Netware 6.5 & Netware 5.1

We currently are running NW 5.1, NDS 8.85c.
Are there any ramifications installing a NW 6.5 server into our present
tree? I realize the upgrading NDS 8.85c to eDirectory would be the
recommendation, but for various reasons we are not going to upgrade DS.
0
marmagnac

marmagnac@ochsner.org wrote:

> We currently are running NW 5.1, NDS 8.85c.
> Are there any ramifications installing a NW 6.5 server into our present
> tree?

As long as you execute the deployment manager once, no.

> I realize the upgrading NDS 8.85c to eDirectory would be the
> recommendation, but for various reasons we are not going to upgrade DS.

Well, technically you are updating your DS with the introduction of
NW6.5 and eDir 8.7.3 into the tree. I'd strongly suggest to reconsider
updating your existing servers too. Except a few minutes of downtime,
there's really no good reason not to.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop

Netware 5.1, Netware 5.1 SP6, Netware 5.1 SP8, Nici
I'm building a test network that is currently a mess. This network will be used to test the migration of my 10 netware 5.1 Sp 6 servers to NW 6.5. I'm putting two netware 5.1 servers and one MS 2003 server into the test network. Testserver 1 is a 5.1 SP6 server with a master replica. When installing Testserver 2 using the NW51SP6 overlay, the installation failed with a css.nlm "waiting for xmgr" error. Consequently, I was going to create a 5.1 server and then install the SP6 overlay or the SP6 depending on what worked best. My NW51 original disks are scratched and...

Have Groupwise 5.5 on Netware 5.1 going to Netware 6.5
HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade going to cause a problem. And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware 6.5 ? thanks Dave HI, dw@dymaxion.ca wrote: > > HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to > 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade > going to cause a problem. MOst likely not, however... > And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware > 6.5 ? Not officially. It will most ...

Netware 5.1 SP7 to Netware 6.5 SP1b
Did first in-place upgrade in Production yesterday. Two issues: 1) Install seemed to hang at the very end. Closing installation files. (We let it set for 20 minutes and then closed diaglog box). Then was able to restart server. Server was not hung. 2) Can not access iManager Do I have to recreate CA for 6.5? My test network which has different hardware works. I will compare results. Any suggestions on what I can try next. thanks, Linda Was finally able to get iManager to work. Found several tids. TIDS 10068769, 10086939, 10087650, 10088796...

Netware 5.1 and Netware 6.5 together
Hello, I have 8 Netware 5.1 servers. I like to install two Netware 6.5 servers into my Netware 5.1 tree. Will that cause any problems? How will eDirectory know if the client access uses the Netware 5.1 liceence or the Netware 6.5 license? Any suggestion is really appreciated. Thanks, calvin > I have 8 Netware 5.1 servers. I like to install two Netware 6.5 servers into > my Netware 5.1 tree. Will that cause any problems? The biggest thing to look at is what version of eDirectory you have on the 5.1 machines. What version(s) do you have? > ...

Upgrade Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
I have Netware 5.1 SP7 & eDirectory 8.7.03 with 4 servers. I would like to upgrade all servers to Netware 6.5 but only 3 can be upgraded at the same time as 1 server is in a remote office. Should I upgrade the master server in the root partition first? Also, will the upgrade change the eDirectory version? Should I upgrade to eDirectory 8.7.3.3 immediately after the Netware 6.5 upgrade? Please help. Thanks Che From the eDirectory point of view, your servers are already up to date. So an upgrade to NW 6.5 will not upgrade your eDirectory and as such will not create comp...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade.
I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to upgrade them to Netware 6.5. I will upgrade one server, then the others will be upgraded in a couple of months. Is it best to upgrade my master replica first so my replica in a mixed environment is a 6.5 server? Or at least make my master replica server whatever server I upgrade to 6.5? If so why? Hi, lanman7777@hotmail.com wrote: > > I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to > upgrade them to Netware 6.5. > I will upgrade one server, then the others will be up...

Netware 6.5 & Netware 5 Volumes
I currently have a Netware 5 server with Sys on a local disk and a Netware 5 volume (Data) on a external Raid 5 enclosure through a Adaptec 2940U2W adapter holding just my data. I am replacing the old server & installing a new Netware 6.5 server with the sys volume on a local Raid 5 stack. ?Question - Can I install the Adaptec 2940U2W with the proper drivers and expect to see and mount the old Netware 5 Data Volume Yes, however there has been a problem that has been recently identified that if this volume is not present when the server is installed, it can be deleted if the...

Upgrading from Netware 5.1 to netware 6.5
Hi, I plan to migrate my 4 Netware 5.1 servers to netware 6.5. What action do I have to do first?Upgrade DS version, latest patchs... My configuration is : - Netware 5.1 SP5 - DHCP is running - NDPS Broker, Manager - DS version 10330.03 - ZfD 3.2 - DirXml 1.1 + passwordSync I also plan to migrate to NIM 2.0 (or IDM, I don't know how to call that!) and ZEN 4 What is the best method?Any feedback experience on projects like this would really be appreciate! Email is also acceptable! Regards, Maurice TADANG I would apply the sp7 patch to the 5.1 servers, then up...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade
I currently have 2 netware 5.1 servers and want to upgrade to netware 6.5. The Netware 5.1 servers are running NDS 7.47. Should I upgrade to edir on the netware 5.1 servers before the migration, if so what are the steps, as I read the update on the netware 5.1 download section that said that the edir update cannot be applied to a 5.1 server running NDS 7.x or can I use NDS 7.47 on the 5.1 server during the migration process? Thanks John, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated...

Upgrade to Netware 6.5 from Netware 5.1
Currently on NW5.1 with a few servers at main and remote offices. Want (need) to upgrade to newer NOS, so my logical choice would be OES with the Netware option (and so that I can start playing with the Linux option). On the training side I'd appreciate a few pointers. I currently have a NW5.1 CNA and several years experience. I'd like to get the necessary training to be able to upgrade and administer Netware 6.5, hopefully with some exposure to the Linux flavor on the side to get me started. Preferably a certfication would help but not mandatory. In the old days I&...

NetWare 6.5 + NetWare 5.1 in same tree
I have 7 NW65SP5 and 1 NW51SP8 nodes in the same tree, I need to patch the NW65SP5 nodes to SP7, can I go straight from SP5 to SP7, or do I need to go from SP6 to SP7, and how will that affect the NW51SP8 node? thanks -- Arjen_Robben ------------------------------------------------------------------------ You should be able to go direct -- the 5.1 SP8 should be ok here. -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Arjen_Robben wrote: > > I have 7 NW65SP5 and 1 NW51SP8 nodes in the same tree, I need to patch > the NW65SP5 nodes to SP7...

Web resources about - Netware 6.5 & Netware 5.1 - novell.netware.6x.install

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ