File open/lock Monitor on one file closes when user accesses this file

Hello,
we are running a DBase 4.1.1 MS-DOS application at Netware OES 6.5 SP4
(Novell Small Business Suite Server).
Sometimes we are experiencing a slow down of the application when the
server CPU ha about 5% and the disks are also not running heavy. There is
nothing to find in the network too.
What we found today is, that when a user accesses ex. file.dbf and we open
the "File open/lock activity" Monitor on this file, the monitor closes
immediately. We can shortly see the users session (nolock) before it
closes.
Are there any hints we can follow to find the backgroud of the slowdown?

Thanks in advance
Uwe Spielhagen

0
spielhagen

if it's not turned off explicitly, turn off opportunistic file locking.

Enter at the console and as the first 2 lines of all server's
autoexec.ncf:
SET LEVEL 2 OPLOCKS ENABLED = OFF
SET CLIENT FILE CACHING ENABLED = OFF

Disconnect all clients and have them reconnect so caching is turned off
- or you can just reboot the server after putting the commands in the
autoexec.

Try this and report back.   Of course, you're 2 revs back on SPs but
this should be OK for this problem.  Also, what clients are you
running?

--
Cheers!
    Richard Beels

0
Richard
5/28/2007 6:45:42 AM
Thanks for your reply Richard,
I set the recommended values yesterday and rebooted the server.
Let's see if this helps.
Most of the clients are running MS-DOS 6.22 with VLM Client 1.21, there
are also some Windows 2000 and XP Clients running Novell Client 4.83 SP1
Regards
Uwe

0
spielhagen
5/30/2007 6:55:17 AM
wow, some old clients there...

let us know how it works...

--
Cheers!
    Richard Beels
    ~ Network Consultant
    ~ Sysop, Novell Support Connection
    ~ MCNE, CNE*, CNA*, CNS*, N*LS

0
Richard
5/30/2007 4:03:08 PM
Hello Richard,
it helped. The monitor does not close anymore when it should show a file
the user accesses.

But we are still having performance issues from time to time.
Even at login time it takes very long to get some 10-20 rows of text to
the screen.
There is almost no load on the machine (5%), it's a 2GHz 1GB machine with
100MBit connection.
Tests copying MBytes from and to a windows machine are as fast as they
should.
Any idea where we can start searching?
(I know, it' another topic)
Regards