I was able to install my first Netware 6.5 server into my Netware 5.1
tree but I have a couple issues.

I already had 400 Edirectory Licenses installed so I didn't install any
Netware 6.5 Client licenses.

When I changed the login script to map to the new server no one accept
admins could map any drives.  We were getting 8901 error codes.

Do I need to install client licenses to make this go away?

Also no replicas of the master Netware 5.1 server was installed on the
Netware 6.5 server, so how do I force the new server to hold a
read/write replica of the master.

Thanks in advance for any help

--
dshegrud

dshegrud

Dshegrud,
> Do I need to install client licenses to make this go away?

Yes, or an unlimited server license, ie an audited one.

> Also no replicas of the master Netware 5.1 server was installed on the
> Netware 6.5 server, so how do I force the new server to hold a
> read/write replica of the master.

Use ConsoleOne, Partition and replica view to add a replica to that
server.

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
11/30/2009 7:06:11 PM
Dshegrud,
> Do I need to install client licenses to make this go away?

Yes, or an unlimited server license, ie an audited one.

Anders, I did install with an unlimited server license, where does one
aquire that same thing for the clients?

> Also no replicas of the master Netware 5.1 server was installed on
the
> Netware 6.5 server, so how do I force the new server to hold a
> read/write replica of the master.

Use ConsoleOne, Partition and replica view to add a replica to that
server.

I tried this already, but when I right click any of my partitions, the
add replica button is greyed out.

--
dshegrud
dshegrud's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=72260

0
dshegrud
11/30/2009 7:36:02 PM
Dshegrud,
> Anders, I did install with an unlimited server license, where does one
> aquire that same thing for the clients?

Type VERSION on the server console. What does it say? Please post here,
but obfuscate any serial numbers.

> I tried this already, but when I right click any of my partitions, the
> add replica button is greyed out.

Click on the server, add replica.

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
11/30/2009 8:30:13 PM
Type VERSION on the server console. What does it say? Please post here,
but obfuscate any serial numbers.

Novell Open Enterprise Server, Netware 6.5
Support Pack Revision 08
(C) Copyright 1983-2008 Novell Inc.  All Rights Reserved.  Patent
Pending.
Server Version 5.70.08 October 3, 2008
Novell eDirecotry Version 8.8 SP4 SMP
NDS Version 20217.06  November 4, 2008
Server License:  Novell Netware 6 Server 650 SN:XXXXXXXXX
User Licenses:  Novell Netware 6 User 650 (Hard Stop)

Click on the server, add replica.

From the Netware 6.5 server in Partition View, I do not have this
option.  Could it be something wrong with my Console One.  I have
version 1.3.6
JDK 1.3.1 JVM 1.4.1_01

When I click on a Netware 5.1 server in Partition View in Console One,
I can click Delete Replica, Change Replica Type, and Replica
Information, but Add Replica stays greyed out.

Thank you for helping me out.

Darby

--
dshegrud
dshegrud's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=72260
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=394379

0
dshegrud
11/30/2009 9:06:02 PM
Anders disregard the 2nd part, I was not at the root level when trying
to add the replica.  I was at the container level, when I switched to
the root it allowed me to add a replica.

--
dshegrud
dshegrud's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=72260
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=394379

0
dshegrud
11/30/2009 9:16:02 PM
Dshegrud,
> Server License:  Novell Netware 6 Server 650 SN:XXXXXXXXX
> User Licenses:  Novell Netware 6 User 650 (Hard Stop)

But that is not an unlimited configuration. Should look like this:
Server License: Novell NetWare 6 Server 650 SN:XXXXXXXX
User Licenses: Audited

Ie, if you have an unlimited server license, you do not need user
licenses and AFAIK have all NW 6.5 licenses that have been shipped the
last few years been of this type.

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
12/1/2009 7:01:49 AM
That was the problem Anders, I didn't install the right license, it was
confusing since I had every version of 6.5.  When I installed the
correct license and restarted the license service everything started
working.

--
dshegrud
dshegrud's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=72260
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=394379

0
dshegrud
12/1/2009 6:06:02 PM
Dshegrud,
> That was the problem Anders, I didn't install the right license, it was
> confusing since I had every version of 6.5.  When I installed the
> correct license and restarted the license service everything started
> working.

OK. Glad we got it sorted.

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders

installing netware 6.5 cluster into exisiting netware 5 tree.

installing netware 6.5 servers into a exisiting netware 5 tree.
Currently have Netware 5.0 Servers sp4 and some sp5 We intend to install two new cluster servers running the latest version so would like to install two 6.5 Netware Servers which includes a 2 node cluster. Is it possible to install netware 6.5 into my existing Netware 5.0 network. Also we currently are running a 2 node cluster on netware 5 running the first ver of cluster servers 1.0. We found that this version wouldnt support our subnet mask of 255.255.240.0 but only the default one 255.255.255.0. Can the new version of cluster services support 255.255.240.0 Regards. &g...

Netware 5.1, Netware 5.1 SP6, Netware 5.1 SP8, Nici
I'm building a test network that is currently a mess. This network will be used to test the migration of my 10 netware 5.1 Sp 6 servers to NW 6.5. I'm putting two netware 5.1 servers and one MS 2003 server into the test network. Testserver 1 is a 5.1 SP6 server with a master replica. When installing Testserver 2 using the NW51SP6 overlay, the installation failed with a css.nlm "waiting for xmgr" error. Consequently, I was going to create a 5.1 server and then install the SP6 overlay or the SP6 depending on what worked best. My NW51 original disks are scratched and...

Netware 5.1 SP7 to Netware 6.5 SP1b
Did first in-place upgrade in Production yesterday. Two issues: 1) Install seemed to hang at the very end. Closing installation files. (We let it set for 20 minutes and then closed diaglog box). Then was able to restart server. Server was not hung. 2) Can not access iManager Do I have to recreate CA for 6.5? My test network which has different hardware works. I will compare results. Any suggestions on what I can try next. thanks, Linda Was finally able to get iManager to work. Found several tids. TIDS 10068769, 10086939, 10087650, 10088796...

NetWare 6.5 + NetWare 5.1 in same tree
I have 7 NW65SP5 and 1 NW51SP8 nodes in the same tree, I need to patch the NW65SP5 nodes to SP7, can I go straight from SP5 to SP7, or do I need to go from SP6 to SP7, and how will that affect the NW51SP8 node? thanks -- Arjen_Robben ------------------------------------------------------------------------ You should be able to go direct -- the 5.1 SP8 should be ok here. -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Arjen_Robben wrote: > > I have 7 NW65SP5 and 1 NW51SP8 nodes in the same tree, I need to patch > the NW65SP5 nodes to SP7...

Installing first Netware 6.5 server into an all Netware 6 Tree
Is there a problem if I install a Netware 6.5 server as a Read/Write replice into an all Netware 6 tree. Will there be any problems installing since it won't be a master. Is there a edirectory version? any documents on this? > Is there a problem if I install a Netware 6.5 server as a Read/Write > replice into an all Netware 6 tree. > > Will there be any problems installing since it won't be a master. Is > there a edirectory version? any documents on this? Read/write replica of the root partition, or read/write of some other partition? ...

Hi, Does anyone know of any preresequites or concerns of adding new NetWare 6.5 servers into a tree which only contains two NetWare 6.0 servers? The NetWare 6.5 servers will be clustered. Thank you! Mark, > Hi, Does anyone know of any preresequites or concerns of adding new > NetWare 6.5 servers into a tree which only contains two NetWare 6.0 > servers? The NetWare 6.5 servers will be clustered. Run the NWDeploy.exe from the OS CD, run the Extend schema and prepare network options. On Feb 1, 6:09 pm, Hamish <ham...@haitch.net> wrote: > Mark, > &...

Have Groupwise 5.5 on Netware 5.1 going to Netware 6.5
HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade going to cause a problem. And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware 6.5 ? thanks Dave HI, dw@dymaxion.ca wrote: > > HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to > 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade > going to cause a problem. MOst likely not, however... > And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware > 6.5 ? Not officially. It will most ...

Install NetWare 6.5 server into 5.1 tree?
Are there any issues with installing a new NetWare 6.5 server into a NetWare 5.1 tree. We are presently on eDir 8.73. You should be ok here -- what Service Pack is deployed on the 5.1 servers? -- Barry Schnur Novell Volunteer Sysop We are on SP6 but may be moving to SP7 relatively soon. "Barry Schnur" <barry@home.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1c5079df974821c9896b8@support-forums.novell.com... > You should be ok here -- what Service Pack is deployed on the 5.1 > servers? > > -- > Barry Schnur > Novell Volunteer Sysop OK -- SP6 ...

Installing a NetWare 6.5 server into an all 5.1 tree
We are considering installing a NetWare 6.5 server into one of our remote sites. All of our other servers are currently 5.1. I know it is not an issue to put the 6.5 server into our environment, but NetWare Customer Service told me that it is suggested that the master replica be put onto the 6.5 server. We don't want to do that since this is a remote site, and we really don't want to upgrade our existing master replica server at this time. Would we be able to "get away with" installing just a partition replica onto the 6.5 server and maintain the Master Repl...

Install Netware 6.5 into a 5.1 tree enviroment
I want to install Netware 6.5 into a brand new server into a Netware 5.1 enviroment. NDS is 8.85c and Service Pack 7. My main reason of doing this is that Groupwise is on 5.1 which I'll upgrade also and I will be migrating the post office from 5.1 server to 6.5 server then I'll migrate the users data. Maybe there's a better way, I don't know? Will I have issue's doing this? Has anybody have any tips or thoughts on this. Thanks JC You can install the 65 server into the tree once you prep the tree. This is done by running the NWDeploy utility from the OS CD...

Web resources about - Netware 6.5 install into Netware 5.1 Tree - novell.netware.6x.install

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ