getting a socket.c:2884 error when trying to start DNS server

In starting a secondary DNS server, NAMED.RUN shows:

general: main: error: socket.c:2884: unexpected error:
general: main: error: bind: No buffer space available
general: main: error: bind: No buffer space available
general: server: error: could not get query source dispatcher unexpected error
general: server: debug 1: load_configuration: unexpected error
general: server: critical: loading configuration: unexpected error
general: server: critical: exiting (due to fatal error)

An IN-ADDR object had been moved in the tree prior to this while the
secondary DNS server was up.  The DNS server was restarted, the DNS server
object removed and recreated, and the ETC\DNS directory emptied (stored in
backup dir), but we still see the same error.  Any ideas on what this error
means?

Elliott

0
elliott
2/13/2007 8:46:37 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Sorry, no idea on the error message itself.  Is NDS healthy on this
server?  Throughout your tree?

If NDS is healthy, you may need to export your zones and subnets, use
'dnipinst -r' to wipe out your setup, run 'dnipinst' to reinstall,
recreate DNS and DHCP servers, then import your subnets and zones.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad
2/15/2007 2:14:13 AM
yuk . . . I was thinking the same thing.

Maybe I'll get lucky and find something broken in my NDS sync.

> Sorry, no idea on the error message itself.  Is NDS healthy on this
> server?  Throughout your tree?
>
> If NDS is healthy, you may need to export your zones and subnets, use
> 'dnipinst -r' to wipe out your setup, run 'dnipinst' to reinstall,
> recreate DNS and DHCP servers, then import your subnets and zones.
>
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
elliottDOTscott
2/16/2007 4:15:26 AM
As a test, I did this to one of my sandbox servers.  It didn't seem all
that painful.  Of course my production environment is a little different
(bigger).  I'll give it try after hours.

> yuk . . . I was thinking the same thing.
>
> Maybe I'll get lucky and find something broken in my NDS sync.
>
> > Sorry, no idea on the error message itself.  Is NDS healthy on this
> > server?  Throughout your tree?
> >
> > If NDS is healthy, you may need to export your zones and subnets, use
> > 'dnipinst -r' to wipe out your setup, run 'dnipinst' to reinstall,
> > recreate DNS and DHCP servers, then import your subnets and zones.
> >
> > bd
> > NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
elliottDOTscott
2/16/2007 5:07:38 AM
In article <u_aBh.946$rL6.66@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>,  wrote:
> As a test, I did this to one of my sandbox servers.  It didn't seem all
> that painful.  Of course my production environment is a little different
> (bigger).  I'll give it try after hours.

Sounds good.  Best of luck, and please ensure that NDS is healthy before
you start deleting and creating objects in the tree!

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

Netware DNS compatibility with other secondary DNS servers
I have a problem where the primary DNS information for a domain is on a Netware 6 server. The secondary is hosted by an ISP. When I look at the SOA information on the ISP, the serial number is always 0, the refresh is always the number that the matches the serial, the retry is the refresh number and so forth. Has anybody seen this? I've done this type of thing a couple times in the past and have searched here and other places and can't seem to find that anybody else has seen this....anybody have any ideas? Just wondering, why is an ISP hosting your secon...

GlobalNames DNS zone and NetWare DNS servers
We have a mix of NetWare 6.5 and Windows Server 2008 DNS servers. There is a forwarding zone in Novell that points to the Windows DNS servers for the DNS zone abc.xyz.local. Most workstations are configured for the DNS zone named xyz, so when they attempt to resolve a host name, they append xyz (i.e. webserver.xyz). Novell is primary for the xyz zone, and the workstations point to Novell, so it resolves properly. A few workstations are domain-joined, so they append abc.xyz.local (the AD domain name), turning webserver into webserver.abc.xyz.local. They also point to NetWare DNS, wh...

DDNS
--____OGIJWEIFSZWDFEMDUXEK____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Thu, 10 Jan 2007 09:40:29 -0500" We have a Netware 6.5 sp5 server running DHCP and I recently setup a SLES = 10 DNS server, and now i want to dynamically add my workstation hostnames = to the DNS server. I've setup DDNS on the SLES 10 side and generated my = TSIG Private and public keys, but I'm not sure how to get the public keys = to my clients. I'm assuming i would use DHCP, but do not see...

Trying to start a second DNS server
I have an existing Netware 6.5 SP8 DNS server running on our main server. I have another Netware 6.5 server that I would like to run as a second instance that can resolve when the other server is down. I added the DN-DHCP services to the second server using "Install" in the Netware GUI and it shows as installed. However, when I try to "load named.nlm" on the second server I see this: Starting eDirectory integrated Novell DNS Server... critical: Unable to read locator reference from NCP server critical: eDirectory login failed with error -10 critical: Failed to ...

DNS? What DNS?
This has never happened before and in light light of this morning's news about the DDOS I was wondering if it is just my machine or if something else is going on. Background: A firewall on one of my machines blocked IE from getting to the net. I wanted to trace where it was planning to go to (207.188.24.150)to figure out if this was just XP again or something else. I tried Neo Trace and PC Helps "Net Tracer" but neither can track it. All I get is "undetermined" or "timed out" Robin In article <3DB714A2.7050902@twcny.rr.com>, omeru...

Which server should be DHCP/DNS server?
It makes sense that the BM server is also the DNS server - does it matter which server is the DHCP server, perhaps in terms of speed of logging in, etc.? Is it possible to have the DNS server be other than the BM server? Just want to know if this matters from a system design point of view. Network in question has 4 Netware servers and 1 Windows server. TIA. -S- In article <B2%Uf.9742$_K3.9291@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Steve Freides wrote: > It makes sense that the BM server is also the DNS server - does it > matter which server is the DHCP server, ...

DNS UP
Hi We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been operating reasonably well. Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet) We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The internal DNS also seems fime. We have not made any changes to th...

migrate DNS from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server
Are there any instructions for moving the dns from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server and maintaining the databases? I don't want to have to reenter all of my special DNS info again. Also, when I change the DNS server, I would like to maintain the same IP address for the DNS service. I know I could do an add secondary ipaddress, but is there anything I need to do in the DNS setup to have it respond to that secondary ipaddress rather than the ip address that is on my netware 6 server already? If the 2 servers are in the same NDS tree, simply create the ...

DNS Suffixs in Netware DHCP server
I am trying to configure our Netware DHCP server to send out the Domain DNS Suffix search order. Is this possible? If so where do you do the configuration? Any help would be great! Thanks Much! Mike TID 10060439 any help ? Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ well it answered my question, you can not use DHCP to push domain suffixs. Thanks "Dave Parkes" <Dave@Norgren.co.uk> wrote in message news:xn0fbckkj1gipux00k@forums.novell.com... > TID 10060439 any help ? > > Cheers D...

DNS Server Red X in DNS/DHCP Management Console
When I startup named.nlm, I get this: Starting eDirectory integrated Novell DNS Server... error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 1 failed; interface ignored error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 2 failed; interface ignored Loading the configuration and zone data completed. DNS Server running I can't seem to find any info on any of those errors. Also, in the DNS/DHCP Management Console it shows up as a red X. Other than that, it seems t...

socket.c:3214 errors in dns
Hi, In the console we see the following errors repeatedly after installing NW6.5SP3 erreo socket c:3214: unexpected error: error: internal_connect: connect() software caused connection abort. Any ideas how to resolve this? Thanks, William Blokland Is this somehow related to DNS or DHCP? If not, you need to repost to the Netware.6X forums. If yes, how is it related? bd NSC Volunteer SysOp This error we get in DNS SERVER console. I unload and load named.nlm en after a couple of hours these errors come. regards, William > Is this somehow related to ...

ZAP Blocking DNS.exe trying to access Microsoft DNS Server?
I'm willing to bet someone has talked about this before. But, since I can't find anything on it I figured I'd ask. ;) What I just saw was ZAP blocking dns.exe from accessing dns1.cp.msft.net (207.46.138.20). I did a whois on this IP address to get the hostname and it is registered to Microsoft. My question is, does anyone know WHY dns.exe does this? I can't seem to think of any practical reason. I've blocked access to this and other Microsoft DNS servers with ZAP. Has anyone else done this and had any bad results? Brian I should really be more specif...

Web resources about - getting a socket.c:2884 error when trying to start DNS server - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

GOP Candidates Court Jewish Coalition
Donald Trump and Ben Carson each stumbled Thursday at a forum hosted by the Republican Jewish Coalition, a constituency that’s particularly influential ...

Amy Poehler Receives Her Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame!
Amy Poehler sits down next to her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Thursday afternoon (December 3) in Hollywood. The 44-year-old actress ...

Apple TV Is The Latest Step In The Disintermediation Of Media
The trend toward direct connections between video content creators and their audiences is well underway, but the new Apple TV could finally push ...

Oscar Pistorius Verdict Changed To Murder: Will He Get The Maximum?
In a stunning turn of events, former Paralympic and Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius has been convicted of murdering his then-girlfriend, Reeva ...

Craig Federighi explains motivation behind making Swift open source & what the future holds
Earlier today Apple made good on its promise and released source code for its Swift programming language to the public . To go along with making ...

Helen Mirren Worried Hubby Taylor Hackford Wouldn't Make Love To Her Again After She Played 'The Queen' ...
Helen Mirren rocks a floral dress while attending a special cocktail reception for her latest film Women In Gold held at the House of Elyx on ...

DefSec Carter Announces All Military Combat Roles Will Now Be Open to Women
There are various combat roles that, for years, women have been restricted from fulfilling in the United States military. The 1994 Combat Exclusion ...

Game Of Thrones Season 6 Trailer Teases Jon Snow’s Destiny But Doesn’t Answer Any Questions
There’s a new Game of Thrones season 6 out today and it isn’t really answering the question that most fans have on their lips: is Jon Snow (Kit ...

Scotland Yard investigates death threats made to MPs on social media over Syria vote
A Labour MP received a message which contained images of knives and said 'u voted for airstrikes in syria, if i see u round ends'

Google Play Now Reportedly Allowing Split Payments
The thing about buying credit on app stores is that because of the way apps are priced (and priced differently), what happens is that sometimes ...