File Last Access time updated to midnight

Can someone tell me if there is something running in the background on
Netware(possibly compression algorithm?), that would update the "last
access time" of all files for a particular volume?  I am pretty sure it is
not backup software or virus scan software.  I have observed this on both
Netware 6 and Netware 6.5 servers.  These are NOT clustered volumes.  I
have noticed that if I perform a search, using Microsoft Explorer, for
files that have not been accessed in several months, it comes up with a
listing of files.  If I right-click on one of the files in the list, and
select the properties option, it reports that the last access time for the
file is midnight of the current day.

If I get the access time of one of the files(without using Microsoft
Explorer), i.e. using an NLM, it will report midnight of some day several
months in the past.  However, I do notice that most if not all files have
access times that are 30 days or less, and all report midnight.

Thanks,
NND
0
nnd
12/10/2004 4:02:39 AM
novell.netware.6x.storage 4914 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Netware only stores access date not time, and Explorer will access the
file to check for any embedded icons

Cheers Dave

--

Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/

Dave Parkes wrote:

> Netware only stores access date not time, and Explorer will access the
> file to check for any embedded icons

Dave

The last access time is now stored, I recall that began around NW 5.0.
However, apps displaying the last access date need updating to get the
access time, and many will not have been - this enhancement received no
publicity and I found out about it by accident when searching one of the
SDK's .h files for something else. Novell did a half baked job here as
they did not provide a means of retaining the last access time when
copying a file i.e. it can be read but not set.

John

0
John
12/13/2004 8:33:42 PM
Thanks for the info, didn't know that. Mind you if you can't reset it,
it's all a bit academic really :-)

Cheers Dave