trying to retrieve data from old drive

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct forum or not, but hopefully someone
from
here can help.

I have a Novell 6.0 server up and running and all is well with the
server,
and all hard-drive bays are hot-swappable.  My problem is that I would

like to try and retrieve some information from an old mirrored drive
that
used to be installed in this server.  It contains some information
that I
haven't been able to recover from any tape backups and will save me a

considerable amount of time if I can access this drive again.

The server is currently setup with just a simple RAID 1 configuration
(two
hard drives mirrored).  The hard-drive I would like to be able to
recover
data off of used to be the mirror until I did a clean install of
Netware
6.  However, turns out there is some information on this old mirrored

drive that now I would like to try and recover.  The bad news is that
the
DOS partition is not on the old mirrored drive (meaning I can't just
pull
the current drives out and put in the old mirrored drive and have it
fire
up Novell for itself - it gives me an invalid partition when I try
that).

Since the drive I want to recover the data off of was a mirror of what
SYS
used to be it won't let me just put the drive in an open slot and pull
it
up along with the current Server drives.  So, anyone got some ideas?
would appreciate any ideas or advice anyone can offer.  Thanks.

0
dlindquist

If this "data" is on the Sys: volume it is more problematic.  If not,
fins a
PII-350 and 256 meg of RAM and reinstall NW 6 there to recover it.
That's
the simplest cheapest way out.
--
Dave Lunn
NSF SysOp

0
Dave
9/19/2003 11:58:56 AM
> If this "data" is on the Sys: volume it is more problematic.  If
not,
fins a
> PII-350 and 256 meg of RAM and reinstall NW 6 there to recover it.

That's
> the simplest cheapest way out.
> --
> Dave Lunn
> NSF SysOp
> http://support.novell.com

 Unfortunately it is the SYS: Volume.  How problematic is it?  Should
just assume it's lost forever?  Thanks for the help.

0
dlindquist
9/22/2003 2:15:06 PM
Put the drive in another box (as a 2nd drive, not bootable) then use
the tools available from www.ontrack.com to access the drive and its
data.

--
Dave Kearns