portal.nlm won't load, so remote manager won't work...

Can't get any joy out of RM.  This is on a 6.5 server with SP2 installed
(though it says 5.7 SP1 at the end of boot...).  Non-default stuff
applied is MySQL and Veritas Backup Exec.

Looking at the diocs it says portal.nlm must be loaded, but this isn't
I reordered the autoexec.ncf as per TID 10082078

Same thing happens on http-8008 or https-8009.  Apache is working okay,
I can get the basic server web welcome page.

Any clues as to how I can get portal.nlm to load?

Thanks, Pete.
--
Peter Clinch                    Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637   Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital

0
Peter

Peter,

Try loading portal.nlm, then go to the logger screen and see what public
symbols its complaing about.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0
Hamish
6/3/2005 12:03:50 PM
Hamish wrote:

> Try loading portal.nlm, then go to the logger screen and see what public
> symbols its complaing about.

Hi Hamish, thanks for getting back on this...

message is that GetLogicalSpaceInfo is the problem

so, any suggestions for what next?  A quick search of the Novell support
site didn't turn up anything about it :-(

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch                    Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637   Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177              Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net p.j.clinch@dundee.ac.uk     http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

0
Peter
6/3/2005 12:37:38 PM
Peter,

GetLogicalSpaceInfo is from server.exe itself - verify that you have the
correct version of server.exe in c:\nwserver.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0
Hamish
6/5/2005 9:51:35 AM
Hamish wrote:

> GetLogicalSpaceInfo is from server.exe itself - verify that you have the
> correct version of server.exe in c:\nwserver.

Seems I have a server.exe that /isn't/ the SP2 version, though I did put
on SP2...

So, probably easiest to get everything updtaed by putting on SP3?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch                    Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637   Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177              Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net p.j.clinch@dundee.ac.uk     http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

0
Peter
6/6/2005 8:11:43 AM
Pete,

Do you have McAfee installed on the PC you extracted the SP on? The
current McAffee has a nasty habit of not allowing the extraction of the
server.exe during the SP extraction. You're probablt ok just putting on
the SP2 server.exe, but if you want to go to SP3, make sure the SP fully
extracts.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0
Hamish
6/6/2005 11:08:58 AM
Hamish wrote:

> Do you have McAfee installed on the PC you extracted the SP on?

Yes, I do...

> current McAffee has a nasty habit of not allowing the extraction of the
> server.exe during the SP extraction. You're probablt ok just putting on
> the SP2 server.exe, but if you want to go to SP3, make sure the SP fully
> extracts.

Right, I'll start with just the SP2 server.exe, though it'll be a couple
of days before I can get some "out of hours" time to not bugger up
everybody's work and/or my Actual Life ;-/

Thanks for the tip here Hamish.  I'll report back when I've had a chance
to do the necessary.

cheers, Pete.
--
Peter Clinch                    Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637   Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177              Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net p.j.clinch@dundee.ac.uk     http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

0
Peter
6/7/2005 10:01:02 AM
Pete,

> Thanks for the tip here Hamish.  I'll report back when I've had a chance
> to do the necessary.

No problem. Note thaqt if you are looking to go to SP3, there has been a
beta server.exe released that fixes a lot of memory issues - if you go
the SP3 route, apply the server.exe update as well.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0
Hamish
6/7/2005 12:04:29 PM
Peter Clinch wrote:

> Right, I'll start with just the SP2 server.exe, though it'll be a couple
> of days before I can get some "out of hours" time to not bugger up
> everybody's work and/or my Actual Life ;-/

> Thanks for the tip here Hamish.  I'll report back when I've had a chance
> to do the necessary.

Necessary done, and we now have the SP2 server.exe starting up, and
portal.nlm seems to be a Happy Bunny now, and presumably as a result I'm
into Remote Manager too.

Hurrah!

Many thanks for the tip, and 10 points for another successful resolution.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch                    Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637   Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177              Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net p.j.clinch@dundee.ac.uk     http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

0
Peter
6/13/2005 8:59:55 AM
Peter,

> Necessary done, and we now have the SP2 server.exe starting up, and
> portal.nlm seems to be a Happy Bunny now, and presumably as a result I'm
> into Remote Manager too.

Good to hear - and thanks for the update.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0
Hamish

Web resources about - portal.nlm won't load, so remote manager won't work... - novell.netware.6x.admin-tools