Propagate DNS Settings to Other DNS Servers

My server is the Authoratitive DNS server for my domain.

if the NAMED service is down, no one can resolve to my web site.

It seems as if my DNS settings are not propogating to other DNS servers
on the Internet to be cached there.  What settings do I have to change
to make this happen ?

Steve

Steve
9/24/2007 2:38:34 AM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Other DNS servers are not responsible for caching your DNS info.  If
they have to resolve names using your server, they may cache that info
so they don't have to ask your server for it every time, but even then
the caching is probably only for a short time.

The only way to ensure that your DNS records can be resolved when your
DNS server is down is to have a second DNS server which is also
responsible for your domain.  Your ISP may provide this (probably for a
fee), otherwise you need to build and maintain your own second DNS
server.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad
9/24/2007 3:20:31 PM
Thanks - I do have a second server with the DNS info on it as well.

So, how long does the NW dns service cache dns info of other domains ?

Steve
--

Brad Doster wrote:

> Other DNS servers are not responsible for caching your DNS info.  If
> they have to resolve names using your server, they may cache that
> info so they don't have to ask your server for it every time, but
> even then the caching is probably only for a short time.
>
> The only way to ensure that your DNS records can be resolved when
> your DNS server is down is to have a second DNS server which is also
> responsible for your domain.  Your ISP may provide this (probably for
> a fee), otherwise you need to build and maintain your own second DNS
> server.
>
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp
0
Steve
9/25/2007 2:27:26 PM
In article <iV8Ki.2913$NG7.2054@kovat.provo.novell.com>, Steve Babcock
wrote:
> Thanks - I do have a second server with the DNS info on it as well.

OK, then it sounds like there is no NS record for that server which is
known to the world.  We are talking about a public domain here, right?
What is the name of the domain?

> So, how long does the NW dns service cache dns info of other domains ?

That's actually up to the authoritative DNS server for each domain...
the TTL setting for the domain determines how long a cached record is
valid.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad

DNS? What DNS?
This has never happened before and in light light of this morning's news about the DDOS I was wondering if it is just my machine or if something else is going on. Background: A firewall on one of my machines blocked IE from getting to the net. I wanted to trace where it was planning to go to (207.188.24.150)to figure out if this was just XP again or something else. I tried Neo Trace and PC Helps "Net Tracer" but neither can track it. All I get is "undetermined" or "timed out" Robin In article <3DB714A2.7050902@twcny.rr.com>, omeru...

DNS UP
Hi We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been operating reasonably well. Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet) We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The internal DNS also seems fime. We have not made any changes to th...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

Netware DNS compatibility with other secondary DNS servers
I have a problem where the primary DNS information for a domain is on a Netware 6 server. The secondary is hosted by an ISP. When I look at the SOA information on the ISP, the serial number is always 0, the refresh is always the number that the matches the serial, the retry is the refresh number and so forth. Has anybody seen this? I've done this type of thing a couple times in the past and have searched here and other places and can't seem to find that anybody else has seen this....anybody have any ideas? Just wondering, why is an ISP hosting your secon...

GlobalNames DNS zone and NetWare DNS servers
We have a mix of NetWare 6.5 and Windows Server 2008 DNS servers. There is a forwarding zone in Novell that points to the Windows DNS servers for the DNS zone abc.xyz.local. Most workstations are configured for the DNS zone named xyz, so when they attempt to resolve a host name, they append xyz (i.e. webserver.xyz). Novell is primary for the xyz zone, and the workstations point to Novell, so it resolves properly. A few workstations are domain-joined, so they append abc.xyz.local (the AD domain name), turning webserver into webserver.abc.xyz.local. They also point to NetWare DNS, wh...

DNS not forwarding to other dns servers
We had a problem the other day when we lost power on our external DNS server. Users out on the internet were not able to hit our website and do any resolutions to our Secure VPN gateway. When we used the URL address for the website it would not resolve. When we used the VPN Client it would not resolve the name to an address to access the VPN. If we used the IP address it would work. I was under the impression if my dns server went down anyone trying to resolve address to my domain would get the resolution from their DNS server since this information was cached in their DNS Server....

DNS Server Red X in DNS/DHCP Management Console
When I startup named.nlm, I get this: Starting eDirectory integrated Novell DNS Server... error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 1 failed; interface ignored error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 2 failed; interface ignored Loading the configuration and zone data completed. DNS Server running I can't seem to find any info on any of those errors. Also, in the DNS/DHCP Management Console it shows up as a red X. Other than that, it seems t...

Netware DNS server won't zone transfer to Windows DNS
I am currently looking to setup DNS servers to serve 70 domains and am using a netware server as the primary DNS. I have configured a Windows 2003 server to hold the secondary dns zones but cannot get the windows server to load the zone. It states the Transfer of data from the zone master failed. If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated. Graeme Versions please... NetWare? Service Pack? NAMED.NLM? bd NSC Volunteer SysOp gmurphy@three.com.au wrote: > I am currently looking to setup DNS servers to serve 70 domains and am > using a netware server as ...

After setting up DNS server, normal DNS query wouldn't work
Hi everyone. I'm new to Opensuse, and recently trying to set up a DNS server though Yast. I run Opensuse 11.3 +XP under virtualbox(bridged network) On the first day I started DNS server, everything worked very well, in both virtual machine and opensuse, I could browse any webpages. But today something strange happened... in xp virtual machin, everything works just fine, no any problems, but in Opensuse, DNS server was running, but I just couldn't browse any webpages, I'm sure that's DNS's problem, because I could ping an external IP address but couldn't pi...

0.0.0.0 for DNS server IP address in DNS/DHCP console
In DNS/DHCP management console I have a red X accross the DNS server object which doesn't go away and it shows 0.0.0.0 in the DNS Server IP Address field instead of actuall DNS server IP address. How can I edit it and change it to the correct server IP address? Any help would be appreciated -- nsafa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nsafa, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not...

Internal DNS server (New to DNS)
We have an external DNS server (149.168.11.11) that resolves all our exteral hosts and IP's. Have setup an internal to resolve our internal Intranet hosts and IP's etc. Our domain name is nash.cc.nc.us or nashcc.edu. I have installed DNS as well as management console. We need to have several INTERNAL host names to resolve: 10.1.2.12 - www.nashcc.edu 10.1.13.3 - bb.nashcc.edu, email.nashcc.edu 10.1.2.15. The DNS Server name is Ncc_Studdev, IP address 10.1.2.200, I have created a Primary zone named NASHCC, as well as IN-ADDR.ARPA for each and a CNAME and PTR record also...

NW65 DNS as public DNS Server?
We have 2 NW6 servers that provide DNS for our ISP that host web, email and several other services. The servers perform well in our enviroment. I want to upgrade the servers to NW65 but I wanted some input first before we made the change. 1. Is anyone using NW65 DNS for public DNS in a fairly heavily loaded enviroment? 2. If so, how is the reliability and performance? 3. Any significant changes I should know about? When we first installed the NW6 DNS Servers we had a not of problems that took a great deal of time and effort to get resolved due to a bad ver of named...

DNS statistics show DNS servers are down
Using BM3.6 on Netware 4.11. All patches current, SP9 for NW, BM36SP2A and C02 update. Have 3 DNS server IP addresses in my resolv.cfg, 2 from SBC and 1 from Cogent Co. 2nd (SBC) is in up state and 1st (SBC) and 3rd (Cognt CO) show down. Yet a ping to each of the 3 addresses is successful 100 percent of the time. Was wondering what might be causing this and how to fix it. Thanks in advance for any help. JIm Boettger Hi Jim, Have you checked if DNS (NAMED) is actually running on the "down" servers. PING will see if the server is running, but won...

Web resources about - Propagate DNS Settings to Other DNS Servers - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Go forth and propagate
One of my favourite things about gardening is propagating.

2 Very Easy Ways to Propagate Succulents
... more. I wanted to one vlog which you could refer to whenever I’m posting about a specific succulent because the great majority of them propagate ...

Drudge propagates the "Obama is like Nixon" meme.
I've already mobilized my "Obama is like Nixon" tag for the occasion. That was the 13th time I used it.

Western Media Propagate Anti-China Rhetoric, Xinhua Chief Says
Western Media Propagate Anti-China Rhetoric, Xinhua Chief Says Bloomberg Western media outlets propagate ideas from “hostile forces” that don't ...

Hollywood hit job: ‘Fair Game’ propagates easily disprovable myths about lead up to Iraq War
"Fair Game" propagates easily disprovable myths about lead up to Iraq War

Congress did not propagate its achievements: Chidambaram
Congress did not propagate its achievements: Chidambaram - Union Finance Minister P.Chidambaram Saturday said that the Congress' biggest fault ...

Culture: It’s alive — it propagates, mutates, and accumulates
... and quickly eradicate them. If you don’t, and since cultures determine which humans survive, they could repel the wrong talent. Culture propagates. ...

The Hidden Biases Our Internet Memes Help Propagate
Welcome to Reading List , a weekly collection of great tech reads from around the web. This week explores the hidden biases of Internet memes, ...

Tweet self-propagates through TweetDeck
NEW YORK (AP) â" A tweet containing computer code has propagated itself through Twitter by taking advantage of a security flaw in the company's ...

Study: Open source libraries propagate security flaws
Although companies such as Microsoft, Adobe, and Mozilla have raised awareness of secure programming practices in recent years, getting developers ...