single XP local profile / multiple Netware users password problem

Hey. I'm using NW5.1 here and I've been having this problem lately :
I needed to create some new accounts, where the client would ask the user
to chose its password at first login. This was no problem with win9x. It
creates a local profiles with the same username as the NW account and
everything's fine. Now with XP, I need everyone to use the same local
profile on any given computer (for example, everyone logging onto
"Workstation1" will use the "WS1" local profile). The problem is that the
client seems to automatically make the NW account's password match with the
local profile password when the user logs into Netware for the first time
(and is asked to chose a new password). Everything goes fine afterwards, no
matter what the local profile's password is, but I have to reset it every
time a new user choses its NW password on a machine that runs XP.
Hmmm... I'm probably missing something, so if someone smarter than me has a
suggestion, an advice of some sort... a solution? Encouragements are
welcome too. :)

G.FERAL
0
g_feral
1/4/2005 1:12:42 PM
novell.netware.5x.admin-tools 3683 articles. 0 followers. Follow

 news://support-forums.novell.com/novell.support.netware.client.winnt-2x-xp  is
probably the best forum.

Please note if you have any version of ZENworks on your network - This could
help simplify your issue.

With XP, unlike 9x, a Windows itself requires a local account to exist to logon
to the box.
ZENworks can help auto-create that account.
W/O ZEN, you will likely need to use "AutoAdminLogon" to assist in the use of a
generic account for all.
The use of an Windows Domain could also assist if you lack ZEN.

The forum above would probably be best to hash out the details.

g_feral@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hey. I'm using NW5.1 here and I've been having this problem lately :
> I needed to create some new accounts, where the client would ask the user
> to chose its password at first login. This was no problem with win9x. It
> creates a local profiles with the same username as the NW account and
> everything's fine. Now with XP, I need everyone to use the same local
> profile on any given computer (for example, everyone logging onto
> "Workstation1" will use the "WS1" local profile). The problem is that the
> client seems to automatically make the NW account's password match with the
> local profile password when the user logs into Netware for the first time
> (and is asked to chose a new password). Everything goes fine afterwards, no
> matter what the local profile's password is, but I have to reset it every
> time a new user choses its NW password on a machine that runs XP.
> Hmmm... I'm probably missing something, so if someone smarter than me has a
> suggestion, an advice of some sort... a solution? Encouragements are
> welcome too. :)
>
> G.FERAL

0
Craig
1/4/2005 1:22:09 PM

news://support-forums.novell.com/novell.support.netware.client.winnt-2x-xp  is
> probably the best forum.
>
> Please note if you have any version of ZENworks on your network - This could
> help simplify your issue.
>
> With XP, unlike 9x, a Windows itself requires a local account to exist to
logon
> to the box.
> ZENworks can help auto-create that account.
> W/O ZEN, you will likely need to use "AutoAdminLogon" to assist in the
use of a
> generic account for all.
> The use of an Windows Domain could also assist if you lack ZEN.
>
> The forum above would probably be best to hash out the details.

Actually, I think I have some old limited version of ZEN somewhere around
here, I'll see if it helps. I'll also check these support forums out and
see if I can learn anything useful there. Thanks a lot.

G.FERAL
0
g_feral

xp and netware
We run XP workstations for our clients connecting to our Novell network. The problem is that our users get the workstation login message and if they click to synch with novell on login, then the next user cannot access the workstation as they dont know the new workstation password. we could use the autoadmin workaround but we dont want the users logging on with admin priveleges With AutoAdminLogon, you can specify any user. The user need not be a member of the administrator's group. thomas_stilinovich@health.qld.gov.au wrote: > We run XP workstations for our clients c...

NetWare Servr Only
We only have a NetWare Server (that will be updated to OES2 at a later date. We need to have a few Windows XP PCs setup so when I login into my tree using the Novell Client, that I also log into the local windows XP PC. Are there settings somewhere that I need to review? I can't use a generic windows local ID because the local ID needs adinistrator privileges and I don't want to setup a local ID with no password where it could be accessed by anyone Any suggestions? IDM, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That...

Netware 5 User profile problems in 2000
Hi, I'm trying to write a batch file that I can give to end users to get them to clear up their profiles. I'm assuming that the users have local window 2000 admin accounts, the script below renames the local profile from the machine: @echo off CLS :LOOP SET Choice= SET /P Choice=Please enter Novell username and press Enter: echo %choice% d: cd D:\Documents and Settings set randnum=%random% if exist %choice% rename %choice% %choice%%random% net user %choice% /delete What I haven't been able to do is write a script to login into the user's home...

Creating Roaming Profiles for 2K and XP with no domain (for netware users)
We are currently running Netware 5.0 with a variety of win2k and winXP workstations. Our current configuration has a local account set up on every workstation for the user who normally uses that computer. I'd quite like for my users to be able to go to any computer on the network and log in. Is there a way in a non-domain environment for me to set up something simlar to "roaming profiles" that can be pulled from the netware server when a person logs in? I've tried looking in the knowledgebase, but haven't found what I am looking for. If it is there, and I...

login script provided--User cannnot login as local user the script fails but can login as local admin on xp pc
> Hi all > the error is as follows > novell client scripts has encountered a problem > and needs to close > the exception unknow s/w exception 0xc06d007e > occured in the application at location ox77e738b2 > I have never seen this before and i have tried reinstalling the cleint > but it didnt work. This occurs when the user ins logged into a xp pro pc > as a user though it doesnt occur when logged in as a local admin on the > box. this is only happening on one box. > Login script is below > MAP ERROR OFF BREAK OFF if member of ".every...

NetWare to NetWare file copy problem
Hello All, We are trying to copy files from a Netware 6.5 server (SP6) to a newer NetWare 6.5 (SP7) server. We are copying an entire volume, VOL1. The source server has a 33GB volume with about 4GB of free space. When we start the copy the disk space on the source server drops and eventually the copy stops when space on the source server runs out. The destination servers volume is 200GB, so I have no idea why the source server is running out of space. We are doing the copy from a Windows XP PC, and to me it looks like the Netware server is doing some type of caching but not ...

Migrate Netware 6 users to Netware 6
I am setting up a new Netware 6 server replacing our old hardware. I have alredy installed and have the new server running. All I need is to be able to copy the existing instructor accounts over. Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks Dave. David, > I am setting up a new Netware 6 server replacing our old hardware. I have > alredy installed and have the new server running. All I need is to be able > to copy the existing instructor accounts over. Is there an easy way to do > this? > The migration wizard. Download from Novell. Read the manual. - An...

legacy netware users from netware 4 days
Anyone come across some users who cannot login to the agent ? Other users on same machines function fine ! Make sure the "other name" field is not filled in. That can mess with LDAP lookups for that user since it is giving the user an additional CN. -- Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop Novell does not officially monitor these forums. Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own. These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human. <phoenix@rise.net.au> wrote in message news:Ag2Fk.1...

Single Users Profile and All Users Profiles List
I've made a discussion forum. And I have also installed simply asp.net membership. Now I want after click on user link to redirect to the page with User's info.I have simply user "John" and user "Bob" and everyone can click on those names and will see page with informations stored in Profile (Like Profile.Name, Profile.Address). I have three simply question:1. How to show profile values of other User ? Like I wrote above.2. How to list all users with for example their e-mails ? I mean: UserLogin - UserName - UserMail3. Or the easier way is to make new table with those all information an...

script fails when user logged in as a user on a XP Pro Pc but not when a local admin
Hi all the error is as follows novell client scripts has encountered a problem and needs to close the exception unknow s/w exception 0xc06d007e occured in the application at location ox77e738b2 I have never seen this before and i have tried reinstalling the cleint but it didnt work. This occurs when the user ins logged into a xp pro pc as a user though it doesnt occur when logged in as a local admin on the box. this is only happening on one box. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----- Legal | Privacy | Accessibility C...

script fails when user logged in as a user on a XP Pro Pc but not when a local admin #2
The error is as follows: Novell Client login scripts has encountered a problem and needs to close. The error is The exception unknown software exception 0xc06d007e occured in he application at location 0x77e738b2. This occurs for a regular user account. but not as admin. I have recreated the account in console one and gotten the same error. I have also tried just deleting the local profile but that didnt work either. im also useing the latest zenworks 6.5 client. MAP ERROR OFF BREAK OFF if member of ".everyone.groups.ou.o" then begin # \\serverzen\VOL1 \Applicati...

Migration Tool for NetWare problem...
First of all, is this where I should post this? As for the issue, we're looking to migrate file structure only to Win2k server. Current server is NW4.11(7a). Migration server is NT4(6a). Destination server is Win2K(sp4). Upon executing the tool, I can browse for the particular servers, but upon saying OK to the pair, it errors, telling me that it 'Cannot connect to server: Test2K'. GSNW and NWLink are on the 'migration' server and user is supervisor/administrator equivalent. If I use a browser, I can go into every server and do whatever I like. I tried ...

NetWare Single User Mode?
I'm sorry if this a dumb question I should know the answer but is there a netware equivalent to the single user mode of *nix? I want to prepare a server for a Service Pack install in the most simple manner possible. Thanks. No. But, after you have dropped to SP into Sys:\ you can disable login and disconnect all users. Install the SP from the server console and then reboot and your users can log back in. -- Dave Lunn NSC SysOp http://support-forums.novell.com Dave Lunn wrote: > No. But, after you have dropped to SP into Sys:\ you can disable login and >...

Netware 6sp3 + Multiple LUN + Veritas BKUPEXEC for Netware
I recently replaced an HP SureStore 24x6 Autoloader with an HP StorageWorks 40x6 Autoloader and my Backup Exec for Netware will no longer load. Veritas has been no help is solving this issue so I'm posting the problem here. Facts: -Both drives (old and new) are multi-LUN devices -Driver load line includes "lun_enable=ff" -SCSI BIOS is configured for Multi-LUN -With the 24x6 drive installed, no problems -With the 40x6 drive installed, software load fails with a message stating that a multi-LUN device has been detected but Multi-LUN support is not fully e...

Web resources about - single XP local profile / multiple Netware users password problem - novell.netware.5x.admin-tools

Code division multiple access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Code division multiple access ( CDMA ) is a channel access method used by various radio communication technologies. It should not be confused ...

Wollstonecraft man's fear of spiders sparks multiple calls to police
When residents of a Sydney north shore street heard a man yelling &quot;I'm going to kill you, you're dead!&quot; followed by a woman's hysterical ...

Facebook Adds Multiple Matching Options for Custom Audiences
Facebook has added real-time matching across multiple data types to its custom audiences ad-targeting tool. The social network said in a Facebook ...

Multiple explosions kill at least seven near Baghdad
Multiple explosions kill at least seven near Baghdad

Meet the man who made "multiple six figures" in 5 days — playing daily fantasy sports
In the world of daily fantasy sports, there are two types of games: cash games and tournaments. Cash games can be head-to-head against one person, ...

Kate Hudson dumped Nick Jonas because she ‘wants to pursue multiple people’
... But not for long, The source also said the Bride Wars star wants to get into the dating scene again. And soon. ‘Kate wants to pursue multiple ...

Instagram update lets you seamlessly manage multiple accounts
Instagram is bringing a great new update to Android and iOS that allows users to seamlessly manage multiple accounts. The change means you’ll ...

Despite peaceful protests in Chicago, multiple activists arrested
Protesters have been taking to the streets in Chicago for days now to demand the release of the video of police officer Jason Van Dyke shooting ...

Video: Instagram’s New Multiple Account Feature
This morning, we showed you the new Instagram multiple accounts feature that is slowly rolling out on Android , but wanted to follow that up ...

Instagram tests multiple account support on Android
The Instagram team appears to be readying an Android update that will introduce one of its most highly requested features: multiple account support. ...