New Server for User Home

Currently, I have a NetWare 4.2/SP9 (traditional file system) server
called UServ1 that is used for users Home directories only. The volume
(200Gb) is 90% full.

I have just built a new NetWare 6.5/SP2 (NSS volume) server with brand new
server-class hardware named UserServ.

What is the safest and quickest way to move all of the data from the old
server to the new, while preserving all file system rights?

My hope is that if the rights are transfered from one box to the other,
the only modification I'll have to manually make once the copy is done is
to change LOGIN logic (drive mappings) to reflect the new server name.

I do not want to rename the new server to the old server name, as it
conforms to the companies new naming convention - unless I absolutely have
to.

NCopy? NetWare Copy under the 4.9/SP2 Client32 utilities? Migration tool?
Toolbox? Backup/Restore from tape?

Or is there something better or proven?

0
nw

Does your backup software support server-to-server copy? That would be
one way. Else, I would use something like TaskMaster
(http://www.avanti-tech.com) for the copying ...

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

All you need to do is:
  1. Create a storage management policy that points to the new server
  2. Issue a backfill request using the FSF user interface in NetWare Remote
Manager (NRM)

And all the storage will move, along with all attributes and name space
information. The policy will help you unify quota, rights, and flags as you
go.

But best of all any new users will automatically be provisioned storage in
the right place according to the policy, no matter how you create the user
objects.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have the least problem or question over
in the File System Factory forum.
-FSF Development

<nw@user.com> wrote in message
> Currently, I have a NetWare 4.2/SP9 (traditional file system) server
> called UServ1 that is used for users Home directories only. The volume
> (200Gb) is 90% full.
>
> I have just built a new NetWare 6.5/SP2 (NSS volume) server with brand new
> server-class hardware named UserServ.
>
> What is the safest and quickest way to move all of the data from the old
> server to the new, while preserving all file system rights?
>
> My hope is that if the rights are transfered from one box to the other,
> the only modification I'll have to manually make once the copy is done is
> to change LOGIN logic (drive mappings) to reflect the new server name.
>
> I do not want to rename the new server to the old server name, as it
> conforms to the companies new naming convention - unless I absolutely have
> to.
>
> NCopy? NetWare Copy under the 4.9/SP2 Client32 utilities? Migration tool?
> Toolbox? Backup/Restore from tape?
>
> Or is there something better or proven?

0
FSF
2/3/2005 2:25:12 AM
Should have mentioned in the previous post that FSF can even move user
storage in the middle of the day with no impact.

http://www.novell.com/products/filesystemfactory/

Download here:  http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=MuenBmZcd40~

-FSF Development

<nw@user.com> wrote in message
> Currently, I have a NetWare 4.2/SP9 (traditional file system) server
> called UServ1 that is used for users Home directories only. The volume
> (200Gb) is 90% full.
>
> I have just built a new NetWare 6.5/SP2 (NSS volume) server with brand new
> server-class hardware named UserServ.
>
> What is the safest and quickest way to move all of the data from the old
> server to the new, while preserving all file system rights?
>
> My hope is that if the rights are transfered from one box to the other,
> the only modification I'll have to manually make once the copy is done is
> to change LOGIN logic (drive mappings) to reflect the new server name.
>
> I do not want to rename the new server to the old server name, as it
> conforms to the companies new naming convention - unless I absolutely have
> to.
>
> NCopy? NetWare Copy under the 4.9/SP2 Client32 utilities? Migration tool?
> Toolbox? Backup/Restore from tape?
>
> Or is there something better or proven?

0
FSF
2/3/2005 2:39:42 AM
Because this is a one time move, management will not purchase any
additional products - especially since they initially preferred to move to
Microsoft platform in the first place. I know I'm asking a lot, but I've
at least managed to convince them to stay with NetWare.

The backup/restore method will not work in my current environment.

Of the products I listed in my original post, will any accomplish what I
need to do (including file rights, etc.)? And, if possible, I'd like to
use a tool that will not be permanently integrated into eDir or the server
itsself (I need something that can be removed, such as toolbox, if
requested to do so).

Please help, or Novell may be on its way out the door!

0
nw
2/3/2005 2:24:56 PM
We recently used the Server Consolidation Utility to move user data from
one tree (NW 5.1SP5) to another (NW6 SP4) and worked like a charm. It was
fast as hell and flawessly.

En Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:17:40 GMT, <nw@user.com> escribi�:

> Currently, I have a NetWare 4.2/SP9 (traditional file system) server
> called UServ1 that is used for users Home directories only. The volume
> (200Gb) is 90% full.
>
> I have just built a new NetWare 6.5/SP2 (NSS volume) server with brand
> new
> server-class hardware named UserServ.
>
> What is the safest and quickest way to move all of the data from the old
> server to the new, while preserving all file system rights?
>
> My hope is that if the rights are transfered from one box to the other,
> the only modification I'll have to manually make once the copy is done is
> to change LOGIN logic (drive mappings) to reflect the new server name.
>
> I do not want to rename the new server to the old server name, as it
> conforms to the companies new naming convention - unless I absolutely
> have
> to.
>
> NCopy? NetWare Copy under the 4.9/SP2 Client32 utilities? Migration tool?
> Toolbox? Backup/Restore from tape?
>
> Or is there something better or proven?

--
Usando  el revolucionario cliente de correo de Opera:
http://www.opera.com/m2/
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:17:40 GMT, nw@user.com wrote:

>What is the safest and quickest way to move all of the data from the old
>server to the new, while preserving all file system rights?

File System Factory.

>My hope is that if the rights are transfered from one box to the other,
>the only modification I'll have to manually make once the copy is done is
>to change LOGIN logic (drive mappings) to reflect the new server name.

Assuming you use "Home Directory" already, FSF will update it and your users
will never know you did anything.

We did this here, for about 70,000 users, with only a few minor problems. That
was several product versions ago, and the problems we ran in to have been
resolved.

 David Gersic                                            dgersic_@_niu.edu

 I'm tired of receiving rubbish in my mailbox, so the E-mail address is
 munged to foil the junkmail bots. Humans will figure it out on their own.
0
dgersic_

Move user home directory to new server
I want to move multiple users home direcotry to new server, the only change is server and volume, there is no change on path. How can I do this? I tried NWadmin to modify multiple users, after I put in new volume and apply the change, the path have been overwirte, and become blank. I tried to put variable %username or %login_name, they won't pick it up. , > How can I do this? > You could use UIMPORT for this, or easier SETHOME from the JRB utilities. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support-forums.novell.com) Pedag...

Web Admin Tool--Security--Create New Users
I try to make a new user entry and in the admin tool and it gives me the error that the password needs to be at least 7 letters and contain at least one non-alphanumeric #.  I've tried various passwords that conform to this and it still gives me this error.  I don't know what the problem is??  Does anyone else? A simple password that conforms to this would be: pass!word1 Is that not working?-Stefan----------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. That works, thanks....

Move User home directories to new volume on same server
Running NW65SP7. We would like to move our USER home directories from one NSS volume to another NSS volume on the same server. We have used the 3rd party NWCOPY utility in the past for large inter/intra server file copies and it seems to work good. Since NWCOPY allows us to pre-copy the data in smaller chunks at a convenient time and then do a smaller delta/synch copy when the final cutover is planned, we likely plan on using this utility in combination with some other utilities like HOMES to change the eDir home directory attributes and file rights. Just wanted to get some i...

unable to add new user with web admin tool
vs2008, .net 2.0I had this working and then decided i wanted to rename the aspnetdb file to something else. So i renamed the db file within the vs2008 gui. I then modified my web.config to include a new connection string:  <connectionStrings> <remove name="LocalSqlServer"/> <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="data source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|Ethos1.mdf;User Instance=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/> </connectionStrings> After doing this i get ...

Groupwise 5.2 admin with new Netware 6.5 server
We are installing a new netware 6.5 server (it is our primary server) and are still running GroupWise 5.2 on an old 4.11 server. Can I continue to use nwadmnnt.exe to admin both the new nds and groupwise or should I use ConsoleOne with a different GW snapin to manage? Thanks Jared Jared, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.nove...

new user can't create folders after adding netware 6.5 server
Sorry if this isn't the right group, it seemed the most appropraite to me, plaes redirect me if I'm wrong. I have a crazy problem, I recently added a netware 6.5 server to our environment, I ran the edirectory update / preparation tool etc. I added a new user the other day, and they can't create new folders in our shared volume. I made sure the user is part of all the neceasary groups to do so. I tryed adding other users to and the same thing happens. My license permits unlimited user etc, so I don't think that as issue. The error is "Unable to create folde...

New DNS servers need to change Netware servers.
I need to know where to chage the DNS server ip address's that was loaded at install time because our internet provider has changed DNS servers on us. The place for primar and Secondary DNS servers. > I need to know where to chage the DNS server ip address's that was loaded > at install time because our internet provider has changed DNS servers on > us. The place for primar and Secondary DNS servers. load INETCFG at the server console-->Protocols-->TCP/IP-->DNS Resolver configuration jvaz, > load INETCFG at the server console-->Protocols-->...

When Admin Creates New User, It SHows User Online? Why?
 When I create a new users as an administrator, It shows all of them as online even though I specify LoginCreatedUser="False". What Am I missing? Anyone? Thanks.  make sure that the authentication mode is set to "Forms" , <authentication mode="Forms"> How did you know that there are online ?  Regards,Anas Ghanem.Note:Please Don't hesitate to click "Report Abuse" link if you noticed something wrong on the forums (like duplicate ,Off-topic,offensive,or any post that violates the website "TERMS OF USE"). -- T...

Move USERS to NEW Groupwise System (new Tree/Server)
Hello, I'm currently running a GW6.0sp3 on NW4.11sp9 on a low end hardware. I have new hardware on which I have installed GW6.5sp2 on NW6.5SP2. Both servers have different tree,server,context names and Groupwise system name. How to move users? TID's have explained between move to different domains, po's, nds tree but not Groupwise System. Please help me. Thanks Kris You can't. Not without TREMENDOUS work. Don't do this unless you have a good reason. Just UPGRADE the copy of the gw system and graft into the new tree. -- Michael J. Bell Nov...

Error adding new user as admin user of hosted domain
Hope someone can help, I get this error whenever I try to login as an admin user of a hosted domain and try to create a new user. Error: Failed to get the registry value specified. Machine:'.', Rootkey:'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', Subkey:'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Provisioning\CustomerPlansDb', Item:'Customer Database'./Access is denied./GetRegValue Security on the registry key in the eror message on MPSSQL server shows MPFServiceAccounts having Read permissionas and MPFAdmins having Full Control. Thanks in Advance. Hi, On your MPS server, run Provisioning Manager and look in the Managed Helpers na...

New User Registration Module, but what about "User Manager" in admin?
If I decide to write my own user login/register module, I will still have the problem that the User Manager in the Administration area ("Admin" menu), will have no clue about these new extra fields that I want to add. Can I manage this in any other way that to change the core (which I would try to avoid). I guess Personalization won't save me here or will it? /Patrik Johansson Come to think of it, this was probably a very stupid question as the "User Accounts" in the Admin area most likely use the exact same module as the one used by ordinary users to create new acco...

Server Admin tool
Hi my server people have informed me that there is a tool that I can access the server with.  Can anybody point me in the right direction?   Many Thanks howlinhuskie Do you mean for administering SQL Server 2005?If yes, then they probably meant SQL Server Express Management Studio. It's a free tool and it can be downloaded here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/ HTHMy blogs: www.snowball.bewww.codeflakes.net Thanks for looking in on me.  I have this installed,  I am really just getting started with ASP.NET.  Can this tool access the ...

Migrating NDPS from NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 (New Server)
Good Afternoon - I am working on migrating NDPS currently running on a NetWare 5.1 (about to be decommissioned) server. I configured a new NetWare 6.5 server and need to move the Broker / Manager and Printers over to the new box. Can I simply load BROKER and MANAGER on the new server and then just copy the resource directory where all drivers reside? Any help would be greatly appreciated :-) Dariusz -- dariusz71 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I believe you need to have a broker and manager loaded on the new server an...

transfer users and data from 5.5 server to 6.0 server new tree
I have a GW 5.5.1 server running netware 5.0.6 (server 1) in tree A. I am trying to move my users, groups, resources and their mail and calendar data (past, present and future) to a GW 6.0.4 server running netware 5.1.7 (server 2) in tree B. I have tried connecting them as external domains, and they can communicate with one another (I can send email from one PO to another another and receive confirmation of delivery) but I cannot move user accounts or data from one to another and the address books don't synchronize. Server 1 GW5.5 only offers me the option of identifying Ser...

Web resources about - New Server for User Home - novell.netware.6x.admin-tools

CRTC Issues First-Ever Warrant To Take Down Toronto-Based Malware Server 4
TORONTO — The CRTC has issued its first warrant under the federal government's anti-spam legislation to take down a Toronto-based malware server ...

Attack floods Internet root servers with 5 million queries a second
Enlarge (credit: rootservers.org ) Early last week, one of the most vital organs of the Internet anatomy came under an unusual attack. On two ...

Server shipments, vendor revenue go up in Q3 2015
In the third quarter of 2015, worldwide server shipments grew 9.2 percent from the third quarter of 2014, while vendor revenue increased 7.5 ...

Facebook releases design for its souped-up A.I. server, 'Big Sur'
Facebook is releasing the hardware design for a server it uses to train artificial intelligence (A.I.) software, allowing other companies exploring ...

Former Intelligence Chief Calls ‘Top Secret’ Info on Hillary’s Server ‘Unreal’
Former Intelligence Chief Calls ‘Top Secret’ Info on Hillary’s Server ‘Unreal’

Facebook, Google server outsourcing strategy change expected to impact profitability for ODMs
Facebook is planning to add Wiwynn, a server subsidiary of Wistron, as a new datacenter server supplier, joining its primary supplier Quanta ...

Facebook Open Sources Its 'Big Sur' AI Servers
The company hopes to accelerate innovation around deep learning by contributing the GPU-based system designs to the OCP.

Sources: Review affirms Clinton server emails were 'top secret,' despite department challenge
Sources: Review affirms Clinton server emails were 'top secret,' despite department challenge

Update: NFL says server power issue, not tablet glitch, caused Microsoft Surface outage on Monday Night ...
... NFL says the problem wasn’t with the tablets themselves. An NFL spokesperson tells GeekWire the problem stemmed from “the power to the server ...