creating users and home directory ownership

All of our users have me or another IT staff as owner of their home
directories after we created them in consoleone. how do we change this
on a large scale? why does this happen?

one way that I can manually change is flag.exe user1 /name=user1.context
, but I'd prefer not to have to do this for every user.

The other problem is, if a IT staff member leaves and their account is
deleted, the ownder of the directory becomes garbage (something like
___*!___ )

what am i doing wrong?
0
cperry

cperry@hmdc.harvard.edu wrote:

> All of our users have me or another IT staff as owner of their home
> directories after we created them in consoleone. how do we change
> this on a large scale? why does this happen?

Because the person who creates the directory becomes the owner.

> one way that I can manually change is flag.exe user1
> /name=user1.context , but I'd prefer not to have to do this for every
> user.

Make a batch file ? With a bit of creative scripting you can probably
'fix' this

> what am i doing wrong?

Nothing. It is working as designed.

--
Cheers,
Edward
<cperry@hmdc.harvard.edu> wrote:

>All of our users have me or another IT staff as owner of their home
>directories after we created them in consoleone. how do we change this
>on a large scale? why does this happen?

Whoever creates it is tagged as the owner.

>one way that I can manually change is flag.exe user1 /name=user1.context
>, but I'd prefer not to have to do this for every user.

That's about what you'd have to do, unless you have some other tool (like File
System Factory) doing it for you.

>The other problem is, if a IT staff member leaves and their account is
>deleted, the ownder of the directory becomes garbage (something like
>___*!___ )

That shouldn't be the case. The removed object should be cleaned up, and it
should show "no owner" there.

 David Gersic                                            dgersic_@_niu.edu

 I'm tired of receiving rubbish in my mailbox, so the E-mail address is
 munged to foil the junkmail bots. Humans will figure it out on their own.
0
dgersic_
1/25/2006 10:27:37 PM
cperry@hmdc.harvard.edu wrote:

> All of our users have me or another IT staff as owner of their home
> directories after we created them in consoleone. how do we change this
> on a large scale? why does this happen?

That is normal. What problems is that causing for you?

> The other problem is, if a IT staff member leaves and their account is
> deleted, the ownder of the directory becomes garbage (something like
> ___*!___ )

This should not be a problem, normally the owner field should be empty
after user object has been deleted.. doesn't have any real effect.

-sk
0
Sami

Create Directory in Users Home Directory
Hello I was wondering if there was an easy way of creating a directory and coping a file to it in each users home directory, using the login script? Could I just run a batch file like this: @echo off dir F:\homedir\test\test.file 1>2> nul if errorlevel=1 goto test goto end :test mkdir f:\homedir\test xcopy f:\test\test.file f:\homedir\test goto end :end Or is there an easier way? Thanks Jtk, > Or is there an easier way? > ZEN for Desktops... But you can do it with a batch file. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop (...

Creating a user directory other than home directory
Hey there, I have a two-fold problem. I have JRB utilities but I can not see how to make this work. We created a directory in the users home directory. We want to move all these directories out into another main directory and have the same file rights. Plus, when we add new users, we want this directory to be created automatically. Each teacher has a directory called GQWIN in their home directory. This is their gradebook. We want to move all of the teachers gradebooks into one central "Gradebook" directory, then their username, then the GQWIN directory. Curren...

Creating a Home Directory for a user in iManager
I'm setting up some custom user creation tasks in iManager 2.0.2 and having trouble with the creation of user home directories. The problem is described in TID 10092408 in scenario 3 where the home directory is located on a NetWare 6.5 cluster volume. I've looked at the other issues re rights to the file system to create the folder and set the access rights but this is all ok. I have tested this with NetWare 6.5 SP3 which the article indicates should resolve the problem (an update to NCPIP.NLM) and I have also tested this with NetWare 6.5 SP4. Does anyone know wheth...

Creating generic home directorys for users
Hi, I work in a university lab environment. I am in the planning process of pushing 20000 student accounts from a separate LDAP box to my Netware5.1 Edir server. In the current system users login using generic accounts which map generic home directories, though this will change when their accounts are merged into the tree, allowing them to login with their own unique username an password. Due to a limited amount of space on my servers I cannot spare the space to give each student account their own home directory. Therefore I am looking for a way in which I can create a gene...

Errors with user templates when creating home directories...
Hello, we have a Netware 6.5 SP2 Cluster with 4 Nodes. We want to create users with use of a template. The user home directories should be created on a Cluster-Volume (SAN). We get the follwing error messages: ConsoleOne 1.36c = unable to process request; file not found iManager 2.02 = Error: The create user's home directory failed The user is created but the home directory was not created. On a non Clustered-Volume everything works fine. Any Ideas? This is a known bug that is being worked on, but there is no fix or ETA for one at present. It's not even clea...

Create user fails with Web Admin tool
Unable to create a user using the ASP.net Website Administration Tool. I get Errors Occured message . Here's a recapEverything worked on the local SQL Express database, failed when it went to SQL 2005 on my web server. And now the localSqlServer is failing on create userUsed the aspnet_regsql.exe  tool to create all the necessary tables on my SQL 2005 server. BTW, I can create/delete roles with no problems, its the add users I'm having trouble with. If I manually add a user to the tables, I can see them under manage users and can even edit them. Local or remote - so my connecti...

iManager can not creat User Home Directory
When attempting to create a User with iManager, I get the following error: Error: error due creating user home directory. We have NW 6.5 SP1, eDirectory 8.7.4. Have anybody an idea what I do wrong? Fari, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support tools and options avail...

Web Admin Tool--Security--Create New Users
I try to make a new user entry and in the admin tool and it gives me the error that the password needs to be at least 7 letters and contain at least one non-alphanumeric #.  I've tried various passwords that conform to this and it still gives me this error.  I don't know what the problem is??  Does anyone else? A simple password that conforms to this would be: pass!word1 Is that not working?-Stefan----------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. That works, thanks....

Unable to create user using web admin tool
Hi, I am facing a problem in my application for creating new users using ASP.NET Configuration Website Admin Tool. When I create a new user setting passwordFormat="Clear" or "Hashed" it works fine and new users are created successfully. But when ever I set passwordFormat="Encrypted" and tries to create user it gives following error: An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try again. The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(O...

iManager can not creat User Home Directory II
Now I find out that iManager can not create user home directory on a Netware Cluster Volume. Is there any fixes for iManager to fix this greate problem? Thank, Fari Fari, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support tools and options available at http://support.novell.com in b...

Web Site Admin Tool
Hello, I'm using Visual Web Developer 2008 I've created a Web site I've created a Database file (SQLExpress) I use the ASP.Net Configuration in VWD When I try to create a user I get the follwoing error: "An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try again. " I checked Provider (did the test) Success I can add users using a web page on my site ... I can set up roles I can set up access rules ... Its not the end of the world .. but a major pain .. any ideas ?   Brian     Hi Brian, I need two th...

User Home Directory Can't be Created
We're having a problem whereby when we create a new user, user's home directory is not being created. Novell Netware 6.5 SP7 Novell eDirectory 8.7 Latest ConsoleOne Any idea or suggestion? -- Herry Bin Sarip System Engineer Email : herry@zen.com.my ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Athlon crazy, > We're having a problem whereby when we create a new user, user's home > directory is not being created. > Now do you create this user? Ie with what tool? NWadmin32, ConsoleOne, iManager, Other.. - And...

Automatically creating user home directory w/ ice
I used ice to import multiple users into nds from a ldif file. I was able to associate the home directory path with the user through the ndsHomeDirectory attribute in the ldif file. However, I want it to also create the actual user document directory folder on the server. Right now it imports the path but doesn't create the actual folder. Is there a way to do this? steve@nospam.com wrote: > I used ice to import multiple users into nds from a ldif file. I was able > to associate the home directory path with the user through the > ndsHomeDirectory attribute in...

Easy way to create a folder in every users Home directory
Is there an easy way to create a folder in every users home directory? I am trying to set it so that their Internet Explorer favorites point to a folder on their home directory. The other question is when you create a user template can you have that template create the folder in that user home directory? -- thang On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 18:59:03 +0000, thang wrote: > Is there an easy way to create a folder in every users home directory? I > am trying to set it so that their Internet Explorer favorites point to a > folder on their home directory. If you're u...

Web resources about - creating users and home directory ownership - novell.netware.6x.admin-tools

Wikipedia:Quick directory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page is a handy directory to various locations of interest in Wikipedia. Only dynamic pages should be listed here, no policy pages etc. ...

Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Business Directory Listings: Eight Smart Tips for You to Get Started
If you are considering a business directory listing for your small business, congratulations – you are on the right track. Local SEO, local customers, ...

LinkedIn Lookup iOS app aims to replace your company’s awful intranet employee directory
... continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "LinkedIn Lookup iOS app aims to replace your company’s awful intranet employee directory" ...

Atlas Partner Directory Launched
... just for Facebook and Instagram –advertising platform Atlas has one, as well. On that note, Atlas Tuesday introduced the Atlas Partner Directory ...

Slack announces App Directory store
... create more apps for the store, and a new framework called Botkit which should simplify the process of creating apps. The Slack App Directory, ...

The British Library’s ‘Save Our Sounds’ Program Creates Directory of UK Sound Collections
The long-feared deterioration of the world's sound collections is a coming to a head with the British Library's last-ditch initiative called ...

Researchers show how to steal Windows Active Directory credentials from the Internet
... showed at the Black Hat security conference. The attack, called an SMB relay, causes a Windows computer that's part of an Active Directory ...

Researchers find way to steal Windows Active Directory credentials from the Internet
The technique could enable attackers to attack Windows servers hosted in the cloud

Slack's App Directory proves it's more than just a chatroom
... are about to get a little easier to find and integrate within your team and over 160 of them live within the company's new Slack App Directory. ...