Netware 5.1 and Netware 6.5 together

Hello,

I have 8 Netware 5.1 servers. I like to install two Netware 6.5
servers into
my Netware 5.1 tree. Will that cause any problems?

How will eDirectory know if the client access uses the Netware 5.1
liceence
or the Netware 6.5 license?

Any suggestion is really appreciated.

Thanks,

calvin

0
Calvin

> I have 8 Netware 5.1 servers. I like to install two Netware 6.5
servers into
> my Netware 5.1 tree. Will that cause any problems?

The biggest thing to look at is what version of eDirectory you have on
the 5.1
machines.  What version(s) do you have?

> How will eDirectory know if the client access uses the Netware 5.1
liceence
> or the Netware 6.5 license?

It consumes a 5.1 license when logging into a 5.1 server; and a 6.5
license when
logging into a 6.5 server.  Beginning with 6.0, user and server
licenses are two
different things, and if you don't assign 6.x licenses to a server
they become
'tree' licenses, each user license being good for use through the
entire tree
(regardless of the number of 6.x servers).  You do have to have the
right
version (e.g. a 6.0 license does you no good on a 6.5 server) user
license
available, however.

Novell Product Support Forums SysOp
John's Tips & Links Page:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstoecker/novell/

#include disclaim.h:
# My opinions are not necessarily those of Novell
# or its employees or even the other forum sysops or regulars.
posted using Xananews 1.16.1.3

0
John
2/3/2004 12:33:11 AM
Thanks for the super quick response.

My netware 5.1 Servers are on SP6.

I believe all my Netware servers got eDirectory verison 885.

Will that cause the problem?

Thanks,

Calvin

"John Stoecker" <jstoeckerAT@SIGNkwtennPER.IODcom> wrote in message

> > I have 8 Netware 5.1 servers. I like to install two Netware 6.5
servers
into
> > my Netware 5.1 tree. Will that cause any problems?
>
> The biggest thing to look at is what version of eDirectory you have
on the
5.1
> machines.  What version(s) do you have?
>

> > How will eDirectory know if the client access uses the Netware 5.1

liceence
> > or the Netware 6.5 license?
>
> It consumes a 5.1 license when logging into a 5.1 server; and a 6.5
license when
> logging into a 6.5 server.  Beginning with 6.0, user and server
licenses
are two
> different things, and if you don't assign 6.x licenses to a server
they
become
> 'tree' licenses, each user license being good for use through the
entire
tree
> (regardless of the number of 6.x servers).  You do have to have the
right
> version (e.g. a 6.0 license does you no good on a 6.5 server) user
license
> available, however.
>
> --
> Novell Product Support Forums SysOp
> John's Tips & Links Page:
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstoecker/novell/
>
> #include disclaim.h:
> # My opinions are not necessarily those of Novell
> # or its employees or even the other forum sysops or regulars.
> posted using Xananews 1.16.1.3

0
Calvin
2/3/2004 12:39:30 AM
> My netware 5.1 Servers are on SP6.
>
> I believe all my Netware servers got eDirectory verison 885.

When you enter a "M ds" at the server console, what version is reported -
I think you might have 85.xx.

Are you intending to interoperate the 5.1 machines long-term with the 6.5
ones?

John

Novell Product Support Forums SysOp
John's Tips & Links Page:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstoecker/novell/

#include disclaim.h:
# My opinions are not necessarily those of Novell
# or its employees or even the other forum sysops or regulars.
posted using Xananews 1.16.1.3
0
John

Netware 5.1, Netware 5.1 SP6, Netware 5.1 SP8, Nici
I'm building a test network that is currently a mess. This network will be used to test the migration of my 10 netware 5.1 Sp 6 servers to NW 6.5. I'm putting two netware 5.1 servers and one MS 2003 server into the test network. Testserver 1 is a 5.1 SP6 server with a master replica. When installing Testserver 2 using the NW51SP6 overlay, the installation failed with a css.nlm "waiting for xmgr" error. Consequently, I was going to create a 5.1 server and then install the SP6 overlay or the SP6 depending on what worked best. My NW51 original disks are scratched and...

Have Groupwise 5.5 on Netware 5.1 going to Netware 6.5
HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade going to cause a problem. And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware 6.5 ? thanks Dave HI, dw@dymaxion.ca wrote: > > HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to > 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade > going to cause a problem. MOst likely not, however... > And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware > 6.5 ? Not officially. It will most ...

Netware 5.1 SP7 to Netware 6.5 SP1b
Did first in-place upgrade in Production yesterday. Two issues: 1) Install seemed to hang at the very end. Closing installation files. (We let it set for 20 minutes and then closed diaglog box). Then was able to restart server. Server was not hung. 2) Can not access iManager Do I have to recreate CA for 6.5? My test network which has different hardware works. I will compare results. Any suggestions on what I can try next. thanks, Linda Was finally able to get iManager to work. Found several tids. TIDS 10068769, 10086939, 10087650, 10088796...

Netware 6.5 & Netware 5.1
We currently are running NW 5.1, NDS 8.85c. Are there any ramifications installing a NW 6.5 server into our present tree? I realize the upgrading NDS 8.85c to eDirectory would be the recommendation, but for various reasons we are not going to upgrade DS. Hi, marmagnac@ochsner.org wrote: > > We currently are running NW 5.1, NDS 8.85c. > Are there any ramifications installing a NW 6.5 server into our present > tree? As long as you execute the deployment manager once, no. > I realize the upgrading NDS 8.85c to eDirectory would be the > recommendation, but ...

Upgrade Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
I have Netware 5.1 SP7 & eDirectory 8.7.03 with 4 servers. I would like to upgrade all servers to Netware 6.5 but only 3 can be upgraded at the same time as 1 server is in a remote office. Should I upgrade the master server in the root partition first? Also, will the upgrade change the eDirectory version? Should I upgrade to eDirectory 8.7.3.3 immediately after the Netware 6.5 upgrade? Please help. Thanks Che From the eDirectory point of view, your servers are already up to date. So an upgrade to NW 6.5 will not upgrade your eDirectory and as such will not create comp...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade.
I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to upgrade them to Netware 6.5. I will upgrade one server, then the others will be upgraded in a couple of months. Is it best to upgrade my master replica first so my replica in a mixed environment is a 6.5 server? Or at least make my master replica server whatever server I upgrade to 6.5? If so why? Hi, lanman7777@hotmail.com wrote: > > I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to > upgrade them to Netware 6.5. > I will upgrade one server, then the others will be up...

NetWare 6.5 + NetWare 5.1 in same tree
I have 7 NW65SP5 and 1 NW51SP8 nodes in the same tree, I need to patch the NW65SP5 nodes to SP7, can I go straight from SP5 to SP7, or do I need to go from SP6 to SP7, and how will that affect the NW51SP8 node? thanks -- Arjen_Robben ------------------------------------------------------------------------ You should be able to go direct -- the 5.1 SP8 should be ok here. -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Arjen_Robben wrote: > > I have 7 NW65SP5 and 1 NW51SP8 nodes in the same tree, I need to patch > the NW65SP5 nodes to SP7...

Upgrading from Netware 5.1 to netware 6.5
Hi, I plan to migrate my 4 Netware 5.1 servers to netware 6.5. What action do I have to do first?Upgrade DS version, latest patchs... My configuration is : - Netware 5.1 SP5 - DHCP is running - NDPS Broker, Manager - DS version 10330.03 - ZfD 3.2 - DirXml 1.1 + passwordSync I also plan to migrate to NIM 2.0 (or IDM, I don't know how to call that!) and ZEN 4 What is the best method?Any feedback experience on projects like this would really be appreciate! Email is also acceptable! Regards, Maurice TADANG I would apply the sp7 patch to the 5.1 servers, then up...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade
I currently have 2 netware 5.1 servers and want to upgrade to netware 6.5. The Netware 5.1 servers are running NDS 7.47. Should I upgrade to edir on the netware 5.1 servers before the migration, if so what are the steps, as I read the update on the netware 5.1 download section that said that the edir update cannot be applied to a 5.1 server running NDS 7.x or can I use NDS 7.47 on the 5.1 server during the migration process? Thanks John, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated...

Upgrade to Netware 6.5 from Netware 5.1
Currently on NW5.1 with a few servers at main and remote offices. Want (need) to upgrade to newer NOS, so my logical choice would be OES with the Netware option (and so that I can start playing with the Linux option). On the training side I'd appreciate a few pointers. I currently have a NW5.1 CNA and several years experience. I'd like to get the necessary training to be able to upgrade and administer Netware 6.5, hopefully with some exposure to the Linux flavor on the side to get me started. Preferably a certfication would help but not mandatory. In the old days I&...

Netware 5 to Netware 5.1
I have an old copy of Netware 5 that I would try out and install on a spare computer. However, how would I go about upgrading to Netware 5.1? Would this be something I would have to purchase, or is it something I can download? , > Would this be something I would have to purchase, or is it something I > can download? > Purchase. An upgrade,and I suggest 6.5 in that case. SBS version if you have less than 50 users. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20) Novell does not monitor these forums officially...

Web resources about - Netware 5.1 and Netware 6.5 together - novell.netware.6x.install

Trump wants GOP shows him respect
USA TODAY Trump wants GOP shows him respect USA TODAY Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump speaks during a rally aboard the aircraft ...

Federal authorities set to indict friend who bought guns for San Bernardino ...
Fox News Federal authorities set to indict friend who bought guns for San Bernardino ... Fox News Federal authorities are expected to bring ...

Lie-detecting software uses real court case data
By studying videos from high-stakes court cases, University of Michigan researchers are building unique lie-detecting software based on real-world ...

Yahoo's Mayer: From grocery store to Silicon Valley star
She is one of the biggest stars in Silicon Valley, but multimillionaire chief executive Marissa Mayer has her hands full trying to revive the ...

1 After Another, Chicago Police Videos Made Public
Under a national spotlight, Chicago releases video after video showing police encounters

'Straight Outta Compton' Director F. Gary Gray Reacts to SAG Award Nomination
Actors Ice Cube , O’Shea Jackson Jr , and director F. Gary Gray pose together at the Straight Outta Compton Celebration Lunch held at Chevalier ...

Alexander Skarsgard Unleashes His Wild Side in First Trailer for ‘The Legend of Tarzan’ – WATCH
The first trailer for the upcoming film The Legend of Tarzan has been released and teases glimpses of star Alexander Skarsgard’s muscled body ...

Uber riders jam to the Chainsmokers with world's coolest driver
Uber driver Jonathan likes to keep his rides interesting. So he invites his passengers to jam out to his favorite Chainsmokers song, "Roses." ...

Can The Toxicity Of Ted Cruz Actually Be Trumpf's GOP Insurance Policy?
At Trumpf's bund rally in South Carolina a few days ago, he Islamophobic remarks got most of the news. But did you miss that he also seems to ...

YouTube Rewind 2015 celebrates the year’s top videos
The year's almost over, and that means it is time for YouTube's year in review. YouTube is home to content covering all aspects of the year — ...