NW 5.0 SP6a GW 5.5 Upgrade to NW 6.0 GW 6.5 and New Hardware

We are planning on upgrading a mirrored NW 5.0 SP6a GW 5.5 server to a
raid 5 NW 6.0 GW 6.5 server in a mixed NW 5.0/NW 6.0 environment.  My
supervisor has been having me try restoring NDS from a tape backup onto
test servers to simulate our production network before implementing the
upgrade.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to simulate our production
network (Is it necessary to do this) for testing?  and/or

Is there more than one method to accomplish the transition between old
NW5.0/GW5.5 and new NW6.0/GW6.5 and a specific order to follow for that
method?  My supervisor has been wanting me to use a tape restore method
for data and NDS but it seems difficult.

Thanks in advance.

0
rmigel

rmigel wrote:

> We are planning on upgrading a mirrored NW 5.0 SP6a GW 5.5 server to a
> raid 5 NW 6.0 GW 6.5 server in a mixed NW 5.0/NW 6.0 environment.  My
> supervisor has been having me try restoring NDS from a tape backup onto
> test servers to simulate our production network before implementing the
> upgrade.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to simulate our production
> network (Is it necessary to do this) for testing?  and/or
>
> Is there more than one method to accomplish the transition between old
> NW5.0/GW5.5 and new NW6.0/GW6.5 and a specific order to follow for that
> method?  My supervisor has been wanting me to use a tape restore method
> for data and NDS but it seems difficult.

The migration wizard from download.novell.com might be worth a look.

--

Andy Thompson
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp