Upgrading from Netware 5.1 to netware 6.5

Hi,

I plan to migrate my 4 Netware 5.1 servers to netware 6.5.
What action do I have to do first?Upgrade DS version, latest patchs...

My configuration is :

- Netware 5.1 SP5
- DHCP is running
- NDPS Broker, Manager
- DS version 10330.03
- ZfD 3.2
- DirXml 1.1 + passwordSync

I also plan to migrate to NIM 2.0 (or IDM, I don't know how to call that!)
and ZEN 4

What is the best method?Any feedback experience on projects like this
would really be appreciate!
Email is also acceptable!

Regards,
Maurice TADANG
0
mtadang

I would apply the sp7 patch to the 5.1 servers, then upgrade to eDir
8.7.3.2 (one less thing to upgrade during the migration.

Don't forget to do a NDS health check TID 10060600

Are you looking to do in place or across the wire?

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant

It's kind of being more difficult than what I previously said. Let me
explain :

- I have two netware 5.1 server on one site that I want to upgrade to a
two node cluster Netware 6.x, and connect it to a SAN (HP MSA1000)
What would be the best way? Migrate each node to netware 6.x first?Then
install NCS?
Install the latest edirectory patch for Netware 5.1, then upgrade?
The hardware will remain the same.

Maurice
> I would apply the sp7 patch to the 5.1 servers, then upgrade to eDir
> 8.7.3.2 (one less thing to upgrade during the migration.
>
> Don't forget to do a NDS health check TID 10060600
>
> Are you looking to do in place or across the wire?
>
> --
> Timothy Leerhoff
> Principal Consultant
> Independant Experts
> Novell Support Forums Volenteer Sysop

0
mtadang
8/17/2004 3:26:33 PM
OK, inplace it is.

Here is how I would attack this:

Apply SP7 to the 5.1 servers
install eDir 8.7.3.2 on teh 5.1 servers
add the HBAs to teh servers and configure the driver
connect them to the MSA1000
run the MSA configuration CD from one server (boot to it)
setup the partitions as needed (I normally have 2-18G drives that I
install for the SBD partition).
In NetWare set the partitions as shareable
Run the NWDepliy.exe from a PC (bottom of the list is install
clustering)
run the cluster install.
once clustering is up and running you can use the server consolidation
utility to move the user data etc into the cluster.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask any questions you have.  I don't charge much  :-))

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant
Independant Experts
Novell Support Forums Volenteer Sysop
0
Timothy
8/17/2004 4:14:20 PM
Hi Timothy,

Maybe I have miss something :
You would connect the servers to the MSA1000 and install NCS before
migrating to netware 6.x?

My thought was to migrate the NW 5.1 servers to Netware 6.x first. Then
connect them to the SAN, and finally install NCS.

What do you think?

> OK, inplace it is.
>
> Here is how I would attack this:
>
> Apply SP7 to the 5.1 servers
> install eDir 8.7.3.2 on teh 5.1 servers
> add the HBAs to teh servers and configure the driver
> connect them to the MSA1000
> run the MSA configuration CD from one server (boot to it)
> setup the partitions as needed (I normally have 2-18G drives that I
> install for the SBD partition).
> In NetWare set the partitions as shareable
> Run the NWDepliy.exe from a PC (bottom of the list is install
> clustering)
> run the cluster install.
> once clustering is up and running you can use the server consolidation
> utility to move the user data etc into the cluster.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Feel free to ask any questions you have.  I don't charge much  :-))
>
> --
> Timothy Leerhoff
> Principal Consultant
> Independant Experts
> Novell Support Forums Volenteer Sysop

0
mtadang
8/18/2004 8:02:51 AM
> Maybe I have miss something :
> You would connect the servers to the MSA1000 and install NCS before
> migrating to netware 6.x?
>
> My thought was to migrate the NW 5.1 servers to Netware 6.x first.
> Then connect them to the SAN, and finally install NCS.
>
> What do you think?

I kind of left that step out.....doh.

Yes install the sp, and edir, then go to NW6.5 prior to adding the HBAs
to the servers.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant
Independant Experts
Novell Support Forums Volenteer Sysop
0
Timothy
8/18/2004 3:58:34 PM
=)
Thanks for your help Timothy!

I did not read Course 3018 (upgrading to Netware 6.5) yet, but i'll do
soon.

For the moment, my Sys: volume is in traditional FS and is compressed.
When upgrading to Netware 6.x, what will happen?Can the file system change
from traditional to NSS?
Or do I have to migrate the FS after upgrading to Netware 6.x?

Any bad experiences with migrating on the same machine?

Regards,
Maurice TADANG
> > Maybe I have miss something :
> > You would connect the servers to the MSA1000 and install NCS before
> > migrating to netware 6.x?
> >
> > My thought was to migrate the NW 5.1 servers to Netware 6.x first.
> > Then connect them to the SAN, and finally install NCS.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I kind of left that step out.....doh.
>
> Yes install the sp, and edir, then go to NW6.5 prior to adding the HBAs
> to the servers.
>
> --
> Timothy Leerhoff
> Principal Consultant
> Independant Experts
> Novell Support Forums Volenteer Sysop

0
mtadang
8/18/2004 9:44:22 PM
The inplace always has a bigger risk than an across the wire.  Just
because you will have the old server there just in case.

You will want to run the NWDeploy util from the root of the OS CD.
http://www.novell.com/documentation/nw65/index.html?page=/documentation/
nw65/install/data/brg2sik.html

Also to change a volume to NSS
TID 10088251

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant
Independant Experts
Novell Support Forums Volenteer Sysop
0
Timothy

Netware 5.1, Netware 5.1 SP6, Netware 5.1 SP8, Nici
I'm building a test network that is currently a mess. This network will be used to test the migration of my 10 netware 5.1 Sp 6 servers to NW 6.5. I'm putting two netware 5.1 servers and one MS 2003 server into the test network. Testserver 1 is a 5.1 SP6 server with a master replica. When installing Testserver 2 using the NW51SP6 overlay, the installation failed with a css.nlm "waiting for xmgr" error. Consequently, I was going to create a 5.1 server and then install the SP6 overlay or the SP6 depending on what worked best. My NW51 original disks are scratched and...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade.
I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to upgrade them to Netware 6.5. I will upgrade one server, then the others will be upgraded in a couple of months. Is it best to upgrade my master replica first so my replica in a mixed environment is a 6.5 server? Or at least make my master replica server whatever server I upgrade to 6.5? If so why? Hi, lanman7777@hotmail.com wrote: > > I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to > upgrade them to Netware 6.5. > I will upgrade one server, then the others will be up...

Upgrade to Netware 6.5 from Netware 5.1
Currently on NW5.1 with a few servers at main and remote offices. Want (need) to upgrade to newer NOS, so my logical choice would be OES with the Netware option (and so that I can start playing with the Linux option). On the training side I'd appreciate a few pointers. I currently have a NW5.1 CNA and several years experience. I'd like to get the necessary training to be able to upgrade and administer Netware 6.5, hopefully with some exposure to the Linux flavor on the side to get me started. Preferably a certfication would help but not mandatory. In the old days I&...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade
I currently have 2 netware 5.1 servers and want to upgrade to netware 6.5. The Netware 5.1 servers are running NDS 7.47. Should I upgrade to edir on the netware 5.1 servers before the migration, if so what are the steps, as I read the update on the netware 5.1 download section that said that the edir update cannot be applied to a 5.1 server running NDS 7.x or can I use NDS 7.47 on the 5.1 server during the migration process? Thanks John, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated...

Upgrade Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
I have Netware 5.1 SP7 & eDirectory 8.7.03 with 4 servers. I would like to upgrade all servers to Netware 6.5 but only 3 can be upgraded at the same time as 1 server is in a remote office. Should I upgrade the master server in the root partition first? Also, will the upgrade change the eDirectory version? Should I upgrade to eDirectory 8.7.3.3 immediately after the Netware 6.5 upgrade? Please help. Thanks Che From the eDirectory point of view, your servers are already up to date. So an upgrade to NW 6.5 will not upgrade your eDirectory and as such will not create comp...

Have Groupwise 5.5 on Netware 5.1 going to Netware 6.5
HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade going to cause a problem. And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware 6.5 ? thanks Dave HI, dw@dymaxion.ca wrote: > > HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to > 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade > going to cause a problem. MOst likely not, however... > And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware > 6.5 ? Not officially. It will most ...

In-place upgrade from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
I am going to upgrade my Netware 5.1 servers to Netware 6.5, any precautions, suggestions, or comment about the in-place upgrade? There are many servers in my environment, but all of them are: Netware 5.1 SP8 Netware 5.1 SP7 NDS 7.62c NDS7.61 Thanks for any reply. Question Man wrote: > I am going to upgrade my Netware 5.1 servers to Netware 6.5, any > precautions, suggestions, or comment about the in-place upgrade? > > There are many servers in my environment, but all of them are: > Netware 5.1 SP8 > Netware 5.1 SP7 > NDS 7.62c > NDS7.61 ...

Questions on upgrading from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
We are currently running Netware 5.1sp5 ds 8 version 8.82 I want to install a clean netware 6.5 server and make it the Master replica, following with an inplace upgrade of six read\write netware 5.1 servers to 6.5. What should I be concerned about? Does this sound like the appropriate path to take? You can install the NW6.5 server as a Pre-Migration server, there will be no other application installed on the server, use MW7.1. In order to do this make sure all you other servers have eDir8.7.3 install and update the SP to the latest available for NW5.1. Get a copy of the tru...

Upgrading a Netware 5.1 server to Netware 6.5
I am part of a large tree. Before starting upgrade of Netware 5.1 server to Netware 6.5 I ran dsrepair and received no errors. During the Health check of the upgrade I received two warnings. They are Warning extend schema and repair schema. All the primary servers in the tree have already been upgraded to Netware 6.5. The admin of the primary servers control extend the schema. I am trying to find out if the warnings I received is something they need to repair or is there something else I need to do on my own server? I would appreciated any help I can get. Thanks Michel...

NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Upgrade Question
I have a customer with a NetWare 5.1 Network. They have a main location with with their primary NetWare 5.1 server, then they have multiple locations which also have their own individual NetWare 5.1 servers which are all part of the same tree. They are looking to upgrade to NetWare 6.5 and also install GroupWise 6.5. They are also going to have one new additional server when they upgrade. I am wondering which would be better, to start a new tree on the new server machine and migrate/recreate everything in the tree and somehow unjoin the old servers and rejoin them to the ne...

Upgrading Netware 5.1 SP4 to Netware 6.5
Can Netware 5.1 SP4 servers co-exist with Netware 6.5 servers? Currently, all servers have Netware 5.1 SP4 with eDirectory 8.6.2 (DS.NLM 10350.07). We want to upgrade the replica servers to 6.5 first, and then knock off our 5.1 servers over time. Can we do this without applying SP6a to Netware 5.1? If not, then what would be the ideal migration path? Thanks in advance, J Wolfgang Goerlich , > Can Netware 5.1 SP4 servers co-exist with Netware 6.5 servers? Yes. > Currently, all servers have Netware 5.1 SP4 with eDirectory 8.6.2 > (DS.NLM 10350.07). We want to upgrad...

NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Upgrade Question
I have a customer with a NetWare 5.1 Network. They have a main location with with their primary NetWare 5.1 server, then they have multiple locations which also have their own individual NetWare 5.1 servers which are all part of the same tree. They are looking to upgrade to NetWare 6.5 and also install GroupWise 6.5. They are also going to have one new additional server when they upgrade. I am wondering which would be better, to start a new tree on the new server machine and migrate/recreate everything in the tree and somehow unjoin the old servers and rejoin them to the ne...

Web resources about - Upgrading from Netware 5.1 to netware 6.5 - novell.netware.6x.install

Upgrading From Windows 1.0 to Windows 8 On Actual Hardware - YouTube
If you're watching this video, you've probably seen the other videos that prove it is possible to upgrade from Windows 1.0 all the way to Windows ...

Nuclear states still upgrading stocks

Apple users face issues upgrading to iOS 9
Apple customers were facing issues while upgrading to iOS 9, which was released this morning in Australia, technology blog 9to5Mac reported. ...

Upgrading IOIO to Bluetooth - YouTube