Netware 5.1, Netware 5.1 SP6, Netware 5.1 SP8, Nici

I'm building a test network that is currently a mess.  This network will be
used to test the migration of my 10 netware 5.1 Sp 6 servers to NW 6.5.  I'm
putting two netware 5.1 servers and one MS 2003 server into the test
network.  Testserver 1 is a 5.1 SP6 server with a master replica.  When
installing Testserver 2 using the NW51SP6 overlay, the installation failed
with a css.nlm "waiting for xmgr" error. Consequently, I was going to create
a 5.1 server and then install the SP6 overlay or the SP6 depending on what
worked best.  My NW51 original disks are scratched and the 5.1 installation
of Server 2 failed during the 3rd copy.  Since all servers are going to need
SP7 or 8 before we can test the migration, I decided to use the  NW51SP8e
overlay to upgrade TESTSERVER 1 before adding testserver 2 because it had
the master replica.  I used nwdeploy and then restarted Server 1, selecting
install from the CD at the dos prompt.  The installation failed (froze)
after the first copy as the nici files were trying to load.  After doing
some research, I checked the files in c:\nwserver.  All appropriate files
were in the directory except the novxeng.xlm that had a different date.  I
copied domxeng.xlm to novxeng.xlm.  All files were dated 11-10-2003.  When I
restarted the nwserver, the computer abended and froze after nicidsi.xlm
loaded.  The following error message appeared "Error loading one or more
digitally signed object.  All loaded digitally signed objects will be
unloaded.  The server then showed an abend error -- critical error suspended
process typical message appeared.  Message  Server-5.1-4631.  (nmID=1001C)

The server then loaded btrieve communication manager and then froze when

I reviewed several tids regarding NICI errors.  Several suggested that I
copy the NICI files to the sys volume and restart.  Unfortunately the server
freezes and the SYS volume is never mounted.  Is there a switch that will
load server up to the point that nici loads and then stop.  Can I then mount
SYS and copy files?  I can ping this server when it freezes so I might be
able to see this volume.  If need be, I can rebuild this server from scratch
as it does not have a large NDS and is a test server anyway.  It does have
Zen 3.2 SP 3 on it and some rather complicated policies so I want to avoid a
rebuild if possible.  Do you have any suggestions.  If I rebuild, is there
an overlay that allows me to do one install.  The SP8e overlay seems to
require an installation of 5.1 first and then an upgrade to SP8.  Your
thoughts will be appreciated.  Nancy

Nancy B. Royall
Director of Technology
Richmond County Schools
Warsaw, VA  22572

0
Nancy

 > The SP8e overlay seems to require an installation of 5.1 first and
then an upgrade to SP8.

In that case you don't have the overlay, but just the SP. Go to
http://support.novell.com/tools/csp/csp12_nw51downloads.html and
download any file there with the word "overlay" in the description, NOT
nw51sp8e.exe .

FDISK your box and boot from the overlay CD.
--
  Andrew C Taubman
  Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp

  Opinions expressed above are not
  necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0
Andrew
3/23/2005 9:51:44 PM
I definitely already have nw51sp8ef.iso -- that was the file I used.  I will
fdisk and start again and see what happens.  Thanks Nancy

"Andrew C Taubman" <ataubmanILoveSpam@novell.AndSpamLovesMe.com> wrote in
message news:Qxl0e.1956$LF2.1515@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> > The SP8e overlay seems to require an installation of 5.1 first and
> then an upgrade to SP8.
>
> In that case you don't have the overlay, but just the SP. Go to
> http://support.novell.com/tools/csp/csp12_nw51downloads.html and
> download any file there with the word "overlay" in the description, NOT
> nw51sp8e.exe .
>
> FDISK your box and boot from the overlay CD.
> --
>   Andrew C Taubman
>   Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
>   http://support.novell.com/forums
>   (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)
>
>   Opinions expressed above are not
>   necessarily those of Novell Inc.

0
Nancy
3/24/2005 3:51:17 PM
And you burnt that to a CD with Nero or similar? It's now a bootable CD?
--
  Andrew C Taubman
  Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
  http://support.novell.com/forums

  Opinions expressed above are not
  necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0
Andrew

netware 5.1 sp8 in a mixed netware 5.0 / 5.1 nds7 tree
Any problems doing an overlay SP8 for Netware 5.1 (on only 1 server, the backup server) in a mixed environment and then upgrading Groupwise and Primary File Server later on off-hours? Specifically, the question is, all servers in the tree are NDS 7.62b The SP8 seems to require NDS 8.x. Will this 1 server running NDS 8.x cause a problem in the same tree with all the other 7.62b servers? It shouldn't cause a problem -- heck, NW 5.1 SP8 will 'play' with NW 4.2 servers (DS 6.21). -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop ...

NetWare 5.1 SP3 server no longer able to ping NetWare 5.1 SP8 server
I'm hoping someone can help me rather quickly. We upgraded on our master NetWare 5.1 server from SP3 to SP8 on Thursday morning. Unfortunately, one of our other NetWare 5.1 SP3 servers just stopped time syncing with it on Saturday. We desperately need to get it talking again because of Groupwise, etc. I was wondering if upgrading it to SP8 would resolve the problem. Unfortunately, our time sync isn't working, and I'm afraid of trying SP8. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:03:22 GMT, eberlyd@bbsol.us wrote: >I'm hoping so...

Have Groupwise 5.5 on Netware 5.1 going to Netware 6.5
HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade going to cause a problem. And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware 6.5 ? thanks Dave HI, dw@dymaxion.ca wrote: > > HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to > 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade > going to cause a problem. MOst likely not, however... > And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware > 6.5 ? Not officially. It will most ...

Netware 5 to Netware 5.1
I have an old copy of Netware 5 that I would try out and install on a spare computer. However, how would I go about upgrading to Netware 5.1? Would this be something I would have to purchase, or is it something I can download? , > Would this be something I would have to purchase, or is it something I > can download? > Purchase. An upgrade,and I suggest 6.5 in that case. SBS version if you have less than 50 users. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20) Novell does not monitor these forums officially...

netware 5.0 to netware 5.1
1.Do I need a new licence from netware 5.0 to 5.1? 2.If I lost my floppy licence for my netware 5.0 installation, can I retreive it from the server? I'm trying to virtualize 3 netware 5.0 servers and unfortunaly my client lost the floppy licence. So what I tried is to install a fresh copy of netware 5.0 on a vm but without a big success. So that why I'm looking to move to netware 5.1 Thanks Eric -- xd5916 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ IIRC Netware 5.1 requires a new license. You might want to contact Novell and s...

Netware 4.1 with Netware SAA 4.0 upgrade to Netware 5.1
Dear sirs, I would like to know what is the correct procedure to upgrade a Netware 4.1 with Netware for SAA 4.0 server to Netware 5.1. This is the last server we have to upgrade, all the other are already on netware 5.1. Can I just proceed with a inplace upgrade? If so, Do I have to change anything in Netware for SAA? What kind of service pack should I use on Netware 5.1? After upgrade do I need saa40020.exe for netware 5.1? Just a few questions to make sure I'am on the right track. Thanks in advance Ger van de Kolk I did a 4.1o to 5.0 with SAA4.0 a coup...

Upgrade from NetWare 5.1 SP8 to NetWare 6.5 SP5
Hello folks, we have one single NetWare 5.1 SP8 server upgraded to NetWare 6.5 SP5 but one error was shown during this procedure. The following box appeared telling us: Windows: SNMP Object Creation Error Contents: An error was encountered while creating the eDirectory SNMP objects. The error returned was -625. Please see the readme for instructions on how to perform this task manually. Couldn't find a suitable readme but I have found a documentation how to create the SNMP group object under NetWare. The command SNMPINST.NLM -c <AdminContext> &l...

Migrating Information from NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Server w/Migration Wizard 7.1
> rkish@gwl.ouboces.org > Thank you for your help...here is my predicament. > I want to migrate an "old" NetWare 5.1/SP6 server to new hardware and upgraded to NetWare 6.5 using the latest Migration Wizard (7.1). This is our email server and currently has GroupWise 5.54 installed on it (it is also our webserver for the school district). > As we have NEVER used the latest Migration Wizard before, we are unsure > as how and which "data" folders to transfer to the new server. Here is > the list of files from the old server... > >...

Migrating Information from NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Server w/Migration Wizard 7.1
> rkish@gwl.ouboces.org > > Thank you for your help...here is my predicament. > > I want to migrate an "old" NetWare 5.1/SP6 server to new hardware and > upgraded to NetWare 6.5 using the latest Migration Wizard (7.1). This is > our email server and currently has GroupWise 5.54 installed on it (it is > also our webserver for the school district). > > As we have NEVER used the latest Migration Wizard before, we are unsure > as how and which "data" folders to transfer to the new server. Here is > the list of files fro...

Import DNS Zone from Netware 5.1 SP6 to Netware 6.5
Can I import a DNS Zone from a Netware 5.1 SP6 Server to Netware 6.5 SP1 ? Please see my reply to your earlier post, and in the future please do not post essentially the same question more than once. Thanks, bd NSC Volunteer SysOp ...

Upgrading from Netware 5.1 to netware 6.5
Hi, I plan to migrate my 4 Netware 5.1 servers to netware 6.5. What action do I have to do first?Upgrade DS version, latest patchs... My configuration is : - Netware 5.1 SP5 - DHCP is running - NDPS Broker, Manager - DS version 10330.03 - ZfD 3.2 - DirXml 1.1 + passwordSync I also plan to migrate to NIM 2.0 (or IDM, I don't know how to call that!) and ZEN 4 What is the best method?Any feedback experience on projects like this would really be appreciate! Email is also acceptable! Regards, Maurice TADANG I would apply the sp7 patch to the 5.1 servers, then up...

Web resources about - Netware 5.1, Netware 5.1 SP6, Netware 5.1 SP8, Nici - novell.netware.5x.install

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ