DNS config for IP port

I would like to know if it is possible
to set up a DNS record to point to specific ip port. I want to set up
an
internal web app that I can have my users type in a name and go to the
web
server on a specific port. For example: type in "Calendar" in the URL
and
have it go to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:82. This is on NW6sp3. TIA

Richard G

0
Richard
7/29/2003 3:40:07 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> I would like to know if it is possible
> to set up a DNS record to point to specific ip port. I want to set
up an
> internal web app that I can have my users type in a name and go to
the web
> server on a specific port. For example: type in "Calendar" in the
URL and
> have it go to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:82. This is on NW6sp3. TIA

No. Really, this is handled by the browser - the browser 'assumes'
port 80
if no other port is mentioned. About the best way around this sort of
thing
is to have some other page the user goes to that is "normal" do a
redirect
to the special port you want to use. Or, if you have a
portal/intranet/etc,
simply put a link in with the port number as part of the link.

John

Novell Product Support Forums SysOp
John's Tips & Links Page:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstoecker/novell/

#include disclaim.h:
# My opinions are not necessarily those of Novell
# or its employees or even the other forum sysops or regulars.
posted using Xananews 1.15.3.1

0
John
7/29/2003 7:28:06 PM
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____

additional information, there are webservers that will "interpret" the
URL =
and you can have one webserver that runs one set of HTML and another
that =
runs another, then when a user types in xxx.web1.com it will go to the
one =
webserver, and when a user types in xxx.web2.com it will go to the =
other.... Maybe that will help you?

>>> John Stoecker [SysOp]<jstoeckerAT@SIGNkwtennPER.IODcom> 2003-07-29
=
13:28:06 >>>

> I would like to know if it is possible
> to set up a DNS record to point to specific ip port. I want to set
up an
> internal web app that I can have my users type in a name and go to
the =
web
> server on a specific port. For example: type in "Calendar" in the
URL =
and
> have it go to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:82. This is on NW6sp3. TIA

No. Really, this is handled by the browser - the browser 'assumes'
port 80
if no other port is mentioned. About the best way around this sort of
=
thing
is to have some other page the user goes to that is "normal" do a
redirect
to the special port you want to use. Or, if you have a
portal/intranet/etc,=

simply put a link in with the port number as part of the link.

John

--=20
Novell Product Support Forums SysOp
John's Tips & Links Page:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstoecker/novell/

#include disclaim.h:
# My opinions are not necessarily those of Novell=20
# or its employees or even the other forum sysops or regulars.
posted using Xananews 1.15.3.1

--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____

--____WHPEPQYSAQXEHDGESJXG____

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;
charset=3Diso-8859-1"=

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN: 4px 4px 1px; FONT: 10pt Courier New">additional
=
information, there are webservers that will "interpret" the URL and
you =
can have one webserver that runs&nbsp;one set of HTML&nbsp;and another
=
that runs&nbsp;another, then when a user types in xxx.web1.com it will
go =
to the one webserver, and when a user types in xxx.web2.com it will go
to =
the other.... Maybe that will help you?<BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; John
Stoecker =
[SysOp]&lt;jstoeckerAT@SIGNkwtennPER.IODcom&gt; 2003-07-29 13:28:06 =
&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>
<DIV style=3D"COLOR: #000000"><BR>&gt; I would like to know if it is =

possible<BR>&gt; to set up a DNS record to point to specific ip port.
I =
want to set up an<BR>&gt; internal web app that I can have my users
type =
in a name and go to the web<BR>&gt; server on a specific port. For =
example: type in "Calendar" in the URL and<BR>&gt; have it go to
xxx.xxx.xx=
x.xxx:82. This is on NW6sp3. TIA<BR><BR>No. Really, this is handled by
the =
browser - the browser 'assumes' port 80<BR>if no other port is
mentioned. =
About the best way around this sort of thing<BR>is to have some other
page =
the user goes to that is "normal" do a redirect<BR>to the special port
you =
want to use. Or, if you have a portal/intranet/etc,<BR>simply put a
link =
in with the port number as part of the link.<BR><BR>John<BR><BR>-- =
<BR>--------------------------------------------------<BR>Novell
Product =
Support Forums
SysOp<BR>--------------------------------------------------<=
href=3D"http://mywebpages.comcast.ne=
t/jstoecker/novell/">http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstoecker/novell/</A><BR=

><BR>#include disclaim.h:<BR># My opinions are not necessarily those
of =
Novell <BR># or its employees or even the other forum sysops or
regulars.<B=
R>--------------------------------------------------<BR>posted using =

Xananews 1.15.3.1<BR><BR><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--____WHPEPQYSAQXEHDGESJXG____--

--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____--

> additional information, there are webservers that will "interpret"
the URL
> and you can have one webserver that runs one set of HTML and
> another that runs another, then when a user types in xxx.web1.com
> it will go to the one webserver, and when a user types in
xxx.web2.com
> it will go to the other.... Maybe that will help you?

I think the Apache term for a server like that (when it's on the same
IP address
as another) is a "Virtual Host".  But even with virtual hosts, if the
URL doesn't
specify a port number, the browser defaults to 80, which is the
routine and
customary HTTP port.

AFAIK, as I said earlier, DNS has no provision for specifying a port
number
when doing a domain lookup.  It is strictly a name to IP or vice-versa
lookup.

John

Novell Product Support Forums SysOp
John's Tips & Links Page:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstoecker/novell/

#include disclaim.h:
# My opinions are not necessarily those of Novell
# or its employees or even the other forum sysops or regulars.
posted using Xananews 1.15.3.1

0
John
8/4/2003 7:40:20 PM
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____

right, I just imagine that he is trying to go to a different port
because =
he wants to run multiple web domains on the same server.  "Virtual
hosts" =
seem to be a better option. (since, as you already stated, DNS cannot
hand =
out port numbers).  All the web servers would run on port 80 of the =
server, but depending on the domain name specified in the URL it will
=
determine what webpage to display.

>>> John Stoecker [SysOp]<jstoeckerAT@SIGNkwtennPER.IODcom> 2003-08-04
=
13:40:20 >>>

> additional information, there are webservers that will "interpret"
the =
URL=20
> and you can have one webserver that runs one set of HTML and=20
> another that runs another, then when a user types in xxx.web1.com=20

> it will go to the one webserver, and when a user types in
xxx.web2.com=20=

> it will go to the other.... Maybe that will help you?

I think the Apache term for a server like that (when it's on the same
IP =
address
as another) is a "Virtual Host".  But even with virtual hosts, if the
URL =
doesn't
specify a port number, the browser defaults to 80, which is the
routine =
and=20
customary HTTP port.

AFAIK, as I said earlier, DNS has no provision for specifying a port =

number=20
when doing a domain lookup.  It is strictly a name to IP or vice-versa
=
lookup.

John

--=20
Novell Product Support Forums SysOp
John's Tips & Links Page:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstoecker/novell/

#include disclaim.h:
# My opinions are not necessarily those of Novell=20
# or its employees or even the other forum sysops or regulars.
posted using Xananews 1.15.3.1

--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____

--____WHPEPQYSAQXEHDGESJXG____

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;
charset=3Diso-8859-1"=

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN: 4px 4px 1px; FONT: 10pt Courier New">right, I
just =
imagine that he is trying to go to a different port because he wants
to =
run multiple web domains on the same server.&nbsp; "Virtual hosts"
seem to =
be a better option. (since, as you already stated, DNS cannot hand out
=
port numbers).&nbsp; All the web servers would run on port 80 of the =

server, but depending on the domain name specified in the URL it will
=
determine what webpage to display.<BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; John Stoecker =

[SysOp]&lt;jstoeckerAT@SIGNkwtennPER.IODcom&gt; 2003-08-04 13:40:20 =
&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>
<DIV style=3D"COLOR: #000000"><BR>&gt; additional information, there
are =
webservers that will "interpret" the URL <BR>&gt; and you can have one
=
webserver that runs one set of HTML and <BR>&gt; another that runs =
another, then when a user types in xxx.web1.com <BR>&gt; it will go to
the =
one webserver, and when a user types in xxx.web2.com <BR>&gt; it will
go =
to the other.... Maybe that will help you?<BR><BR>I think the Apache
term =
for a server like that (when it's on the same IP address<BR>as
another) is =
a "Virtual Host".&nbsp; But even with virtual hosts, if the URL
doesn't<BR>=
specify a port number, the browser defaults to 80, which is the
routine =
and <BR>customary HTTP port.<BR><BR><BR>AFAIK, as I said earlier, DNS
has =
no provision for specifying a port number <BR>when doing a domain =
lookup.&nbsp; It is strictly a name to IP or vice-versa
lookup.<BR><BR>John=
<BR><BR>--
<BR>--------------------------------------------------<BR>Novell=
 Product Support Forums
SysOp<BR>------------------------------------------=

regulars.<BR>--------------------------------------------------<BR>posted
=
using Xananews 1.15.3.1<BR><BR><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--____WHPEPQYSAQXEHDGESJXG____--

--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____--

> right, I just imagine that he is trying to go to a different port
because he
> wants to run multiple web domains on the same server.  "Virtual
hosts"
> seem to be a better option. (since, as you already stated, DNS
cannot
> hand out port numbers).  All the web servers would run on port 80 of

> the server, but depending on the domain name specified in the URL it

> will determine what webpage to display.

Right.  However, some stuff that runs under NetWare won't work in
such a scenario (or a least, not without significant editing of config

files) - yeah, it might be "do-able", but there are reasons why it's
not
done that way to begin with (keeping configs and instances of Apache
seperate comes to mind).  And, I'm pretty sure that only one process
can
bind to an IP port (you'd probably know the tech aspects of that
better
than I), which pretty much precludes another NLM besides whoever grabs

port 80 first (Apache or HTTPSTK.NLM) from 'sharing' port 80 between
themselves for handling multiple virtual servers.

John

Novell Product Support Forums SysOp
John's Tips & Links Page:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstoecker/novell/

#include disclaim.h:
# My opinions are not necessarily those of Novell
# or its employees or even the other forum sysops or regulars.
posted using Xananews 1.15.3.1

0
John
8/4/2003 8:31:31 PM
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____

your explanation is dead-on.  But he never said he was running the web
app =
on NetWare, just is there a way that DNS can be used to give a port
number =
:)

"I would like to know if it is possible to set up a DNS record to
point to =
specific ip port. I want to set up an internal web app that I can have
my =
users type in a name and go to the web server on a specific port. For
=
example: type in "Calendar" in the URL and have it go to
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:82=
.. This is on NW6sp3. TIA  Richard G"

It is "do-able" to have the virtual hosts on NetWare, and I probably =

wouldn't want to attempt it either for the same reasons that you
stated =
(especially since it IS true that only one process can be bound to an
IP =
port).  But in the broad hope that his webpage was running in such a
way =
that virtual hosts would work it might be an additional option to
consider =
(short of putting the whole thing on another box--which seemed to be
what =
he was avoiding by trying to create DNS entries that specified the
port).  =
Of course the simplest method you mentioned first (and I probably
should =
have just left it at that), just create a webpage with the URL with
the =
port specified like <a href=3D"http://x.x.x.x:85/index.html">click
here to =
go to the CALENDAR APP</a>

sorry for beating the dead horse.

>>> John Stoecker [SysOp]<jstoeckerAT@SIGNkwtennPER.IODcom> 2003-08-04
=
14:31:31 >>>

> right, I just imagine that he is trying to go to a different port =
because he=20
> wants to run multiple web domains on the same server.  "Virtual =
hosts"=20
> seem to be a better option. (since, as you already stated, DNS
cannot=20
> hand out port numbers).  All the web servers would run on port 80
of=20
> the server, but depending on the domain name specified in the URL
it=20
> will determine what webpage to display.

Right.  However, some stuff that runs under NetWare won't work in=20
such a scenario (or a least, not without significant editing of config

files) - yeah, it might be "do-able", but there are reasons why it's =

not=20
done that way to begin with (keeping configs and instances of
Apache=20
seperate comes to mind).  And, I'm pretty sure that only one process =

can=20
[...]

<DIV>your explanation is dead-on.&nbsp; But he never said he was
running =
the web app on NetWare, just is there a way that DNS can be used to
give a =
port number :)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"I would like to know if it is possible to set up a DNS record to
=
point to specific ip port. I want to set up an internal web app that I
can =
have my users type in a name and go to the web server on a specific
port. =
For example: type in "Calendar" in the URL and have it go to
xxx.xxx.xxx.xx=
x:82. This is on NW6sp3. TIA&nbsp; Richard G"</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It is "do-able" to have the virtual hosts on NetWare, and I
probably =
wouldn't want to attempt it either for the same reasons that you
stated =
(especially since it IS true that only one process can be bound to an
IP =
port).&nbsp; But in the broad hope&nbsp;that his webpage was running
in =
such a way that virtual hosts would work it might be an additional
option =
to consider (short of putting the whole thing on another box--which
seemed =
to be what he was avoiding by trying to create DNS entries that
specified =
the port).&nbsp; Of course the simplest method you mentioned first
(and I =
probably should have just left it at that), just create a webpage with
the =
URL with the port specified like &lt;a
href=3D"http://x.x.x.x:85/index.html=
"&gt;click here to go to the CALENDAR APP&lt;/a&gt;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>sorry for beating the dead horse.<BR><BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; John =
Stoecker [SysOp]&lt;jstoeckerAT@SIGNkwtennPER.IODcom&gt; 2003-08-04 =
14:31:31 &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"COLOR: #000000"><BR>&gt; right, I just imagine that he
is =
trying to go to a different port because he <BR>&gt; wants to run
multiple =
web domains on the same server.&nbsp; "Virtual hosts" <BR>&gt; seem to
be =
a better option. (since, as you already stated, DNS cannot <BR>&gt;
hand =
out port numbers).&nbsp; All the web servers would run on port 80 of =

<BR>&gt; the server, but depending on the domain name specified in the
URL =
it <BR>&gt; will determine what webpage to
display.<BR><BR>Right.&nbsp; =
However, some stuff that runs under NetWare won't work in <BR>such a =

scenario (or a least, not without significant editing of
config<BR>files) =
- yeah, it might be "do-able", but there are reasons why it's not
<BR>done =
that way to begin with (keeping configs and instances of Apache
<BR>seperat=
e comes to mind).&nbsp; And, I'm pretty sure that only one process can
=
<BR>bind to an IP port (you'd probably know the tech aspects of that =

better<BR>than I), which pretty much precludes another NLM besides
whoever =
grabs<BR>port 80 first (Apache or HTTPSTK.NLM) from 'sharing' port 80
=
between<BR>themselves for handling multiple virtual
servers.<BR><BR>John<BR=
><BR>--
<BR>--------------------------------------------------<BR>Novell =
Product Support Forums
SysOp<BR>-------------------------------------------=
-------<BR>John's Tips &amp; Links Page:<BR><A
href=3D"http://mywebpages.co=
mcast.net/jstoecker/novell/">http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstoecker/novell=

/</A><BR><BR>#include disclaim.h:<BR># My opinions are not necessarily
=
those of Novell <BR># or its employees or even the other forum sysops
or =
regulars.<BR>--------------------------------------------------<BR>posted
=
using Xananews 1.15.3.1<BR><BR><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--____WHPEPQYSAQXEHDGESJXG____--

--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____--

> sorry for beating the dead horse.

It's not a dead horse, IMHO - this is a subtle aspect of the
interrelationship between
the way DNS works, and the way running multiple services on a TCP host
works, that
I don't think a lot of people realize.  Since most applications
'default' to a particular
port, putting the 'plain' (no port specifed) DNS name in magically
gets us to the right
place [GRIN] and  (I think, anyway) it's important to help folks
realize exactly where
that magic comes from.... [GRIN]