IP Address allocation by mac address

Is it possible to give a specific mac address a fixed IP address when
it
requests an address from the DHCP server?

0
mike
1/12/2004 9:44:16 AM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

mike.dawson@scarborough.gov.uk schrieb:

>Is it possible to give a specific mac address a fixed IP address when
it
>requests an address from the DHCP server?
Yes. Just create an ip-address-object with manual assignment type in
the DNS/DHCP management console. Enter the mac-address, unload and
reload the dhcpsrvr module and release and renew the address at the
workstation.
Important: Don�t touch the client identifier field, when creating the
object.

Joerg

0
Joerg
1/12/2004 11:32:02 AM
In a similar vein, can the NW 6.5 NAMED.NLM hand out address based on

PC/Netbios name?

HB

0
HB
1/12/2004 1:13:07 PM
HB <hbueno@REMOVE-THIS.roe.com> schrieb:

>In a similar vein, can the NW 6.5 NAMED.NLM hand out address based on

>PC/Netbios name?

You mean DHCPSRVR.NLM? Not that I�m aware of. You just can enter
mac-addresses.

Joerg

0
Joerg
1/12/2004 1:27:00 PM
Or if you did mean NAMED, i.e. "Can a DNS server resolve NETBIOS
names?", No it can't.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad
1/12/2004 2:09:51 PM
Ya, I meant DHCPSRVR

0
HB
1/12/2004 3:24:10 PM
> mike.dawson@scarborough.gov.uk schrieb:
>
> >Is it possible to give a specific mac address a fixed IP address
when
it
> >requests an address from the DHCP server?
> Yes. Just create an ip-address-object with manual assignment type in

> the DNS/DHCP management console. Enter the mac-address, unload and
> reload the dhcpsrvr module and release and renew the address at the
> workstation.
> Important: Don�t touch the client identifier field, when creating
the
> object.
>
> Joerg
Thanks, that worked. The thing I did not do was to reload the service.

Mike

0
mike
1/12/2004 3:57:11 PM
In article <rtzMb.11684$VM1.6140@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>,  wrote:

> The thing I did not do was to reload the service.

Then I probably don't need to say this, but on the safe side... ALWAYS

unlaod and reload DHCPSRVR before testing any config changes.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad

DHCP assigning the same IP Address to Mutiple Mac Addresses
Is it possible in DHCP to assign the same IP Address to multiple Mac Addresses, ie. a laptop docked using the docking station NIC and a laptop undocked using the built-in NIC I have an application that checks security based on the IP-address that is assigned to the user. thanks, Chris Chris, AFAIK this isn�t possible. You have to add two different manual assignments to the nics. Joerg Joerg is correct, although you may be able to use a MAC Address override so that the machine has the same MAC address regardless of how it is connected. Check your OS d...

Ip addresses linked to MAC addresses?
Hi, I recently decided to install a router onto my internet connection, (partially because of my Shields Up results, and partially because my linux computer acting as a router was a bottleneck (ISA ethernet cards.. eww)) Anyway, I plugged it in, booted it up, and noticed that my IP address had changed. Now, nowhere in my internet access does it say anything about static IP address, but my IP address hadn't changed for quite some time. (Somewhere in the range of 1-2 years) I thought that this was too much of a coincidence, so I took a closer look at my LinkSys router, and saw a WAN ...

IP address vs MAC address
Ok somebody explain this to me. I understand how IP addresses are issued(well sort of...lol) Is it one IP address to one MAC address?(not accounting for non routable IP space) I understand there can only be one WAN facing IP address per machine/MAC/NIC/etc realizing multiple NICs possible on one computer. If that is the case then how can say a Comcast DHCP server keep from issuing an IP to a MAC address that another provider has already issued an IP for? In this case perhaps someone has made up a MAC address to use in their router for cloning purposes. Or does it really ...

Find an IP address having only the MAC address
Hi again, I've been searching google for a while about this issue, but I'm still too confused. My goal is to discover the IP address of the LAN interface of a Cisco 1721 router (it's located at the office where I work). I know the MAC address because it's written in a sticker at the bottom of the router. But I don't know the password to the router admin console :( The router's LAN interface is connected to a Sun workstation that has two NICs (one of them connected to the cisco and the other connected to a 24- port switch). The Sun machine works as a...

Get IP address and MAC address
Hi there! How can get ip address and mac address from command shell without root attributes(I can't use 'ifconfig'). Thank you in advance. -- [Adri�n C�rdoba] ------------------------------------------------------------------------ aecordoba wrote: > Hi there! > How can get ip address and mac address from command shell without root > attributes(I can't use 'ifconfig'). > Thank you in advance. > > /sbin/ifconfig -- Vahis aecordoba wrote: > Hi there! > How can get ip address and mac address from command shell wi...

Virtual IP Address (Mac Addressing)
We are planning a 26node cluster Groupwise implementation early next year. After meeting with our Network people, one of them posed the question if Server A (connected to Switch A) fails over to Server B which is connected to Switch B (Will the virtual mac IP address that fails over to Server B be recorded correctly). I was under the impression that the application layer managed it, but we need clarification for Netware. Thanks. Novell's fail-over works by only moving the IP address of a resource and not the MAC address. Therefore, the fail-over is completely transparent ...

how to find ip address from mac address?
It happened more than once. At a customer's office, there is a device with an unknown ip address. We know its mac address. The ip address might be different from the network. For example, the customer's network might be 10.1.0.0/16, whereas that device might have the ip address 192.168.200.123/24. For example, it might be a managed switch that has kept its default ip address. So, it works as a switch, but I cannot manage it. Apart from a sniffer, is there a (free?) software that can scan the network and find ip addresses of all hosts, and/or only of those whose mac address ...

How to get MAC address & IP address?
Dear all how to get the MAC address & IP address using PowerBuilder 6.5? thanks! Michael On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:42:51 +0800, "Michael" <michaell@hknet.com> wrote: >Dear all > > how to get the MAC address & IP address using PowerBuilder 6.5? > thanks! > >Michael > For IP address see http://eric.aling.tripod.com/PB/tips/pbtip14.htm -- Boris Gasin [TeamSybase] mailto:bgasin@dynamictechgroup.com Close to NJ? Join the NJ Sybase Tools User Group http://www.njpbug.org/njpbug/join/join.asp On Wed, ...

ip address, mac address, agent name
Hi It seems that I was able to print a report showing IP Address, MAC address and Agent Name all on the same page...Did I make that up? Does anyone know how to do that? Thanks, Kat On Mar 15, 5:16 pm, mepr...@speakeasy.net wrote: > Hi > It seems that I was able to print a report showing IP Address, MAC address > and Agent Name all on the same page...Did I make that up? Does anyone know > how to do that? Well, the MAC address would really be tough as NDPS/iPrint has no need for the MAC address and as such does not record that information anywhere. If the pritner i...

DHCP Address range with configured Mac Addresses
Hi, Under Linux.. We have an address range, that will hand out a random IP address to any computer mac address listed within that range. Why do we do this? Well it means we have a laptop pool of 50 Ip Addresses and we can have 100 Laptops MAC Addresses listed within the IP Pool (The MACS must be listed so we have some kind of control over who is plugging into our Network - I know there are wholes in the model, like someone with the know how just assigning their own address, but it stops most users... Obviously only 50 of those Laptops can only be on the network at one...

Access restriction using ip address or MAC address
Here is my Problem.                  I would like to restric users access to my application if their IP address or MAC address is not a register on my database, I have already handle the database part but what i need to know is how to check the ip address and MAC address of client computers for incoming connection to my application server. Second question, is it a good idea to restric using ip address although i have another layer of Authentication and authorization process in place? Can IP address&n...

Web control for catching IP address and MAC address
Hi guys. I would like to know if any of you know a link or maybe have a library which allows me to use a textbox for enter an IP Address or a MAC address??. I've been searching on the web but all of the examples are for windows applications or they are masks for the normal textbox but they don't include the Control type for an IP address or a MAC address. Please help with this.  You would need to make a composite control of 4 textboxes.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks you...

Windows software to convert MAC address to IP address?
Hi all. For the life of me, I can't remember what the name of the software that will take a MAC address and give you back the IP address if the equipment with the MAC address is on the local network. A friend suggested setting a static ARP listing for a MAC address on my computer with an unused IP address, but that didn't work. Help? - Phil "Philip H. Schlesinger" <pschlesi@REMOVE-uci_ME.edu> wrote in message news:dvut6p$2jsu$1@news.grc.com... > Hi all. For the life of me, I can't remember what the name of the > software > that...

Asisgn IP address based on wildcard MAC addresses
We are using NetWare 6.5 DHCP in our environment. I would like to assign IP addresses to PCs based on the particular manufacturer ID in the MAC address, can this be done? I tried but the DNS/DHCP management console wouldn't accept the wildcard character in the MAC addresses field. Is there any way to workaround it? Will import accepts wildcard MAC? Thanks. AFAIK, th DHCP protocol does not support what you want, in any implementation, as it is not part of the DHCP standards. bd NSC Volunteer SysOp Thanks Brad. No problem. bd NSC Volunteer SysOp Hi,...

Web resources about - IP Address allocation by mac address - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Latent Dirichlet allocation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In natural language processing , latent Dirichlet allocation ( LDA ) is a generative model that allows sets of observations to be explained by ...

Scalable memory allocation using jemalloc
The Facebook website comprises a diverse set of server applications, most of which run on dedicated machines with 8+ CPU cores and 8+ GiB of ...

Facebook Lowers Viral Channel Allocation Limits for Developers with Unverified Personal Accounts
... in a thread on the Developer Forum that it had updated its application reputation system. One of the prominent changes listed was new allocation ...

What is a good explanation of Latent Dirichlet Allocation?
Answer (1 of 2): Suppose you have the following set of sentences: * I ate a banana and spinach smoothie for breakfast * I like to eat broccoli ...

Dubai World Cup 2015 saddle cloths allocations and race fields
The full list of horses entered into Dubai World Cup night's eight races, including the Dubai World Cup itself, horse racing's richest contest. ...

Parramatta light rail moves step closer with $400m allocation
The Baird government has announced $400 million to be reserved for a light rail system in Parramatta, allowing construction to start when a feasibility ...

Asset allocation can be the decider in super funds
There's a lot to consider when picking a super fund. Perhaps the most important factor is how your money is spread out.

Rugby World Cup 2015: Wales coach Warren Gatland hits out at ‘stupid’ pool allocation - The Courier-Mail ...
​WALES coach Warren Gatland has thanked Australia for helping them survive the pool of death but criticised World Rugby for a “stupid” system ...

Rugby World Cup 2015: Wales coach Warren Gatland hits out at ‘stupid’ pool allocation
​WALES coach Warren Gatland has thanked Australia for helping them survive the pool of death but criticised World Rugby for a “stupid” system ...

Asset allocation in retirement
What is a suitable asset mix for someone who is retired?