User move with home directories

Hello:
We are going to do a "massive" user move. Users will be moved from one server to the other. Their home directories will need to be moved as well. How can I do a massuser move with homedirectories. When the home direcotories are moved, and users are in a diffrent containter, the File rights and trustees of the home directories must be changed as well.
Does anyone know a tool that could help us? Thank you.

Jakub

Jakub Gorecki,
> Does anyone know a tool that could help us? Thank you.

The JRB Utilities.

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
Anders
8/16/2006 5:19:27 PM
Hey Jakup,

I've seen this tool used before and it's pretty sweet.
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/14026.html
0
Troy
8/16/2006 5:54:52 PM
You can use our DSRAZOR for eDirectory/NDS and NetWare product to change
home directories for multiple users.  If you have already moved the actual
files, you can use one of these applets in the NDS User Maintenance section
of the DSRAZOR Console to change the home directory attribute to the new
volume and to set file system rights:
"Change Home Directory Path/not Volume"
"Change Home Directory Volume/not path"
"Change selected Attributes for Users-Mass"
If you would like DSRAZOR to move the actual directories and files too (in
additional to changing the home directory attribute and file system rights),
please contact our tech support for a custom applet.  The applet needs to be
customized to specify the new home directory path in the applet itself so
the applet can move the actual directories and files.  A 7-day evaluation is
available from:
http://www.visualclick.com/?source=081606movehomedir

"Jakub Gorecki" <JGorecki@Eastchester.k12.ny.us> wrote in message
> Hello:
> We are going to do a "massive" user move. Users will be moved from one
> server to the other. Their home directories will need to be moved as well.
> How can I do a massuser move with homedirectories. When the home
> direcotories are moved, and users are in a diffrent containter, the File
> rights and trustees of the home directories must be changed as well.
> Does anyone know a tool that could help us? Thank you.

Christine
8/16/2006 9:22:28 PM
P.S.  I wasn't sure from your description if you are just moving their home
directories from one server to another, or if your massive user move also
includes moving them to another container.  DSRAZOR can move the user
objects from one container to another, if needed.  Please contact our tech
support for a custom applet if you need that ability because we need to
specify the destination container in the applet.

"Christine Malik" <cmalik@visualclick.com> wrote in message
> You can use our DSRAZOR for eDirectory/NDS and NetWare product to change
> home directories for multiple users.  If you have already moved the actual
> files, you can use one of these applets in the NDS User Maintenance
> section of the DSRAZOR Console to change the home directory attribute to
> the new volume and to set file system rights:
> "Change Home Directory Path/not Volume"
> "Change Home Directory Volume/not path"
> "Change selected Attributes for Users-Mass"
> If you would like DSRAZOR to move the actual directories and files too (in
> additional to changing the home directory attribute and file system
> rights), please contact our tech support for a custom applet.  The applet
> needs to be customized to specify the new home directory path in the
> applet itself so the applet can move the actual directories and files.  A
> 7-day evaluation is available from:
> http://www.visualclick.com/?source=081606movehomedir
>

> "Jakub Gorecki" <JGorecki@Eastchester.k12.ny.us> wrote in message
>> Hello:
>> We are going to do a "massive" user move. Users will be moved from one
>> server to the other. Their home directories will need to be moved as
>> well. How can I do a massuser move with homedirectories. When the home
>> direcotories are moved, and users are in a diffrent containter, the File
>> rights and trustees of the home directories must be changed as well.
>> Does anyone know a tool that could help us? Thank you.

Christine
8/16/2006 9:28:57 PM
On 17/08/06 Jakub Gorecki wrote:
> Users will be moved from one server to the other.

User objects are not particular to any given server in a tree. If you
are just moving their home dirs, there no need to move the user object
anywhere in particular. Maybe you need to clarify exactly what you are
doing here.
--
  Andrew C Taubman
  Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp

  Opinions expressed above are not
  necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0
Andrew
8/16/2006 11:04:56 PM
"Anders Gustafsson" <dalton@nomail.to.me> wrote in message
> Jakub Gorecki,
> > Does anyone know a tool that could help us? Thank you.
> >
> The JRB Utilities.

Movehome is the tool for the job. It can copy the home directory contents
including all rights, ownership, volume and directory quotas. It also
updates the message server and "Home directory" attributes. Contact me
direct for an eval copy. No customisation needed <g>.

JRB

0
John
8/17/2006 6:24:46 AM
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:12:00 GMT, "Jakub Gorecki"
<JGorecki@Eastchester.k12.ny.us> wrote:

>We are going to do a "massive" user move. Users will be moved from one server to the other. Their home directories will need to be moved as well.

File System Factory (now known as Storage Manager
http://www.novell.com/products/storagemanager/)

You set up your policies as to who gets a home directory, and where you want it
located. Then you "backfill" the policies to the users. SM does the work of
making the reality match the policies.

 David Gersic                                            dgersic_@_niu.edu

 I'm tired of receiving rubbish in my mailbox, so the E-mail address is
 munged to foil the junkmail bots. Humans will figure it out on their own.
0
dgersic_

How to move user home directories
Hi I need to move the user home directories to another volume (without lost trustees, permission and other properties). What do I have to do? Just move it? thank for your help Marcelo (from Argentina) On 1/3/2006 marce@fcm.unc.edu.ar wrote: > Just move it? Check out http://jrbsoftware.com/06utils/sethome2.htm -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) marce@fcm.unc.edu.ar wrote: > I need to move the user home directories to another volume (without > lost trustees, permission and other properties). you can downloa...

Move user home directories at once utility?
--____OIEGHKQSPMLLONRJBJIR____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Folks, I plan to use the Server Consolidation utility to break up a large volume = into several smaller volumes. One new volume will be for hom directories = only. Once I get the files and rights moved, are there any utilities that = can en masse change everyones home drive path? Thanks,=20 Tom --____OIEGHKQSPMLLONRJBJIR____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____SONBFFMNMYPQQKVLNKPP____" --____SONBFFMNMYPQQKVLNKPP____ Content...

Move user home directory to new server
I want to move multiple users home direcotry to new server, the only change is server and volume, there is no change on path. How can I do this? I tried NWadmin to modify multiple users, after I put in new volume and apply the change, the path have been overwirte, and become blank. I tried to put variable %username or %login_name, they won't pick it up. , > How can I do this? > You could use UIMPORT for this, or easier SETHOME from the JRB utilities. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support-forums.novell.com) Pedag...

move user home directory to secondary server
I have to move user home directories to a secondary server. What's the best way to establish the new home directory reference in console one. I can go to the screen containing the home directory reference and manually enter the new location. Is there an automated way to do this??? i have already taken care of rights on the secondary server. Any Ideas??? asalazar@ci.chico.ca.us wrote: > I have to move user home directories to a secondary server. What's > the best way to establish the new home directory reference in console > one. I can go to the screen contain...

Move User home directories to new volume on same server
Running NW65SP7. We would like to move our USER home directories from one NSS volume to another NSS volume on the same server. We have used the 3rd party NWCOPY utility in the past for large inter/intra server file copies and it seems to work good. Since NWCOPY allows us to pre-copy the data in smaller chunks at a convenient time and then do a smaller delta/synch copy when the final cutover is planned, we likely plan on using this utility in combination with some other utilities like HOMES to change the eDir home directory attributes and file rights. Just wanted to get some i...

moving users home directorys while retaining trustee rights
I want to move all users home directorys out of the root a volume and into a folder called 'Users' as I am currently doing mass cleanouts and moving volumes onto seperate disks for better performance. Is there a Netware util to enable me to do this? nem1s1s@wildmail.com, > I want to move all users home directorys out of the root a volume and > into a folder called 'Users' as I am currently doing mass cleanouts > and moving volumes onto seperate disks for better performance. Is > there a Netware util to enable me to do this? Yes you can use...

Create Directory in Users Home Directory
Hello I was wondering if there was an easy way of creating a directory and coping a file to it in each users home directory, using the login script? Could I just run a batch file like this: @echo off dir F:\homedir\test\test.file 1>2> nul if errorlevel=1 goto test goto end :test mkdir f:\homedir\test xcopy f:\test\test.file f:\homedir\test goto end :end Or is there an easier way? Thanks Jtk, > Or is there an easier way? > ZEN for Desktops... But you can do it with a batch file. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop (...

Creating a user directory other than home directory
Hey there, I have a two-fold problem. I have JRB utilities but I can not see how to make this work. We created a directory in the users home directory. We want to move all these directories out into another main directory and have the same file rights. Plus, when we add new users, we want this directory to be created automatically. Each teacher has a directory called GQWIN in their home directory. This is their gradebook. We want to move all of the teachers gradebooks into one central "Gradebook" directory, then their username, then the GQWIN directory. Curren...

Can you move User's Home Directories by Hand?
I have a need to move about 200 user's home directories from a NW5.0 server to and NW6.5 server. I was going to do it this weekend. I was searching around on Deja.com and it seems a lot of people pay a bundle to get a utility to do it. Is there anything wrong with just copying the directories from one server to another and then editing the user objects through console1 and changing it to the new loc? Obviously it will take some time, but is there any actual reason or danger invovled in just doing it this way? Thanks for your help. Hopefully, I can get it done this wee...

Active Directory user home directory
Hi all. I have a question, how to sync home directorires of users from Identity Vault to Active Directory? Into AD there are 2 LDAP attributes calleds homeDrive (the network drive letter) and homeDirectory that is the network path used to map during user login. My doubt is about the eDirectory volume information. The volume will be not sync to the AD because AD does not recognize this information, right? So, how to sync? I was thinking about create 2 eDirectory attributes where I can write theese informations. What do you think about this? Anyone can help me? Best regards...

Moving user's home directories to NSS partition
Hi all! Can I move/change my user's home directories to a NSS partition? I need to setup the user home directory when create user account, using \\server\volume at the user home directory field, in iManager. Can I do this? Anybody here has some information about? Tks, Best regards... Alan Cota. On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 00:17:54 +0000, Alan Cota wrote: Sure any user residing in eDirectory can have their home directory residing on an NSS volume, no problem. Just treat it the same way as if the volume had resided on a NetWare server. -- ___________________________...

SCU NT to NetWare MIgration
I'm trying to migrate 25 GB of shared data from a NT 4.0 server to NetWare 6.5 server, but do not want to migrate user's home directories that are specified on the Profile tab in the MMC Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in. The home directories are already located on the NetWare server to which I am migrating the shared data. The NetWare server has CIFS running so that non-Novell Client users can map drive letters to their home directories. Does anyone know of a way to tell the Server Consolidation Utility to skip home directories or a way to trick SCU into not s...

prevent users by accident delete file and move directory to other location monitoring tools ?
thanks for help ! Pls see TID 10071144 Restrict Users From Moving or Deleting Directories -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp http://support.novell.com/forums (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Novell Inc. thx for reply !! I've granted use Di Ri on those top level directories, and also can I have other way to restricts sub-directories etc...... "Andrew C Taubman" <ataubmanILoveSpam@novell.AndSpamLovesMe.com> wrote in message news:HkQpe.3890$hY.3401@prv-...

Roaming user profile in users home directory
Hi, hope you can help out... When a user logs in to NetWare, the %home_directory is mapped to <volume>:USER\<username> on the NetWare server. Roaming profile is enabled via a NDS user package, to store the user profile in user home directory. User profile should be copied to the local workstation upon login and copied back to the server upon logout. There are space restrictions on the user�s home directories. We found that some user�s home directory is full, but they are not getting any error when they log out. Only that the user profile, e.g., USER.DAT or items...

Web resources about - User move with home directories - novell.netware.6x.admin-tools

Avicenna Directories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Between 2000-2007, the WHO published the directory electronically, along with updates received after the 2000 print publication. In August 2007, ...

To Complement Its Search Engine, Facebook Launches People, Pages, and Places Directories
Facebook is now closer than ever to becoming the phone book for the internet. The site recently launched a Directory of people , Pages , and ...

Directories
The source for IT industry news, views and analysis across the channel, business and technology

Princess Diana leaked royal directories to Murdoch tabloid, court hears
The former royal editor of Rupert Murdoch's now defunct British tabloid the News of the World told a court on Thursday that the late Princess ...

Telstra slashes 800 jobs from directories arm Sensis
TELSTRA is slashing 800 jobs from its struggling directories arm Sensis just one month after the telco giant sold a 70 per cent stake in the ...

Government To Stop Publishing Contact Information In Blue Pages Of Phone Directories
... has decided to stop publishing contact information for all of its departments and agencies in the blue pages section of telephone directories.A ...

File System Programming Guide: Accessing Files and Directories
Explains how to create and manage files and directories.

Fixing directories
Web directories are one of the key points of differentiation between plans on the Exchanges. A single company can offer half a dozen networks ...

Welcome to SBJ Local Directories
... newsletters, events, print subscription, digital subscription or other special offers. Welcome to Sacramento Business Journal's local directories. ...

Bradenton and Lakewood Ranch Guides - Directories and guides
The Bradenton Herald is your source for Bradenton and Lakewood Ranch directories and guides.