Can you move User's Home Directories by Hand?

I have a need to move about 200 user's home directories from a NW5.0
server to and NW6.5 server.  I was going to do it this weekend.  I was
searching around on Deja.com and it seems a lot of people pay a bundle to
get a utility to do it.  Is there anything wrong with just copying the
directories from one server to another and then editing the user objects
through console1 and changing it to the new loc?  Obviously it will take
some time, but is there any actual reason or danger invovled in just doing
it this way?  Thanks for your help.  Hopefully, I can get it done this
weekend and have one more step to my 6.5 world.
0
dogfrndnew

--____YSEZPLYHTXCAVUJNXPLC____

Yes, you can do it by hand.  I've done it many times.

My understanding is that if you do it via C1 or NWAdmin, permissions =
should be retained.  I tried it and found it to be very sloooow with both =
utilities.  Just move directory and update it in NWAdmin/C1.  Reassign =
permissions if needed.  I don't remember offhand, but I thought moving a =
directory retained the permissions, copy didn't, but you'll need to test =
that.  Try it with one directory.  If rights are not retained, you'll need =
to reassign.

JRB utilities probably has something for this, but it will cost you. =20

Tom

>>> <dogfrndnew@yahoo.com> 4/14/2006 2:41 PM >>>

I have a need to move about 200 user's home directories from a NW5.0=20
server to and NW6.5 server.  I was going to do it this weekend.  I was=20
searching around on Deja.com and it seems a lot of people pay a bundle =
to=20
get a utility to do it.  Is there anything wrong with just copying the=20
directories from one server to another and then editing the user objects=20=

through console1 and changing it to the new loc?  Obviously it will =
take=20
some time, but is there any actual reason or danger invovled in just =
doing=20
it this way?  Thanks for your help.  Hopefully, I can get it done this=20
weekend and have one more step to my 6.5 world.