Netware 4.11 coexist with Netware 6.5 server?

Can a Netware 4.11 server co-exist with a Netware 6.5 server, as there are
two Netware 4.11 servers and each server will get migrated over to new
hardware over two weekends.

thanks

0
John
9/9/2005 3:22:30 PM
novell.netware.install-upgrade 1409 articles. 0 followers. Follow

John wrote:

> Can a Netware 4.11 server co-exist with a Netware 6.5 server, as there are
> two Netware 4.11 servers and each server will get migrated over to new
> hardware over two weekends.

Yes, but they must be at DS621. And run the deployment wizard ones.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop

Just follow the instructions for the pre migration preparation of your
NW 4.11 tree, then they can coexist with 6.5  - and be sure to run all
major Edir changes (schema extensions, creation of new objects etc.)
only at the NW 6.5 platform.

W. Prindl

John wrote:

> Can a Netware 4.11 server co-exist with a Netware 6.5 server, as
> there are two Netware 4.11 servers and each server will get migrated
> over to new hardware over two weekends.
>
> thanks
Thanks guys,

  One more question, does the Migration Wizard 6.5 have any issue's with
migrating from a Netware 4.11 server to a Netware 6.5 server on new
hardware? As I noticed that anything above the Migration Wizard 6.5 does not
work with Netware 4.11, according to the Novell doc's at least...

Thanks

================
"W. Prindl" <05nos@pamtwbnospam.at> wrote in message
> Yes it can - I had one running for about one year in a NW 6.5 Edir tree
> without problems.
>
> Just follow the instructions for the pre migration preparation of your
> NW 4.11 tree, then they can coexist with 6.5  - and be sure to run all
> major Edir changes (schema extensions, creation of new objects etc.)
> only at the NW 6.5 platform.
>
> W. Prindl
>
> John wrote:
>
>> Can a Netware 4.11 server co-exist with a Netware 6.5 server, as
>> there are two Netware 4.11 servers and each server will get migrated
>> over to new hardware over two weekends.
>>
>> thanks

0
John
9/9/2005 10:11:47 PM
As long as you have no long file names like
"..\Common\jvm\netware\java\demos\jumpingbox\sounds\danger,danger...!.au
" (part of the GW 5.5 EHP installation) you should be fine - if you
have such non standard  file names the NW 4.11 TSA abends during file
copy and you hardly have a clou where and for whatever reason. If the
latter happens just install new server into tree and copy files over
manaully (via a client station) and copy trustee rights with
trustee.nlm.

W. Prindl