the server. We want to move
> apache off to another server---however when we do this to test home
> directories do not appear to work anymore. We are using the same proxy and
> everything. Are there additional rights or setup needed if the home
> directory is not local to the apache server?

Which version of Apache are you using?  If 1.4, then you will need to
install and setup Mod_hdirs.  If 2.0, then use Mod_eDir.  Both are
available on the Novell Forge website.
0
Brad
12/7/2004 3:47:19 PM
I am not talking about netstorage,,,I am talking about the apache home
directories---ie http://myserver.com/~myid will get your published
public_html directory. It has been working for years for us---however we
want to move apache off the server it is on that currently has the home
directories mounted. It seems this feature will not work if the volume for
home directories is not on the same server?

--

"Timothy Leerhoff" <tleerhoffNO@SPAMmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Are you talking about home dirs in netstorage?
>
> If so the server hosting Apache running NetStorage MUST be able to
> resolve the server name to it's IP address.  Either via hosts file or
> DNS.
>
> --
> Timothy Leerhoff
> Principal Consultant
> Independant Experts
> Novell Support Forums Volenteer Sysop
>
> Remember:
> "Whether you think you can do something or you think you cannot, you
> are probably right."
>
> All opinions expressed are mine alone.

0
Jeff
12/7/2004 4:07:57 PM
Good morning Jeff,
Hopefully you are using the latest mod_edir 1.0.8 from forge.novell...?
Enable 'remote server' support in Apache 2 (rDirEnabled on) and either give
the server object in NDS where Apache _is_ running the needed rights to the
file system where your user home dirs are located, or alternatively, create
a user object on the 'users' server with those rights and complete the
following Apache2 directives:
rDirServer,
rDirUserAccount,
rDirPassword
HTH,
Norm

"Jeff Johnson" <checkmysig@me.com> wrote in message
> I am not talking about netstorage,,,I am talking about the apache home
> directories---ie http://myserver.com/~myid will get your published
> public_html directory. It has been working for years for us---however we
> want to move apache off the server it is on that currently has the home
> directories mounted. It seems this feature will not work if the volume for
> home directories is not on the same server?
>
> --
> Jeff Johnson CNE6, MCNE, CDE, DCNSP
> jedijeff {at} gmail (dot) com
>
> "Timothy Leerhoff" <tleerhoffNO@SPAMmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
> > Are you talking about home dirs in netstorage?
> >
> > If so the server hosting Apache running NetStorage MUST be able to
> > resolve the server name to it's IP address.  Either via hosts file or
> > DNS.
> >
> > --
> > Timothy Leerhoff
> > Principal Consultant
> > Independant Experts
> > Novell Support Forums Volenteer Sysop
> >
> > Remember:
> > "Whether you think you can do something or you think you cannot, you
> > are probably right."
> >
> > All opinions expressed are mine alone.

0
NormW
12/7/2004 7:20:55 PM
I have the same problem here. I want server K6 to serve the tilde pages
residing on K1. So, how to I give K6 the authority to "see and post" K1

> Good morning Jeff,
> Hopefully you are using the latest mod_edir 1.0.8 from forge.novell...?
> Enable 'remote server' support in Apache 2 (rDirEnabled on) and either
give
> the server object in NDS where Apache _is_ running the needed rights to
the
> file system where your user home dirs are located, or alternatively,
create
> a user object on the 'users' server with those rights and complete the
> following Apache2 directives:
> rDirServer,
> rDirUserAccount,
> rDirPassword
> HTH,
> Norm
>
> "Jeff Johnson" <checkmysig@me.com> wrote in message
> > I am not talking about netstorage,,,I am talking about the apache home
> > directories---ie http://myserver.com/~myid will get your published
> > public_html directory. It has been working for years for us---however
we
> > want to move apache off the server it is on that currently has the home
> > directories mounted. It seems this feature will not work if the volume
for
> > home directories is not on the same server?
> >
> > --
> > Jeff Johnson CNE6, MCNE, CDE, DCNSP
> > jedijeff {at} gmail (dot) com

0