Users refused SSH connection of home directory server.

I have an odd situation when using SSH connections for secure FTP file
access on my NW6.5 servers.

I've got two main data servers. Both are identical in setup: NW6.5SP8/eDir
8.8SP5 VM's running on identical Dell PE1950's attached to a Hitachi SAN
array.
One server hosts the users' home folders, the other holds data shared across
the enterprise.
I have a third data server at a remote campus.

With the server that hosts the user's home folders, I've several accounts
that are not able to connect. The server logs indicate a failed password.
That same user, however, can log in successfully to either the server that
holds shared data or the server at the remote site.
Due to the nature of how Novell implements SSH, once they've logged in,
they're attached to their home folder on the server that will not allow them
direct connection.

Since this issue does not affect all users, I don't understand where the
issue lies.

The sshd_config file on both servers are identical.
Not sure if it's applicable to this issue, but SDIDIAG reports no problems
on either server.

The entries from the respective log files:

Home directory server:
30 Mar - 19:02:36[0080892840] (4983b0e0)SSHD Session 1 <118429> : Failed
password for xxxxx from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 1525 ssh2
30 Mar - 19:02:36[0080892840] (4983b0e0)SSHD Session 1 <118429> fatal: Read
from socket failed: Error 0

Shared data server:
30 Mar - 19:03:19[0080892523] (40e601c0)SSHD Shell 109 <109376> :
xxxxx@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1526 - SFTP connection(109376) accepted.
30 Mar - 19:03:19[0080892522] (40d074e0)SSHD Session 1 <109376> : subsystem
request for sftp
30 Mar - 19:03:18[0080892522] (40d074e0)SSHD Session 1 <109376> : Accepted
password for xxxxx from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 1526 ssh2

In the past I've collected iMonitor traces, but could find anything concrete
that points to a system issue.
That said, I can't remember what all I set up in the trace configuration
beyond NMAS and LDAP, so I may have been looking for the wrong thing.

Any ideas of where to look for problems are welcome.

0
Grant

Grant,

correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0
Automatic

could not connect to server (server name); the connection was refused
I'm using a hotmail account and TB returns this error "could not connect to server (server name); the connection was refused" ware (server name) is 127.0.0.1 if some one could help with this problem it would be greatly appreciated drewmalone@hotmail.com wrote: > I'm using a hotmail account and TB returns this error "could not > connect to server (server name); the connection was refused" ware > (server name) is 127.0.0.1 if some one could help with this problem > it would be greatly appreciated > 1st check whether POP/SMTP servers a...

Connecting to the Netware Server using ssh
Hi all, I am connecting to Netware Server using ssh 1.24 version. Here is th sample code for the same. use Net::SSH::Perl; use Net::SSH::Perl::Cipher; my $ssh = Net::SSH::Perl->new("xx.xx.xx.xx", cipher => "DES", interactive => "true", debug => 1); $ssh->login("username", "passwd"); # $ssh->login; my ($out, $in)=$ssh->open2("m xxx.nlm"); ( Previously i tried cmd but my consle screen hangs and does not go forward) close $in; while (<$out>) { # Proces...

Server Rename User Home Directories
I renamed a NetWare 6.5 sp3 server. Everything seemed to go ok except now the user home dir attribute in NDS is gone. Is there an easy way to get this back or is it divide and conquer time. Thanks, Brian -- Brian T. Payne BS, CNA 5, Net+ Mount Vernon Nazarene University Mount Vernon, OH 43050 email: bpayne@mvnu.edu Brian Payne wrote: > I renamed a NetWare 6.5 sp3 server. Everything seemed to go ok except now > the user home dir attribute in NDS is gone. Is there an easy way to get > this back or is it divide and conquer time. http://www.novell.com/co...

connect a database in remote server (can connect to the server via SSH)
Hi, All: I am a new to perl. My perl code need to connect to the database in the remote server, and I can login that server via SSH. Can anyone give me a hint about how can I do that? Many thanks. On 7/17/07, zhangxiaoyu912@gmail.com <zhangxiaoyu912@gmail.com> wrote: > I am a new to perl. My perl code need to connect to the database in > the remote server, and I can login that server via SSH. Can anyone > give me a hint about how can I do that? Many thanks. Have you seen what's on CPAN? http://search.cpan.org/search?query=ssh&mode=all Good luck w...

ssh in 11.4 server Refusing connections
Can anyone test this I have a box/server that is set to allow ssh It's been running since March 2011. No problem Suddenly it's refusing connections ssh port is open sshd is running -- Box: 11.4 | KDE 4.7.2 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | Gnome 3 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 | 3GB RAM Lap#2: 11.4 | KDE 4.7.2 | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 | 'Carl's_Multimedia_Oneclick' (http://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/caf4926/my-multimedia-oneclick-30/) 'My_Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/6cabu2j) ---------...

Move user home directory to new server
I want to move multiple users home direcotry to new server, the only change is server and volume, there is no change on path. How can I do this? I tried NWadmin to modify multiple users, after I put in new volume and apply the change, the path have been overwirte, and become blank. I tried to put variable %username or %login_name, they won't pick it up. , > How can I do this? > You could use UIMPORT for this, or easier SETHOME from the JRB utilities. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support-forums.novell.com) Pedag...

move user home directory to secondary server
I have to move user home directories to a secondary server. What's the best way to establish the new home directory reference in console one. I can go to the screen containing the home directory reference and manually enter the new location. Is there an automated way to do this??? i have already taken care of rights on the secondary server. Any Ideas??? asalazar@ci.chico.ca.us wrote: > I have to move user home directories to a secondary server. What's > the best way to establish the new home directory reference in console > one. I can go to the screen contain...

NIS setup with user home directory on one server
Hi all, I am new to OpenSuse. I am attempting to setup the following: 1.User login/authentication via a single NIS server. 2. User home directory should also be on the Same NIS server. 3. If possible to setup a single shared home directory for all users. OpenSuse version 11.2 There are twelve workstations from which users will login using the NIS authentication. I have succeeded in setting up NI server. However login fails as the home directory is not accessible. Any help / suggestions would be welcome. Tushar -- tvyoda ----------------------------------...

Server has corrupt Directory. Admin users are showing as Unknown...
I have seven servers in my tree. One of the servers (not the master) is giving Internal error 0xffffffda5 when someone local to the server tries to log on. we are getting a repeated "NLDAP: could not resolve (servername.ouname) in readconfigfromDS err = -603" on the server. I have tried DSrepair on the server to no avail. Advanced DSREPAIR functions, that require admin logon, are not available, since every admin equliv CN shows as unknown when using dsbrowse at the local server. How do I fix this problem? Is there a way to remove the local replica of the tree ...

Home directory not having same contents after adding user for different server
Hi, I add users using the command for all the server I use eg for server 66 which has opensuse 12.1 Code: -------------------- powerme@msvlsi66:~> su - Password: msvlsi66:~ # useradd -g users -d /export/home/patil66 -m patil66 msvlsi66:~ # passwd patil66 Changing password for patil66. New Password: Bad password: it is based on a dictionary word Reenter New Password: Password changed. msvlsi66:~ # -------------------- Similarly for server 62 which has opensuse 10.3 Code: -------------------- msvlsi62 home/liuc> su - P...

forbid certain user to connect to my server via ssh
hi, where can i forbid certain user to connect to my system (suse 8.2) via ssh?? and another question: is there a command to show all connected users via ftp (I use ProFTPD)?? thanks for you help little boy In article <c0dm9j$gi2$1@news.grc.com>, hansiator@gmx.net says... > hi, > where can i forbid certain user to connect to my system (suse 8.2) via ssh?? probably /etc/security/access.conf > > and another question: > > is there a command to show all connected users via ftp (I use ProFTPD)?? > > thanks for you help > > little...

Move User home directories to new volume on same server
Running NW65SP7. We would like to move our USER home directories from one NSS volume to another NSS volume on the same server. We have used the 3rd party NWCOPY utility in the past for large inter/intra server file copies and it seems to work good. Since NWCOPY allows us to pre-copy the data in smaller chunks at a convenient time and then do a smaller delta/synch copy when the final cutover is planned, we likely plan on using this utility in combination with some other utilities like HOMES to change the eDir home directory attributes and file rights. Just wanted to get some input from anyone else who has done large file copies between volumes as to what tools you found worked best. We were also considering using the Novell Server Consolidation tool. Things important to us are copy speed/reliability, open file/error logging and ease of use. Any other suggestions other than NWCOPY? Thx On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:46:43 +0000, Scuba Steve wrote: > Running NW65SP7. > We would like to move our USER home directories from one NSS volume to > another NSS volume on the same server. [-snip-] > Any other suggestions other than NWCOPY? Thx Maybe overkill for doing *just* this limited thing, but Novell Storage Manager (http://www.novell.com/products/storagemanager/) is what we use here for managing the lifecycle of user home directories. This includes where they should be located. So to do what you're describing, we'd jus...

Create Directory in Users Home Directory
Hello I was wondering if there was an easy way of creating a directory and coping a file to it in each users home directory, using the login script? Could I just run a batch file like this: @echo off dir F:\homedir\test\test.file 1>2> nul if errorlevel=1 goto test goto end :test mkdir f:\homedir\test xcopy f:\test\test.file f:\homedir\test goto end :end Or is there an easier way? Thanks Jtk, > Or is there an easier way? > ZEN for Desktops... But you can do it with a batch file. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support-forums.novell.com) Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20) Using VA 4.52 build 277 (32-bit) on Windows 2000 build 2195 Don't bother with the check, just create the directory, if it's already there, so what <g>. Whether you copy the file over irrespective depends on what it is for. You'd do better to simply call a proper batch file from the login script though, better control of what is going on then Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ > xcopy f:\test\test.file f:\homedir\test /e/s Is all you really need. -- Dave Lunn NSC SysOp http://support-forums.novell.com ...

unable to connect server using ssh from outside of home netw
hi, I am using ssh to connect my suse linux enterprise server.I am able to connect if i am in the home networ but if i try to connect from outside home network i am getting the following errors. Network:connection timeout Network:connection refused. I already forwarded port 22 in my router.I have been trying to resolve this issue from past 2 day,but no success.Can any one please help how to resolve this issue. /etc/ssh # ps -ef | grep sshd root 4009 1 0 16:45 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd -o PidFile=/var/run/sshd.init.pid Here is my sshd_config and ssh_co...

Active Directory user home directory
Hi all. I have a question, how to sync home directorires of users from Identity Vault to Active Directory? Into AD there are 2 LDAP attributes calleds homeDrive (the network drive letter) and homeDirectory that is the network path used to map during user login. My doubt is about the eDirectory volume information. The volume will be not sync to the AD because AD does not recognize this information, right? So, how to sync? I was thinking about create 2 eDirectory attributes where I can write theese informations. What do you think about this? Anyone can help me? Best regards...

new thread unable to connect sql server 2005 giving user is not associated with trusted sql server connection
Hi everyone,I am a bit new to .NET and IIS 5.0-6.0. We are developing Web Application, developers having loacal IIS 5.1 and SQL server 2005 on same machine, web.config have connection string with <connectionString="Data Source=D103A;Initial Catalog=enRouteV3.SLM;Integrated Security=True"> and on IIS, the virtual directory has "Directory Security" setting as "Intergrated Windows Authetication". It was working OK. When DB server and IIS moved to two different machine, not in common domain, infect both are independent...

Creating a user directory other than home directory
Hey there, I have a two-fold problem. I have JRB utilities but I can not see how to make this work. We created a directory in the users home directory. We want to move all these directories out into another main directory and have the same file rights. Plus, when we add new users, we want this directory to be created automatically. Each teacher has a directory called GQWIN in their home directory. This is their gradebook. We want to move all of the teachers gradebooks into one central "Gradebook" directory, then their username, then the GQWIN directory. Curren...

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server. Only an integrated connection can generate a user instance. The connection will be closed.
When i run my website from my pc address (http://192.168.2.100:8080/quiz/login.aspx)  i get  Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server. Only an integrated connection can generate a user instance. The connection will be closed. Any help for solve this problem? Thank you Mario Lopes http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?postid=98346&siteid=1&PageID=2http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=125227&SiteID=1http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2006/03/23/558651.aspxhttp://forums.asp.net/t/1077818.aspxdreamlusion~~~~~~~...

Urgent! How to connect to Netware 3.76 print server from XP Home?
Hi, I am new to Novell. Now, I have a pc with XP Home SP2. I want to know what version of Novell Client has to be installed in order to connect to Netware 3.76 print Server? I want to map drive in XP Home. What setup I have to do? I know XP Home doesn't have Client Service for Netware, does it matter? Please help! Raymond gtrlovrmusic@hotmail.com wrote: > I am new to Novell. Now, I have a pc with XP Home SP2. I want to know > what version of Novell Client has to be installed in order to connect to > Netware 3.76 print Server? I want to map dr...

SCU NT to NetWare MIgration
I'm trying to migrate 25 GB of shared data from a NT 4.0 server to NetWare 6.5 server, but do not want to migrate user's home directories that are specified on the Profile tab in the MMC Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in. The home directories are already located on the NetWare server to which I am migrating the shared data. The NetWare server has CIFS running so that non-Novell Client users can map drive letters to their home directories. Does anyone know of a way to tell the Server Consolidation Utility to skip home directories or a way to trick SCU into not s...

User's home directory saved in Samba server not locally
Hi guys, Continuing with my assigned task of migrating the company's PCs to GNU/Linux ('openSUSE as server for GNU/Linux clients' (http://tinyurl.com/5sqzjl7)) I managed to set up a DC with roaming profiles for the few remaining Windows users, user validation and login for the openSUSE boxes and a few network shares with different rights. I know there are no roaming profiles for GNU/Linux and I can live with that but I would like to specify wich users/groups would have their home directories saved locally (notebook users) and which will save them on the Samba server...

Problem with Web Site Admin Tool: Unable to connect to SQL Server database
 I'm getting the following error when I run the Web Site Admin tool against a SQL Server 2000 server (not the express server) with all the provider tables installed in the Northwind database.   The error occurs after I bring up the Tool, click Security, then click on either Create/Manage Roles or Create/Manage Rules. Unable to connect to SQL Server database. at System.Web.Administration.WebAdminPage.CallWebAdminHelperMethod(Boolean isMembership, String methodName, Object[] parameters, Type[] paramTypes) at ASP.security_roles_manageallroles_aspx.BindGrid() at ASP.security_roles_manageallroles_aspx.Page_Load() at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.ArglessFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o) at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) I've tried this using both Windows Impersonation (I'm dbo in this database) and using an explicit login using a SQL Server account I had created for id="ASPNET", with permissions granted to ASPNET.  IOW, I've tried both these connection string settings: <connectionStrings>    <add name="MySecuritySettings" connectionString="User ID=ASPNET;Password=ASPNET123;Initial Catalog=Northwind;Data Source=spri11u11002"/>Source=...

Lost user login and user home directories
I have lost the ability to login into my OS 11.1 system with any of my defined user logins. The system returns: "Cannot enter home directory. Using /" If I 'OK' this, the next message (in a sort of DOS box) is: "kstartupconfig4 does not exist or fails; the error code is 3. Check your installation" If I OK this then I am represented with the original user logon panel. This sequence is the same for all the users defined on the system I can login as root. When I do so I notice that there are no user directories under /home Is this recoverable?...

Web resources about - Users refused SSH connection of home directory server. - novell.netware.6x.admin-tools

Controversial Australian Cup protest could be costly for Awesome Rock's connections
Nothing arouses punters' feelings more than a controversial protest. Racing people still discuss with great vigour the Nausori-Big Philou Caulfield ...

2 men charged in connection of Girl Scout money theft
The suspects have been charged with robbery, safecracking and theft.

7 Minnesota Connections To The NCAA Tournament
The Gophers aren't a part of March Madness, but there are enough Minnesota connections to the Big Dance to keep local fans engaged in the action ...

84 indicted in connection with NYC, New England drug-gun ring
Bronx DA says four gangs formed "an alliance of evil" to peddle cocaine and heroin in New Hampshire and Massachusetts

Young people prefer an Internet connection to daylight
Technically Incorrect: A UK survey suggests that daylight isn't all that at least in young people's enlightened minds. Neither is hot water. ...

26-year-old man arrested in connection with Iditarod crashes
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A man suspected of intentionally driving a snowmobile into teams of two mushers near the front of the Iditarod Trail ...

Other Sports: For first time, NFL acknowledges connection between football-related brain trauma, CTE ...
In what could be a watershed moment in the debate about the long-term effects of head injuries in the nation's most popular sport, the NFL's ...