clients cannot login to server using server name

We have a Netware 6.5 server now running SP3 that users on Windows 98 who
are now running client 3.4c can't login to using the server name only.  The
problem first occured when the 6.5 server was on SP1 and most of the
clients were running 3.32.  Because of the older versions, we first tried
upgrading both server and clients to the latest versions, but this did not
help.  We can login in to the server if we use the IP address in the server
field of the client.  However, if the server name is used, the client can
not find the server and logs in to the 5.1 server at the same location. 
This is a problem since most of the programs used at this location are on
the 6.5 server and the clients are not able to map a drive to this
location.  The 6.5 server has 2 network cards both bound to the same IP and
load balancing turned on.  The first card is also bound to IPX.  Most
clients are IP only.

Both servers are running SLP and are configured to use an SLPDA located at
our central office.  A check of 'display slp services' shows both servers
in the list.

Any thoughts?  If more info is needed, please let me know and I will
provide it if possible.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.
0
jholder
5/2/2005 10:36:23 AM
novell.netware.6x.admin-tools 11680 articles. 0 followers. Follow

20 Replies
678 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 18

Minor correction, the other server at this location is Netware 6 SP5, not 5.1.



> We have a Netware 6.5 server now running SP3 that users on Windows 98 who
> are now running client 3.4c can't login to using the server name only.  The
> problem first occured when the 6.5 server was on SP1 and most of the
> clients were running 3.32.  Because of the older versions, we first tried
> upgrading both server and clients to the latest versions, but this did not
> help.  We can login in to the server if we use the IP address in the server
> field of the client.  However, if the server name is used, the client can
> not find the server and logs in to the 5.1 server at the same location. 
> This is a problem since most of the programs used at this location are on
> the 6.5 server and the clients are not able to map a drive to this
> location.  The 6.5 server has 2 network cards both bound to the same IP and
> load balancing turned on.  The first card is also bound to IPX.  Most
> clients are IP only.
> 
> Both servers are running SLP and are configured to use an SLPDA located at
> our central office.  A check of 'display slp services' shows both servers
> in the list.
> 
> Any thoughts?  If more info is needed, please let me know and I will
> provide it if possible.
> 
> Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

0
jholder
5/2/2005 12:30:51 PM
On 5/2/2005  jholder@catoosa.k12.ga.us wrote:

> We can login in to the server if we use the IP address in the server
> field of the client.  However, if the server name is used, the client can
> not find the server

You need to configure SLPDA in your network. Follow this URL
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10059981.htm

-- 
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison
5/2/2005 1:34:32 PM
We have SLP setup with a DA.  DHCP which runs from the 6.5 server is also 
set with option 78 to let DHCP clients know where the DA lives.  However, 
the 98 machines still are not finding it.

At the client login screen, if we leave the tree and context fields blank 
and try to browse for servers, all that shows up is the Netware 6 server.  
The 6.5 server is not listed.



> On 5/2/2005  jholder@catoosa.k12.ga.us wrote:
> 
> > We can login in to the server if we use the IP address in the server
> > field of the client.  However, if the server name is used, the client 
can
> > not find the server
> 
> You need to configure SLPDA in your network. Follow this URL
> http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10059981.htm
> 
> -- 
> Edison Ortiz
> Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
> (No Email Support, Thanks !)

0
jholder
5/2/2005 3:54:42 PM
Correction:

When the client IS NOT configured to use the DA, all that shows up is the 
Netware 6 server.  When the client IS configured to use the DA, both 
servers do show up, however, the client still cannot login to the 6.5 
server.



> We have SLP setup with a DA.  DHCP which runs from the 6.5 server is 
also 
> set with option 78 to let DHCP clients know where the DA lives.  
However, 
> the 98 machines still are not finding it.
> 
> At the client login screen, if we leave the tree and context fields 
blank 
> and try to browse for servers, all that shows up is the Netware 6 
server.  
> The 6.5 server is not listed.
> 
> 
> 
> > On 5/2/2005  jholder@catoosa.k12.ga.us wrote:
> > 
> > > We can login in to the server if we use the IP address in the server
> > > field of the client.  However, if the server name is used, the 
client 
> can
> > > not find the server
> > 
> > You need to configure SLPDA in your network. Follow this URL
> > http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10059981.htm
> > 
> > -- 
> > Edison Ortiz
> > Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
> > (No Email Support, Thanks !)
> 

0
jholder
5/2/2005 4:03:01 PM
On 5/2/2005  jholder@catoosa.k12.ga.us wrote:

> When the client IS configured to use the DA, both 
> servers do show up, however, the client still cannot login to the 6.5 
> server.

I'm confused. Which client can and which client can not ?

Can you post the output from SLPINFO /D from the working
client and from the non-working client ?

-- 
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison
5/2/2005 4:06:07 PM
The clients that ARE NOT configured to use the SLP DA do not see the 
server when clicking the server browse button on the client login screen.  
Clients that ARE configured to use the SLP DA see the server in the list 
when browsing (as well as servers at other locations that use the DA) but 
they are not able to login to it.  Here is the info you requested:

Good Machine:
NetWare 5 Service Location Protocol for DOS/Win3.x/Win9x  v3.20  (020801)
Copyright 1997-1999 Novell, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.

DA IP Address        Source(s)    State       Local Interface
-------------------------------------------------------------
    10.  1.  1. 19   DHCP         UP          10.8.13.1
      Scope = CCPS_Scope          

Bad Machine:
NetWare 5 Service Location Protocol for DOS/Win3.x/Win9x  v3.20  (020801)
Copyright 1997-1999 Novell, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.

DA IP Address        Source(s)    State       Local Interface
-------------------------------------------------------------
    10.  1.  1. 19   DHCP         UP          10.8.13.6
      Scope = CCPS_Scope          


Also, I did a screen shot of the login scrip results for you.  It's 
located at http://www.catoosa.k12.ga.us/loginerror.jpg

In this screen shot, server WES_CH1 is the Netware 6.5 server we can NOT 
login to.  WES is the Netware 6 server.  The first few lines show what 
happens when we try to login using only the server name (tree and context 
fields left blank).  If we put in the Tree and Context, the client tries 
to attach to the 6.5 server, fails, then attaches to the Netware 6 server.

Hope that helps.  Thanks for helping!
0
jholder
5/2/2005 4:40:28 PM
More info we found.
On computers that are not logging in to the Netware 6.5 server:

When trying to make a UNC connection to the Netware 6.5 server using 
\\wes_ch1 we get "Network name cannot be found".  If we do a UNC 
connection using the IP address (\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) we are able to login 
and see the server.  After we connect using the IP, we are then able to 
establish a UNC connection using \\wes_ch1.

Hope this helps also.
0
jholder
5/2/2005 5:08:48 PM
Please post the output from typing DISPLAY SLPDA from
both servers.
Also, make sure to compare the DISPAY SLP SERVICES
output from both servers, they should account the same #
of URLs.


-- 
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison
5/2/2005 5:30:14 PM
Display slp servies show 173 total on both servers.

Here is the output for DISPLAY SLPDA:

WES_CH1 server (Netware 6.5):

10.1.1.19 : v2 : ACTIVE : CCPS_SCOPE : STATIC : 12 : 26ms
Total Active: 1  Total Inactive: 0

WES server (Netware 6)

10.1.1.19 : v2 : ACTIVE : CCPS_SCOPE : STATIC : 9 : 28ms
Total Active: 1  Total Inactive: 0


Thanks again!
0
jholder
5/2/2005 5:48:38 PM
Looks good. It's the problem only happening to
Windows98 clients. Do you have Windows2000/XP
clients working without problems ?


-- 
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison
5/2/2005 6:16:24 PM
Correct, only Windows 98 seems to be having the problem.

> Looks good. It's the problem only happening to
> Windows98 clients. Do you have Windows2000/XP
> clients working without problems ?
> 
> 
> -- 
> Edison Ortiz
> Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
> (No Email Support, Thanks !)

0
jholder
5/2/2005 6:47:31 PM
On 5/2/2005  jholder@catoosa.k12.ga.us wrote:

> Correct, only Windows 98 seems to be having the problem.

It seems the SLP components on that client version are broken.
Do you have a previous version of the Novell Client around ?
If so, can you run UNC32.EXE and install that version level ?
I don't have any Windows9x machines at the moment so I can't
really duplicate your scenario.


-- 
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison
5/2/2005 6:58:44 PM
We have tried doing a full uninstall/reinstall using unc32 and it didn't 
help.  We did not try downgrading to an older version however.  We did 
upgrade to 3.4c from 3.32.  3.32 was giving the same problem.  We have 
also had this problem on clean installs of 98 and 3.4 client.  For these 
fresh installs, we used just the plain 3.4 client and not 3.4c.



> On 5/2/2005  jholder@catoosa.k12.ga.us wrote:
> 
> > Correct, only Windows 98 seems to be having the problem.
> 
> It seems the SLP components on that client version are broken.
> Do you have a previous version of the Novell Client around ?
> If so, can you run UNC32.EXE and install that version level ?
> I don't have any Windows9x machines at the moment so I can't
> really duplicate your scenario.
> 
> 
> -- 
> Edison Ortiz
> Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
> (No Email Support, Thanks !)

0
jholder
5/2/2005 7:20:44 PM
On 5/2/2005  jholder@catoosa.k12.ga.us wrote:

> We have tried doing a full uninstall/reinstall using unc32 and it didn't 
> help.  We did not try downgrading to an older version however.  We did 
> upgrade to 3.4c from 3.32.  3.32 was giving the same problem.  We have 
> also had this problem on clean installs of 98 and 3.4 client.  For these 
> fresh installs, we used just the plain 3.4 client and not 3.4c.

I see if I can ask Novell to duplicate your environment (Windows9x client
along with NetWare6.5). Stay tuned....


-- 
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison
5/2/2005 7:51:29 PM
While you are waiting can I suggest you look into licensing on the 
problem 6.5 server. You should have an NLS_LSP object for each 6.5 
server, assigned to it and in its container. A 6.5 server license object 
should be in the same container as the server object, or above that in 
the tree, and not assigned to any server. If non-MLA, a 6.5 user (conn) 
license needs to be in the same container as the user objects, or above 
that in the tree, and not assigned to any server. Make sure the two 
license types are successfully being consumed.
-- 
  Andrew C Taubman
  Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
  http://support.novell.com/forums
  (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)

  Opinions expressed above are not
  necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0
Andrew
5/3/2005 1:35:15 AM
Our SLA license is install in the same context as the server and the 
server shows that it is using that license.


> While you are waiting can I suggest you look into licensing on the 
> problem 6.5 server. You should have an NLS_LSP object for each 6.5 
> server, assigned to it and in its container. A 6.5 server license object 
> should be in the same container as the server object, or above that in 
> the tree, and not assigned to any server. If non-MLA, a 6.5 user (conn) 
> license needs to be in the same container as the user objects, or above 
> that in the tree, and not assigned to any server. Make sure the two 
> license types are successfully being consumed.
> -- 
>   Andrew C Taubman
>   Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
>   http://support.novell.com/forums
>   (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)
> 
>   Opinions expressed above are not
>   necessarily those of Novell Inc.

0
jholder
5/3/2005 11:26:17 AM
Well, we were not able to fix the problem, but we were able to work around
it.  Under our SLA contract, we have access to Novell OES.  We did an in
place upgrade of our 6.5 server to OES and the problem seems to be fixed.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out with our problem.


> Our SLA license is install in the same context as the server and the 
> server shows that it is using that license.
> 
> 
> > While you are waiting can I suggest you look into licensing on the 
> > problem 6.5 server. You should have an NLS_LSP object for each 6.5 
> > server, assigned to it and in its container. A 6.5 server license object 
> > should be in the same container as the server object, or above that in 
> > the tree, and not assigned to any server. If non-MLA, a 6.5 user (conn) 
> > license needs to be in the same container as the user objects, or above 
> > that in the tree, and not assigned to any server. Make sure the two 
> > license types are successfully being consumed.
> > -- 
> >   Andrew C Taubman
> >   Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
> >   http://support.novell.com/forums
> >   (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)
> > 
> >   Opinions expressed above are not
> >   necessarily those of Novell Inc.
> 

0
jholder
5/3/2005 6:47:42 PM
On 5/3/2005  jholder@catoosa.k12.ga.us wrote:

> We did an in
> place upgrade of our 6.5 server to OES and the problem seems to be fixed.
> 
> Thanks again to everyone who helped out with our problem.

Cool and thanks for the post back. I'll close my pending case with Novell.


-- 
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison
5/3/2005 6:53:46 PM
Eh? You had SP3 already, I thought. OES is just SP3 with a later iMan 
and one or two other bits that will have no effect on this problem. I 
wonder if your installation of SP3 was incomplete or something like that.
-- 
  Andrew C Taubman
  Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
  http://support.novell.com/forums
  (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)

  Opinions expressed above are not
  necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0
Andrew
5/4/2005 12:53:39 AM
If you can use IP address and not host name, its /most/ likely an SLP
issue. How are you connected to the central office location? SLP
discovery requires multicast and certain routers don't forward
multicast by default ... a more definitive answer would require you
taking packet trace and see if the workstations are indeed getting a
SLP response ...


-- 


Peter
eDirectory Rules!
0
Peter
5/8/2005 1:06:29 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

what server name to use in SQL Server Management Tool
My hosting company is slow and incomplete in answering a question of mine, which hopefully will be generic enough to be answered here; and which I haven't found the answer to anywhere else on the Web. Question: On the SQL Server 2005 Management Express, I have no problem connecting to the database I have on my local machine. However, I need to know what to write in the "Server" textbox in the opening "Connect to Server" menu. How do you determine what it is? Thanks in advance for helping me through this mystery.  You need to write SQL Server nam...

How to get server name and databases name from a server using SQL Command...
can anyone tell meHow to get server name and databases name from a server using SQL Command...i m using sql server 2000(T-SQL)-- "Mark As Answer" If my reply helped you --  Use @@SERVERNAME to find the server name -select @@SERVERNAME& this to find the current database name -select db_name()M.V. 'Anil' Radhakrishna Web Development Tips, Tricks & Trivia | My Code Gallery Recent article - How To Create a Custom IE8 Accelerator thanks..... -- "Mark As Answer" If my reply helped you --...

Login in to Windows server and Netware server
Hi All, We are running a Netware 5.0 file/print server in a small business environment. We are now in the process of setting up a Windows 2003 Small business server as well (needed for some database application services etc...). We are typically running Client32 4.90 sp2+ as clients. Is it feasible to log into to both the Netware server and the Windows domain (AD setup)? If so, what do I need to do this? Will the current clients do this? Do I need extra software? Should I avoid it like the plague? If anyone can point me to some online docs or provide some suggestions ...

Can't login to Netware 6 box from Win2003 Server using Client
I have a Netware 6 server and a Windows Server 2003 Server. If I install CSNW on the 2003 box, I can login to the Netware box just fine. But, if I install NWClient (v4.90), I can't see the Tree or servers. I can't even browse the Netware portion of the Network. I've seen people with problems similar in other newsgroups, but none seem to be identical to mine. I am no longer running ADS on the 2003 box (until I get this fixed), so it is just a stand alone machine. Thanks for any help. Jeff Have you tried putting in an IP address for a NetWare server in for th...

Using VPN client then netware client to access file server
Hi, I have one customer site functioning well. Using Cisco VPN client then login via 4.83 sp2 client. Now when attempting to use above method I receive Tree not found. We have 5.x servers. I don't really understand the advertisement of the tree, SAP or ARP or ? Any comments or suggestions or pointing to documentation would be greatly appreciated. Bruce Childers St OR 503-373-1993x244 bruce.childers@state.or.us > I don't really understand > the advertisement of the tree, SAP or ARP or ? SAP is IPX. ARP is NetBIOS. NetWare uses SLP (mainly) as well as Host...

Changing preferred NetWare Server + Login-Server
Hi, we have to migrate an old server to a newer one. Although we want to clean out some "old" stuff (secondary IPs of servers, DNS ...). I checked the Novell Client Settings in the registry and found out that the Login-Server in the Tab eDirectory is stored in randomly generated folder. I think I cant change this setting through a registry key. Do I have any other opportunities to change this setting? Thank you, Adrian -- redwood ------------------------------------------------------------------------ If you are using the "default" login prof...

How to use another Jaguar server as a name server
Hello, The Jaguar CTS System Administration Guide, topic "Configuring the Jaguar Name Server" states that in the Name Server tab in the Server Properties window, one can disable the Jaguar server as a name server. Then the URL for the Jaguar server acting as the name server should be entered. Unfortunately, in Jaguar Manager 3.6.1 I can disable my Jaguar server as a name server, but there is no way to enter the URL for the name server. So how can I specify the URL of the name server? I think you may have a common misunderstanding. If I have a single server A, no...

automation server to client and client to server
I have to applications that need to communicate with each other. Is it practical for both of them to be servers and clients to each other? One of the applications will work primarily as a server and will launch the other application. The newly launched application needs to be able to send occasional information to the server to update information in the application that launched it. Also, if the user attempts to close the launched application it needs to tell the launcher application to close the appl ication that it launched. Does this sound practical? This is kind of like launching wo...

Indy 10
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --JivePart=_39eb5.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" The udp client component would be used in the datasnap server. The udp server component would be used in the datasnap client. --JivePart=_39eb5.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: application/x-zip-compressed; name="UDPDSClinetstub.zip" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="UDPDSClinetstub.zip" UEs...

why CIFS Server Name must be different from netware server?
Hello... I have a server netware 6.5 with 2 NIC interfaces with different ip address ( one is 10.1.x.x and the other is 10.8.x.x) I solved my previous problem : to create a route to reach the PDC. Now I can login into the domain from network 10.8.x.x. and see my files that are on my server novell ( Previous thread). I have set the name of the CIFS server equal to the name of the Novell server....and works!!! I'm unable to understand why I have to put CIFS Server Name must be different from the NetWare server!!! What are the contraindications? If I ping the Novell server ...

Server to Server, both Servers in same Tree
Hi, where could be problem when some time connection is not established after server restart, but some time it is OK. (I waited whole day) Filters are opened for all IP from and to both servers in VPN. Both servers are BM3.7 SP2, NDS Version 10350.19 March 18, 2003 Slave server contain RW replica of the container where the server resides. (I tried also Master replica) here are also licenses for NW6 and BM3.7 Master server is in different replica which is not on slave server. Both servers are on same subnet. Packet capture shows only IP 57 communication from Master to ...

BM38 VPN Client to site can not login to the netware client without speficing a server to log into
using the Novell client 4.90.0.0 SP1a NMAS BM38 VPN Client BM3xvpn9 The VPN portion connects to the BM Server and Internal IP Addresses can be pinged, even an application on a privite side Windows server that does not require authinication can be run. There are entries for each privie side Netware 6.5 server in the client's HOST file. In the client to site VPN Setup Under the DNS/SLP tab there are enties for Privite side DNS Servers and a server running the SLPDA, I assume that servers just running SLP are not listed. The problem is the netware client can not see the...

How to know which client using the server methord in Datasnap Server? [Edit]
Hi, There are some clients which has connected the datasnap server. I have recorded their ChannelInfo.Id when these clients connect the server in Onconnect Event of Datasnap Server. Now if a client is preparing to use the Server Methord, how can I get this client's thread id or ChannelInfo.Id? I want to do this: 1.So I can record the time of this client invoked the server methord in Datasnap Server. 2.So I can disconnect this client's connection. Best regards, Sunstone Edited by: sun stone on Feb 7, 2010 10:17 PM I want this to store session info in a server having...

Pass values from server to client and client to server?
Hi, i have a scenario, i want to  pass some values to an image and a label dynamically from database. i want to use an anchor(a href) tag and when the mouse goes over the anchor , an image url and label text must change with the values from database. Suppose that there are more than one anchor at the page.  One more thing, anchors must get the id values of the records from database at page_Load() and the queries use these these ids again to retreive imageurl and label text values from database when ...

Web resources about - clients cannot login to server using server name - novell.netware.6x.admin-tools

Fat client - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the name is contrasted to thin client , which describes a computer heavily dependent on a server's applications. A fat client still requires ...

Facebook Forms EMEA Client Council
Facebook announced the formation of its EMEA Client Council in a post in Spanish on the Facebook for Business page by vice president for Europe, ...

Facebook hires: Carsabi team, head of policy France, marketing mix science lead, client partners and ...
... Manager (Prineville) Chief Facility Engineer (Prineville) SMB Associate, French (Dublin) User Operations – Contract (Menlo Park) Client ...

Acquire Learning casts 'a very dark shadow' over its clients
The desperate and jobless are sold hope, but all they are buying is debt "You can hear it in how these clients talk," says a former call-centre ...

Never Complain To Clients Or Adversaries
Even trial lawyers that learn and have fun all the time deal with frustrations and have their gripes. But we should never share those gripes ...

The 2015 Awards Report: See the World's Most Creative Agencies, Campaigns and Clients
We present the winners of our 2015 Awards Report, highlighting the most creatively celebrated companies and personalities of the year. As you'll ...

Anchorage Assembly candidate drops out rather than reveal tutoring clients
... Anchorage Budget Advisory Commission, has withdrawn a bid for the Assembly because she did not want to list the names and addresses of clients ...

Chatting with coworkers, clients, friends and others is easy as Pie
... uses your companys domain). This also means that you can now set up teams to chat with people outside your company, including partners, clients, ...

Apple Says U.K. Surveillance Law Would Endanger All Clients
Apple Inc. outlined its opposition to a proposed U.K. surveillance law, saying threats to national security don’t justify weakening privacy and ...

The relationship between UPS and Amazon, its biggest client, is fraying
The relationship between Amazon and the United Parcel Service is fraying, The Wall Street Journal reports . The Amazon account at UPS is, according ...

Resources last updated: 1/3/2016 5:17:43 AM