Slow...slow...slow

What could be the cause to slow down the Netware server.
Any command type on the console it takes quite sometime to execute.
Sometime
take couple of minutes. I had unload all the services & modules. I had
run
the RAID check consistency & vrepair, but no help.
The server is installed with NW5.1 SP4 & running BM3.5 sp3 but i had
unload
the BM modules.

0
William
9/4/2003 11:56:39 AM
novell.netware.5x.admin-tools 3683 articles. 0 followers. Follow

William C. wrote:
> What could be the cause to slow down the Netware server.
> Any command type on the console it takes quite sometime to execute.
Sometime
> take couple of minutes. I had unload all the services & modules. I
had run
> the RAID check consistency & vrepair, but no help.
> The server is installed with NW5.1 SP4 & running BM3.5 sp3 but i had
unload
> the BM modules.

Most likely something is still running that is thrashing the
processor.
  Have you rebooted the server entirely?  What precipitated the slow
down?  Did you change anything?  Add anything?

-andy

0
Andy
9/4/2003 12:10:29 PM
Haver you looked in monitor to see who's eating CPU time?  HAve you
looked
there to see if memory is leaking somewhere?  How's the free space on
Sys
and your data volumes?
--
Dave Lunn
NSF SysOp

0
Dave
9/4/2003 1:00:36 PM
Yes, i did shutdown & restart the machine numerous time. After
restart, it
works fine but after sometime it slow down. I did not change or add
anything. It just happens like that.

"Andy Thompson (NSC Sysop)" <thompson@nscsysop.com> wrote in message
> William C. wrote:
> > What could be the cause to slow down the Netware server.
> > Any command type on the console it takes quite sometime to
execute.
Sometime
> > take couple of minutes. I had unload all the services & modules. I
had
run
> > the RAID check consistency & vrepair, but no help.
> > The server is installed with NW5.1 SP4 & running BM3.5 sp3 but i
had
unload
> > the BM modules.
>
> Most likely something is still running that is thrashing the
processor.
>   Have you rebooted the server entirely?  What precipitated the slow

> down?  Did you change anything?  Add anything?
>
> -andy

0
William
9/5/2003 2:38:46 AM
There's alot of free space in SYS & DATA volumes.
Now the slow performance is intermitent.

"Dave Lunn" <dlunn@NOSPAMmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Haver you looked in monitor to see who's eating CPU time?  HAve you
looked
> there to see if memory is leaking somewhere?  How's the free space
on Sys
> and your data volumes?
> --
> Dave Lunn
> NSF SysOp
> http://support.novell.com

0
William
9/5/2003 3:53:44 AM
I noticed at the "Processor Information" the Processor 0 Utilization
is 100%
while Processor 1 Utilization is always 0%. Processor 0 Utilization
stay
high for sometime & goes down again & high again after sometime.
How should i troubleshoot this problem?

0
William

"William C." wrote:

> I noticed at the "Processor Information" the Processor 0 Utilization
is 100%
> while Processor 1 Utilization is always 0%. Processor 0 Utilization
stay
> high for sometime & goes down again & high again after sometime.
> How should i troubleshoot this problem?

Have you checked in MOnitor what is using the CPU as Dave suggested?

Also, do you have "set client file caching enabled=off"?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

0
Massimo
9/5/2003 10:30:12 AM
You dont.
The Core OS of NW5 is not designed to really take advantage of the 2nd
CPU,
though some add on programs such as GroupWise running on the server
may.
NW6 will make better use of the 2nd CPU.

Is "Set Client File Caching Enabled = Off" set?  - If Not, I would try
and do
this.

Are Available Cache Buffers Dropping signficantly over time?
Is the LRU Sitting time getter very low?

Both could be signs of a memory leak.............

"William C." wrote:

> I noticed at the "Processor Information" the Processor 0 Utilization
is 100%
> while Processor 1 Utilization is always 0%. Processor 0 Utilization
stay
> high for sometime & goes down again & high again after sometime.
> How should i troubleshoot this problem?

--
Craig Wilson
CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA

Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
(I Peter 4:10)

0
Craig
9/5/2003 10:31:09 AM
William,

The next step is to disable the second processor since it contributes
nothing and only clutters the landscape to troubleshoot this.

Massimo and Craig both mentioned client file caching:

At the console:  Set client file caching enabled = off

Andy suggested that something is tying up the CPU, your utilization
numbers
confirm that

My steps would be to down the server, run VRepair with write all
directory
and FAT entries out to disk = on.

Bring the server back up and turn off SMP (your second processor)
then set
client filec caching enabled = off.

I would then immediately record the top ten memory users and CPU
kernel
processes, cache buffers % and then wait.

If it does it again check the cpu processes and memory for change and
record
it.

If it continues to work well, the very last thing I would put back to
normal
would be enabling the second CPU.
--
Dave Lunn
NSF SysOp

0
Dave
9/5/2003 11:49:20 AM
Please download fconfig3.exe from the File Finder on
support.novell.com. Extract it into the SYSTEM directory and from the
console run Load Config /c. Post the resulting config.txt file from
the
SYS:SYSTEM directory here, deleting your serial number and any public
IP addresses first. Ignore messages on the console about CLIBAUX.NLM.
Thanks.
--
 Andrew C Taubman
 Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp

 OneNet is better than nothing.NET

 Opinions expressed in the above text are not
 necessarily those of Novell Inc.

0
Andrew
9/8/2003 12:34:25 AM
When the machine slow down. On the Monitor, Kernel, under Buiest
Threads and
Interrupt on Processor 0", the "Server 00:00" is always on the top
(19,774,804). Is there something wrong?

"William C." <chongcmw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I noticed at the "Processor Information" the Processor 0 Utilization
is
100%
> while Processor 1 Utilization is always 0%. Processor 0 Utilization
stay
> high for sometime & goes down again & high again after sometime.
> How should i troubleshoot this problem?

0
William
9/11/2003 8:01:36 AM
This would be normal.
An internal Server function involving something along the lines of
file
reads/writes or network traffic.

Do you notice dirty cache buffers rising significantly at this time?
How about network traffic as shown in monitor under your NIC stats?

"William C." wrote:

> When the machine slow down. On the Monitor, Kernel, under Buiest
Threads and
> Interrupt on Processor 0", the "Server 00:00" is always on the top
> (19,774,804). Is there something wrong?
>
> "William C." <chongcmw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I noticed at the "Processor Information" the Processor 0
Utilization is
> 100%
> > while Processor 1 Utilization is always 0%. Processor 0
Utilization stay
> > high for sometime & goes down again & high again after sometime.
> > How should i troubleshoot this problem?

--
Craig Wilson
CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA
NSC Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/)

Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
(I Peter 4:10)

0
Craig

Slow, slow, slow
Name: Joe Goddard Email: sgoddar1atsandotrrdotcom Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: Slow, slow, slow Comments: I just installed Firefox 3 beta 1. The start up is still painfully slow compared to Safari. Is this software "bloat"? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9b1) Gecko/2007110903 Firefox/3.0b1 ...

Slow, slow, slow
Name: Joe Goddard Email: sgoddar1atsandotrrdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Slow, slow, slow Comments: I just installed Firefox 3 beta 1. The start up is still painfully slow compared to Safari. Is this software "bloat"? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9b1) Gecko/2007110903 Firefox/3.0b1 ...

TOO SLOW SLOW SLOW
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: TOO SLOW SLOW SLOW Comments: I'm sending this because i have always been a Firefox user but recently I have been disappointed in how slow or delayed it has become. at the present time I have switched to usimg Google Chrome because of its quick response time,however I often check back to see if this problem has resolved. As present I don't see any improvement but I hope this issue is addressed and resolved so I can return to Firefox. Thanks and Good Luck!! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) G...

Slow slow slow
Name: Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Slow slow slow Comments: Firefox has gotten so slow as of late it's incredible. I've had switch back over to safari for some tasks just so I can say... look something up on IMDb. I still love you firefox! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2b5) Gecko/20091204 Firefox/3.6b5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it...

slow.....slow.....slow
Name: Jack Inyart Email: jackatmacinyartdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: slow.....slow.....slow Comments: I recently downloaded and installed FireFox 3. I am so very disapppointed in the product, in contrast to my previous experiences with FF2. Firefox 3 is so slow to load any page that I am seriously considering returning to either Internet Explorer or, if possible, removing FF3 and returning to FF2 if that would be possible. I have been running comparisons on "time to load" between FF3 and IE 7 and the IE 7 loads pages in about 1/10 to 1/5 the time that ...

Slow, Slow, Slow....
For some unknown reason, Thunderbird is running as slow as molasses=92...Is there anything that can be done to speed the emailer up?? Thank You.. On 05/07/2011 10:26 AM, Navy wrote: > For some unknown reason, Thunderbird is running as slow as > molasses�...Is there anything that can be done to speed the emailer > up?? > > Thank You.. > This could be related to your other problem so take it one thing at a time. Under Help menu, open troubleshooting information and paste it to another post here. Might show something (BTW, while there, Opening Containing Fo...

slow slow slow
Name: Alex Fitzsimmons Email: monkeyboyfactoryatnetscapedotnet Product: Firefox Summary: slow slow slow Comments: Since the last batch of updates were released (2007) all my Mozilla software has started to experience painful opening procedures. What did you guys do? These programs now take forever to open. Sometimes it is more effective to shut it down and use the 2nd attempt to open the software. Mozilla is the ONLY program that has developed this problem. I am disappointed because it has driven my girlfriend (A Mac using Video/Visual artist) to go back to using IE. Now tha...

Slow slow very slow
Hi I have updated my opensuse 11.2 to 11.3. i use it on HP Laptop pavillion when the PC boot, i wait at least 5 min before to get kdm screen login i have look at the boot text console, and saw opensuse is block on line sm_notify " "idmapd" any idea ? i don't think is a nfs problem but ? regards -- Enthalpie ------------------------------------------------------------------------ What is the output of: Code: -------------------- rpm -qa | grep courier-imap -------------------- and Code: -------------------- ...

slow, slow, slow!!!
Name: Phil Mishler Email: pmish20atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: slow, slow, slow!!! Comments: Just installed Firefox 3.6 beta 5. Three times I closed it out and reloaded. Each time it took 2 min. 15 sec. to load. Chrome takes 2 seconds. Guess which I will use. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2b5) Gecko/20091204 Firefox/3.6b5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (...

Slow slow slow
Name: Mathieu Product: eBay Companion Summary: Slow slow slow Comments: It makes my browser extremely slow!!!!! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; nl; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 Hi Mathieu, Do you have many items on my eBay? If not, what other extensions do you have? Thanks! On May 9, 8:32 am, Mathieu <hendrix-no-replyatmozilladotorg> wrote: > Name: Mathieu > Product: eBay Companion > Summary: Slow slow slow > > Comments: > It makes my browser extremely slow!!!!! > > Browser Details: Mozilla/5...

SLOW SLOW SLOW
Name: Tom Horstman Email: th577atyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: SLOW SLOW SLOW Comments: I have been a user for 2-3 years. It seams that each "new" version gets slower and slower to load the pages. The latest is the slowest. Just some feed back to think about. MS Explorer is now much faster than Firefox. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 ...

slow slow slow #5
Name: Matt Product: Firefox Summary: slow slow slow Comments: I'm running version 3.5.8 and its horrifically slow at the moment. I'm on a macbook running snow leopard, and firefox regularly pulls 100% of my processor power for no apparent reason. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.8) Gecko/20100202 Firefox/3.5.8 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Slow, slow, slow #5
Name: Lucio Email: luciobrfatyahoodotcomdotbr Product: Firefox Summary: Slow, slow, slow Comments: I had Firefox as my default browser. Now I have changed it to Internet Explorer 8, because I'm tired of sluggishness. And now I uninstalled it completely, after trying everything thas was suggested in many forums, sites and discussions. Firefox IS slower than IE8. I would like to know when, if ever, Mozilla is going to fix that big bug. I am (was) using version 3.6.10, so it is not a problem of old version. I used Firefox on Windows XP and also Windows 7, with same re...

slow slow slow #6
Name: Bob Email: rrsorslsatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: slow slow slow Comments: Slow, slower, slowest.. OMG too painful Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.4) Gecko/20100611 Firefox/3.6.4 What the heck, I am about to delete from my system Was best, browser, now to painful Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.4) Gecko/20100611 (CK-lockheed) Firefox/3.6.4 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one...

Web resources about - Slow...slow...slow - novell.netware.5x.admin-tools

Slow sand filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Slow sand filters are used in water purification for treating raw water to produce a potable product. They are typically 1 to 2 metres deep, ...

Facebook User Growth Rate Slows In April, But Does It Matter?
According to the latest figures from comScore , Facebook’s user growth figures for April were down dramatically, with the social network up just ...

Facebook account VERY SLOW on all browsers - Facebook-Hilfeforum - Facebook
Access to FB account is EXTREMELY slow. So slow that most of th time cannot do anything; the "wait" mouse icon never goes away and FB does not ...

Departure of Facebook iPad Developer Highlights the Company’s Slow-Moving Mobile Strategy
The lead engineer behind Facebook’s yet-to-be-launched native iPad application left the company out of frustration with continual delays around ...

Discovery Slow Down (@theslowdownshow) on Twitter

A Common Sense Solution to Slow Airplane Boarding
Boarding airplanes has slowed down in recent years, and lately there’s been a lot of chatter about whether airlines can find ingenious, creative, ...

West Indies, Jason Holder fined for slow over rate against Australia
... on Sunday. West Indies captain Jason Holder's week went from bad to worse on Sunday when he was fined 60 percent of his match fee for a slow ...

Share fall may slow 'Santa rally' amid rough ride for oil
Hefty falls on Wall Street and further bad news for BHP from the Samarco disaster will put Australian shares under pressure on Monday.

Australian blue-banded bee's head-banging pollination technique captured in slow motion video
Honeybees might get all the rock star attention, but the humble Australian native blue-banded bee is a true head banger.

Peace Corps red tape blamed for slow medical help after service - Videos - CBS News
An internal Peace Corps report exposes deep problems at the agency when it comes to health care for volunteers returning home. Each year, some ...