Internal DNS server (New to DNS)

We have an external DNS server (149.168.11.11) that resolves all our
exteral hosts and IP's. Have setup an internal to resolve our internal
Intranet hosts and IP's etc. Our domain name is nash.cc.nc.us or
nashcc.edu. I have installed DNS as well as management console.  We need
to have several INTERNAL host names to resolve: 10.1.2.12 -
www.nashcc.edu  10.1.13.3 - bb.nashcc.edu, email.nashcc.edu 10.1.2.15. The
DNS Server name is Ncc_Studdev, IP address 10.1.2.200, I have created a
Primary zone named NASHCC, as well as IN-ADDR.ARPA for each and a CNAME
and PTR record also. For example 12.2.1.10 IN-ADDR.ARPA with CNAME -
www.nashcc.edu and PTR www.nashcc.edu under it.

I have also created domain names: www.nashcc.edu with an A record
10.1.2.12.

What am I missing here?  Nothing is resolving.  I keep getting host
unknown.  I have the 10.1.2.200 set as my Primary DNS server.

Using Netware 5.0 for DNS.  Your help is greatly appreciated!!
0
mevans
3/9/2004 4:03:00 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> We have an external DNS server (149.168.11.11) that resolves all our
> exteral hosts and IP's. Have setup an internal to resolve our internal
> Intranet hosts and IP's etc. Our domain name is nash.cc.nc.us or
> nashcc.edu. I have installed DNS as well as management console.  We need
> to have several INTERNAL host names to resolve: 10.1.2.12 -
> www.nashcc.edu  10.1.13.3 - bb.nashcc.edu, email.nashcc.edu 10.1.2.15.
The
> DNS Server name is Ncc_Studdev, IP address 10.1.2.200, I have created a
> Primary zone named NASHCC, as well as IN-ADDR.ARPA for each and a CNAME
> and PTR record also. For example 12.2.1.10 IN-ADDR.ARPA with CNAME -
> www.nashcc.edu and PTR www.nashcc.edu under it.
>
> I have also created domain names: www.nashcc.edu with an A record
> 10.1.2.12.
>
> What am I missing here?  Nothing is resolving.  I keep getting host
> unknown.  I have the 10.1.2.200 set as my Primary DNS server.
>
> Using Netware 5.0 for DNS.  Your help is greatly appreciated!!

0
mevans
3/9/2004 8:26:57 PM
Not to demean all of your work so far, but here's what I think you need
-- if I'm on target, you should be able to dump all you've done so far
and build this...

1) Assuming a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 for your internal network,
create a Primary reverse lookup zone named 2.1.10.in-addr.arpa.  If
your mask is 255.255.0.0, make that 1.10.in-addr.arpa.  Make your DNS
server authoritative for the zone.

2) Create 2 Primary standard zones, www.nashcc.edu and www.nashcc.edu
-- make your DNS server authoritative for both.  Create an A record for
your DNS server, and additional A records for each internal host you
want to resolve.  As you create the A records, associated PTR records
will be created in your in-addr.arpa zone automatically.

3) Put your ISP's DNS server address(es) in your DNS server's
Forwarding List.

Restart NAMED -- you should be good to go.  And this will work as long
as you never need to resolve your external addresses from inside your
network.  If for some reason you do, we need a different strategy, or
you'll need to point your workstation to a different (public) DNS
server for resolution.

And in case you're wondering, your CNAME strategy will not work as the
names you use will be seen as CNAME.NASHCC, or using your examples,
www.nashcc.edu.NASHCC and www.nashcc.edu.NASHCC.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad
3/10/2004 4:57:54 AM
>Feel free to "slaughter" it if need be.  As you can see I am new at
this.  Our internal subnet is 255.0.0.0.  What should the reverse lookup
be with the mask being 255.0.0.0?
0
mevans
3/10/2004 7:31:24 PM
In article <g2K3c.4665$bs2.788@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>,  wrote:
> What should the reverse lookup
> be with the mask being 255.0.0.0?

10.in-addr.arpa

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

DNS UP
Hi We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been operating reasonably well. Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet) We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The internal DNS also seems fime. We have not made any changes to th...

DNS? What DNS?
This has never happened before and in light light of this morning's news about the DDOS I was wondering if it is just my machine or if something else is going on. Background: A firewall on one of my machines blocked IE from getting to the net. I wanted to trace where it was planning to go to (207.188.24.150)to figure out if this was just XP again or something else. I tried Neo Trace and PC Helps "Net Tracer" but neither can track it. All I get is "undetermined" or "timed out" Robin In article <3DB714A2.7050902@twcny.rr.com>, omeru...

GlobalNames DNS zone and NetWare DNS servers
We have a mix of NetWare 6.5 and Windows Server 2008 DNS servers. There is a forwarding zone in Novell that points to the Windows DNS servers for the DNS zone abc.xyz.local. Most workstations are configured for the DNS zone named xyz, so when they attempt to resolve a host name, they append xyz (i.e. webserver.xyz). Novell is primary for the xyz zone, and the workstations point to Novell, so it resolves properly. A few workstations are domain-joined, so they append abc.xyz.local (the AD domain name), turning webserver into webserver.abc.xyz.local. They also point to NetWare DNS, wh...

Netware DNS compatibility with other secondary DNS servers
I have a problem where the primary DNS information for a domain is on a Netware 6 server. The secondary is hosted by an ISP. When I look at the SOA information on the ISP, the serial number is always 0, the refresh is always the number that the matches the serial, the retry is the refresh number and so forth. Has anybody seen this? I've done this type of thing a couple times in the past and have searched here and other places and can't seem to find that anybody else has seen this....anybody have any ideas? Just wondering, why is an ISP hosting your secon...

External DNS
we are having the following 2 issues: 1 - After we connect to the Bordermanger 3.8 vpn server we are unable to acces any Internat WWW sites or ping any Internat sites - but we can ping an access all internal sites. 2 - we do have dns configured in IManager to send out DNS info to the VPN client - BUT we are ubable to ping internal servers by name only by ip.. please help Menachem Kain hi, > 1 - After we connect to the Bordermanger 3.8 vpn server we are unable to > acces any Internat WWW sites or ping any Internat sites - but we can ping an > access all intern...

DNS not forwarding to other dns servers
We had a problem the other day when we lost power on our external DNS server. Users out on the internet were not able to hit our website and do any resolutions to our Secure VPN gateway. When we used the URL address for the website it would not resolve. When we used the VPN Client it would not resolve the name to an address to access the VPN. If we used the IP address it would work. I was under the impression if my dns server went down anyone trying to resolve address to my domain would get the resolution from their DNS server since this information was cached in their DNS Server....

DNS Server Red X in DNS/DHCP Management Console
When I startup named.nlm, I get this: Starting eDirectory integrated Novell DNS Server... error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 1 failed; interface ignored error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 2 failed; interface ignored Loading the configuration and zone data completed. DNS Server running I can't seem to find any info on any of those errors. Also, in the DNS/DHCP Management Console it shows up as a red X. Other than that, it seems t...

Changing dns-filter-exceptions results in blocked internal dns-server
So far we used the filter exceptions comming with brdmgr 3.6 and our internal dns-server (named.nlm on NW6) worked just fine. Today we switched the dns-exceptions (udp and tcp) to what Craig Johnson suggested in his book "Beginners Guide of Configurating Filter Exceptions" with setting up new filter definitions and the dns-server seemed to get blocked. Backreved to the standard filter exceptions and dns-server was fine again with name-resolution working again. Any help or hint is appreciated. Sincerely Karl Kunze Do you mean that when the internal DNS servers try...

New DNS servers need to change Netware servers.
I need to know where to chage the DNS server ip address's that was loaded at install time because our internet provider has changed DNS servers on us. The place for primar and Secondary DNS servers. > I need to know where to chage the DNS server ip address's that was loaded > at install time because our internet provider has changed DNS servers on > us. The place for primar and Secondary DNS servers. load INETCFG at the server console-->Protocols-->TCP/IP-->DNS Resolver configuration jvaz, > load INETCFG at the server console-->Protocols-->...

Netware DNS server won't zone transfer to Windows DNS
I am currently looking to setup DNS servers to serve 70 domains and am using a netware server as the primary DNS. I have configured a Windows 2003 server to hold the secondary dns zones but cannot get the windows server to load the zone. It states the Transfer of data from the zone master failed. If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated. Graeme Versions please... NetWare? Service Pack? NAMED.NLM? bd NSC Volunteer SysOp gmurphy@three.com.au wrote: > I am currently looking to setup DNS servers to serve 70 domains and am > using a netware server as ...

0.0.0.0 for DNS server IP address in DNS/DHCP console
In DNS/DHCP management console I have a red X accross the DNS server object which doesn't go away and it shows 0.0.0.0 in the DNS Server IP Address field instead of actuall DNS server IP address. How can I edit it and change it to the correct server IP address? Any help would be appreciated -- nsafa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nsafa, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not...

DNS security patch
Hi, running NW65SP7. I see since Aug 8th (TID#5032400) the security patch for the popular DNS issues has now been posted. What I'm wondering about is it necessary to post this to your server if your DNS is only used for internal queries? That is the DNS cannot be queried from outside the firewall? If not needed when an internal DNS only, then I won't bother installing and risking my environment, since there's no other fix mentioned in the release. Cheers James Jjb, > That is the DNS cannot be queried from outside the > firewall? Do you trust t...

Web resources about - Internal DNS server (New to DNS) - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Empire of Japan (internal politics 1914–1944) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Since the Meiji period, Japan had been a nominal constitutional monarchy , but the name did not obscure the fact that Japan’s form of government ...

Paris attacks: Immigration Minister Peter Dutton rejects internal call from state MP Andrew Fraser to ...
Peter Dutton shuts down a call from New South Wales MP Andrew Fraser for Australia to stop accepting Middle Eastern refugees.

iPad Pro Smart Keyboard teardown shows off clever internals, scores 0/10 for repairability
... may be in short supply worldwide but that doesn’t stop iFixit from tearing them down. The Apple Pencil teardown demonstrated some clever internal ...

Tomatoes taste good because we slowed down their internal clocks
(credit: National Park Service ) Tomatoes were probably first domesticated in the Andean region of Peru and Ecuador. From there, cultivation ...

Autoblog Minute: VW finds CO2 'irregularities' after internal investigation
Filed under: Videos , Volkswagen , Emissions , Autoblog Minute The Volkswagen emissions scandal expands in scope, likely including gas cars in ...

New analytics platform helps detect internal attacks
... actions. To provide organizations with additional context and more accuracy to detect malicious attacks, even those that originate internally, ...

Oracle has a crack internal team building a completely new cloud — here's what we know so far
... is apparently in favor with Oracle leadership now, that doesn't mean the old one is slated for the scrap heap — Ellison is known to spur internal ...

Apple employees have a LOT to say about the company's secretive internal culture
... not be responding to this question, nor would I feel wronged for not being able to." Apple makes grammar and punctuation changes in its internal ...

Mobile Apps: The Next Big Thing for Internal Communications
Internal communications is on the brink of the next big movement for employee engagement and interaction: mobile apps. Straight from the app ...

Internal GOP memo outlines plan if Trump wins nomination
The person who oversees 2016 GOP Senate races issued a memo to staffers in September imagining Trump as the nominee