Adding DNS Server to existing DNS proxy

I currently have DNS proxy running on my BM server.  I have a four-server
environment.  One "production", one "backup production", one BorderManager,
one backup BM that keeps a VPN running even when it is not the BM server.

I would like to add NAMED to at least my production server.

Can I, as I have two DA's running, one each on the production and backup
production servers, run NAMED on both my production and backup production
servers?  I would like to have as many things be automatic when we switch
from the production to the backup server as possible, e.g., I already have
created a DHCP server on my backup server but I only run it on the main
machine.  Switching is merely a matter of loading the NLM on the backup
server when and if we need.

Do I first Create a DNS server(s) in the DNSDHCP mgmt console?

Do I create it under All Zones, RootServerInfo, or elsewhere?

Ah, so many questions ...  :)

Thanks in advance.

-S-

0
Steve
1/23/2007 8:32:08 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Steve Freides" <steve@fridayscomputer.com> wrote:

> Can I, as I have two DA's running, one each on the production and backup
> production servers, run NAMED on both my production and backup production
> servers?

First, there is no relationship between SLP and DNS, so the number of DA's
etc. isn't relevant here.  That said, you can have multiple DNS servers
within the same NDS tree running simultaneoulsy with no problem.  Of those,
one should be Designated Primary for each zone, and the others Passive
Primary.  Then configure your clients to point to both (all?) -- if the
first one in their list fails, they'll timeout and contact the second, etc.

> Do I first Create a DNS server(s) in the DNSDHCP mgmt console?

Yes

> Do I create it under All Zones, RootServerInfo, or elsewhere?

The servers are independent of zone placement, so it doesn't matter what is
hilited when you create them.  After they're created, you will need to add
A, NS and PTR records for them though.  NS records should go under the @ and
A records under the zone they live in.  PTR records will be created when you
create the A records, if the appropriate in-addr.arpa zxone already exists.

--
bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
"Brad Doster" <bd@NSCSysOps.net> wrote in message
> "Steve Freides" <steve@fridayscomputer.com> wrote:
>
>> Can I, as I have two DA's running, one each on the production and backup
>> production servers, run NAMED on both my production and backup production
>> servers?
>>
> First, there is no relationship between SLP and DNS, so the number of DA's
> etc. isn't relevant here.

Understood - just making an example of the kind of duplication of services
I'm after (albeit a bad example).

> That said, you can have multiple DNS servers
> within the same NDS tree running simultaneoulsy with no problem.  Of
> those,
> one should be Designated Primary for each zone, and the others Passive
> Primary.  Then configure your clients to point to both (all?) -- if the
> first one in their list fails, they'll timeout and contact the second,
> etc.

If I create one as Primary and another as Passive Primary, can I later
switch that if, e.g., one server isn't working, without having to recreate
the DNS servers?

>> Do I first Create a DNS server(s) in the DNSDHCP mgmt console?
>>
> Yes
>
>> Do I create it under All Zones, RootServerInfo, or elsewhere?
>>
> The servers are independent of zone placement, so it doesn't matter what
> is
> hilited when you create them.

So far, so good.

> After they're created, you will need to add
> A, NS and PTR records for them though.  NS records should go under the @
> and
> A records under the zone they live in.  PTR records will be created when
> you
> create the A records, if the appropriate in-addr.arpa zxone already
> exists.

This is, at the moment, over my head - I know DNS resolves names but that's
about all I know.  I found the documentation on Novell's site and will read
"Understanding DNS/DHCP Services" to see if I can figure out what to do.
All I really want my Netware DNS server to do is cache entries it retrieves
from the ISP's DNS server or elsewhere "upstream".  This is, for me, an
attempt to take one step forward from our current DNS proxy.

-S-

> --
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Steve
1/25/2007 11:08:44 PM
"Steve Freides" <steve@fridayscomputer.com> wrote:

> Understood - just making an example of the kind of duplication of services
> I'm after (albeit a bad example).

Ah, that makes more sense -- thanks.

> If I create one as Primary and another as Passive Primary, can I later
> switch that if, e.g., one server isn't working, without having to recreate
> the DNS servers?

Yep, you can change things around with just a few mouse clicks and a reload
of NAMED.

> All I really want my Netware DNS server to do is cache entries
> it retrieves from the ISP's DNS server or elsewhere "upstream".  This is,
> for me, an attempt to take one step forward from our current DNS proxy.

If that's the case, then you don't need to create any zones at all.  Just
create the DNS servers, then in each server's Forwarding List, input the
addresses of your ISP's DNS servers.  And I believe that is ALL you should
need to inside the Management Console.  Once done, load NAMED on each server
and off you go.

BTW, I meant to say earlier... this is going to replace your DNS Proxy
running on BM, correct?

--
bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
> "Steve Freides" <steve@fridayscomputer.com> wrote:
>
>> Understood - just making an example of the kind of duplication of
>> services
>> I'm after (albeit a bad example).
>>
> Ah, that makes more sense -- thanks.
>
>> If I create one as Primary and another as Passive Primary, can I
>> later
>> switch that if, e.g., one server isn't working, without having to
>> recreate
>> the DNS servers?
>>
> Yep, you can change things around with just a few mouse clicks and a
> reload
> of NAMED.
>
>> All I really want my Netware DNS server to do is cache entries
>> it retrieves from the ISP's DNS server or elsewhere "upstream".  This
>> is,
>> for me, an attempt to take one step forward from our current DNS
>> proxy.
>>
> If that's the case, then you don't need to create any zones at all.
> Just
> create the DNS servers, then in each server's Forwarding List, input
> the
> addresses of your ISP's DNS servers.  And I believe that is ALL you
> should
> need to inside the Management Console.  Once done, load NAMED on each
> server
> and off you go.

OK, that sounds like a way to go for me.

Question - once the DNS server is up and running, does it build up its
own lookup tables by essentially caching the information it's retrieved,
or does it try to somehow "load" things from the upstream servers on its
own?  When I looked in what I think was the file used by the DNS proxy,
I saw an actual list of URLs and IP addresses that had been requested by
users on our network.

> BTW, I meant to say earlier... this is going to replace your DNS Proxy
> running on BM, correct?

My initial plan was, since these won't run on the BM box, was to have
the DNS servers run along with the DNS proxy on the BM box for a few
days, see if that blows up the universe and, if it doesn't, try pointing
the w/s to the actual DNS server.  It that also works out OK, then is it
right to assume I wouldn't want or need the DNS proxy running on the BM
box?

Thanks very much, and thanks in advance as well.

-S-

> --
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Steve
1/26/2007 9:15:52 PM
"Steve Freides" <steve@fridayscomputer.com> wrote:

> Question - once the DNS server is up and running, does it build up its own
> lookup tables by essentially caching the information it's retrieved, or
> does it try to somehow "load" things from the upstream servers on its own?

No, it just caches what it's been asked to resolve.

> My initial plan was, since these won't run on the BM box, was to have
> the DNS servers run along with the DNS proxy on the BM box for a few
> days, see if that blows up the universe and, if it doesn't, try pointing
> the w/s to the actual DNS server.

Yep, that should be OK.  My concern was that you can't have the DNS proxy
and the DNS server running on the same box as they need to listen on the
same port.

> It that also works out OK, then is it right to assume I wouldn't want or
> need the DNS proxy running on the BM box?

Correct.

> Thanks very much, and thanks in advance as well.

Uh, you're welcome, both now and in advance <g>.

--
bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
"Brad Doster" <bd@NSCSysOps.net> wrote in message
> "Steve Freides" <steve@fridayscomputer.com> wrote:
>
>> Understood - just making an example of the kind of duplication of
>> services
>> I'm after (albeit a bad example).
>>
> Ah, that makes more sense -- thanks.
>
>> If I create one as Primary and another as Passive Primary, can I later
>> switch that if, e.g., one server isn't working, without having to
>> recreate
>> the DNS servers?
>>
> Yep, you can change things around with just a few mouse clicks and a
> reload
> of NAMED.
>
>> All I really want my Netware DNS server to do is cache entries
>> it retrieves from the ISP's DNS server or elsewhere "upstream".  This is,
>> for me, an attempt to take one step forward from our current DNS proxy.
>>
> If that's the case, then you don't need to create any zones at all.  Just
> create the DNS servers, then in each server's Forwarding List, input the
> addresses of your ISP's DNS servers.  And I believe that is ALL you should
> need to inside the Management Console.  Once done, load NAMED on each
> server
> and off you go.

What and where is this Forwarding List, and when you say "each server", are
you refering to each of the items in the little tree under RootServerInfo,
my Netware servers, or something else?  I am clueless, I'm afraid.

The only change I've made so far today is moving my DNS server, which I
created in the mgmt console last week, from being in the Available list to
being in the Authoritative list, and right below that making it Primary.

I don't know what to do next.  Obviously I'll wait to load NAMED, which
we've never run, until I at least think I've got all the steps taken care
of.

TIA.

-S-

0
Steve
2/1/2007 7:46:30 PM
"Steve Freides" <steve@fridayscomputer.com> wrote:

> What and where is this Forwarding List, and when you say "each server",
> are you refering to each of the items in the little tree under
> RootServerInfo, my Netware servers, or something else?  I am clueless, I'm
> afraid.

It's in the properties of the DNS server object.  In the MC, the server
appears at the bottom of the screen, not in the tree on the left.  Click the
DNS server at the bottom of the screen and one of the tabs that appears at
the top is called Forwarding List.  In that tab, enter the IP addresses of
your ISP's DNS servers.

> The only change I've made so far today is moving my DNS server, which I
> created in the mgmt console last week, from being in the Available list to
> being in the Authoritative list, and right below that making it Primary.

For what zone?  If you did this for the RootServerInfo zone, you should
revert to the way it was.  If for some other zone, I thought we concluded
that you didn't need to create any zones?  If that is correct, the only zone
you should have is the RootServerInfo zone, and it should be left as it was
when it was created.

--
bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

> "Steve Freides" <steve@fridayscomputer.com> wrote:
>
>> What and where is this Forwarding List, and when you say "each server",
>> are you refering to each of the items in the little tree under
>> RootServerInfo, my Netware servers, or something else?  I am clueless,
>> I'm
>> afraid.
>>
> It's in the properties of the DNS server object.  In the MC, the server
> appears at the bottom of the screen, not in the tree on the left.  Click
> the
> DNS server at the bottom of the screen and one of the tabs that appears at
> the top is called Forwarding List.  In that tab, enter the IP addresses of
> your ISP's DNS servers.

OK, I did that.

>> The only change I've made so far today is moving my DNS server, which I
>> created in the mgmt console last week, from being in the Available list
>> being in the Authoritative list, and right below that making it Primary.
>>
> For what zone?  If you did this for the RootServerInfo zone, you should
> revert to the way it was.  If for some other zone, I thought we concluded
> that you didn't need to create any zones?  If that is correct, the only
> zone
> you should have is the RootServerInfo zone, and it should be left as it
> was
> when it was created.

OK, I undid what I did there.

For a test - please tell me if this seems like a good test to you, I did the
following to one workstation:

* change dynamic to static IP, using the DHCP-assigned address just to make
my life simpler.
* filled in for DNS the name of my newly-created DNS server.  (Yes, I ran
NAMED.)  That and only that one DNS address in the w/s config.

Then I started testing from this workstation.  Interesting results.  Several
first visits to web sites took longer than usual to resolve but were quick
after that.  (We are browsing through a proxy, and the proxy server is
running DNS proxy also.  I don't know which of the two were actually being
used.)

But when I used my news reader, which contains both
support-forums.novell.com and news.individual.net as servers, it timed out
looking for news.individual.net a few times.  Eventually, it worked, though,
and it appears to be working now.

Any thoughts/suggestions welcomed at this point.  I don't want users to be
getting timeouts but most use the proxy only, so it would be nice to know if
my DNS server is working and working well, and then if it's advisable to
turn off the proxy and point everyone to the new DNS server (which I roll
out through changes in the mgmt console).

How'm I doin'?

TIA.

-S-

> --
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Steve
2/6/2007 9:37:42 PM
"Steve Freides" <steve@fridayscomputer.com> wrote in message
> Grasshopper reporting in, Master.  Details below:
>
> "Brad Doster" <bd@NSCSysOps.net> wrote in message
>> "Steve Freides" <steve@fridayscomputer.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What and where is this Forwarding List, and when you say "each server",
>>> are you refering to each of the items in the little tree under
>>> RootServerInfo, my Netware servers, or something else?  I am clueless,
>>> I'm
>>> afraid.
>>>
>> It's in the properties of the DNS server object.  In the MC, the server
>> appears at the bottom of the screen, not in the tree on the left.  Click
>> the
>> DNS server at the bottom of the screen and one of the tabs that appears
>> at
>> the top is called Forwarding List.  In that tab, enter the IP addresses
>> of
>> your ISP's DNS servers.
>
> OK, I did that.
>
>>> The only change I've made so far today is moving my DNS server, which I
>>> created in the mgmt console last week, from being in the Available list
>>> being in the Authoritative list, and right below that making it Primary.
>>>
>> For what zone?  If you did this for the RootServerInfo zone, you should
>> revert to the way it was.  If for some other zone, I thought we concluded
>> that you didn't need to create any zones?  If that is correct, the only
>> zone
>> you should have is the RootServerInfo zone, and it should be left as it
>> was
>> when it was created.
>
> OK, I undid what I did there.
>
> For a test - please tell me if this seems like a good test to you, I did
> the following to one workstation:
>
> * change dynamic to static IP, using the DHCP-assigned address just to
> make my life simpler.
> * filled in for DNS the name of my newly-created DNS server.  (Yes, I ran
> NAMED.)  That and only that one DNS address in the w/s config.
>
> Then I started testing from this workstation.  Interesting results.
> Several first visits to web sites took longer than usual to resolve but
> were quick after that.  (We are browsing through a proxy, and the proxy
> server is running DNS proxy also.  I don't know which of the two were
> actually being used.)
>
> But when I used my news reader, which contains both
> support-forums.novell.com and news.individual.net as servers, it timed out
> looking for news.individual.net a few times.  Eventually, it worked,
> though, and it appears to be working now.
>
> Any thoughts/suggestions welcomed at this point.  I don't want users to be
> getting timeouts but most use the proxy only, so it would be nice to know
> if my DNS server is working and working well, and then if it's advisable
> to turn off the proxy and point everyone to the new DNS server (which I
> roll out through changes in the mgmt console).
>
> How'm I doin'?
>
> TIA.
>
> -S-

Also same thing just now checking email - timed out first time, tried it
again, worked just fine.

-S-

0
Steve
2/6/2007 9:39:55 PM
In article <Gy6yh.803$QP1.42@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Steve Freides wrote:
> Several
> first visits to web sites took longer than usual to resolve but were quick
> after that.  (We are browsing through a proxy, and the proxy server is
> running DNS proxy also.  I don't know which of the two were actually being
> used.)

If going through your browser, then the proxy the browser is configured for is
used.  When using command line utils like ping and nslookup, your workstation's
DNS settings are used.

> But when I used my news reader, which contains both
> support-forums.novell.com and news.individual.net as servers, it timed out
> looking for news.individual.net a few times.  Eventually, it worked, though,
> and it appears to be working now.

Sounds like the DNS server's forwarding is not working properly, or the servers
being forwarded to are really slow -- definitely double-check the address(es)
you entered for this.  Unfortunately NAMED will not tell you the address it
forwards requests to -- to see that you need to look at packet traces -- you
can use PKTSCAN.NLM for this if you need/want to verify that info.

Oh, and check the default gateway setting on the server.

> and then if it's advisable to
> turn off the proxy and point everyone to the new DNS server (which I roll
> out through changes in the mgmt console).

Just to confirm, you mean the DNS proxy, not the http proxy, right?  If so,
then all you need to do is change the proxy server's DNS setup
(sys:etc\resolv.cfg or use INETCFG.NLM) to use the DNS server instead of its
own address, then all http proxy users will be using your new server regardless
of their workstation DNS settings.

> How'm I doin'?

Not ready to roll yet (figuring out the forwarding issue would be a good
thing), but getting there.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad
2/7/2007 4:10:26 AM
In article <LA6yh.807$QP1.579@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Steve Freides
wrote:
> Also same thing just now checking email - timed out first time, tried it
> again, worked just fine.

Yeah, the forwarding again, is taking too long, but once resolved, the data
is cached so it's much quicker after that.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad
2/7/2007 4:10:26 AM
> In article <Gy6yh.803$QP1.42@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Steve
> Freides wrote:
>> Several
>> first visits to web sites took longer than usual to resolve but were
>> quick
>> after that.  (We are browsing through a proxy, and the proxy server
>> is
>> running DNS proxy also.  I don't know which of the two were actually
>> being
>> used.)
>>
> If going through your browser, then the proxy the browser is
> configured for is
> used.  When using command line utils like ping and nslookup, your
> workstation's
> DNS settings are used.

The browser is configured to a proxy at x.x.x.1, a secondary IP on our
BM server.  Since we have the DNS proxy loaded on that server, are you
saying a browser request will use that DNS proxy, even if it is
configured to use a different address for DNS as seen by, e.g., IPCONFIG
/ALL?   Just want to make sure I understand that correctly.  And does
this mean that if I want my users to use the internal DNS server I've
just created, I should turn off the DNS proxy in nwadmn?

>> But when I used my news reader, which contains both
>> support-forums.novell.com and news.individual.net as servers, it
>> timed out
>> looking for news.individual.net a few times.  Eventually, it worked,
>> though,
>> and it appears to be working now.
>>
> Sounds like the DNS server's forwarding is not working properly, or
> the servers
> being forwarded to are really slow -- definitely double-check the
> address(es)
> you entered for this.  Unfortunately NAMED will not tell you the
> address it
> forwards requests to -- to see that you need to look at packet
> traces -- you
> can use PKTSCAN.NLM for this if you need/want to verify that info.
>
> Oh, and check the default gateway setting on the server.
>
>> and then if it's advisable to
>> turn off the proxy and point everyone to the new DNS server (which I
>> roll
>> out through changes in the mgmt console).
>>
> Just to confirm, you mean the DNS proxy, not the http proxy, right?

Yes.

> If so,
> then all you need to do is change the proxy server's DNS setup
> (sys:etc\resolv.cfg or use INETCFG.NLM) to use the DNS server instead
> of its
> own address, then all http proxy users will be using your new server
> regardless
> of their workstation DNS settings.

I'm thinking about that one ...

>> How'm I doin'?
>>
> Not ready to roll yet (figuring out the forwarding issue would be a
> good
> thing), but getting there.
>
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Steve
2/7/2007 2:55:36 PM
> [...]
>>
>> Oh, and check the default gateway setting on the server.
>>
>>> and then if it's advisable to
>>> turn off the proxy and point everyone to the new DNS server (which I
>>> roll
>>> out through changes in the mgmt console).
>>>
>> Just to confirm, you mean the DNS proxy, not the http proxy, right?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If so,
>> then all you need to do is change the proxy server's DNS setup
>> (sys:etc\resolv.cfg or use INETCFG.NLM) to use the DNS server instead
>> of its
>> own address, then all http proxy users will be using your new server
>> regardless
>> of their workstation DNS settings.
>
> I'm thinking about that one ...
>
>>> How'm I doin'?
>>>
>> Not ready to roll yet (figuring out the forwarding issue would be a

One more thing - can I make manual entries into my DNS server to, e.g.,
speed up the login process by resolving Netware server names to IP
addresses?  Is this even necessary or might it help things?

TIA.

-S-

0
Steve
2/7/2007 4:56:48 PM
In article <ILlyh.1166$QP1.3@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Steve Freides
wrote:
> Since we have the DNS proxy loaded on that server, are you
> saying a browser request will use that DNS proxy, even if it is
> configured to use a different address for DNS as seen by, e.g., IPCONFIG
> /ALL?

Close... the browser will not resolve names at all, but will let the http
proxy do it.  So the resolution is done using whatever the proxy server is
configured to use.  And yes, this completely bypasses the settings shown in
IPCONFIG /ALL -- the DNS settings there will be used for all DNS resolution
except browser requests.

> And does
> this mean that if I want my users to use the internal DNS server I've
> just created, I should turn off the DNS proxy in nwadmn?

For the user to use the new DNS server for browsing, you need to configure
the server running http proxy to use it.  Then you can shut down the DNS
proxy or not, and it shouldn't matter (although shutting it down may
eliminate potential confusion when "mind tracing" the sequence of events).

> > If so,
> > then all you need to do is change the proxy server's DNS setup
> > (sys:etc\resolv.cfg or use INETCFG.NLM) to use the DNS server instead
> > of its
> > own address, then all http proxy users will be using your new server
> > regardless
> > of their workstation DNS settings.
>
> I'm thinking about that one ...

See above.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad
2/7/2007 7:28:54 PM
In article <kxnyh.1301$QP1.204@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Steve Freides
wrote:
> One more thing - can I make manual entries into my DNS server to, e.g.,
> speed up the login process by resolving Netware server names to IP
> addresses?

You would need a zone to put them in.

> Is this even necessary or might it help things?

No it's not necessary as SLP is typically used by Novell Client machines
to locate NetWare servers.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad

DNS UP
Hi We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been operating reasonably well. Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet) We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The internal DNS also seems fime. We have not made any changes to th...

DNS? What DNS?
This has never happened before and in light light of this morning's news about the DDOS I was wondering if it is just my machine or if something else is going on. Background: A firewall on one of my machines blocked IE from getting to the net. I wanted to trace where it was planning to go to (207.188.24.150)to figure out if this was just XP again or something else. I tried Neo Trace and PC Helps "Net Tracer" but neither can track it. All I get is "undetermined" or "timed out" Robin In article <3DB714A2.7050902@twcny.rr.com>, omeru...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

Netware DNS compatibility with other secondary DNS servers
I have a problem where the primary DNS information for a domain is on a Netware 6 server. The secondary is hosted by an ISP. When I look at the SOA information on the ISP, the serial number is always 0, the refresh is always the number that the matches the serial, the retry is the refresh number and so forth. Has anybody seen this? I've done this type of thing a couple times in the past and have searched here and other places and can't seem to find that anybody else has seen this....anybody have any ideas? Just wondering, why is an ISP hosting your secon...

GlobalNames DNS zone and NetWare DNS servers
We have a mix of NetWare 6.5 and Windows Server 2008 DNS servers. There is a forwarding zone in Novell that points to the Windows DNS servers for the DNS zone abc.xyz.local. Most workstations are configured for the DNS zone named xyz, so when they attempt to resolve a host name, they append xyz (i.e. webserver.xyz). Novell is primary for the xyz zone, and the workstations point to Novell, so it resolves properly. A few workstations are domain-joined, so they append abc.xyz.local (the AD domain name), turning webserver into webserver.abc.xyz.local. They also point to NetWare DNS, wh...

DNS not forwarding to other dns servers
We had a problem the other day when we lost power on our external DNS server. Users out on the internet were not able to hit our website and do any resolutions to our Secure VPN gateway. When we used the URL address for the website it would not resolve. When we used the VPN Client it would not resolve the name to an address to access the VPN. If we used the IP address it would work. I was under the impression if my dns server went down anyone trying to resolve address to my domain would get the resolution from their DNS server since this information was cached in their DNS Server....

DNS Server Red X in DNS/DHCP Management Console
When I startup named.nlm, I get this: Starting eDirectory integrated Novell DNS Server... error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 1 failed; interface ignored error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 2 failed; interface ignored Loading the configuration and zone data completed. DNS Server running I can't seem to find any info on any of those errors. Also, in the DNS/DHCP Management Console it shows up as a red X. Other than that, it seems t...

Netware DNS server won't zone transfer to Windows DNS
I am currently looking to setup DNS servers to serve 70 domains and am using a netware server as the primary DNS. I have configured a Windows 2003 server to hold the secondary dns zones but cannot get the windows server to load the zone. It states the Transfer of data from the zone master failed. If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated. Graeme Versions please... NetWare? Service Pack? NAMED.NLM? bd NSC Volunteer SysOp gmurphy@three.com.au wrote: > I am currently looking to setup DNS servers to serve 70 domains and am > using a netware server as ...

0.0.0.0 for DNS server IP address in DNS/DHCP console
In DNS/DHCP management console I have a red X accross the DNS server object which doesn't go away and it shows 0.0.0.0 in the DNS Server IP Address field instead of actuall DNS server IP address. How can I edit it and change it to the correct server IP address? Any help would be appreciated -- nsafa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nsafa, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not...

NW65 DNS as public DNS Server?
We have 2 NW6 servers that provide DNS for our ISP that host web, email and several other services. The servers perform well in our enviroment. I want to upgrade the servers to NW65 but I wanted some input first before we made the change. 1. Is anyone using NW65 DNS for public DNS in a fairly heavily loaded enviroment? 2. If so, how is the reliability and performance? 3. Any significant changes I should know about? When we first installed the NW6 DNS Servers we had a not of problems that took a great deal of time and effort to get resolved due to a bad ver of named...

DNS Configuration for External DNS Servers
Could someone please clarify something in the documentation for HMC v3.0 for me please? Create the DNS Zone for the consolidatedmessenger Reseller DW.128 DW.129 Configure Zone Transfers In this section it describes the process for configuring the External DNS servers and creating the Reseller "consolidatedmessenger.com". Q: Is this actually meant to be implemented per the reference architecture? How would I then access this Reseller and configure all of the other items which are associated with it? Q: Or should I simply follow the steps while replaci...

dns failover to secondary dns server
--____GWHFDEEECZAAULLYWYMO____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Thu, 26 Aug 2009 16:19:44 +0200" Hi, Running 2 x Netware 6.5sp8 servers with DNS/DHCP. When the primary DNS = server goes down all Windows XP workstations fail-over to the secondary = DNS server and everything works perfectly. The Windows 2003 servers do = not fail-over to the secondary DNS server. The "ipconfig /all" shows the = 2 dns servers IP addresses. Both the workstations and ser...

DNS statistics show DNS servers are down
Using BM3.6 on Netware 4.11. All patches current, SP9 for NW, BM36SP2A and C02 update. Have 3 DNS server IP addresses in my resolv.cfg, 2 from SBC and 1 from Cogent Co. 2nd (SBC) is in up state and 1st (SBC) and 3rd (Cognt CO) show down. Yet a ping to each of the 3 addresses is successful 100 percent of the time. Was wondering what might be causing this and how to fix it. Thanks in advance for any help. JIm Boettger Hi Jim, Have you checked if DNS (NAMED) is actually running on the "down" servers. PING will see if the server is running, but won...

Web resources about - Adding DNS Server to existing DNS proxy - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Pre-existing condition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
J. James Rohack, president of the American Medical Association , has stated on a Fox News Sunday interview that exclusions, based upon these ...

STUDY: Facebook More Effective In Driving Viewers To New Shows Than Existing Ones
... television and Facebook and other social networks, finding that social media are more effective at driving viewership of new shows than existing ...

A New Way To Re-Engage Your Existing Mobile App Users
Today we are introducing a new way to re-engage your mobile app users with Facebook ads. You can now advertise to people who have taken specific ...

Facebook expands IPO with additional 83.8M shares from existing stockholders
... according to an eighth amendment to its S-1 filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Most of these shares are being sold by existing ...

How do you grow your brand through existing clients?
Anna Farmery and I are doing a podcast this week on how to leverage happy clients to grow your brand. We&#39;d love to include your advice in ...

Video Zoom - Apply Zoom To Existing Videos, Crop on the App Store on iTunes
Get Video Zoom - Apply Zoom To Existing Videos, Crop on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.” Albert Einstein ...
Pretty dreary here today, but this stop sign caught my attention. Bright, vivid colors can draw attention and add "pop" to a photo. Make a photo ...

SIMple plan: More consumers taking existing mobile phones to new plans to 'enjoy freedom'
More Australians are holding on to their existing mobile phones when signing up to post-paid plans, saying they enjoy the &quot;freedom and flexibility&quot; ...

US existing home sales fall in August
... as investors retreated from real estate and first-time buyers remained scarce. The National Association of Realtors says sales of existing ...

Costco's Australian expansion hits existing stores
Costco Wholesale is pressing ahead with its Australian expansion plans even though new stores are starting to cannibalise its existing ones. ...