Creating generic home directorys for users

Hi,

I work in a university lab environment. I am in the planning process
of
pushing 20000 student accounts from a separate LDAP box to my
Netware5.1
Edir server.

In the current system users login using generic accounts which map
generic
home directories, though this will change when their accounts are
merged
into the tree, allowing them to login with their own unique username
an
password. Due to a limited amount of space on my servers I cannot
spare the
space to give each student account their own home directory. Therefore
I am
looking for a way in which I can create a generic mapped drive which
is
machine specific rather than user specific.

ie: JohnH logs into machine name "Mars10" and the home directory is
set to
USERS\mars10 directory.

Can the home directory be linked to the workstation object rather than
the
user?

Thanks

Liz

0
Liz

sure...

it's been so long since i've done this so i forget the exact login
script variable but this shold be easily done once you look that up.

you would create directories based on the workstation variable, for
all
the PCs you have.

in the login script you would map a drive to the specific directory:
"map h:=server\vol\%workstation" or whatever.

note that you would have to grant all users access to all drives.

--
Cheers!
    Richard Beels

0
Richard
10/29/2003 4:26:06 PM
I checked out the variables, so in theory should this work:

"map h:=%FILESERVER%\USERVOL\%COMPUTER_NAME%"

Thanks for you help.

"Richard Beels [SysOp]" <rbeels@dsi-consulting.net> wrote in message

> sure...
>
> it's been so long since i've done this so i forget the exact login
> script variable but this shold be easily done once you look that up.

> you would create directories based on the workstation variable, for
all
> the PCs you have.
>
> in the login script you would map a drive to the specific directory:

> "map h:=server\vol\%workstation" or whatever.
>
> note that you would have to grant all users access to all drives.
>

> --
> Cheers!
>     Richard Beels
>     http://www.dsi-consulting.com
>     Collaboration without complication

0
Liz
10/29/2003 11:02:48 PM
yes, it should.  let us know if you need more help.

--
Cheers!
    Richard Beels
    http://www.dsi-consulting.com
    Collaboration without complication

0
Richard

Create Directory in Users Home Directory
Hello I was wondering if there was an easy way of creating a directory and coping a file to it in each users home directory, using the login script? Could I just run a batch file like this: @echo off dir F:\homedir\test\test.file 1>2> nul if errorlevel=1 goto test goto end :test mkdir f:\homedir\test xcopy f:\test\test.file f:\homedir\test goto end :end Or is there an easier way? Thanks Jtk, > Or is there an easier way? > ZEN for Desktops... But you can do it with a batch file. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop (...

Creating a user directory other than home directory
Hey there, I have a two-fold problem. I have JRB utilities but I can not see how to make this work. We created a directory in the users home directory. We want to move all these directories out into another main directory and have the same file rights. Plus, when we add new users, we want this directory to be created automatically. Each teacher has a directory called GQWIN in their home directory. This is their gradebook. We want to move all of the teachers gradebooks into one central "Gradebook" directory, then their username, then the GQWIN directory. Curren...

Creating a Home Directory for a user in iManager
I'm setting up some custom user creation tasks in iManager 2.0.2 and having trouble with the creation of user home directories. The problem is described in TID 10092408 in scenario 3 where the home directory is located on a NetWare 6.5 cluster volume. I've looked at the other issues re rights to the file system to create the folder and set the access rights but this is all ok. I have tested this with NetWare 6.5 SP3 which the article indicates should resolve the problem (an update to NCPIP.NLM) and I have also tested this with NetWare 6.5 SP4. Does anyone know wheth...

creating users and home directory ownership
All of our users have me or another IT staff as owner of their home directories after we created them in consoleone. how do we change this on a large scale? why does this happen? one way that I can manually change is flag.exe user1 /name=user1.context , but I'd prefer not to have to do this for every user. The other problem is, if a IT staff member leaves and their account is deleted, the ownder of the directory becomes garbage (something like ___*!___ ) what am i doing wrong? cperry@hmdc.harvard.edu wrote: > All of our users have me or another IT staff as owne...

iManager can not creat User Home Directory
When attempting to create a User with iManager, I get the following error: Error: error due creating user home directory. We have NW 6.5 SP1, eDirectory 8.7.4. Have anybody an idea what I do wrong? Fari, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support tools and options avail...

Errors with user templates when creating home directories...
Hello, we have a Netware 6.5 SP2 Cluster with 4 Nodes. We want to create users with use of a template. The user home directories should be created on a Cluster-Volume (SAN). We get the follwing error messages: ConsoleOne 1.36c = unable to process request; file not found iManager 2.02 = Error: The create user's home directory failed The user is created but the home directory was not created. On a non Clustered-Volume everything works fine. Any Ideas? This is a known bug that is being worked on, but there is no fix or ETA for one at present. It's not even clea...

Install into user's HOME directory?

Automatically creating user home directory w/ ice
I used ice to import multiple users into nds from a ldif file. I was able to associate the home directory path with the user through the ndsHomeDirectory attribute in the ldif file. However, I want it to also create the actual user document directory folder on the server. Right now it imports the path but doesn't create the actual folder. Is there a way to do this? steve@nospam.com wrote: > I used ice to import multiple users into nds from a ldif file. I was able > to associate the home directory path with the user through the > ndsHomeDirectory attribute in...

User Home Directory Can't be Created
We're having a problem whereby when we create a new user, user's home directory is not being created. Novell Netware 6.5 SP7 Novell eDirectory 8.7 Latest ConsoleOne Any idea or suggestion? -- Herry Bin Sarip System Engineer Email : herry@zen.com.my ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Athlon crazy, > We're having a problem whereby when we create a new user, user's home > directory is not being created. > Now do you create this user? Ie with what tool? NWadmin32, ConsoleOne, iManager, Other.. - And...

iManager can not creat User Home Directory II
Now I find out that iManager can not create user home directory on a Netware Cluster Volume. Is there any fixes for iManager to fix this greate problem? Thank, Fari Fari, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support tools and options available at http://support.novell.com in b...

CSV imports, templates, home directories and creating Groupwise users
Hi, Firstly, thanks for providing such a valuable resource. You guys are excellent! :) Our initial IDM implementation consisted of just a link to active directory, but we've been working on creating users from CSV. The basic account creation is now happening fine, and I'm getting new users in EDirectory, and subsequently AD. Is it possible to create users in this way through standard EDirectory templates, perhaps per department indicated in the CSV? I'd like to automate the creation of home directories. Also I'd like to create a groupwise account, but our s...

Active Directory user home directory
Hi all. I have a question, how to sync home directorires of users from Identity Vault to Active Directory? Into AD there are 2 LDAP attributes calleds homeDrive (the network drive letter) and homeDirectory that is the network path used to map during user login. My doubt is about the eDirectory volume information. The volume will be not sync to the AD because AD does not recognize this information, right? So, how to sync? I was thinking about create 2 eDirectory attributes where I can write theese informations. What do you think about this? Anyone can help me? Best regards...

Easy way to create a folder in every users Home directory
Is there an easy way to create a folder in every users home directory? I am trying to set it so that their Internet Explorer favorites point to a folder on their home directory. The other question is when you create a user template can you have that template create the folder in that user home directory? -- thang On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 18:59:03 +0000, thang wrote: > Is there an easy way to create a folder in every users home directory? I > am trying to set it so that their Internet Explorer favorites point to a > folder on their home directory. If you're u...

how to create page for creating active directory account and integrate in create user page
hi all...am bit new to this share point server. can someone please tell me how to create a page for creting an activie directory account for sharepoint server ie.s sps 3.0.. i ve installed sharepoint service 3.0 on my server for for creatign users i need to do it manually get into the server and create user. but in sme other site its is given a seperate page for creating user and sending invitaion to user to user the site.. and the pass and userid and others ll be sent automatically to their id..i need to like tat .. can you plz help me...thnkx----Jai---------http://www.jayaraja.comh...

Web resources about - Creating generic home directorys for users - novell.netware.5x.install

Wikipedia:Quick directory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page is a handy directory to various locations of interest in Wikipedia. Only dynamic pages should be listed here, no policy pages etc. ...

Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Business Directory Listings: Eight Smart Tips for You to Get Started
If you are considering a business directory listing for your small business, congratulations – you are on the right track. Local SEO, local customers, ...

LinkedIn Lookup iOS app aims to replace your company’s awful intranet employee directory
... continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "LinkedIn Lookup iOS app aims to replace your company’s awful intranet employee directory" ...

Atlas Partner Directory Launched
... just for Facebook and Instagram –advertising platform Atlas has one, as well. On that note, Atlas Tuesday introduced the Atlas Partner Directory ...

Slack announces App Directory store
... create more apps for the store, and a new framework called Botkit which should simplify the process of creating apps. The Slack App Directory, ...

The British Library’s ‘Save Our Sounds’ Program Creates Directory of UK Sound Collections
The long-feared deterioration of the world's sound collections is a coming to a head with the British Library's last-ditch initiative called ...

Researchers show how to steal Windows Active Directory credentials from the Internet
... showed at the Black Hat security conference. The attack, called an SMB relay, causes a Windows computer that's part of an Active Directory ...

Researchers find way to steal Windows Active Directory credentials from the Internet
The technique could enable attackers to attack Windows servers hosted in the cloud

Slack's App Directory proves it's more than just a chatroom
... are about to get a little easier to find and integrate within your team and over 160 of them live within the company's new Slack App Directory. ...