host name domain

When I have installed novell 6 , I had to insert the host name domain
with relative ip address.
This "host name domanin" is into resolv.cfg. Is it correct?
BUT what can "host name domain" be used for?

This name must correspond at the name of the zone that it must be created
to manage hosts?

Must be exist a relationship between "host name domanin" and the zones of
the DNS?

thanks
Regards,
Monica

0
is

is@chiavazza.com wrote:

> BUT what can "host name domain" be used for?

For example, whenever some server-based software asks for an IP address,
you can give it the name instead. And some time later if you need to
change the IP address, you do not have to manually change ALL the
application configuration files (you'll have to change some but not
necessary all) ...

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!
is@chiavazza.com wrote:

> Must be exist a relationship between "host name domanin" and the zones of
> the DNS?

No.

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!
> is@chiavazza.com wrote:
>
> > BUT what can "host name domain" be used for?
>
> For example, whenever some server-based software asks for an IP ddress,
> you can give it the name instead. And some time later if you need to
> change the IP address, you do not have to manually change ALL the
> application configuration files (you'll have to change some but not
> necessary all) ...
>
> --

Hi Peter,

thanks for your quick answer.

OK.
BUT the "host name domanin" is into resolv.cfg.
Is it correct?

thanks
Regards,
Monica
0
is
5/22/2006 8:28:28 AM
the resolv.cfg is used to point to your DNS servers where it can look up
(or reverse lookup) names vs ip addresses. The 'domain name' is appended
to the end of the host name (if it is not a full DNS name) during the
query. For example, if the domain name in resolv.cfg is test_domain.com
and the server asks for 'webserver', the actual query send to the DNS
servers (as listed in the resolv.cfg) is webserver.test_domain.com.

And if the DNS server queied doesn't know this name and it is in the DNS
zone of test_domain.com, it will reply with "I don't know this host"; but
if it is not of the test_domain.com zone, and is configured to contact an
upstream DNS server, it will then forward to the that DNS server and
hopefully onto a DNS server that /is/ in the test_domain.com zone ...

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

Host name Domain Name
When setting up a server I am asked for the Hostname.Domain name. If I want change the domain name at a later time to something else where can I do that? As always, thanks Coy Coy, > When setting up a server I am asked for the Hostname.Domain name. If I > want change the domain name at a later time to something else where can I > do that? The places that come to mind off hand are sys:etc\hosts , sys:etc\hostname , sys:etc\resolv.cfg , and in the DNS certificate. Of course, depending on the other applications installed there will be other locations - eg fo...

Host name and domain name
Hello, I've installed NSBS 6.0 but during the install I didn't know what to enter for Host Name, Domain Name and Name Server. For the Server Name I enrtered my ISP's DNS server IP. For the Host name I entered "pmc.srv" which is my Netware server name and for the domain name I entered "pmc.com". Now when I go to 192.168.0.1 I get the Welcome to Netware 6 page but if I click on "Open iFolder" to goes to http://pmc_srv.pmc.com:52080/index.html and "Cannot display page" comes up. iFolder works through the desktop client but I nee...

Netware 6.5 Installation
Hello, I am test driving Netware 6.5 and am in the middle of installation. I am at the screen where it asks what my Host Name and Domain name is. I don't have a DNS server and my name isn't registered so what should I put in those boxes? My servername is NW1 so I could put that in the Host Name. But, what about the Domain Name? Should I just enter Local? I am using a router which assigns IP addresses. Since I am still testing Netware, and don't have a DNS server, I could just use the HOSTS file on the workstation, correct? Thanks in advance for your help, John...

how to change the Host Name Domain Name
Due to a poor initial planning I would like to change the Server host Name/Domain Name so I can do a DNS resolve. How can I do that whitout having to reinstall the OS. Thanks SYS:ETC\RESOLV.CFG is the file you need. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) ...

450 host not found when using domain name for outbound relay host
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable We are getting 450 errors can not connect to host (outbounds5.obsmtp.com) = on the gwia. This is our outbound relay host. If I change the settings = for the GWIA to use the resolved IP address 12.158.34.250, the mail goes = out fine. FYI: This started after we changed ISPs requiring us to change the = external addresses that our firewall translates (NAT). I already tried = updating sys:etc\resolve.cfg to use the new nameservers, reinitialized and = restart...

Host Name.Domain
I am setting up a new server to add to my network and I need help answering this question. The new server is going to be off site, at a new location. My main server here is UMCHS_SVR1. This is going to be UMCHS_SVR3. During set up (after I put in the IP info), I am being asked for DNS information which I assume will be the Primary and Secondary DNS info for the ISP that is providing Internet Access out at the site. My question is, for host name I assume I'll put in UMCHS_SVR3. Is that correct? What do I put in the domain field? My main server resolves to mail.mycompany.com,...

host/domain name
HiIs there any difference between Request.url.host and request.servervariables["host_name"]?Do they both return same values in every circumstances?Finally, If there is any difference between them, which one should I use to build a url in my application?  Hi, Both are same you can use any oneSatalajWatch The true story of internet ||Yet another forum |||I'm big fan of Open source flash chart for .net very very simple I n t e r v i e w T i p s ...

How to host a domain name
 Hi,I would like to know what are the various steps in hosting a domain? Once the domain is hosted, what happens next? When I referred to some web hosting sites, I could see something like transferring domains, registering domains etc..What is all these about? Can someone please help me out in figuring out as to what are the detailed procedures in hosting a domain. I would also like to develop a software which automates the process of buying a domain from an account, checks the hit for that domain for 2 days, and cancel the domain from the software if does not exceed the desired nu...

How to find/change the 'host' login name AND password, and the 'admin' name AND password...
Hey folks: I've seen this question asked a couple of times, but I've seen or am able to find an answer.  I am trying to find out *where* in the database the password is for anybody.  I have a weak memory, and what I've done pre-3.0 is just look at the Users table, to find out what I named the host/host and admin/admin logins and passwords. However, the password is no longer a column in that table.  And no where in the docs can I find a reference that states *WHERE* the passwords are stored, and how to view them.  Could someone help me out on this?  I *kn...

Here's a tip: How to extract a domain or host name from a long url string (top distinct referring domains to your website from all referring urls)
The scenario is the url's are coming from a database and can be in format: http://mywebsite.com/asdasd/asda/sda/sd/asd/asd.htmhttp://www.mywebsite.com/asdasd/asd/asd/asd/asd.htmor evenhttp://localhost/asd/asd/asd/asd.htm They are also not distinct, but are sorted by top occurance in the database. Basically they are the top referring urls to your website. You wan to display a distinct/unique list of the top domains extracted from the urls.  1 /// <summary> 2 /// Builds a data table result of the top X referring domains 3 /// </summary> 4...

How to change domain name host?
I registered a domain name and hosted by yahoo.com. How to change domain name hosting  to another host? Hello, 1. You could change your DNS servers (your hosting company will provide with this information) or 2. You could change your DNS settings and to create "A record" pointing to your hosting server IP address. RegardsWindows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting go to your domain control panel and add the new name server before this you need to add the domain name in your hosting provider control panel some thing like add domain and spe...

hosts
I have a nw65sp2 server -upgraded from nw6 I wish to change the domain name from appsserver.woodleigh.vic.edu.au to appsserver.minimbah.com.au how do you do this and get it to register in hostname file and what are the implications - server runs NDPS, backupexec 9.1 also the hosts file on this server has been edited ( and saved) to show the loopback address when the server restarts the loopback address is lost. the 127.0.0.1 is missing!! What is going on? LDAP says its waiting to load, can't ping the loopback address of course. Tomcat for the adminsrv won't start. ...

How to show domain name and user name ("domainname/username") in ASP.NET Web Site Administration Tool while using active directory membership povider?
Hi, I'm using active directory membership provider and SQL role provider in my web application by adding these lines in my web.config file:1 <connectionStrings> 2 <add name="SqlRoleManagerConnection" connectionString="Data Source=FX-IT-HARIS\SQLSERVER2005; Initial Catalog=ASPNETDB; UID=user; pwd=pass" /> 3 <add name="ActiveDirectory" connectionString="LDAP://haris.co.id/DC=haris,DC=co,DC=id"/> 4 </connectionStrings> 5 6 ... 7 8 <membership defaultProvider="AspNetWindowsTokenMe...

Change NetWare domain name
We have a slight issue which has only just reared its head. We have a NW6.5SP1a server running Gwise, Apache, ARCserve, iPrint, iFolder etc. Way before my time the server was originally a 4.1 server which over time has been migrated and upgraded to 6.5. Only recently has it been migrated to 6.5. The server was given a domain name of servername.servername.co.uk which from the hosts file resolves back to itself. We have just started playing with iFolder and noticed that the LDAP server is showing as being servername.servername.co.uk and any of the links on the iFolder website fai...

Web resources about - host name domain - novell.netware.6x.admin-tools

The Domain, Sydney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... , New South Wales , Australia . It is located on the eastern edge of the Sydney central business district , near Woolloomooloo . The Domain ...

Carols in the Domain: families, Santas swelter as tens of thousands pour in to city to raise Christmas ...
Val Shaw and Lisa Cager started staking out their spot under a big Moreton Bay fig for the Carols in the Domain about eight years ago.

AC/DC make Perth stadium their rock domain
From Kelmscott to Karrinyup and onto Clarkson, the people of Perth are hyper-aware whenever legendary rock group AC/DC comes to town.

ACDC make Perth stadium their rock domain
From Kelmscott to Karrinyup and onto Clarkson, the people of Perth are hyper-aware whenever legendary rock group ACDC comes to town.

Dot-Sucks Domain Name Not Our Problem, Ottawa Says 2
The Canadian government has washed its hands of the "dot-sucks" controversy, as the new internet domain name begins to take root beside the more ...

One of The Pirate Bay's domains was taken offline after it missed an important email
The Pirate Bay's .org domain has been taken offline after the piracy site failed to respond to a verification email confirming it stills wants ...

Watch Josh Groban & James Corden Sing Public Domain Songs on 'Late Late Show'
The “Public Domain Song Concert Palooza” is not the next Bonaroo. Instead, it’s a soon-to-be fixture on the 'Late Late Show With James Corden' ...

Settlement Means “Happy Birthday” Song Will Finally Enter Public Domain
... Angeles that they’d agreed to a settlement, which, if approved, will put the case to bed, and allow the song to formally enter the public domain. ...

5 of the Best Tools to Track and Measure Your Domain’s Social Impact
5 of the Best Tools to Track and Measure Your Domain’s Social Impact written by Guest Post read more at Duct Tape Marketing Photo Credit: Unsplash, ...

An Animated Adam Conover Explains How Mickey Mouse and Disney Destroyed Public Domain Laws in the United ...
An animated Adam Conover explains how Mickey Mouse and Disney destroyed public domain laws in the United States by lobbying Congress to extend ...