TCP Nagles and TCP Delayed Aknowledgement

I have been running some servers with:

tcp nagle algorithm=off
tcp delayed acknowledgement=off

I have only been running these params on netstorage and virtual office
servers. The upload/download speed is incredible with those parameters. Is
there any downside?

--
Jeff Johnson CNE6, MCNE, CDE, DCNSP
jedijeff {at} gmail (dot) com

0
Jeff

Jeff Johnson wrote:

> I have been running some servers with:
>
> tcp nagle algorithm=off
> tcp delayed acknowledgement=off
>
> I have only been running these params on netstorage and virtual office
> servers. The upload/download speed is incredible with those parameters. Is
> there any downside?

Very interesting! I have to do the exact opposite (both on) in addtion
to tcp minshall algorithm = on to get acceptable attachment-saving
performance on a GroupWise server!

--
Jim
NSC SYsop

--

"Jim Michael" <jkmichael@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Jeff Johnson wrote:
> >
> > I have been running some servers with:
> >
> > tcp nagle algorithm=off
> > tcp delayed acknowledgement=off
> >
> > I have only been running these params on netstorage and virtual office
> > servers. The upload/download speed is incredible with those parameters.
Is
> > there any downside?
>
> Very interesting! I have to do the exact opposite (both on) in addtion
> to tcp minshall algorithm = on to get acceptable attachment-saving
> performance on a GroupWise server!
>
> --
> Jim
> NSC SYsop

0
Jeff

I think the effectiveness of the tweaks may depend on your network architecture
and connectivity - are your users all on a LAN segment local to your server, or
disbursed across slow WAN links?

I did a google search and found this, which is pretty illuminating (look for
both the delayed ACK and nagle stuff):

http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/intermediate.html#nagle-desc

John

Novell Product Support Forums SysOp
#include disclaim.h:
# My opinions are not necessarily those of Novell
# or its employees or even the other forum sysops or regulars.
posted using Xananews 1.16.3.1
0
John
8/26/2004 3:00:36 PM
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:20:31 GMT, "Jeff Johnson" <checkmysig@me.com> wrote:

>I have been running some servers with:
>
>tcp nagle algorithm=off
>tcp delayed acknowledgement=off

If you're interested in such things, Joe Doupnik's proposed enhancements to
tcp/ip to deal with this problem are quite interesting:

http://bgp.potaroo.net/ietf/idref/draft-doupnik-nagle-mode/

And, when implimented, can really make things scream if they've been slowed down
by Nagle or delayed acks.

 David Gersic                                            dgersic_@_niu.edu

 I'm tired of receiving rubbish in my mailbox, so the E-mail address is
 munged to foil the junkmail bots. Humans will figure it out on their own.
0
dgersic_