Multiple NIC/Single IP address

Is it possible to load balance a Netware 5.1 server by simply
assigning
two NIC's the same IP address?  It looks possible in NW6 but we
haven't
upgraded yet.

Thanks
Warren

0
steelking75

I have done this frequently with a special  NLM/Driver from
Intel/Compaq.

IANS.LAN i belive is the driver that is used by either Compaq is
Intel.
It ships right on the driver disk for the Intel Server Nics.

--
Craig Wilson
CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA

Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
(I Peter 4:10)

0
Craig
7/11/2003 10:16:58 PM
There are 2 ways of doing load balancing:

1) You use Novell's load balancing solution which is available in NW
6,
but also in Nw 5.1 for SP4 or higher.
You can check the following (a bit weak though) documentation. While
it is
the Nw6 documentation, the same instructions apply to Nw 5.1 as well,
provided you have SP4 or later installed
http://www.novell.com/documentation/lg/nw6p/tcpipenu/data/acmwn54.html

One problem with Novell's load balancing solution is that it is kind
of
semi static and cannot guarantee good balancing on incoming traffic

2)  Vendor solutions:
Mainly Intel and Broadcom offer special load balancing and fault
tollerance drivers for their NICs. The server manufacturers (like HP)
that
use chips from these companies generally have customized versions of
these
drivers as well.
For instance, for Intel chips, there is the IANS.LAN driver, and the
HP
equivalent is CPQANS.LAN
For Broadcom, there is the BASP.LAN driver, and once again, ther is
aHP
version called QASP.LAN

--
Marcel (using XanaNews 1.15.3.1)
I can resist everything but temptation

0
Marcel
7/14/2003 9:11:50 AM
We're using Intel NIC's and I found the IANS.LAN driver w/
documentation
on setting it up.  Should make a nice weekend project...

Thanks to both of you for the info.

Warren

> There are 2 ways of doing load balancing:
>
> 1) You use Novell's load balancing solution which is available in NW
6,
> but also in Nw 5.1 for SP4 or higher.
> You can check the following (a bit weak though) documentation. While
it
is
> the Nw6 documentation, the same instructions apply to Nw 5.1 as
well,
> provided you have SP4 or later installed

http://www.novell.com/documentation/lg/nw6p/tcpipenu/data/acmwn54.html

> One problem with Novell's load balancing solution is that it is kind
of
> semi static and cannot guarantee good balancing on incoming traffic
>
> 2)  Vendor solutions:
> Mainly Intel and Broadcom offer special load balancing and fault
> tollerance drivers for their NICs. The server manufacturers (like
HP)
that
> use chips from these companies generally have customized versions of

these
> drivers as well.
> For instance, for Intel chips, there is the IANS.LAN driver, and the
HP
> equivalent is CPQANS.LAN
> For Broadcom, there is the BASP.LAN driver, and once again, ther is
aHP
> version called QASP.LAN
>
> --
> Marcel (using XanaNews 1.15.3.1)
> I can resist everything but temptation

0
steelking75
7/14/2003 4:15:30 PM
> We're using Intel NIC's and I found the IANS.LAN driver w/
documentation
> on setting it up.  Should make a nice weekend project...

I used it successfully. With some tweaking, it can even be integrated
into
INETCFG. However be sure you get the very latest drivers from Intel's
web
site, or IANS will stop working if you decide to apply NW51SP6
--
 Marcel Cox
 Using VA 5.51 build 315

0
Marcel

Single IP address to Multiple NICs
My servers Netbios name is BGRSVR-X, it currently has one IP address 192.168.1.224. There are several shares on the machine (it's running Suse 11.0 KDE3.5 by the way). My Linux "clients" connect to it using fstab and the IP address of the machine (for some reason i can't "find" it when i look for the netbios name?) example fstab would be something like:- \\192.168.1.224\music \home\badger_fruit\lan\music .... The problem is, as I get more content and the kids grow, there is more demand on the poor network card (the pc is good enough as it's 3ghz...

Local IP Addresses, multiple NICs
Hello, I'm trying to get the IP addresses of a local PC and I'm having trouble if the PC has more than one NIC card. I've tried using MSWINSCK.OCX and the LocalIP property and I've tried using pbsw32.dll and the GetHost function but both only seem to report back the first IP address found. Besides redirecting the output of an IPCONFIG /all to a file and reading it, does anyone know how to find out the IP addresses of a PC with more than one NIC? Thanks. Most routines that grab the IP address do so by calling gethostbyname and then examining the hostent str...

NetStorage on OES-Linux and multiple nics
Situation: Dual P3-1Ghz 1Gb RAM 200Gb RAID5 config and 2 logical volumes, (recycled nw4.x file server) OES/Linux new install of SP2 into existing OES/NW 6.5 tree. Got it right on the 4th retry. 2 logical drives are sda and sdb sda sda1 38Gb reiser as / sda2 1Gb swap sdb sdb1 160Gb NSS pool/volume All mount fine and are accessible on the inside network. A couple of NFS mount points are also exported as Netware volumes and these are also working fine. (1 from an Ingrasys NAS device and 1 from a Vax6000-440 via VMS-Vax 6.0 & Multinet.) 2 nics. We have 2 ...

configuring multiple ip addresses for a single domain in iis 7
consider some files of application placed in one machine , and the remaining files placed in another, how can i configure in iis so that pages in these two machine address behave as a single application?...

NetWare 6.5 Server Install
Hello, I just finished installing a NW 6.5 SP2 server that has two onboard Intel E100B Nic's. I configured them both for IP only and with the same IP address. I then went into INETCFG and enabled Load Balancing and Fault Tolerance. Both NIC's are on the same IP network at the switch, and communications seems to working fine. Did I configure everything correctly in using the same IP address on two nics and to have LB and FT? I've installed lots of NW servers, but never with two nics before for LB and FT. Also, I did apply the edir 8733 patch after installatio...

http accelerator/reverse proxy on bm 3.7 support support multiple domain names on one single ip address
hi please let me know if BM 3.7 , HTTP accelerator/reverse proxy support multiple domain names on single ip address thank you michel michel wrote: > please let me know if BM 3.7 , HTTP accelerator/reverse proxy support > multiple domain names on single ip address You can have multiple domain names that point to the *same* web server, sure, but I don't think that's what you want. If you're asking if it handles multihomed accelerators, no. The BM reverse-proxy is not 100% HTTP 1.1 compliant. You need the more sophisticated proxy capabilit...

Unique Problem
ASP newbie here - Hope someone has some insight. I've checked the threads for multiple communities, and haven't found a solution that works for me nor a description of a problem just exactly like this. I have two websites - lucidmoment.com and blossomhillcollies.com They work on the same server using host headers. I have a static page at both of those sites so I know IIS is working. I have installed CSK using blossomhillcollies.com, and that community seems to work fine. Using ISPAdmin, I tried adding a community for lucidmoment.com - that site either doesn't work or I am t...

How to Specify an IP address range for Network Address Restrictions in NetWare
I am looking for a way to restrict logins to my server from a range of different subnets. I found this tid http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10057948.htm but that is for restricting it to one subnet. Another consideration is we don't want this to impact ftp/ssh since we have some vendors that connect to us. Any ideas? Thanks in advance On 2/15/2007 Harold@askme.com wrote: > Any ideas? You should use FILTCFG instead. http://support.novell.com/docs/Tids/InfoDocument/2930996.html -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp ...

Bind EAServer to a given IP address on server with multiple IPs
Hello, The systems guy at my client has set up a new W2K3 server. He has assigned multiple IP addresses to this machine. He wants Jaguar to listen on port 80 on a single specific IP address, but not the others. Can/How do I accomplish this with EAS 5.3 ? Is it as simple as setting the listener.hostname to be the IP rather than ${JAGUAR_HOST_NAME} ? Thanks, D yep. -- Dean Jones CEO PowerObjects http://www.powerobjects.com (612) 339-3355 Ext. 112 TeamSybase * * Think Sybase * * "Daniel Coppersmith" <coppersmith2002_A_T_hotmail_D_O_T_N0SPA...

multiple ip addresses
netware 6.5 sp3 cluster 2 nodes i need to add a secondary ip address for clients accessing via what we will call a strange route multi homing the server is ok but is it possible to add a secondary ip address to the virtual server that represents the volume Terry, Yes, just add the extra commands to the volume resource load/unload scripts. Add secondary ipaddres= Del secondary ipaddress= Keep in mind though that all sec ip addresses must be in the same subnet. -- Peter vd Woude --------- Novell Support Forums SysOp --------- > netware 6.5 sp3 cluster 2 nodes &...

Single IP Address
Hi, I currently have BorderManager 3.8 on NW6.5 SP2 and would like to run it on a single IP address, currently I have 192.168.1.3 as my private address and 192.168.0.2 as my public address. I would like to remove the 192.168.0.0 network as we now have a hardware firewall and no need for the 192.168.0.0 network. I still want to use bordermanager for the proxy and access control features that it offers. If I remove the 192.168.0.0 address and preferably the extra nic can I still use the BM features that I require? If I can't remove the nic, would it still work with 2 add...

Single or multiple installs
If I am setting up DNN for several companies, should I do a separate installation of DNN/database for each company or just set up multiple parent sites in DNN against a single database? Can anyone fill me in on the pros and cons Thanks, Craig.  - Craig McGuff For me, it depends on the needs of the company: * if the company is small * if they only need a small site (ie a few pages) * i they don't need too many custom modules * if they don't want to pay for a full hosting package * if they don't need multiple portals themselves then i put them on a parent portal If any of tho...

Installing multiple DNNs on single SQL Server DB causes install error
Just ran into this one: when installing a second DNN pointing to an existing SQL db already holding another DNN installation I get the following error during install:00:00:18.736 - Executing Additional Scripts:00:00:18.746 -   Creating Portal: DotNetNuke Default Portal00:00:19.758 -   Error: INSERT statement conflicted with COLUMN FOREIGN KEY constraint 'FK_DMXTest_TabPermission_DMXTest_Permission'. The conflict occurred in database 'DMXP', table 'DMXTest_Permission', column 'PermissionID'. The statement has been terminated.00:00:19.758 -  &n...

Multiple IP addresses
Question: I have a server with two NICs -> 2 IP addresses. Now when I log on to the network as user1, and I ping the server, I always get response from IP address 1. When I log on as user2, I always get a reply from IP address 2. Can anyone tell me if this is a (strange) coincidence, or is this normal behaviour?!? BTW: user1 and user2 are in different contexts. user1 has admin rights, user2 has normal user rights. I tested this on several PCs on my network, but always get the same results as described above. (user1 -> IP address 1, user2 -> IP address 2) If it is norm...

Web resources about - Multiple NIC/Single IP address - novell.netware.5x.install

Multiple sequence alignment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A multiple sequence alignment (MSA) is a sequence alignment of three or more biological sequences , generally protein , DNA , or RNA . In many ...

Jakarta attacks: Multiple bombs hit Indonesian capital
ISIS has claimed responsibility for the grenades and crude homemade bombs used to stage a Paris-style attack in a busy business and shopping ...

Jakarta attacks: seven dead in multiple attacks linked to Islamic State
Jakarta is on highest possible alert for terrorism, after multiple explosions hit Central Jakarta on Thursday.

Jakarta attacks: seven dead in multiple attacks linked to Islamic State
Seven people have been killed in a terrorist attack in central Jakarta, including five who are believed to be perpetrators linked to the Islamic ...

Feature Request: Apple TV 4 needs a way to watch TV shows from multiple sources in one universal app
... coverage of AAPL Company , Apps , and iOS . What do you think? Discuss "Feature Request: Apple TV 4 needs a way to watch TV shows from multiple ...

Google Seeks Multiple Auto Partners for Self-Driving Car Unit
Google hopes to form partnerships with many automakers and suppliers as it develops self-driving cars to reduce traffic accidents and expand ...

Multiple Explosions, Gunfire Rock Jakarta In Deadly ISIS-Claimed Attack
At least seven people died, including five assailants, a police spokeperson said. Multiple explosions and a gun battle rocked Jakarta, the capital ...

Ramon Foster: Multiple Bengals Spit On Steelers, Not Just Burfict
Steelers OL Ramon Foster joins The Fan Morning Show

Jamie-Lynn Sigler says she has multiple sclerosis
The actress ​said that she has been living with MS for 15 years.

Flair’s Smart Vent System Controls the Temperature in Multiple Rooms
This time last year, we took a look at how Keen Home was changing up smart home temperature control with their KeenVent , a smart vent that could ...