Netware 4.1 to Netware 6.5 how?????

Hello
I need help on how to upgrade Netware 4.1 to Netware 6.5

I installed Netware 4.1 on a single network server with 5 workstations back
in 1995.  Since then I have only had to upgrade some patches to correct for
y2k.  The server has been running great, but now the servers hardware is
giving troulbe.

Thank You
Tom
0
tpcan

How many users?

With <30 or so, I would just do a new install.  You need a fairly
differently configured box to do 6.5
--
Dave Lunn
NSC SysOp

0
Dave
5/1/2004 11:50:09 AM
You can also try checking out the "Netware Migration Wizard" at
http://download.novell.com.

It's nice for moving to new hardware.

Dave Lunn wrote:

> How many users?
>
> With <30 or so, I would just do a new install.  You need a fairly
> differently configured box to do 6.5
> --
> Dave Lunn
> NSC SysOp
> http://support-forums.novell.com

--
Craig Wilson
CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA

Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
(I Peter 4:10)

0
Craig
5/1/2004 2:41:53 PM
you can't go directly from 4.11 to nw 6.5 so just doing a new install
would probably be easiest.

if you have a significant number of user accounts now or stuff in DS
you _need_ to keep that would be cumbersome/difficult/impossible to
re-enter then we can take this further.

--
Cheers!
    Richard Beels

0
Richard
5/1/2004 3:59:51 PM
Actually, it is even more cumbersome here -- 4.10, not 4.11 -- with 4.11
SP9 and DS 6.21, the deal would be an interim 5.1 move.  But I don't think
you can do that with 4.10.

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

Tom

> you can't go directly from 4.11 to nw 6.5 so just doing a new install
> would probably be easiest.
>
> if you have a significant number of user accounts now or stuff in DS
> you _need_ to keep that would be cumbersome/difficult/impossible to
> re-enter then we can take this further.
>

> --
> Cheers!
>     Richard Beels
>     http://www.dsi-consulting.com
>     Collaboration without complication

0
tpcan
5/2/2004 12:18:27 AM
Is your existing client IPX only (I suspect it is), if so, I suspect there
are some configuration steps you need to finish off to get IPX properly set
up on the new server so your client workstation can see the server.

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

--
Cheers!
    Richard Beels
    http://www.dsi-consulting.com
    Collaboration without complication

0
Richard
5/2/2004 6:28:26 AM
are you loading IPX or IP only.  If IP only, it's 99% of the time a
lack of SLP configuration.

Can you ping the server from the client?  If so, put the server's IP
address in the tree field of the login dialog.  That should get you
running enough to give you time to read on how to configure SLP.

Or, you could load IPX.

--
Cheers!
    Richard Beels
    http://www.dsi-consulting.com
    Collaboration without complication

0
Richard
5/2/2004 6:28:26 AM
> ohh, ugh.  I just kind of mentally added an extra "1" at the end of
> that...

Right, the *theory* is that you can use the Server Consolidation Utility
with 6.5 going on new hardware to do this. -- I just don't know if it
works.

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

 Opinions expressed above are not
 necessarily those of Novell Inc.

0
Andrew
5/3/2004 11:36:10 PM
an i meant to add - you can also try to ping the workstation from the
server.

LOAD PING <ip address of workstation>.

If you cannot ping another device, see if you can ping the default
gateway.  Then, try to ping each device that is in the communcation
line between the server & workstation.