DNS server behind router using SUA

I seem to have a problem getting my DNS server running on a NW6
server.

The dns server ip address is 192.168.1.x and the router is configured
and
have port 53 open on the router, also on the router I have SUA
enabled, i.e.
allow public ip address to pass thru to the private ip address for the

server.

I see on the server ns.bellglobal.net did a query, but in my email
message
from the domain register, I get this error:

Error: (532) Domain names linked with name server;
Any idea's on this one?

John
8/22/2003 1:37:21 AM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

What specific problem are you experiencing?  Can't send email?  Can't

receive email?  Can't browse the internet?

What SP is installed on the server, and what version of NAMED is
running?

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad
8/22/2003 2:34:30 AM
The problem is when the other DNS servers on the internet try to
update
there dns tables. As I configured my netware server as a master dns
server
for my zone.

Locally I can send email, receive email and browse the web ok using
the
internal dns server.

"Brad Doster" <bd@NSCSysOps.net> wrote in message
> What specific problem are you experiencing?  Can't send email?
Can't
> receive email?  Can't browse the internet?
>
> What SP is installed on the server, and what version of NAMED is
> running?
>
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp
> www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
John
8/22/2003 2:53:41 AM
In article <VAf1b.8389$586.6844@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, John
wrote:
> The problem is when the other DNS servers on the internet try to
update
> there dns tables. As I configured my netware server as a master dns
server
> for my zone.

OK, is there a public server that is Primary for your domain?  If so
then
you can't also be Primary unless your DNS server is only for private
use and
will never be seen on the internet.

What domain are we talking about?

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad
8/22/2003 3:54:36 AM
I want to have the dns server to be seen on the internet, BUT the dns
server
has a private ip address, not a public one, and the router is suppose
to do
the translation for me.

So, here is my setup in detail

DNS server private ip address 192.168.1.99 (private ip address)
ip address of router 22.33.44.66 (public ip address)

On the router I opened port 53, the dns port and in the SUA settings I
put
in the private ip address 192.168.1.99

For the DNS server, should I have any other ports open besides port
53?

> In article <VAf1b.8389$586.6844@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, John
wrote:
> > The problem is when the other DNS servers on the internet try to
update
> > there dns tables. As I configured my netware server as a master
dns
server
> > for my zone.
> >
> OK, is there a public server that is Primary for your domain?  If so
then
> you can't also be Primary unless your DNS server is only for private
use
and
> will never be seen on the internet.
>
> What domain are we talking about?
>
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp
> www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
John
8/22/2003 4:15:54 AM
OK, I'm not sure what SUA stands for but it appears to be PAT (Port
Address Translation)... anything addressed to port 53 at address
22.33.44.66 should be sent to 192.168.1.99, correct?  If so, then that

*should* be OK.  However I cannot use NSLOOKUP with 22.33.44.66 as the

DNS server address to resolve any queries -- all attempts timeout.

I presume the router is also your firewall?

Try going to dnsreport.com and entering your zone there to see what
you
get (I was going to try but you still haven't revealed what the zone
name is...).

I suspect an issue with your router/firewall, but have no way to test

beyond what I've already done.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad
8/22/2003 2:00:23 PM
Brad,

Brad Doster wrote:
> However I cannot use NSLOOKUP with 22.33.44.66 as the
> DNS server address to resolve any queries -- all attempts timeout.

Look again at the IP. You didn't really expect that this is for real,
did you?

I always find it funny how many people try to obfuscate their public
IP
addresses as if that would be classified top secret. Unfortunately all

they reach is that we can't help them. The Groupwise forums are full
of
this. Lucky enough the same people often use their real email domain
when posting. <bg>

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

0
Massimo
8/24/2003 7:43:02 AM
Mmmm... good point.  Sometimes I feel like I chose the wrong
profession... shoulda been a dentist! <bg>

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad
8/24/2003 5:15:44 PM
Brad,

Brad Doster wrote:

> Mmmm... good point.  Sometimes I feel like I chose the wrong
> profession... shoulda been a dentist! <bg>

LOL

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop

0
Massimo

DDNS
--____OGIJWEIFSZWDFEMDUXEK____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Thu, 10 Jan 2007 09:40:29 -0500" We have a Netware 6.5 sp5 server running DHCP and I recently setup a SLES = 10 DNS server, and now i want to dynamically add my workstation hostnames = to the DNS server. I've setup DDNS on the SLES 10 side and generated my = TSIG Private and public keys, but I'm not sure how to get the public keys = to my clients. I'm assuming i would use DHCP, but do not see...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

What DNS server is used when using a proxy server?
Hey to all :) When you are using an anonymous proxy-server for the internet what happens with the translation of typed URLs to the IP address? What DNS server is used for the URL translation of the websites you visit? 1. The DNS server of your ISP or 2. the DNS server of the anonymous proxy server? Or in other words, who manages the URL translation for the visited websites: your ISP or the anonymous proxy server? Thanx in advance, Little Admin On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:45:32 +0100, Little Admin <i-do-not-have-email@hotmail.com> wrote: > When you are us...

Netware DNS compatibility with other secondary DNS servers
I have a problem where the primary DNS information for a domain is on a Netware 6 server. The secondary is hosted by an ISP. When I look at the SOA information on the ISP, the serial number is always 0, the refresh is always the number that the matches the serial, the retry is the refresh number and so forth. Has anybody seen this? I've done this type of thing a couple times in the past and have searched here and other places and can't seem to find that anybody else has seen this....anybody have any ideas? Just wondering, why is an ISP hosting your secon...

GlobalNames DNS zone and NetWare DNS servers
We have a mix of NetWare 6.5 and Windows Server 2008 DNS servers. There is a forwarding zone in Novell that points to the Windows DNS servers for the DNS zone abc.xyz.local. Most workstations are configured for the DNS zone named xyz, so when they attempt to resolve a host name, they append xyz (i.e. webserver.xyz). Novell is primary for the xyz zone, and the workstations point to Novell, so it resolves properly. A few workstations are domain-joined, so they append abc.xyz.local (the AD domain name), turning webserver into webserver.abc.xyz.local. They also point to NetWare DNS, wh...

Using a DNS behind a router
I'm getting into deep water and need help. I've set up a server using 11.3 and ISPConfig 2. The problem is that I barely understand DNS. So the question is - If I set up two domains through ISPConfig do I have the registrar have BOTH domains pointed to my IP address and then let my DNServer figure out where to send requests or do I have to have 2 different IP addresses? Thanks Jim -- SuSE 11.2 on a HP-dv7-3057nr with AMD Vision 2.2 GHZ 64bit processor. 4096 RAM and 500 Gb HDD. Server is an OLD Gateway e-3400 with SuSE 11.3 and lighttpd. ------------------------...

Whether to use Netware for DNS/DHCP?
We have always used static IPs. We have about 300 users. Let's say they are spread equally inside of 192.168.a.b where a is 1, 2 or 3 depending on the floor or location you are in. We have always just pointed people to our ISP for DNS. Lately we have been considering going to DHCP and bringing the DNS in-house so we have a little more flexibility. The thing is, everyone on my staff including myself has used these service on Win2k or 2003 server and are familiar with them. We are debating whther to just throw one of these out there to do it or learn the Netware way. Mos...

DNS? What DNS?
This has never happened before and in light light of this morning's news about the DDOS I was wondering if it is just my machine or if something else is going on. Background: A firewall on one of my machines blocked IE from getting to the net. I wanted to trace where it was planning to go to (207.188.24.150)to figure out if this was just XP again or something else. I tried Neo Trace and PC Helps "Net Tracer" but neither can track it. All I get is "undetermined" or "timed out" Robin In article <3DB714A2.7050902@twcny.rr.com>, omeru...

DNS Suffixs in Netware DHCP server
I am trying to configure our Netware DHCP server to send out the Domain DNS Suffix search order. Is this possible? If so where do you do the configuration? Any help would be great! Thanks Much! Mike TID 10060439 any help ? Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ well it answered my question, you can not use DHCP to push domain suffixs. Thanks "Dave Parkes" <Dave@Norgren.co.uk> wrote in message news:xn0fbckkj1gipux00k@forums.novell.com... > TID 10060439 any help ? > > Cheers D...

Which server should be DHCP/DNS server?
It makes sense that the BM server is also the DNS server - does it matter which server is the DHCP server, perhaps in terms of speed of logging in, etc.? Is it possible to have the DNS server be other than the BM server? Just want to know if this matters from a system design point of view. Network in question has 4 Netware servers and 1 Windows server. TIA. -S- In article <B2%Uf.9742$_K3.9291@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Steve Freides wrote: > It makes sense that the BM server is also the DNS server - does it > matter which server is the DHCP server, ...

DNS UP
Hi We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been operating reasonably well. Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet) We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The internal DNS also seems fime. We have not made any changes to th...

DNS Server Red X in DNS/DHCP Management Console
When I startup named.nlm, I get this: Starting eDirectory integrated Novell DNS Server... error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 1 failed; interface ignored error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 2 failed; interface ignored Loading the configuration and zone data completed. DNS Server running I can't seem to find any info on any of those errors. Also, in the DNS/DHCP Management Console it shows up as a red X. Other than that, it seems t...

migrate DNS from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server
Are there any instructions for moving the dns from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server and maintaining the databases? I don't want to have to reenter all of my special DNS info again. Also, when I change the DNS server, I would like to maintain the same IP address for the DNS service. I know I could do an add secondary ipaddress, but is there anything I need to do in the DNS setup to have it respond to that secondary ipaddress rather than the ip address that is on my netware 6 server already? If the 2 servers are in the same NDS tree, simply create the ...

Web resources about - DNS server behind router using SUA - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Turkey internet servers under sustained cyber attack: internet body
Turkish internet servers have suffered one of the most intense cyberattacks ever seen in the country over the past week, raising fears Ankara ...

Cock.li e-mail server seized by German authorities, admin announces
(credit: Vincent Canfield ) In a new video statement posted on Monday, the administrator of novelty e-mail provider cock.li announced that one ...

Amazon deal: Save $85 on this Sony portable wireless server
Smartphones' memory storage gets filled so quickly these days thanks to photos, videos and more, so get yourself a handy portable wireless server ...

Facebook releases design for its souped-up A.I. server, 'Big Sur'
Facebook is releasing the hardware design for a server it uses to train artificial intelligence (A.I.) software, allowing other companies exploring ...

Applebee’s Server Returns $32,000 In Cash Family Accidentally Left On The Table
... and scored a huge tip from some abnormally generous person, and you figure the money is yours to keep. Or, if you’re like one Applebee’s server ...

Sanders’ Apology Over Data Breach Comes Six Months Faster Than Clinton’s Apology Over Private Server
Sanders’ Apology Over Data Breach Comes Six Months Faster Than Clinton’s Apology Over Private Server

Digitimes Research: Qualcomm to enter server market with 24-core CPUs
Qualcomm, which announced plans to begin developing ARM-based chips for servers in November 2014, has started delivering server-use CPU samples ...

Hillary Clinton's private server had two 'top secret' emails
Those concerns that Hillary Clinton's private email server had classified intel? They're apparently well-founded. Sources for Fox News and Politico ...

Facebook Open Sources Its 'Big Sur' AI Servers
The company hopes to accelerate innovation around deep learning by contributing the GPU-based system designs to the OCP.