how to know the directory size with netware tools?

hi,

under one directory, there are many sub-directories, i wonder how much
size on the disk every sub-directories have used. no third-party tools is
allowed in my network environment. so which netware tool can fufill this
function?

Thanks.

Jacky
0
wangjianjin
4/27/2006 11:39:15 AM
novell.netware.6x.storage 4914 articles. 1 followers. Follow

"DIR /AD /S"
"Properties of the Root Folder via Windows Explorer"

NDIR is a NetWare specific version of DIR with more options you could
use to tweak your searches if you want to get fancy.

--
Craig Wilson
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

> "DIR /AD /S"
> "Properties of the Root Folder via Windows Explorer"
>
> NDIR is a NetWare specific version of DIR with more options you could
> use to tweak your searches if you want to get fancy.

"ndir /spa" will give the size of the current directory and sub dirs.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0
Hamish
4/27/2006 1:06:18 PM
thanks a lot

I donot want to use 'DIR /S"
or  "Properties of the Root Folder via Windows Explorer", because i have
600 directories to do. so it is horrible. i have known those methods

i think Ndir /spa may be better, but, unfortunately, it gives the wrong
result not same as the result of 'DIR /S"
or  "Properties of the Root Folder via Windows Explorer". it is not 'size
on disk' too.

maybe for 600 directories, the third party tools would be the last choice.

 Craig,

> > "DIR /AD /S"
> > "Properties of the Root Folder via Windows Explorer"
> >
> > NDIR is a NetWare specific version of DIR with more options you could
> > use to tweak your searches if you want to get fancy.
>
> "ndir /spa" will give the size of the current directory and sub dirs.
>

> --
> Hamish Speirs
> Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.
>
> http://haitch.net
>
> (Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
> probably be ignored)

0
wangjianjin
4/27/2006 2:11:10 PM
Ndir * /s /c isn't too bad as it only checks the directory tables, not the
files themselves.

Ndir /spa works at the volume level, not the directory level, I think
Hamish needs to go for a lie down :-)

Cheers Dave

--

Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/

I tried that early and only saw Volume info.
I was not sure if it was a Traditional vs NSS issue.
Glad to know its as designed.

--
Craig Wilson
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
Master CNE, MCSE 2003, CCN
0
craig
4/27/2006 6:39:58 PM
Craig,

> I think Hamish read the built-in help....says "View Directory Space
> Information"

Nope - memories of using it before- on home drives. It works great if
the directory you're looking at has a space restriction on it...

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0
Hamish
4/27/2006 6:49:25 PM
Hamish Speirs wrote:
> Craig,
>
>> I think Hamish read the built-in help....says "View Directory Space
>> Information"
>
> Nope - memories of using it before- on home drives. It works great if
> the directory you're looking at has a space restriction on it...

OK.  See that now on a few restricted folders I checked.

--
Craig Wilson
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
Master CNE, MCSE 2003, CCN
0
craig
4/27/2006 7:18:14 PM
<g>, with no directory restrictions, the directory side doesn't do a lot,
whereas the volume stats always work

Cheers Dave

--

Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
0
Dave
4/27/2006 7:22:26 PM
> under one directory, there are many sub-directories, i wonder how much
> size on the disk every sub-directories have used. no third-party tools is
> allowed in my network environment. so which netware tool can fufill this
> function?

Is the NRM inventory link (from the Volumes page) of any use?

/dps

Dave