Rights disappear to users Home Directories on NSS Volumes

Hello,

We have an issue where we have migrated users data and their home drives
form traditional volumes on NetWare 5.1 to NSS volumes on NetWare 6.5 SP2

Some times users loose access to their Home Directories,

One of the odd side effects of this is as follows

If you look at the trustees to their home directory in either consoleone or
nwadmin it shows them as a trustee. If you try to delete the trustee
assignment so you can reply it you receive an message to the effect this was
already deleted from another station, please refresh to see the change. If
you close and reopen it is still there, from another PC we can remove the
trustee  (if you do not reassign) but simple close and go back in the
trustee is back as it was never removed.

I am going to try two things

1: NSS Rebuild Visibility
2: NSS Verifypool

To see if the rebuild visibility fixes the issue and if the verifypool shows
up any errors

In the mean time has any one else seen this problem and if so what was the
fix. I saw another TID that suggested this could be caused by a corrupt
volume object and to remove and recreate the volume object however this
would mean exporting and re-assigning the home drive information and queue
information etc as these would be lost upon deletion of the volume.

This issue is intermittent it does not effect every one and affects
different people at different times

Any suggestions please?
Thank you
0
EBrant

I am having the exact same problem in the exact same configuration.  I
would be delighted to find a solution.

David

> Hello,
>
> We have an issue where we have migrated users data and their home drives
> form traditional volumes on NetWare 5.1 to NSS volumes on NetWare 6.5 SP2
>
> Some times users loose access to their Home Directories,
>
> One of the odd side effects of this is as follows
>
> If you look at the trustees to their home directory in either consoleone
or
> nwadmin it shows them as a trustee. If you try to delete the trustee
> assignment so you can reply it you receive an message to the effect this
was
> already deleted from another station, please refresh to see the change.
If
> you close and reopen it is still there, from another PC we can remove the
> trustee  (if you do not reassign) but simple close and go back in the
> trustee is back as it was never removed.
>
> I am going to try two things
>
> 1: NSS Rebuild Visibility
> 2: NSS Verifypool
>
> To see if the rebuild visibility fixes the issue and if the verifypool
shows
> up any errors
>
> In the mean time has any one else seen this problem and if so what was
the
> fix. I saw another TID that suggested this could be caused by a corrupt
> volume object and to remove and recreate the volume object however this
> would mean exporting and re-assigning the home drive information and
queue
> information etc as these would be lost upon deletion of the volume.
>
> This issue is intermittent it does not effect every one and affects
> different people at different times
>
> Any suggestions please?
> Thank you

0
dls
8/19/2004 11:16:33 PM
Firstly make sure you apply edir8732.exe to fix a bad memory leak in DS
in SP2.

Now, check into licensing. You should have an NLS_LSP object for each
6.5 server, assigned to it and in its container. A 6.5 server license
object should be in the same container as the server object, or above
that in the tree, and not assigned to any server. If non-MLA, a 6.5 user
(conn) license needs to be in the same container as the user objects, or
above that in the tree, and not assigned to any server. Make sure the
two license types are successfully being consumed.
--
  Andrew C Taubman
  Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp

  Opinions expressed above are not
  necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0
Andrew
8/20/2004 12:28:18 AM
We had the exact same issue this past weekend.  We did the same thing,
migrate 5.1 users to 6.5 cluster.  It worked until  SP2.  We removed SP2,
fixed the affected users, and it seems to have stopped.  At this point we
suspect SP2.

Troy Barwick
remove the nospam for email contact

0