Netware File/Application Access

I have a strange problem and the details are as follows.

The user has the appropiate right to a location on a files server and
when they browse to the location and try to run an application they get
access denied however if i create a Zen Published application to the
same EXE and assign that application to the user they are able to run
the application fine from that.

--
stevehxuk

stevehxuk
1/26/2009 11:26:02 AM
novell.netware.6x.storage 4914 articles. 1 followers. Follow

What are that user's exact effective rights to that folder? Can an admin
user successfully run apps from it?

--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=358040

0
ataubman
1/26/2009 11:06:02 PM
ataubman;1722899 Wrote:
> What are that user's exact effective rights to that folder? Can an admin
> user successfully run apps from it?

The users effective rights are RWCEMF and thy can perform every
function apart from running a program of the netware drive.

As i say if i create a zen works published icon to the application in
question they are then able to run it vis the novell application
launcher.

--
stevehxuk
stevehxuk's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=14335
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=358040

0
stevehxuk
1/30/2009 3:56:03 PM
Can the tree admin user manually run apps from that directory?

--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
http://forums.novell.com/

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=358040

0
ataubman
2/1/2009 9:56:02 PM
ataubman;1726724 Wrote:
> Can the tree admin user manually run apps from that directory?

Yes the tree admin can run the application fine

--
stevehxuk
stevehxuk's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=14335
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=358040

0
stevehxuk
2/6/2009 1:26:02 PM
So it's definitely a rights or licensing issue. What exact NW and SP
versions? Has this problem always been there, or only since what change
or update?

Do VERSION on the console, what does it say about licensing?

Load dsrepair and run a Report Sync Status and a Timesync Check  from
the first menu, and post just that portion from dsrepair.log here
please.

--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
http://forums.novell.com/

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=358040

0
ataubman
2/8/2009 10:56:02 PM
ataubman;1731355 Wrote:
> So it's definitely a rights or licensing issue. What exact NW and SP
> versions? Has this problem always been there, or only since what change
> or update?
>
> Do VERSION on the console, what does it say about licensing?
>
> Load dsrepair and run a Report Sync Status and a Timesync Check  from
> the first menu, and post just that portion from dsrepair.log here
> please.

This problem has only arisen of late and there has been no changes to
the server in about a year i would say.

Novell Open Enterprise Server , Netware 6.5
Support Pack Version 06
Server License : Novell Netware 6 Server 650
User Licenses : Audited

NetWare 1602.00 Directory Services Repair 10551.26, DS 10553.73
Log file for server ".CFSNTHNL.NRL" in tree "NORTHERN_REGISTRARS"
Start:  Monday,  9 February 2009   4:39:09 pm Local Time
Retrieve replica status

Partition: .[Root].
Replica: .CFSNTHNB.NRL                    9-02-2009 16:32:17
Replica: .CFSBECKNWL.CAPITA               9-02-2009 16:32:15
Replica: .CFSBECKNDR.CAPITA               9-02-2009 16:32:15
Replica: .CFSNTHND.NRL                    9-02-2009 16:32:15
Replica: .CFSNTHNL.NRL                    9-02-2009 16:32:15
All servers synchronized up to time:          9-02-2009 16:32:15

Partition: .CAPITA
Replica: .CFSNTHNB.NRL                    9-02-2009 16:37:49
Replica: .CFSBECKNWL.CAPITA               9-02-2009 16:37:50
Replica: .CFSBECKNDR.CAPITA               9-02-2009 16:37:49
Replica: .CFSNTHND.NRL                    9-02-2009 16:37:49
Replica: .CFSNTHNL.NRL                    9-02-2009 16:37:48
All servers synchronized up to time:          9-02-2009 16:37:48

Finish:  Monday,  9 February 2009   4:39:10 pm Local Time

*** END ***

/****************************************************************************/
NetWare 1602.00 Directory Services Repair 10551.26, DS 10553.73
Log file for server ".CFSNTHNL.NRL" in tree "NORTHERN_REGISTRARS"
Time synchronization and server status information
Start:  Monday,  9 February 2009   4:39:45 pm Local Time

---------------------------+---------+---------+-----------+--------+-------
DS.NLM    Replica   Time        Time is
Time
Server name                 Version   Depth     Source      in sync
+/-
---------------------------+---------+---------+-----------+--------+-------
.CFSNTHNB.NRL               10553.73    0       Secondary   Yes
0
.CFSBECKNWL.CAPITA          10553.73    0       Secondary   Yes
0
.CFSBECKNDR.CAPITA          10553.73    0       Secondary   Yes
0
.CFSNTHND.NRL               10553.73    0       Single      Yes
0
.CFSNTHNL.NRL               10553.73    0       Secondary   Yes
0
---------------------------+---------+---------+-----------+--------+-------

*** END ***

--
stevehxuk
stevehxuk's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=14335
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=358040

0
stevehxuk
2/9/2009 4:46:02 PM
So that looks OK. Temporarily assign a problem user S file system rights
to that directory, can they then execute applications from it?

--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
http://forums.novell.com/

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=358040

0
ataubman

NetWare to NetWare file copy problem
Hello All, We are trying to copy files from a Netware 6.5 server (SP6) to a newer NetWare 6.5 (SP7) server. We are copying an entire volume, VOL1. The source server has a 33GB volume with about 4GB of free space. When we start the copy the disk space on the source server drops and eventually the copy stops when space on the source server runs out. The destination servers volume is 200GB, so I have no idea why the source server is running out of space. We are doing the copy from a Windows XP PC, and to me it looks like the Netware server is doing some type of caching but not ...

Accessing Files from Netware Box without Edirectory Access?
Is there a way to get access to files on a Netware 6.5 box that has been removed from the tree? We had a user who was using the old server to store files and not the new one up until we removed it from the tree and shut it down. Now I have to get back in to the server and get her files. Is there a local admin login or something that I can use to get in to the server now that it doesn't see Edirectory? -- seth_turner_04 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ From the console, yes, but not from a workstation. If there's a floppy d...

ASE (Netware) to ASA (Netware) Sharing files
Hi, I hope someone can help me with this. 1. How do you share files between Netware machines? 2. Is there something like ssremote.nlm? Description: We have a customer that wants to Replicate using SQL Remote between ASE on Netware and ASA on Netware. They want to use a file link for this. When you install SQL Remote for Adaptive Server Enterprise (from the SQL Anywhere Studio 6.02 CD) it does not ask you for the target platform. The message agent (ssremote) is installed as an exe. Does this mean that the message agent must run on a win32 machine? We have a customer ru...

Netware Server A access to Netware servers B volumes
Hello, it's possible to access from server A console to servers B volumes and files. I 'need this for a canon nlm program that stores printfiles only on Printserver but we need this files on server B. For example: Its possible to edit on servers A console edit serverB/sys:system/canon.txt I know this windows like, but we need this. Any idea ??? You can see files on another server with ConsoleOne by navigating to its volume objects, but I'm not aware of way of editing them. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp http://suppo...

Access Netware files from IIS
We have an Intranet site that allows users to query Access databases. It had been working for several years. Recently it has stopped working. IIS 6.0 in Windows 2003 SP1 ASP.NET 2.0 Novell Client 4.91 SP3 Files are on a Novell 6.5 server I had been using impersonation in ASP.NET to impersonate an Novell account. That doesn't seem to be working at all anymore. I've read through numerous MS articles on this and still can't resolve it. From my workstation I can run the Intranet inside of Visual Web Developer (has its own web server; sort of a mini IIS) and it w...

To Reinstall Netware 6 BM to Netware File Server NDS
Our Netware 6 File Server crashed and was reinstalled and data restored. However, all new users created post Server reinstallation do not replicate to BM NDS, hence do not authenticate to the BM for Internet access. Please, I am stranded here...any help from colleagues. This is a SOS. I have tried synchronization from DSrepair, unattanded DSrepair, but got an error code: -634 (could not find net address). Do I need to reinstall the BM on the Server NDS and if yes, how do I go about it? Please address the issue of licence if it is reinstalled, what objects would be removed from th...

NetWare 4.11, NetWare for SAA, NetWare 6.5
Hi, we have 5 netware 4.11 servers. 2 are in the main office and 3 are in external offices, connected via vpn (DSL). The 2 servers in the main office are in tree1, the other 3 servers have there own 3 trees. One of the servers in the main office runs nw4saa and hostprint and we have to keep this running approx. 8-10 months. But we want to install 5 new netware 6.5 servers (2 in the main office and 3 in the 3 external offices). My plan is to install 1 server in the main office with ip and ipx installed (no scmd) to keep contact with the nw4saa server. The second ser...

Access Netware files from IIS 6
I have been looking for a solution to this problem for months, and havent found a solution that applies to Windows 2003 / IIS 6 yet. My setup is as follows: IIS 6.0 in Windows 2003 SP1 ASP.NET 2.0 Novell Client 4.91 SP3 Files are on a Novell 6.5 server I have tried everyway I can possibly think of to be able to access Netware files (on a mapped share) from ASP.NET, but nothing works. I have tried changing Client versions (back to 4.83), impersonating Novell users, and creating the IUSR_Machine Name Novell account, and a number of other things. I am completely frustrated and...

NetStorage on Netware 6.5 only salavage netware 6.5 files
Hello, Am I correct in understanding that NetStorage on Netware 6.5 Sp3 (oes) will only let you recover deleted files on Netware 6.5 servers? When I go to a Netware 6.0 server (I have 5 at sp4, and one at sp5), I am unable to get properties of a folder, outside of a little bit on file size. But, when I go to a netware 6.5 server (1 currently) I can get the tabs and everythign related to std file system info. Is the correct behaviour? I hope not, this is a nice tool, and would like to use it in place of local rights to admin data (helpdesk of 6) to use it. Thank You, Ca...

NNLS Netstorage access to NetWare file system...
Hi Does NNLS Netstorage REALLY provide access to a NetWare based file system... i.e. if we run NNLS netstorage on a SLES8 server and want to access drives that are held on NW65 cluster resource volumes will it actually work? If so, how? Does the NNLS components have an NCP client, or do we need to enable CIFS access on the NetWare nodes? Basically we want to avoid running apache/tomcat, xtier, etc. on our cluster nodes... Many thanks David Brightman, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and h...

iFolder version to access files on a NetWare server
Hello Could someone tell me with which iFolder version I am able to sync a folder on my NetWare server? Thank's Sebastian Sebastian Eichinger, > Could someone tell me with which iFolder version I am able to sync a folder on my > NetWare server? > Can you elaborate? To have the ifolder store on NW you need 2.x - Anders Gustafsson (Sysop) The Aaland Islands (N60 E20) Novell has a new enhancement request system, or what is now known as the requirement portal. If customers would like to give input in the upcoming releases of Novell products then they s...

Netware 6 upgrade
I just upgraded to Netware 6 from 5.0 and now I cannot get access to the files on my file server. I is saying all the files on the server are read only. Any suggestions? Did you install the user licenses in NetWare6 ? -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) > > Did you install the user licenses in NetWare6 ? > > -- > Edison Ortiz > Novell Product Support Forum SysOp > (No Email Support, Thanks !) No. I only installed the server upgrade and it did not prompt me for that information. ...

File last access attribute on netware volume
Hi All, Does anyone have experienced where when you view the files properties and they all have the same access date and time on windows xp or windows 2000? Thanks, Steve Steve, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support tools and options available at http...

Cannot log in to OES Netware with Native File Access
I have seen that OES NetWare will not accept Windows workstations to log in without the NetWare Client. I have attempted a number of builds but have not gotten NFA to work on any. There must be a TID on this because this is a major issue. I'm able to connect to a Netware 6.5(SP3) server from the same Windows workstation with no Netware client but not the OES Netware server. Thanks Enable NMAS logging, do a failed login attempt, and post the log file in the native-file-access forum pls. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp http://s...

Web resources about - Netware File/Application Access - novell.netware.6x.storage

ACT development application volume falls between 2015 and 2014
Development applications dropped in the ACT in 2015 compared with 2014, year-end government figures show.

Patent application shows Apple Watch band that transforms into a case, stand and Mac accessory
An Apple patent application published today reveals an idea for an interesting variation on the magnetically-closed Milanese Loop band that allows ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 19% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 21.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications sink after rush