Host Name.Domain

I am setting up a new server to add to my network and I need help answering this question.

The new server is going to be off site, at a new location.  My main server here is UMCHS_SVR1.  This is going to be UMCHS_SVR3.

During set up (after I put in the IP info), I am being asked for DNS information which I assume will be the Primary and Secondary DNS info for the ISP that is providing Internet Access out at the site.

My question is, for host name I assume I'll put in UMCHS_SVR3.  Is that correct?

What do I put in the domain field?  My main server resolves to mail.mycompany.com, that's the main domain for the IP adddress on UMCHS_SVR1.  Do I enter that into the domain info field on this new server so that it will be recognized in my network/tree?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, just want to make sure I do it right.

Mike
0
Mike

Mike Snyder wrote:

> I am setting up a new server to add to my network and I need help
> answering this question.
>
> The new server is going to be off site, at a new location.  My main
> server here is UMCHS_SVR1.  This is going to be UMCHS_SVR3.
>
> During set up (after I put in the IP info), I am being asked for DNS
> information which I assume will be the Primary and Secondary DNS info
> for the ISP that is providing Internet Access out at the site.
>
> My question is, for host name I assume I'll put in UMCHS_SVR3.  Is
> that correct?
>
> What do I put in the domain field?  My main server resolves to
> mail.mycompany.com, that's the main domain for the IP adddress on
> UMCHS_SVR1.  Do I enter that into the domain info field on this new
> server so that it will be recognized in my network/tree?

You can really put anything there you want from a functional standpoint.
  Whatever name you register in DNS is what will resolve to the machine.
  But since you have your domain, you should enter it in the domain
field.  And your servername in the hostname field.

--

-andy
0