Netware 6 and Netware 5

Have to upgrade a 3.12 server.  Already have a 5.0 server.  Is there
any problem installing a NW 6 server into a network that consists of a
NW 5 Server with master nds on NW 5?  We cannot upgrade the NW 5 server
just yet.

Thanks

Tim
0
Tim
7/31/2005 8:37:05 AM
novell.netware.install-upgrade 1409 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Patch the nw5 server to the latest support pack and ds version and use the
deployment manager to prepare your tree and you should be fine I'd say.

Cheers,
Edward

"Tim Well" <timwell2000@nycity.com.com> wrote in message
> Have to upgrade a 3.12 server.  Already have a 5.0 server.  Is there
> any problem installing a NW 6 server into a network that consists of a
> NW 5 Server with master nds on NW 5?  We cannot upgrade the NW 5 server
> just yet.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim

0
Edward
7/31/2005 10:03:08 AM
Edward van der Maas wrote:

> Patch the nw5 server to the latest support pack and ds version and
> use the deployment manager to prepare your tree and you should be
> fine I'd say.
>
> Cheers,
> Edward
>
> "Tim Well" <timwell2000@nycity.com.com> wrote in message
> > Have to upgrade a 3.12 server.  Already have a 5.0 server.  Is there
> > any problem installing a NW 6 server into a network that consists
> > of a NW 5 Server with master nds on NW 5?  We cannot upgrade the NW
> > 5 server just yet.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Tim

I also meant to mention we had another server in our NJ office that we
installed NW6 on and it appeared to be added to the tree but for some
reason no matter how many times we tried to add the license we simply
could not do it and wound up just installing it into its own tree and
decided to wait until we upgraded the main server in NY to NW6 and then
merge the trees.  So we figured we might have a similar problem with
upgrading our 3.12 server (hardware is failing), and we update to the
latest service pack and updated the ds [mind you the server has been
running straight for 2 years with no hickups, I love Novell], but we
are just trying to make sure we do this right.  BTW do you know of the
quickest way to get Netware 6, which place will allow one to download
it within 24 hours?  I recall having one in the past that we did this
with but do not remember.

Thanks

Tim
0
Tim
7/31/2005 2:53:32 PM
Tim, you can download the ISO image of NW 6.0 SP5:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2969167.htm

The issue will be licenses.

Both NW 5.0 and 6.0 are discontinued -- any reason for not going to
6.5?

--
Barry Schnur
Barry
Barry Schnur wrote:

> Tim, you can download the ISO image of NW 6.0 SP5:
>
> http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2969167.htm
>
> The issue will be licenses.
>
> Both NW 5.0 and 6.0 are discontinued -- any reason for not going to
> 6.5?

Does this allow the grace of two logins until we get our elicense for
testing?

We had problems before with a server in our NJ office that had problems
integrating with our NW5 server in the NY office, so we left the trees
seperate although we performed the recommended upgrade on the NW5
server DS and latest sp.  The problem is we cannot upgrade our NW5
server right now, until we get up to speed on iprint and all of the
other stuff, we are still using some workstation based printers with
rprinter (can you believe it, along with queue based printing.  There
are other services we just want to make work properly before we jump).
The server we are replacing is only providing file services that is it
for our accounting application.  So we thought it might be easier at
this point to simply upgrade that 3.12 and if possible integrate that
6.x server with our 5.0.  Other than that we don't really have any
other reasons for not moving.  Do you happen to have the link for NW6.5
so that we can test that and then order it?

Thanks

Tim
0
Tim
7/31/2005 9:16:54 PM
Barry Schnur wrote:

> Tim, you can download the ISO image of NW 6.0 SP5:
>
> http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2969167.htm
>
> The issue will be licenses.
>
> Both NW 5.0 and 6.0 are discontinued -- any reason for not going to
> 6.5?

Is that link the link for small business or regular nw6

Tim
0
Tim
7/31/2005 9:19:19 PM
Barry Schnur wrote:

> novell

Never mind I found the evaluation page, it must have been down earlier?

Tim
0
Tim
7/31/2005 9:35:18 PM
> Does this allow the grace of two logins until we get our elicense for
> testing?

I *believe* so -- standard number of grace logins (one will be Admin of
course).

For 6.5 you need two ISO images:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2970992.htm

NW65OSSP3.ISO (this is the Operating System overlay with SP3 included)

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2970994.htm

NW65PRODSP3.ISO (this is the products overlay with SP3).

Further, for a reasonable test, include at least these two post SP3
updates:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2971567.htm

NW65OS3A.EXE (update to Server.exe and Portal.nlm)

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2971622.htm

N65NSS3A.EXE (update to NSS modules)

--
Barry Schnur
Barry
> Is that link the link for small business or regular nw6

Regular NW 6.0

Unlike 6.5 there was never an overlay for SBS 6.0 with Service Packs.
I believe you can 'get away' with using the regular overlay and then
using SBS 6.0 license -- not certain of this though.

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade
Is there any dsmaint procedure or TID available for "netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade"? (I want to replace a server) Thanks Kumar On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:32:33 GMT, kumars@gotafe.vic.edu.au wrote: >Is there any dsmaint procedure or TID available >for "netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade"? >(I want to replace a server) The Migration Wizard v. 8 (http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=nMihwfdEES8~) will do this for you. --------------- Donald Albury Novell Product Support Volunteer SysOp Sorry, no replies to e-mail respon...

Netware 5 to Netware 6.5 upgrade
I am in the process of upgrading a Netware 5 server to a Netware 6.5 server and have a few questions: 1. I would like to run both the Netware 5 and Netware 6.5 server at the same time on the same network. (Is there a migration tool that will transfer the data only, having different file server names?) 2. By doing the above, and having the NDS replicate to the new Netware 6.5 server, does this cause any problems? (Eventually the Netware 5.0 server will be taken offline) 3. Is there any pdf file or technical docs on upgrading from Netware 5 to Netware 6.5 and what the issues might be?...

Upgrade to Netware 6.5 from Netware 5.1
Currently on NW5.1 with a few servers at main and remote offices. Want (need) to upgrade to newer NOS, so my logical choice would be OES with the Netware option (and so that I can start playing with the Linux option). On the training side I'd appreciate a few pointers. I currently have a NW5.1 CNA and several years experience. I'd like to get the necessary training to be able to upgrade and administer Netware 6.5, hopefully with some exposure to the Linux flavor on the side to get me started. Preferably a certfication would help but not mandatory. In the old days I&...

Upgrade Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
I have Netware 5.1 SP7 & eDirectory 8.7.03 with 4 servers. I would like to upgrade all servers to Netware 6.5 but only 3 can be upgraded at the same time as 1 server is in a remote office. Should I upgrade the master server in the root partition first? Also, will the upgrade change the eDirectory version? Should I upgrade to eDirectory 8.7.3.3 immediately after the Netware 6.5 upgrade? Please help. Thanks Che From the eDirectory point of view, your servers are already up to date. So an upgrade to NW 6.5 will not upgrade your eDirectory and as such will not create comp...

Upgrade Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
Hello, I have a netware 5.0 (no sp) with ds 7.45 on a Compaq Proliant 3000. This server is alone on my tree. I want migrate this server to Netware 6.5 to a Compaq dl 380 G2. What is the best method ? Thanks for answer Fran�ois-Xavier Derveloy France You will need to deploy updates on the 5.0 server prior to running the Migration Wizard. No SP's at all on the 5.0 server? That is rare indeed. Also, how many users on this server and how much data? -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Hello, config.txt give this : Novell NetWare 5.00...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade.
I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to upgrade them to Netware 6.5. I will upgrade one server, then the others will be upgraded in a couple of months. Is it best to upgrade my master replica first so my replica in a mixed environment is a 6.5 server? Or at least make my master replica server whatever server I upgrade to 6.5? If so why? Hi, lanman7777@hotmail.com wrote: > > I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to > upgrade them to Netware 6.5. > I will upgrade one server, then the others will be up...

Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5 upgrade?
I have two servers running Netware 5.0 and one server running Netware 5.1 My question is, can I upgrade from 5.0 to Netware 6.5 using the migration wizard on one server and have the other servers remain on the network communicating with each other. (i.e. have a 5.0 server co-exist with a nw 6.5 server with no issues with edir/nds?) Or do I have to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 then to 6.5? If doing this, will the 5.0 license work for 5.1? As it will be impossible to upgrade all servers from 5.0 to 5.1 at the same time! Thanks John, > My question is, can I upgrade from 5.0 to...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade
I currently have 2 netware 5.1 servers and want to upgrade to netware 6.5. The Netware 5.1 servers are running NDS 7.47. Should I upgrade to edir on the netware 5.1 servers before the migration, if so what are the steps, as I read the update on the netware 5.1 download section that said that the edir update cannot be applied to a 5.1 server running NDS 7.x or can I use NDS 7.47 on the 5.1 server during the migration process? Thanks John, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated...

Upgrading from Netware 5.1 to netware 6.5
Hi, I plan to migrate my 4 Netware 5.1 servers to netware 6.5. What action do I have to do first?Upgrade DS version, latest patchs... My configuration is : - Netware 5.1 SP5 - DHCP is running - NDPS Broker, Manager - DS version 10330.03 - ZfD 3.2 - DirXml 1.1 + passwordSync I also plan to migrate to NIM 2.0 (or IDM, I don't know how to call that!) and ZEN 4 What is the best method?Any feedback experience on projects like this would really be appreciate! Email is also acceptable! Regards, Maurice TADANG I would apply the sp7 patch to the 5.1 servers, then up...

Upgrade Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
Can one tell me how to upgrade a Netware 5.0 Single Server to a Netware 6.5 Singele Server where the Netware 6.5 Server will be on a new Machine. What are the specials one has to look after? Thak you You should look into Migration Wizard to ease this process. Migration Wizard can be downloaded from http://download.novell.com -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) Having used Migration Wizard 7.1 to migrate 5.0 to 6.5 I cannot recommend that route. I have seen others in these forums have the same problems I saw. A stepped migra...

Netware 6 to Netware 6.5 license upgrade
I have three Netware 6 servers and 300 NW6 user licences. I bought 300 NW6.5 user licences upgrade. After I will upgrade one server to NW6.5 how should I proceed with client upgrade licences to insure that users can communicate with all servers? Thanks, Nathan On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 20:42:51 GMT, "Nathan Kaplan" <nkaplan@chacinc.com> wrote: >I have three Netware 6 servers and 300 NW6 user licences. I bought 300 NW6.5 >user licences upgrade. After I will upgrade one server to NW6.5 how should I >proceed with client upgrade licences to insure that users can...

Upgrade from Netware 6.0 to Netware 6.5
I am going to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.5. I have link to go to download a 21KB zip file. Is that all that I need to do the upgrade or is there something else that I have to get? Do I just burn these files to a CD and run it, to perform the upgrade? Any help would be good. Thanks Jason Roggentien Ah -- no -- it is quite a bit more complicated than that. 1) Do you have a license for 6.5? 2) What service pack do you have installed on the 6.0 server? 3) Is the intent to do this as an in place upgrade? -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop > Ah -- ...

upgrade Netware 6 SP5 to Netware 6.5 SP5
We want to update a Netware 6 server to Netware 6.5 SP5. The server is running: eguide 2.1.0 NDPS 3.0.5 File services Named $ DHCP 1.2.0 Master server (ROOT-replica) Are there any special steps to take, for updating the Eguide and the NDPS services, or is this migrated by the upgrade process automatically? nospammail@atmyaddress.com wrote: > for updating the Eguide and the NDPS > services, NDPS will get the new NLM's - don't know about eGuide. Make sure you put the NetWare 6.5 OS CD in a workstation and run the deployment manager before doing the upg...

Web resources about - Netware 6 and Netware 5 - novell.netware.install-upgrade

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ