Timesync Question

Running Netware 5.0 sp6a with all the recommend post SP6a patches.
(os5pt2a.exe, wsock4f.exe, flsysft3.exe,
ts524o.exe & a few others )

The timesync on the Netware server is working great.

Now the problem comes in where I have a NT box also. It automatically
logs
into the Netware server. What I want to do is sync the NT box to the
Novell
box. I have tried a few things, but I am just guessing. What I did was

install one of the many freeware products for timesync & tried putting
the
IP of the Netware server into the timesync client on the NT box (using
port
123) & tried that. It did not work.

I know it should be possable to easily do this, but it has me lost.

Any suggestions?

0
James
3/24/2003 3:43:30 PM
novell.netware.5x.admin-tools 3683 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:43:30 GMT, "James Cook" <jamesc@cvm-inc.com>
wrote:

>Now the problem comes in where I have a NT box also. It automatically
logs
>into the Netware server. What I want to do is sync the NT box to the
Novell
>box. I have tried a few things, but I am just guessing. What I did
was
>install one of the many freeware products for timesync & tried
putting the
>IP of the Netware server into the timesync client on the NT box
(using port
>123) & tried that. It did not work.

Does TID 10018288
(http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10018288.htm)

help?

--
Donald Albury
Novell Product Support Volunteer SysOp

0
Donald
3/24/2003 6:19:21 PM
Donald,
Yes, that does get me closer in the direction that I want to go.

[quote from that TID]
Additionally, a NetWare server (or even other platforms) in your
network may
be configured as an NTP time provider.  This eliminates the need to go
the Internet, and will allow your network to maintain time in an
independent
fashion, if so desired. [/quote]
I guess what I want to do is configure the Netware server to be a NTP
time
provider for the NT box, instead of having 2 machines access the
internet to
do so, only the Novell box would be.

So, how would I configure the Netware server to be a NTP time
provider?

Thanks,

James

> Does TID 10018288

(http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10018288.htm)

> help?
>
> --
> Donald Albury
> Novell Product Support Volunteer SysOp
> Sorry, no e-mail support provided

0
James
3/24/2003 6:42:31 PM
On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:42:31 GMT, "James Cook" <jamesc@cvm-inc.com>
wrote:

>So, how would I configure the Netware server to be a NTP time
provider?

It already should be one.  IIRC, 5.24o is a version of timesync that
does work correctly in making the NetWare server an NTP time server.
So just point the NTP service on the NT server to port 123 on the NW
server's IP address.

--
Donald Albury
Novell Product Support Volunteer SysOp
Sorry, no e-mail support provided

0
Donald
3/24/2003 7:02:42 PM
Ok, i was having problems with the clock on the Netware server. That
issue
is now resolved. However, I am still not able to use the Netware
server as a
NTP source for the NT box. I point the NTP service to the correct IP
address
using port 123 & no go. Something is up with the bios on the NT box,
the
damn thing loses apporx 10sec/day. Right now I do have it sync'ing
with the
same outside timesource as the Netware box, but it would be nice to
get it
working with the Novell side of things.

0
James
3/28/2003 4:31:25 PM
On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 16:31:25 GMT, "James Cook" <jamesc@cvm-inc.com>
wrote:

>Ok, i was having problems with the clock on the Netware server. That
issue
>is now resolved. However, I am still not able to use the Netware
server as a
>NTP source for the NT box. I point the NTP service to the correct IP
address
>using port 123 & no go. Something is up with the bios on the NT box,
the
>damn thing loses apporx 10sec/day. Right now I do have it sync'ing
with the
>same outside timesource as the Netware box, but it would be nice to
get it
>working with the Novell side of things.

I don't know how I can help you with this.  If timesync is running on
the NW server, then it should be acting as an NTP source.  There is
nothing that I know of to do on the NW server to affect that.  If
there is a solution, it is with the configuration of the NTP client on

the Windows server.

--
Donald Albury
Novell Technical Support Volunteer SysOp