Novell DNS with W2K DNS

HI,

I have to setup and AD in our NetWare 5.1 environment.  DNS service
are hosted by Netware server.  AD needs a DNS server.  Can I use the
Netware DNS or I need to configure a new W2K DNS?  Since AD need to
register specific records in DNS.

If you have any good documents or links about that I will appreciate.

Thanks in advance

Dany

0
dany_langlois
12/1/2003 6:56:22 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Some of my clients are in the same boat.  The configuration that seems

to work best for them is to have the MS DNS running to handle the AD
stuff.  Also run the Novell DNS pointing to the MS DNS as the
authoritative source.  Have the PCs pointing to the Novell DNS.

Or try reading TID10061330

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant

0
Timothy
12/2/2003 2:30:04 AM
The Netware 6.5 DNS server support s SRV records required by Active
Directory/Windows 2000.  We have it running right now.

HB

0
HB
12/16/2003 6:06:15 PM
Cool!  Care to share any more details (if there are any) about gotchas

or idiosyncracies you might have encoountered?

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad
12/17/2003 5:00:03 AM
This type of configuration is TID worthy.  If you would provide your
steps of configuration I would be willing to get the information into
TID and available to all.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant
Independant Experts
Novell Support Forums Sysop

0
Timothy
12/17/2003 2:50:43 PM
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____

is the config any different than what is already in TID 10061330?

>>> Timothy Leerhoff<tleerhoffNO@SPAMqwest.net> 2003-12-17 07:50:43

This type of configuration is TID worthy.  If you would provide your
steps of configuration I would be willing to get the information into
TID and available to all.

--=20
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant
Independant Experts
Novell Support Forums Sysop

--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____

--____WHPEPQYSAQXEHDGESJXG____

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;
charset=3Diso-8859-1"=

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN: 4px 4px 1px; FONT: 10pt Courier New">is the
config =
any different than what is already in TID
<STRONG>10061330?</STRONG><BR><BR=
>&gt;&gt;&gt; Timothy Leerhoff&lt;tleerhoffNO@SPAMqwest.net&gt;
2003-12-17 =
07:50:43 &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>
<DIV style=3D"COLOR: #000000">This type of configuration is TID
worthy.&nbs=
p; If you would provide your<BR>steps of configuration I would be
willing =
to get the information into a<BR>TID and available to all.<BR><BR>-- =

<BR>Timothy Leerhoff<BR>Principal Consultant<BR>Independant
Experts<BR>Nove=
ll Support Forums Sysop<BR><BR><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--____WHPEPQYSAQXEHDGESJXG____--

--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____--

DNS UP
Hi We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been operating reasonably well. Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet) We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The internal DNS also seems fime. We have not made any changes to th...

DNS? What DNS?
This has never happened before and in light light of this morning's news about the DDOS I was wondering if it is just my machine or if something else is going on. Background: A firewall on one of my machines blocked IE from getting to the net. I wanted to trace where it was planning to go to (207.188.24.150)to figure out if this was just XP again or something else. I tried Neo Trace and PC Helps "Net Tracer" but neither can track it. All I get is "undetermined" or "timed out" Robin In article <3DB714A2.7050902@twcny.rr.com>, omeru...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

DHCP Questions ... Primary DNS Suffix and Bug in DHCP/DNS Utility
I have been reconfiguring our Novell 5.1 SP4 DHCP/DNS server to pass NDS Server, Tree, and Context information through DHCP. I would like to specify the Primary Domain suffix for Windows 2000 workstations. Currently, we manually enter a suffix domain name under the TCP/IP properties, but IT staff sometime forget to perform this step. Any help would be appreciated. Also, the DHCP/DNS Utility appears to have a display bug. The Directory Agent (Code 78) has been specified in my DHCP settings, but no value is displayed unless I click on the Modify button. We are running ...

GlobalNames DNS zone and NetWare DNS servers
We have a mix of NetWare 6.5 and Windows Server 2008 DNS servers. There is a forwarding zone in Novell that points to the Windows DNS servers for the DNS zone abc.xyz.local. Most workstations are configured for the DNS zone named xyz, so when they attempt to resolve a host name, they append xyz (i.e. webserver.xyz). Novell is primary for the xyz zone, and the workstations point to Novell, so it resolves properly. A few workstations are domain-joined, so they append abc.xyz.local (the AD domain name), turning webserver into webserver.abc.xyz.local. They also point to NetWare DNS, wh...

Netware DNS compatibility with other secondary DNS servers
I have a problem where the primary DNS information for a domain is on a Netware 6 server. The secondary is hosted by an ISP. When I look at the SOA information on the ISP, the serial number is always 0, the refresh is always the number that the matches the serial, the retry is the refresh number and so forth. Has anybody seen this? I've done this type of thing a couple times in the past and have searched here and other places and can't seem to find that anybody else has seen this....anybody have any ideas? Just wondering, why is an ISP hosting your secon...

Defending your DNS: best practices for reliable DNS and DHCP
Well-publicized attacks against Domain Name System (DNS) root servers and top-level domains highlight the vulnerability of the DNS infrastructure. Many CIOs are looking for ways to ensure secure, reliable network services. We've identified design principles and best practices for resilient, reliable Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and DNS services. DNS is the protocol and global network of servers that translate host names into Internet Protocol addresses. Before taking action, prioritize the risks to your network and identify the potential threats you may face. [ Rea...

DNS 1 and DNS 2
So out of curiosity I'm looking at all the connections in my firewall and ever once and while some hits on DNS 1 and 2 same as listed on my router web page . Some times it's to a close port others not . Is this normal activity from my ISP ? Or something I should be worried about ? tia CYS Hemi wrote: > looking at all the connections in my firewall and ever once and while > some hits on DNS 1 and 2 same as listed on my router web page. This is too vague to understand your question let alone answer it. Are you talking about a DSL or cable modem? Are you talking ab...

DNS Server Red X in DNS/DHCP Management Console
When I startup named.nlm, I get this: Starting eDirectory integrated Novell DNS Server... error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 1 failed; interface ignored error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 2 failed; interface ignored Loading the configuration and zone data completed. DNS Server running I can't seem to find any info on any of those errors. Also, in the DNS/DHCP Management Console it shows up as a red X. Other than that, it seems t...

Question about DNS about DNS over VPN
Hi, we have got a problem (probabliy we misunderstood something) with the VPN - Client. When I login with the VPN-Client, where can I set the DNS-Context (Search Context) which will be passed to the Client? I can not find any settings at the VPN Definitions. Thanks in advance Reg. Thomas Thomas, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http...

DNS Forwarders to Microsoft DNS
We have 80% of our network on Novell Netware and use DHCP and DNS on Novell servers. Recently there have been implementations of Microsoft Active Directory installations and we were told that Microsoft does not support Novell DNS and we are therefore having to keep a Microsoft DNS. I have set a forwarder on my DNS server that points to the IP address of my Windows 2003 server and thought that if the Novell DNS could not reply it would be forwarded to the Win2003 DNS, it isn't working though, any ideas? Mark We have 4 Novell DNS servers and I have just not...

External DNS
we are having the following 2 issues: 1 - After we connect to the Bordermanger 3.8 vpn server we are unable to acces any Internat WWW sites or ping any Internat sites - but we can ping an access all internal sites. 2 - we do have dns configured in IManager to send out DNS info to the VPN client - BUT we are ubable to ping internal servers by name only by ip.. please help Menachem Kain hi, > 1 - After we connect to the Bordermanger 3.8 vpn server we are unable to > acces any Internat WWW sites or ping any Internat sites - but we can ping an > access all intern...

DNS not forwarding to other dns servers
We had a problem the other day when we lost power on our external DNS server. Users out on the internet were not able to hit our website and do any resolutions to our Secure VPN gateway. When we used the URL address for the website it would not resolve. When we used the VPN Client it would not resolve the name to an address to access the VPN. If we used the IP address it would work. I was under the impression if my dns server went down anyone trying to resolve address to my domain would get the resolution from their DNS server since this information was cached in their DNS Server....

Configure PTR record for DNS using DNS /DHCP Management cons
Hello I am running Novell Netware 6.5 sp7 and am having troubles when I do a nslookup it displays can't find server name for address <server ip> Non existent domain. My google searching has led me to beleive this is because I don't have a ptr record setup in my DNS. Any advice on how to set this up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jake -- edmundrice ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please post this in the DNS-DHCP forum, thanks. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Knowledge Partner http://forums.novell.co...

Web resources about - Novell DNS with W2K DNS - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Novell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Novell, Inc. / n oʊ ˈ v ɛ l / is an American multinational software and services company headquartered in Provo, Utah . It has been instrumental ...

NOVELL Worldwide
Novell is a leading provider of infrastructure software. Our vision is helping people and technology to work as one. Our mission is to help customers ...

Edit - Novell - CrunchBase Company Profile
Please do not include suffixes like 'Inc.', 'LLC', 'GmbH', 'SAS', etc. Don’t include '.com' unless explicitly part of the company name.

DOJ closes investigation of Apple acquisition of Nortel and Novell patents on FRAND commitments
... of Justice clearing Google’s acquisition of Motorola , the DOJ also closed its investigations into Apple’s acquisition of certain Novell patents, ...

Novell Tries Enterprise File Sharing Without That Pesky Cloud
... just not comfortable with all that cloud stuff going on with either one of them. Well, you’re not alone, and the networking company Novell ...

Justice Department approves Apple patent purchases from Nortel, Novell
... including a collection of Nortel's intellectual property to be acquired by Apple, Microsoft, Research in Motion and others and Novell patents ...

Novell-SCO case finally heading to trial
A judge has granted Novell's motion to lift SCO's bankruptcy stay. Utah …

Novell: Elliott “Welcomes” Decision To Consider Possible Buyers
Investment firm Elliott Associates this morning said it &#8220;welcomed&#8221; Novell&#8216;s (NOVL) decision to &#8220;conduct a sale of the ...

Will Novell-Microsoft ruling make developers digital serfs to platform lords?
... marked another win for Microsoft while under the watchful eyes of Judge J. Frederick Motz, who dismissed the antitrust lawsuit brought by Novell. ...

Cambridge-bound Novell pins recovery on CTP buy
... & more in Boston, Massachusetts. CAMBRIDGE A year after it struck a deal to buy consulting firm Cambridge Technology Partners, an ailing Novell ...