Upgrade to Netware 6.5 from Netware 5.1

Currently on NW5.1 with a few servers at main and remote offices.  Want
(need) to upgrade to newer NOS, so my logical choice would be OES with the
Netware option (and so that I can start playing with the Linux option).

On the training side I'd appreciate a few pointers.  I currently have a
NW5.1 CNA and several years experience.  I'd like to get the necessary
training to be able to upgrade and administer Netware 6.5, hopefully with
some exposure to the Linux flavor on the side to get me started.  Preferably
a certfication would help but not mandatory.  In the old days I'd be looking
for a Netware 6.5 CNE or CNA, how about today?  What specific courses or
course plan would be best?

On the Netware 6.5 side, does it include ZEN or at least a partial ZEN?  For
instance right now I'm using the old Zenworks starter pack (version 2 I
think) for the only reason being that I needed the DLU in order to avoid 2
sets of password for my users with Windows 2000 or above workstations (which
means all of them now...).  The Zenworks that I'm using isn't supported
anymore and each client release risks breaking it.  Does NW6.5 include
something that provides the DLU support natively?

I heard something about Netware 6.5 not needing the Netware client??  How do
users login then?

Finally, does IFOLDER provide access via a web site to users Word/Excel
files so that users out of the office can still work with files on the file
server?  How does this work?  Does it download a copy of the file to the
users local computer offsite, and keep track that it's been checked out or
some similar control so 2 users don't access at the same time?

Sorry for the many questions, I have a lot of research to do, but figured
I'd cover some of the key points above in order to start me on the right
paths.

Timeline is to get the master replica server upgraded within 3 months.

Thanks
James

0
JJB
11/12/2005 4:37:18 AM
novell.netware.install-upgrade 1409 articles. 0 followers. Follow

JJB wrote:

>On the training side I'd appreciate a few pointers.  I currently have a
>NW5.1 CNA and several years experience.  I'd like to get the necessary
>training to be able to upgrade and administer Netware 6.5, hopefully with
>some exposure to the Linux flavor on the side to get me started.
>Preferably a certfication would help but not mandatory.  In the old days
>I'd be looking for a Netware 6.5 CNE or CNA, how about today?  What
>specific courses or course plan would be best?

I think there is a special NetWare 6.5 upgrade course (or at least there
was in the past). If you are "fluent" in NetWare 5.1, such an upgrade
course might be the best choice. However for more information on courses
and certifications, you might want to ask in one of the following forums:

novell.community.certifications.cna
novell.community.certifications.cne

Also, check the Novell education web site:

http://www.novell.com/training/

>On the Netware 6.5 side, does it include ZEN or at least a partial ZEN?
>For instance right now I'm using the old Zenworks starter pack (version 2
>I think) for the only reason being that I needed the DLU in order to avoid
>2 sets of password for my users with Windows 2000 or above workstations
>(which means all of them now...).  The Zenworks that I'm using isn't
>supported anymore and each client release risks breaking it.  Does NW6.5
>include something that provides the DLU support natively?

There is no kind of ZENworks support included in NetWare 6.5. However if
you want to avoid the double login, you should be aware that NetWare 6.5
includes PDC emulation which allows you to import your workstations into a
Windows like domain on the server and you can login with a network userid
without this userid existing on the workstation.

>I heard something about Netware 6.5 not needing the Netware client??  How
>do users login then?

NetWare 6.5 includes NFAP (Native File Access Protocols). This is in
reality a bundle of 3 compenents:

CIFS: which makes the server behave as a Windows server and thus allows
Windows workstations to login using their native network components
without a Novell client

AFP: makes the server behave as an AFP server allowing Macintosh computers
to natively connect.

NFS: allows Unix or Unix like operating systems to mount NetWare voluems
through the NFS protocol

>Finally, does IFOLDER provide access via a web site to users Word/Excel
>files so that users out of the office can still work with files on the
>file server?  How does this work?  Does it download a copy of the file to
>the users local computer offsite, and keep track that it's been checked
>out or some similar control so 2 users don't access at the same time?

No. iFolder is a product that allows a single user to sychronize his
private files between multiple computers (the files being copied through
the server). It is not a file sharing solution between multiple users, nor
does it allow you to access normal files on the server.
However Netstorage allows you to remotely access server files using the
HTTP protocol and as such can be used over the Internet. Functionally,
Netstorage just behaves as an alternate NetWare client doing file access
through HTTP instead of NCP.

--
Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.17.6.6)
0

"Marcel Cox" <cimetmc@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
>>Finally, does IFOLDER provide access via a web site to users Word/Excel
>>files so that users out of the office can still work with files on the
>>file server?  How does this work?  Does it download a copy of the file to
>>the users local computer offsite, and keep track that it's been checked
>>out or some similar control so 2 users don't access at the same time?
>
> No. iFolder is a product that allows a single user to sychronize his
> private files between multiple computers (the files being copied through
> the server). It is not a file sharing solution between multiple users, nor
> does it allow you to access normal files on the server.
> However Netstorage allows you to remotely access server files using the
> HTTP protocol and as such can be used over the Internet. Functionally,
> Netstorage just behaves as an alternate NetWare client doing file access

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade
I currently have 2 netware 5.1 servers and want to upgrade to netware 6.5. The Netware 5.1 servers are running NDS 7.47. Should I upgrade to edir on the netware 5.1 servers before the migration, if so what are the steps, as I read the update on the netware 5.1 download section that said that the edir update cannot be applied to a 5.1 server running NDS 7.x or can I use NDS 7.47 on the 5.1 server during the migration process? Thanks John, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated...

Upgrading from Netware 5.1 to netware 6.5
Hi, I plan to migrate my 4 Netware 5.1 servers to netware 6.5. What action do I have to do first?Upgrade DS version, latest patchs... My configuration is : - Netware 5.1 SP5 - DHCP is running - NDPS Broker, Manager - DS version 10330.03 - ZfD 3.2 - DirXml 1.1 + passwordSync I also plan to migrate to NIM 2.0 (or IDM, I don't know how to call that!) and ZEN 4 What is the best method?Any feedback experience on projects like this would really be appreciate! Email is also acceptable! Regards, Maurice TADANG I would apply the sp7 patch to the 5.1 servers, then up...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade.
I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to upgrade them to Netware 6.5. I will upgrade one server, then the others will be upgraded in a couple of months. Is it best to upgrade my master replica first so my replica in a mixed environment is a 6.5 server? Or at least make my master replica server whatever server I upgrade to 6.5? If so why? Hi, lanman7777@hotmail.com wrote: > > I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to > upgrade them to Netware 6.5. > I will upgrade one server, then the others will be up...

Upgrade Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
I have Netware 5.1 SP7 & eDirectory 8.7.03 with 4 servers. I would like to upgrade all servers to Netware 6.5 but only 3 can be upgraded at the same time as 1 server is in a remote office. Should I upgrade the master server in the root partition first? Also, will the upgrade change the eDirectory version? Should I upgrade to eDirectory 8.7.3.3 immediately after the Netware 6.5 upgrade? Please help. Thanks Che From the eDirectory point of view, your servers are already up to date. So an upgrade to NW 6.5 will not upgrade your eDirectory and as such will not create comp...

NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Upgrade Question
I have a customer with a NetWare 5.1 Network. They have a main location with with their primary NetWare 5.1 server, then they have multiple locations which also have their own individual NetWare 5.1 servers which are all part of the same tree. They are looking to upgrade to NetWare 6.5 and also install GroupWise 6.5. They are also going to have one new additional server when they upgrade. I am wondering which would be better, to start a new tree on the new server machine and migrate/recreate everything in the tree and somehow unjoin the old servers and rejoin them to the ne...

Questions on upgrading from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
We are currently running Netware 5.1sp5 ds 8 version 8.82 I want to install a clean netware 6.5 server and make it the Master replica, following with an inplace upgrade of six read\write netware 5.1 servers to 6.5. What should I be concerned about? Does this sound like the appropriate path to take? You can install the NW6.5 server as a Pre-Migration server, there will be no other application installed on the server, use MW7.1. In order to do this make sure all you other servers have eDir8.7.3 install and update the SP to the latest available for NW5.1. Get a copy of the tru...

Upgrading Netware 5.1 SP4 to Netware 6.5
Can Netware 5.1 SP4 servers co-exist with Netware 6.5 servers? Currently, all servers have Netware 5.1 SP4 with eDirectory 8.6.2 (DS.NLM 10350.07). We want to upgrade the replica servers to 6.5 first, and then knock off our 5.1 servers over time. Can we do this without applying SP6a to Netware 5.1? If not, then what would be the ideal migration path? Thanks in advance, J Wolfgang Goerlich , > Can Netware 5.1 SP4 servers co-exist with Netware 6.5 servers? Yes. > Currently, all servers have Netware 5.1 SP4 with eDirectory 8.6.2 > (DS.NLM 10350.07). We want to upgrad...

In-place upgrade from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
I am going to upgrade my Netware 5.1 servers to Netware 6.5, any precautions, suggestions, or comment about the in-place upgrade? There are many servers in my environment, but all of them are: Netware 5.1 SP8 Netware 5.1 SP7 NDS 7.62c NDS7.61 Thanks for any reply. Question Man wrote: > I am going to upgrade my Netware 5.1 servers to Netware 6.5, any > precautions, suggestions, or comment about the in-place upgrade? > > There are many servers in my environment, but all of them are: > Netware 5.1 SP8 > Netware 5.1 SP7 > NDS 7.62c > NDS7.61 ...

Upgrading a Netware 5.1 server to Netware 6.5
I am part of a large tree. Before starting upgrade of Netware 5.1 server to Netware 6.5 I ran dsrepair and received no errors. During the Health check of the upgrade I received two warnings. They are Warning extend schema and repair schema. All the primary servers in the tree have already been upgraded to Netware 6.5. The admin of the primary servers control extend the schema. I am trying to find out if the warnings I received is something they need to repair or is there something else I need to do on my own server? I would appreciated any help I can get. Thanks Michel...

Upgrading from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 #2
I am getting ready to make the move to 6.5. My servers are not in a clustered environment. Will my 5.1 boxes do a straight upgrade to 6.5? Or is there any prep work I need to do before hand? Thanks in advance. > I am getting ready to make the move to 6.5. My servers are not in a > clustered environment. Will my 5.1 boxes do a straight upgrade to 6.5? Or > is there any prep work I need to do before hand? Thanks in advance. From reading other threds here, the 2 things to do first, is to upgrade to the most current eDirectory and the apply the most current patches to t...

NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Upgrade Question
I have a customer with a NetWare 5.1 Network. They have a main location with with their primary NetWare 5.1 server, then they have multiple locations which also have their own individual NetWare 5.1 servers which are all part of the same tree. They are looking to upgrade to NetWare 6.5 and also install GroupWise 6.5. They are also going to have one new additional server when they upgrade. I am wondering which would be better, to start a new tree on the new server machine and migrate/recreate everything in the tree and somehow unjoin the old servers and rejoin them to the ne...

NetWare 5.1 SP5 to NetWare 6.5 upgrade questions
Hello, We have plans to upgrade from NetWare 5.1 (Edir 8.6.2 SP3) to NetWare 6.5 later this year. We have to consider the NFS 3.0 replacement to Native File Access on one server, and then comes my next question. Should we/must we upgrade our Edirectory from 8.6.2 to 8.7.x prior to upgrade? And what is the current recommended Edirectory 8.7.x SP? version we should upgrade to? Thanks, Scott Hi Scott, The first task is to install NW51SP7 and verify to have the same level of NICI (56/128 bits) and eDir on all servers. Stany. > Hello, > We have plans to upgr...

Web resources about - Upgrade to Netware 6.5 from Netware 5.1 - novell.netware.install-upgrade

Windows Anytime Upgrade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU) was an upgrade method offered by Microsoft and selected licensed resellers to users who intended to upgrade their ...

President Obama's Facebook Page Upgrades To Timeline
Yes, we can upgrade to timeline. U.S. President Barack Obama's Facebook page has the new layout.

Four Reasons to Upgrade to the New Share Dialog for iOS
... as friend tagging and privacy controls. 2. A faster and more native sharing experience Pinterest and popular iOS game 4 Pics 1 Word upgraded ...

More Streams: Facebook to Upgrade App Directory, App About Pages Soon
Over 50,000 applications have been added to the Facebook application directory since it first launched two years ago, and Facebook says it’s ...

Search Twitter - upgrade
... here Search Refresh Laura Tobin @ Lauratobin1 2m The only way to get through today is chocolate, I'm going to start small with baby & upgrade ...

Brain Upgrade - Improve Concentration and Relieve Stress! on the App Store on iTunes
Get Brain Upgrade - Improve Concentration and Relieve Stress! on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

upgrade - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... Flickr. We noticed that you may be using an unsupported browser. All the basics will still work, but to get the most out of Flickr please upgrade ...

ModBook Upgrade by TechRestore - YouTube
http://www.techrestore.com/ - TechRestore Video - Here is the world's first Modbook upgrade video - TechRestore stop-motion style, of course! ...