NetWare 4.11, NetWare for SAA, NetWare 6.5

Hi,

we have 5 netware 4.11 servers. 2 are in the main office and 3 are in

external offices, connected via vpn (DSL). The 2 servers in the main
office are in tree1, the other 3 servers have there own 3 trees.
One of the servers in the main office runs nw4saa and hostprint and we

have to keep this running approx. 8-10 months. But we want to install
5
new netware 6.5 servers (2 in the main office and 3 in the 3 external

offices).

My plan is to install 1 server in the main office with ip and ipx
installed (no scmd) to keep contact with the nw4saa server. The second

server in the main office and the 3 other servers should only have ip

installed. I want to install the new server in ONE Tree, which is
different from the existing tree, in which the saa server resides.
The locations will become an ou and each ou will be a partition and
will
hold a local replica.

My question is, if my thoughts of this configuration will be OK or if
i am
wrong in my thinking ?

Answers will be VERY welcome !

bernd

> My question is, if my thoughts of this configuration will be OK or
if i am
> wrong in my thinking ?

By creating additional Trees, it will increase your NDS Administration

time but I understand the reasoning. Your plan looks good !

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp

0
Edison
1/6/2004 1:44:44 PM
Like Edison I think it sounds OK. You could look at DirXML to sync the

two if you like.

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support-forums.novell.com)
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
  Using VA 4.52 build 277 (32-bit) on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
AndersG
1/6/2004 2:38:37 PM
Thank you for your answers. Meanwhile I did a little bit of testing:
1 nw65 server with IP and IPX, 1 nw65 server with ip only, 1
Workstation
with ip only. No problem with the 2 nw6.5 servers, but i can�t contact
the
nw4.11 server with my ip only workstation.
Maybe my idea wasn�t as good ?

Greetings

0
bernd
1/6/2004 3:20:26 PM
,
> but i can�t contact the
> nw4.11 server with my ip only workstation.
> Maybe my idea wasn�t as good ?

No, you cannot. You need to use IPX or tunnel IPX over IP using SCMD.

The latter is actually pretty straightforward to set up.

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support-forums.novell.com)
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
  Using VA 4.52 build 277 (32-bit) on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
AndersG
1/6/2004 4:08:12 PM
> No, you cannot. You need to use IPX or tunnel IPX over IP using
SCMD.
> The latter is actually pretty straightforward to set up.

Thanks Anders, then i had a mistake in my thoughts. I thought that
when
i have 1 nw6.5 server with ip and ipx - this server will establish
communication with the ipx only server even for the ip only clients.
Do I also have to tunnel ipx to establish server-server communication
(nw4
server ipx only - nw6.5 server at remote sites (IP), when i have 1
nw6.5
server with both protocols?
And if so, do i have to configure scmd also at the clients?

bernd
1/7/2004 7:46:56 AM
,
> Thanks Anders, then i had a mistake in my thoughts. I thought that
when
> i have 1 nw6.5 server with ip and ipx - this server will establish
> communication with the ipx only server even for the ip only clients.

Yes and no. Depends on what you want to do. There are several TIDS
that
describe this.'

> Do I also have to tunnel ipx to establish server-server
communication (nw4
> server ipx only - nw6.5 server at remote sites (IP), when i have 1
nw6.5
> server with both protocols?

If a NW 6.5 server has to talk to a 4.x server over IP, then you need
to load
and configure SCMD on both ends, yes.

> And if so, do i have to configure scmd also at the clients?

Only if the clients need to talk to the 4.x server over IP.

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support-forums.novell.com)
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
  Using VA 4.52 build 277 (32-bit) on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
AndersG

Netware 4.1 with Netware SAA 4.0 upgrade to Netware 5.1
Dear sirs, I would like to know what is the correct procedure to upgrade a Netware 4.1 with Netware for SAA 4.0 server to Netware 5.1. This is the last server we have to upgrade, all the other are already on netware 5.1. Can I just proceed with a inplace upgrade? If so, Do I have to change anything in Netware for SAA? What kind of service pack should I use on Netware 5.1? After upgrade do I need saa40020.exe for netware 5.1? Just a few questions to make sure I'am on the right track. Thanks in advance Ger van de Kolk I did a 4.1o to 5.0 with SAA4.0 a coup...

Migration from Netware 4.11 to Netware 6.5
I noticed that you must use the Novell Migration Wizard 6.5 to do a migration from Netware 4.11 to Netware 6.5. Are there any issues running this older version of the Migration Wizard to do the migration? Thanks! John, > Are there any issues running this older version of the Migration Wizard to > do the migration? > Not really, just use TRUSTEE.NLM to backup the trustees beforehand. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20) Novell does not monitor these forums officially. Enhancement requests for...

Netware client 4.6 4.7 and 4.8 with Netware 6.5?
Can I run 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 of the Netware Client without issues with Netware 6.5? As I'll be doing an upgrade and don't want to go around the workstations twice to configure them. Thanks > Can I run 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 of the Netware Client without issues with Netware > 6.5? You can run them but not sure without issues since some of those clients were not tested against NetWare6.5 -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) John, They *should* run okay, but there will have been no testing done with 4.6 or 4.7, and ...

Netware 4.11 coexist with Netware 6.5 server?
Can a Netware 4.11 server co-exist with a Netware 6.5 server, as there are two Netware 4.11 servers and each server will get migrated over to new hardware over two weekends. thanks Hi, John wrote: > > Can a Netware 4.11 server co-exist with a Netware 6.5 server, as there are > two Netware 4.11 servers and each server will get migrated over to new > hardware over two weekends. Yes, but they must be at DS621. And run the deployment wizard ones. CU, -- Massimo Rosen Novell Support Connection Sysop No emails please! http://www.cfc-it.de Yes it can - I...

Netware 4.1 to Netware 6.5 how?????
Hello I need help on how to upgrade Netware 4.1 to Netware 6.5 I installed Netware 4.1 on a single network server with 5 workstations back in 1995. Since then I have only had to upgrade some patches to correct for y2k. The server has been running great, but now the servers hardware is giving troulbe. Thank You Tom How many users? With <30 or so, I would just do a new install. You need a fairly differently configured box to do 6.5 -- Dave Lunn NSC SysOp http://support-forums.novell.com You can also try checking out the "Netware Migration Wizard" at ...

Netware 6 and Netware 5
Have to upgrade a 3.12 server. Already have a 5.0 server. Is there any problem installing a NW 6 server into a network that consists of a NW 5 Server with master nds on NW 5? We cannot upgrade the NW 5 server just yet. Thanks Tim Patch the nw5 server to the latest support pack and ds version and use the deployment manager to prepare your tree and you should be fine I'd say. Cheers, Edward "Tim Well" <timwell2000@nycity.com.com> wrote in message news:R40He.13942$Y_1.4568@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com... > Have to upgrade a 3.12 server. Already hav...

Hi, Does anyone know of any preresequites or concerns of adding new NetWare 6.5 servers into a tree which only contains two NetWare 6.0 servers? The NetWare 6.5 servers will be clustered. Thank you! Mark, > Hi, Does anyone know of any preresequites or concerns of adding new > NetWare 6.5 servers into a tree which only contains two NetWare 6.0 > servers? The NetWare 6.5 servers will be clustered. Run the NWDeploy.exe from the OS CD, run the Extend schema and prepare network options. On Feb 1, 6:09 pm, Hamish <ham...@haitch.net> wrote: > Mark, > &...

Installing Netware 6.5 Servers into a existing Netware 5 environment
We currently have a Netware 5 environment using sp4/sp5 We also have the original cluster services 1.01 running under netware 5. We intend to install a new SAN which will be clustered using 2 new Netware 6.5 Servers. What is the best approach to installing Netware 6.5 in our current environment, should I install the new Netware 6.5 Servers into a new tree, but then how will they communicate with the exisiting Netware 5 Servers. Can I install the Netware 6.5 Server into the exisiting 5 environment and then in the future upgrade the current 5 Servers. Thankyou and best regards ...

installing netware 6.5 servers into a exisiting netware 5 tree.
Currently have Netware 5.0 Servers sp4 and some sp5 We intend to install two new cluster servers running the latest version so would like to install two 6.5 Netware Servers which includes a 2 node cluster. Is it possible to install netware 6.5 into my existing Netware 5.0 network. Also we currently are running a 2 node cluster on netware 5 running the first ver of cluster servers 1.0. We found that this version wouldnt support our subnet mask of 255.255.240.0 but only the default one 255.255.255.0. Can the new version of cluster services support 255.255.240.0 Regards. &g...

Install Netware 6.5 in current Netware 6 for DirXML use?
I would like to install Netware 6.5 in our current NW6.0 environemnt for using the Dirxml starter pack. Any issues such as I have only SP2 on all servers can not go to SP3 at the moment. I know DirxML will require a replica of DirxMl accounts needed so can the two versions of Directory servcies co-exists alright? I would lik eto know if I can simply insert the new NW6.5 into our current tree with out changes to the current NW6 + SP2 environment? Thanks Bradley Bowness, Although SP is recommended, there shouldn't be any compatibility problems. Just be sure to r...

Installing first Netware 6.5 server into an all Netware 6 Tree
Is there a problem if I install a Netware 6.5 server as a Read/Write replice into an all Netware 6 tree. Will there be any problems installing since it won't be a master. Is there a edirectory version? any documents on this? > Is there a problem if I install a Netware 6.5 server as a Read/Write > replice into an all Netware 6 tree. > > Will there be any problems installing since it won't be a master. Is > there a edirectory version? any documents on this? Read/write replica of the root partition, or read/write of some other partition? ...

Web resources about - NetWare 4.11, NetWare for SAA, NetWare 6.5 - novell.netware.6x.install

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ