Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5

We would like to upgrade our Netware 5.0 server to Netware 6.5, and I
am
looking for a plan of attack.  Attempts thus far have failed:

We have 5.0 on a 38G drive partitioned into several volumes, with
another
38G partitioned into a couple of volumes available for other data, and
an
unused 8G drive.    Everything is backed up to tape.   We use the
server
to run Groupwise, and the Netscape enterprise web server also.

If I boot the 6.5CD from DOS, it will let me install a new 6.5 server.

Not what I want.

If I mount it in NW5.0, and use the GUI to install it, it fails with
some
sort of java message about a missing NISwitch or something like that.

If I run NWDeploy from a Windows workstation, it insists I need NW5.1,
and
won't do anything.      I tried the remote option, but it wouldn't
even
let me log into the server for some bizarre reason.

Sooo...    what's the best way to get the upgrade installed?    I
could
install 6.5 on the other 38G drive after deleting all the other data
on it
and repartitioning it with a DOS partition, etc., but what would
become of
my existing tree, and NDS printers, and Groupwise, and the web server?

Surely I don't just copy them back from tape??

Getting pretty frustrated here, so any suggestions would be very
welcome!

Thanks,
Ben

0
dutchebw

Ben, you can't go 'in place' from 5.0 to 6.5 -- you need to make an
interim
stop with an in place upgrade to either 5.1 or 6.0.

One approach here would be to download the 5.1 SP6 ISO image, create a

bootable 5.1 SP6 CD and do an in place with it.  No licenses, but it
is
only an interim step.  Then do an in place 5.1 to 6.5.

--
Barry Schnur

Barry

Installing Netware 6.5 into a current Netware 5.0 network

Netware 6.5 and netware 5.0
Currently have a number of 5.0 servers - 1 tree. I want to introduce two 6.5 servers into this tree running Edirectory 8.7. Can I do this, and what is the best procedure ? Do I need to update the 5.0 servers (Patches, DS. nlms). I am not going to install Edirectory on the 5.0 servers - don't think I can anyway. Do I need to extend the schema on the existing 5.0 servers before introducing 6.5 servers and Edir 8.7 into this tree ? , > Currently have a number of 5.0 servers - 1 tree. I want to introduce two > 6.5 servers into this tree running Edirectory 8.7. Can ...

Installing Netware 6.5 into a current Netware 5.0 network #2
We currently have a Netware 5.0 network running sp4. Included in this is a 2 server netware 5 cluster running the original 1.0 cluster services. We intend to install another SAN which will be a 2 server Netware 6.5 cluster. Is it ok to install netware 6.5 with exisiting Netware5 Servers? I believe we need to apply the nwsp56a patch to all our Netware 5 Server first. is this correct?. Do you apply it to the master first as this is a cluster server? Also I am concerned that when I apply the nw5sp6a patch to our exisiting Netware 5 Cluster servers it will cause problems with them...

Installing Netware 6.5 into a current Netware 5.0 network #3
Sure, What do i need to do to make my Netware 5.0 SP4 Server ready for install og Netware 6.5 Server into the exisiting Netware 5 tree Regards. Duplicate, answered above. PHIL.BEC@CULTURE.GOV.UK wrote: > > Sure, What do i need to do to make my Netware 5.0 SP4 Server > ready for install og Netware 6.5 Server into the exisiting Netware 5 tree > Regards. -- Massimo Rosen Novell Support Connection Sysop No emails please! http://www.cfc-it.de ...

Installing Netware 6.5 Servers in a existing Netware 5.0 network
I need to install two new Netware 6.5 Servers into my current Netware 5.0 network with Service packs 4/5. What updates do I need to apply to the Netware 5.0 Servers and do I download the nw65sp1b overlay file only and use that to run deployment manager, or do I have to install sp1 first. Also can you purchase nw65 licenses seperately Thanking you in advance for help given. Regards. As a minimum the 5.0 servers need nw50sp6a, os5pt2a.exe, wsock4f.exe, flsysft3.exe, ts524o.exe, and Set client file caching enabled=Off. The DS version would preferably be edir851.exe plus edir8530.e...

Migration from Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
I am install new hardware and new netware. The old server is running NW5.0 and the new one will be running NW 6.5. Is ther an easy way to move users and data from the old server to the new one. I know that I will not be able to move the printer and will have to set all of them on the new server. We have about 800 users on the old server. I think the current Server Consolidation and Migration tool supports a 5.0 source. If not, you may need to get the earlier 6.5 Migration Wizard -- it is available in the cool tools area. -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connectio...

Netware 6.5 in a Netware 5.0 Tree
I posted earlier last week and followed the advice however, it blew up during the renaming of the new/old servers before reboot(using the migration wizard). We had to back out and reinstall directory services on the old server and now we are back to where we were before. We still have to do the migration and 6.5 is very new to us. Question is: We have a multiple netware 5.0 servers. Our portion of the tree has 4 Netware 5.0 servers with SP6a installed. We also have 2 Netware 4.12 servers (also fully patched). All of these servers have local attached storaged. We pur...

Upgrade Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
Can one tell me how to upgrade a Netware 5.0 Single Server to a Netware 6.5 Singele Server where the Netware 6.5 Server will be on a new Machine. What are the specials one has to look after? Thak you You should look into Migration Wizard to ease this process. Migration Wizard can be downloaded from http://download.novell.com -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) Having used Migration Wizard 7.1 to migrate 5.0 to 6.5 I cannot recommend that route. I have seen others in these forums have the same problems I saw. A stepped migra...

Upgrade Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
Hello, I have a netware 5.0 (no sp) with ds 7.45 on a Compaq Proliant 3000. This server is alone on my tree. I want migrate this server to Netware 6.5 to a Compaq dl 380 G2. What is the best method ? Thanks for answer Fran�ois-Xavier Derveloy France You will need to deploy updates on the 5.0 server prior to running the Migration Wizard. No SP's at all on the 5.0 server? That is rare indeed. Also, how many users on this server and how much data? -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Hello, config.txt give this : Novell NetWare 5.00...

Netware 5.0 sp6a to netware 6.5
We have 4 netware 5.0 servers . We want to upgrade one to 6.5. However, I understand that you have to have at least 5.1 to do an in-place upgrade. What is my best alternative? I have heard that as well, although the documentation I got from NetWare 6.5 first class indicates otherwise -- that is the table on the printed documentation indicates there are *three* options for NW 5.0 to 6.5: 1) In Place Upgrade 2) Migration Wizard 6.5 (to new hardware) 3) Server Consolidation Utility 2.5 (to new hardware) I have been looking to get some verification of the various m...

Web resources about - Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5 - novell.netware.6x.install

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ