DNS not forwarding to other dns servers

We had a problem the other day when we lost power on our external DNS
server. Users out on the internet were not able to hit our website and
do any resolutions to our Secure VPN gateway. When we used the URL
address for the website it would not resolve. When we used the VPN
Client it would not resolve the name to an address to access the VPN. If
we used the IP address it would work.

I was under the impression if my dns server went down anyone trying to
resolve address to my domain would get the resolution from their DNS
server since this information was cached in their DNS Server.

My forwarders are pointing to DNS server downstream on our Cable modem.

I must have the wrong impression on how DNS is supposed to work. Anyway
once we brought the server back up resolutions happened again.

Any ideas thanks

--
asalazar

asalazar
1/8/2010 1:26:01 AM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

asalazar,

correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://support.novell.com/forums/

0
Automatic

asalazar wrote:

> We had a problem the other day when we lost power on our external DNS
> server. Users out on the internet were not able to hit our website and
> do any resolutions to our Secure VPN gateway. When we used the URL
> address for the website it would not resolve. When we used the VPN
> Client it would not resolve the name to an address to access the VPN. If
> we used the IP address it would work.
>
> I was under the impression if my dns server went down anyone trying to
> resolve address to my domain would get the resolution from their DNS
> server since this information was cached in their DNS Server.

Only as long as the TTL hasn't expired, and that could happen basically
within minutes after your server is down, depending on when the other
DNS server has contacted your server last. E.G, if the TTL of your zone
is 12 hours, and a DNS server on the internat has contacted you last 11
hours and 50 minutes ago, 10 minutes into the outage that server will
stop resolving names for you. Or, of course (and that's even more
likely), that DNS server hasn't cached your data at all.

> My forwarders are pointing to DNS server downstream on our Cable modem.

That's completely unrelated. If you want your DNS to be more reliable,
you need a secondary DNS server elsewhere, potentially one of your ISP.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

DNS? What DNS?
This has never happened before and in light light of this morning's news about the DDOS I was wondering if it is just my machine or if something else is going on. Background: A firewall on one of my machines blocked IE from getting to the net. I wanted to trace where it was planning to go to (207.188.24.150)to figure out if this was just XP again or something else. I tried Neo Trace and PC Helps "Net Tracer" but neither can track it. All I get is "undetermined" or "timed out" Robin In article <3DB714A2.7050902@twcny.rr.com>, omeru...

DNS UP
Hi We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been operating reasonably well. Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet) We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The internal DNS also seems fime. We have not made any changes to th...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

Netware DNS compatibility with other secondary DNS servers
I have a problem where the primary DNS information for a domain is on a Netware 6 server. The secondary is hosted by an ISP. When I look at the SOA information on the ISP, the serial number is always 0, the refresh is always the number that the matches the serial, the retry is the refresh number and so forth. Has anybody seen this? I've done this type of thing a couple times in the past and have searched here and other places and can't seem to find that anybody else has seen this....anybody have any ideas? Just wondering, why is an ISP hosting your secon...

GlobalNames DNS zone and NetWare DNS servers
We have a mix of NetWare 6.5 and Windows Server 2008 DNS servers. There is a forwarding zone in Novell that points to the Windows DNS servers for the DNS zone abc.xyz.local. Most workstations are configured for the DNS zone named xyz, so when they attempt to resolve a host name, they append xyz (i.e. webserver.xyz). Novell is primary for the xyz zone, and the workstations point to Novell, so it resolves properly. A few workstations are domain-joined, so they append abc.xyz.local (the AD domain name), turning webserver into webserver.abc.xyz.local. They also point to NetWare DNS, wh...

DNS forwarding to 'unknown' DNS server/
We are netware 5.1. I have 2 DNS server, both are configured with a forward address. On our firewall, i have seen that my dns servers are making request (sometimes) to others serves. Some address are in the rootserverinfo (m.roots-erver, ...) and other names like blackhole-1.iana.org. I don't understand why it looks for m.roots-server ... because my forwardings are configured and why it looks for black.... Are you sure those requests are from your DNS server and not from workstations on your network? You might download DBGLOG.EXE -- with it you can record the NAME...

DNS Forwarders to Microsoft DNS
We have 80% of our network on Novell Netware and use DHCP and DNS on Novell servers. Recently there have been implementations of Microsoft Active Directory installations and we were told that Microsoft does not support Novell DNS and we are therefore having to keep a Microsoft DNS. I have set a forwarder on my DNS server that points to the IP address of my Windows 2003 server and thought that if the Novell DNS could not reply it would be forwarded to the Win2003 DNS, it isn't working though, any ideas? Mark We have 4 Novell DNS servers and I have just not...

DNS Server Red X in DNS/DHCP Management Console
When I startup named.nlm, I get this: Starting eDirectory integrated Novell DNS Server... error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 1 failed; interface ignored error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 2 failed; interface ignored Loading the configuration and zone data completed. DNS Server running I can't seem to find any info on any of those errors. Also, in the DNS/DHCP Management Console it shows up as a red X. Other than that, it seems t...

Netware DNS server won't zone transfer to Windows DNS
I am currently looking to setup DNS servers to serve 70 domains and am using a netware server as the primary DNS. I have configured a Windows 2003 server to hold the secondary dns zones but cannot get the windows server to load the zone. It states the Transfer of data from the zone master failed. If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated. Graeme Versions please... NetWare? Service Pack? NAMED.NLM? bd NSC Volunteer SysOp gmurphy@three.com.au wrote: > I am currently looking to setup DNS servers to serve 70 domains and am > using a netware server as ...

0.0.0.0 for DNS server IP address in DNS/DHCP console
In DNS/DHCP management console I have a red X accross the DNS server object which doesn't go away and it shows 0.0.0.0 in the DNS Server IP Address field instead of actuall DNS server IP address. How can I edit it and change it to the correct server IP address? Any help would be appreciated -- nsafa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nsafa, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not...

Propagate DNS Settings to Other DNS Servers
My server is the Authoratitive DNS server for my domain. if the NAMED service is down, no one can resolve to my web site. It seems as if my DNS settings are not propogating to other DNS servers on the Internet to be cached there. What settings do I have to change to make this happen ? Steve -- Other DNS servers are not responsible for caching your DNS info. If they have to resolve names using your server, they may cache that info so they don't have to ask your server for it every time, but even then the caching is probably only for a short time. The only way t...

DNS statistics show DNS servers are down
Using BM3.6 on Netware 4.11. All patches current, SP9 for NW, BM36SP2A and C02 update. Have 3 DNS server IP addresses in my resolv.cfg, 2 from SBC and 1 from Cogent Co. 2nd (SBC) is in up state and 1st (SBC) and 3rd (Cognt CO) show down. Yet a ping to each of the 3 addresses is successful 100 percent of the time. Was wondering what might be causing this and how to fix it. Thanks in advance for any help. JIm Boettger Hi Jim, Have you checked if DNS (NAMED) is actually running on the "down" servers. PING will see if the server is running, but won...

NW65 DNS as public DNS Server?
We have 2 NW6 servers that provide DNS for our ISP that host web, email and several other services. The servers perform well in our enviroment. I want to upgrade the servers to NW65 but I wanted some input first before we made the change. 1. Is anyone using NW65 DNS for public DNS in a fairly heavily loaded enviroment? 2. If so, how is the reliability and performance? 3. Any significant changes I should know about? When we first installed the NW6 DNS Servers we had a not of problems that took a great deal of time and effort to get resolved due to a bad ver of named...

Web resources about - DNS not forwarding to other dns servers - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Call forwarding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Call forwarding , or call diversion , is a telephony feature of some telephone switching systems which redirects a telephone call to another ...

Facebook Messenger For IOS Adds Groups, Message Forwarding
Facebook released version 4.0 of its Messenger application for iOS , and the major additions were the ability to create groups , and the ability ...

Choice urges IP spoofing for better IT prices - Parliament, House, prices, iTunes, guide, US forwarding ...
Consumers should spoof their IP address and use US forwarding addresses to beat high IT prices in Australia, consumer advocacy group Choice said. ...

Martin Taupau email mix-up highlights legal risks of forwarding misdirected message
An incredible email mix-up gave a Canadian theatre critic a cracking NRL scoop &ndash; and potentially a legal headache.

VPN Routing & Forwarding Instance_网络子站_IT专家网
VRF-VPN路由转发实例(VPN Routing & Forwarding Instance) VPN Routing & Forwarding Instance

Facebook Messenger updated to version 4.0 with groups and message forwarding
... 4.0 Groups: Now you can create groups for the people you message most. Name them, set group photos and keep them all in one place Forwarding: ...

Facebook Messenger For IOS Adds Groups, Message Forwarding - SocialTimes
Facebook released version 4.0 of its Messenger application for iOS , and the major additions were the ability to create groups , and the ability ...

Sprint StarStar Me offers vanity phone numbers and controlled call forwarding
Sprint has kicked off a new add-on service today called StarStar Me. For $2.99/month, subscribers can register a new number that's accessed by ...

Facebook Messenger 4.0 Features Easy Group Creation And Message Forwarding
... , its messaging-focused app, to version 4.0 on iOS. Facebook Messenger 4.0 introduces a couple of significant new features: groups and forwarding. ...