NTP and Time Sync Problems

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help me.

I am trying to get a Netware 5.0 server to sync with an outside time source.
I have permission from tick.utoronto.ca to sync with them, as well as
tick.usno.navy.mil and tock.usno.navy.mil.  When i launch timesync.nlm after
a period of time the timesync debug screen shows that the server can't
communicate with those time servers.  Running ping from the console clearly
shows that there is no problem pining the servers.

After running timesync.nlm the console reports syncronization not active.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Here is the timesync.cfg file
# TimeSync.Cfg is now updated automatically,
# when changes are made on the System Console

# TIMESYNC Configuration Parameters

Configured Sources = ON
Directory Tree Mode = ON
Hardware Clock = OFF
Polling Count = 3
Polling Interval = 600
Service Advertising = ON
Synchronization Radius = 2000
Type = REFERENCE

# TIMESYNC Configured time source list

TIME SOURCE = tick.utoronto.ca:123
TIME SOURCE = tick.usno.navy.mil:123
TIME SOURCE = tock.usno.navy.mil:123

TIME SOURCE = ;

0
Doug
5/12/2004 7:51:07 PM
novell.netware.5x.admin-tools 3683 articles. 0 followers. Follow

What support pack is installed on the server ?
What version of Timesync.nlm ?
Is the server sitting behind a firewall ?
If so, are you doing stateful filtering ?

If you change the TIME SOURCE DNS name with their IP address, does it work ?

If this is the only NetWare server, you should change the Type = SINGLE
in MONITOR.

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp

The version of timesync is 4.15
The server is a single server, and is not behind a firewall, but is behind a
router that performs NAT.
The server is running DHCP for the rest of the network.
It does not seem to matter whether the DN or IP address is used.
Type has been changed to SINGLE

"Edison Ortiz" <eortiz@nscsysop.com> wrote in message

> What support pack is installed on the server ?
> What version of Timesync.nlm ?
> Is the server sitting behind a firewall ?
> If so, are you doing stateful filtering ?
>
> If you change the TIME SOURCE DNS name with their IP address, does it work
?

> If this is the only NetWare server, you should change the Type = SINGLE
> in MONITOR.
>
> --
> Edison Ortiz
> Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
> (No Email Support, Thanks !)

0
Doug
5/12/2004 8:20:32 PM
It sounds like you are way behind in patches. Apply the latest support
pack from http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2958185.htm
and the latest timesync.nlm from
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2961100.htm

You can find out what current patches you have by typing VERSION at the
server console or going into NWCONFIG | Product Options | View Installed
Products.

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
(No Email Support, Thanks !)
0
Edison
5/12/2004 8:38:18 PM
Edison

OK I will let you know how all of this works out.

Regards

Doug

> It sounds like you are way behind in patches. Apply the latest support
> pack from
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2958185.htm
> and the latest timesync.nlm from
> http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2961100.htm
>
> You can find out what current patches you have by typing VERSION at the
> server console or going into NWCONFIG | Product Options | View Installed
> Products.
>
> --
> Edison Ortiz
> Novell Product Support Forum SysOp
> (No Email Support, Thanks !)

0
Doug
5/12/2004 8:43:34 PM
Edison is correct about getting your server patched up current.  You'll
need to get on NW5.0sp6a + NICI157x + WSOCK4f/g + TimeSync 5.24o.  Most
people have had good results with that combination.  I still prefer to use
a third party shareware product named SNTPCLNT to sync with an NTP server
rather than Novell's Timesync.nlm.  If you want to check it out, I have
configuration tips and a link to download it from the publisher's web site
on my web site at
http://www.otcnetworks.com/timesync.htm

> I am trying to get a Netware 5.0 server to sync with an outside time
source.
> I have permission from tick.utoronto.ca to sync with them, as well as
> tick.usno.navy.mil and tock.usno.navy.mil.  When i launch timesync.nlm
after
> a period of time the timesync debug screen shows that the server can't
> communicate with those time servers.  Running ping from the console
clearly
> shows that there is no problem pining the servers.
>
> After running timesync.nlm the console reports syncronization not active.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions?

0
geoffs
5/12/2004 10:54:09 PM
Dnia Wed, 12 May 2004 19:51:07 +0000, Doug napisa�(a):

> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if anyone can help me.
>
> I am trying to get a Netware 5.0 server to sync with an outside time source.
> I have permission from tick.utoronto.ca to sync with them, as well as
> tick.usno.navy.mil and tock.usno.navy.mil.  When i launch timesync.nlm after
> a period of time the timesync debug screen shows that the server can't
> communicate with those time servers.  Running ping from the console clearly
> shows that there is no problem pining the servers.
>
> After running timesync.nlm the console reports syncronization not active.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions?
>
> Here is the timesync.cfg file
> # TimeSync.Cfg is now updated automatically,
> # when changes are made on the System Console
>
> # TIMESYNC Configuration Parameters
>
> Configured Sources = ON
> Directory Tree Mode = ON
> Hardware Clock = OFF
> Polling Count = 3
> Polling Interval = 600
> Service Advertising = ON
> Synchronization Radius = 2000
> Type = REFERENCE
>
> # TIMESYNC Configured time source list
>
> TIME SOURCE = tick.utoronto.ca:123
> TIME SOURCE = tick.usno.navy.mil:123
> TIME SOURCE = tock.usno.navy.mil:123
>
> TIME SOURCE = ;

load ntp.nlm
##############################
timesync.cfg:
type = single
Hardware Clock = off
Configured Sources = off

ntp.cfg:
server tick.uso.navy.mil
server tock.usno.navy.mil
server tick.utoronto.ca
0
elj

Problem with Time Sync on Netware 6.5
Hi, I have a strange problem. Situation : 2 Novell servers 1 Server is Reference with external time server source. Server 2 is secondary with time source server 1. Problem server 2 won't go in sync because it has the following error : Time Source Not in Sync, discarding the packet. If I go to the time debug screen of server 1 it say's Server in sync. What could be the problem ? John John Slegers: > 1 Server is Reference with external time server source. > Server 2 is secondary with time source server 1. > make the first server Single instead ...

ntp on netware
Hi I am running into a small problem, and wish to get some input about ntp. I have a Novell 5.1 server sp5 running tcp/ip pulling time from a world server. This is working, as debug screen shows polls every 10 min. I want to know how to make a windows 2000 sever poll from the novell server instead of having to go out to the world time servers I did a net time /setsntp:ip of netware server then did a net stop w32time followed by net start w32time the time did not adjust now i can ping the ip of the netware server. to test windows ntp client, I set the IP in the above st...

Problem with Time Sync on Netware 6.5 #2
Hi, I have a strange problem. Situation : 2 Novell servers 1 Server is Reference with external time server source. Server 2 is secondary with time source server 1. Problem server 2 won't go in sync because it has the following error : Time Source Not in Sync, discarding the packet. If I go to the time debug screen of server 1 it say's Server in sync. What could be the problem ? John : duplicate Joe Moore Novell Support Forums SysOp http://just.fdisk-it.com http://www.caledonia.net/jmdns.html http://www.caledonia.net/nesadmin.html http://www.caledon...

time sync problem
One of my Netware 5.1 server giving me "Time is NOT syncronized on the network" when I typed "time" at the console prompt. When I set it to Debug, it shows that " theServer will not be used as it is a configured source". I don't what that means. Please help. My environment: we have five Netware 5.1 w/sp5 servers. One Single and four Secondary. Three secondary servers are OK, except one that giving me this error. All servers have the latest and same timesync.nlm. Please help!... Thanks, Calvin Please post the sys:system\timesync...

NTP Time Sync
I have a mixture of NetWare 6 and 6.5 Servers. with the BorderManager is acting as the reference and NTP time server getting its time from an external time source. in the last few days we have lost time sync on our network. the reference server is the only server that is in sync the two primary are getting "unable to communicate with server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:123!" Hi, bernard.kenefeck@carltonscreen.com wrote: > network. the reference server is the only server that is in sync the two > primary are getting "unable to communicate with server > xxx.xxx.xxx....

Time sync problem
Hello, We have a two node cluster that was set up for us by an outside consultant and has been running NW6sp4 for over a year now without this problem. A couple of days ago, first one server and then the other, then both at once has a red flag for time sync. The servers are set up in a single/secondary time sync configuration and both are configured with the IP address of the same two NIST time servers, in the same order. I watched the time sync screens together and the server set as the secondary only uses one of the two time servers while the server set as the single uses both. ...

time sync problem
hello all; since installing NW5.1 sp5, my servers have been able to synchronize with the time server in the network. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks > since installing NW5.1 sp5, my servers have been able to synchronize with > the time server in the network. > Does it work if you unload/reload timesync.nlm? -- Andy Thompson Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp (No email support, thanks.) > > since installing NW5.1 sp5, my servers have been able to synchronize with > > the time server in the network. > >...

Time Sync Problems
Servers involved are: Sles10sp1 oes2 eDir 8.8 Netware 6.5.6 eDir 8.7.3.9 I am getting the following error when I run a time sync: [1] Instance at /etc/opt/novell/eDirectory/conf/nds.conf: wauoesfs1.OU=SERVERS.OU=WAU.OU=IL.O=BCBS.NSM_TREE Unable to connect to NDS Server. Connection refused. I also get a -625 error when running a time sync on a Netware 6.5 box that is in this tree. Any suggestions on how to fix this and what might be causing the problem? Thanks Scott -- SJFast911 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SJ...

Time sync problem
I have a dual boot machine, and can't get the Windows and OpenSUSE times to match. They are always 6 hours off. I used Yast NTP to set up a server on Linux, with Central time zone. Windows has the same time zone. Does anyone know anything else that needs to be adjusted so I can make these times the same? -- ciric50 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On Tue December 15 2009 09:56 pm, ciric50 wrote: > > I have a dual boot machine, and can't get the Windows and OpenSUSE times > to match. They are always 6 hours off. ...

Time Sync Problem
Dear All, I meet time sync problem. Now I say my situation. 4 Novell 4.11 servers and one TREE. Recently, the server time is late 3mins compare with actual time. So I try to adjust it and follow the below method: Load monitor-->Server parameter-->Time--->At time schedule, add the parameter (+00:03:00). After the server run one day, I discover 4 server time is not match. but i try to run dsrepair to test it without any error . I want to ask how to solve it, help me??? Thanks TT Please copy&paste sys:system\timesync.cfg from each server. Also, copy&...

DSrepair time sync replica depth and time is in sync
A new server installed and configured (nw5.0 sp6a) is showing up with a Replica depth of -1 (others show 0) and the Time is in Sync = no (others are yes) with a plus of 1min. Can these be resolved? This a brand new test server. Cheers. The "Replica Depth" is not a problem. Your new server does not have a copy of the NDS Database. This is not a problem and quite normal. Only the 1st 3 servers get a copy of you DS unless you configure it otherwise. Check you TimeSync Setup. Here is a guide from NW5.1 (5.0 should work the same.) http://www.novell.com/documentati...

Time Sync Problem #3
Mixed environment: 1 x Reference Server = NetWare 4.10 (DS ver 5.18) 1 x Primary Server = NetWare 5.1-SP6 (DS ver 8.85) 9 x Secondary Servers - 2 x NetWare 4.10 (DS ver 5.18) - 1 x NetWare 4.11-SP9 (DS ver 6.11) - 1 x NetWare 4.2-SP9 (DS ver 6.11) - 1 x NetWare 5.1-SP3 (DS ver 8.77) - 1 x NetWare 5.1-SP5 (DS ver 8.82) - 2 x NetWare 5.1-SP6 (DS ver 8.85) and the odd-ball - 1 x Axis StorePoint CD Network CD Server (pretends to be NetWare 4.X - DS ver 5.73) All NW5-SP6 boxes were recently upgraded to SP6 - some from SP3 and some from SP5. What we're see...

NTP time from NetWare to NT4
I have a NetWare 5.0 NTP Server supplying time to UNIX servers. This works just fine. However, when we attempt to configure NT4 to get time updates from NetWare (using W32Time), the process fails. Is it possible to get NT4 to pull time from an NetWare NTP server or do I need a third party product? Thanks in advance Gavin gkeane@active-resource.co.uk, > I have a NetWare 5.0 NTP Server supplying time to UNIX servers. This > works just fine. However, when we attempt to configure NT4 to get > time updates from NetWare (using W32Time), the process fails. > ...

Time Sync Problem #2
Netware 5.1 server lost connectivity to its source time server for approx 6 hrs. The time was wrong on the server. This server is a time ref server, master of root, and DHCP server. Users attempting to login at that time were unable to get IP due to IP conflict. Helpdesk had users run release all and some users could login; however, the last login changed to year 2034! Server was rebooted and time appeared correct on server. Now server shows synthetic time, but time is correct. For problem users, cannot unlock accts due to error 116:659. NDS looks healthy, except for -698 error...

Web resources about - NTP and Time Sync Problems - novell.netware.5x.admin-tools

2016 Subaru Outback, Legacy recalled for driveshaft problem
Filed under: Recalls , Safety , Sedan , Wagon Subaru is recalling 2016 Outback and Legacy models because the driveshaft can potentially detach ...

Problem with metrics and referee directions
Vox has a brief little informer on the relative risk of injury in high school sports. I think it is useful, but reading the definition of injury ...

Trump: If GOP Does Not Stick to Our Deal ‘They’re Going to Have Problems’
Trump: If GOP Does Not Stick to Our Deal 'They're Going to Have Problems'

Microsoft has an emoji problem
Microsoft increasingly has an emoji problem as the company's Windows 10 operating system lacks the latest set of characters. Emoji are, essentially, ...

The junk problem is bigger than oil
Some have written off the high-yield concerns as a mere effect of crude oil's slide. But that analysis appears to be badly off base.

Social media addiction is a bigger problem than you think
Social networks are massively addictive. Most people I know check and interact on social sites constantly throughout the day. And they have no ...

3 and Out: Three big picture problems for the Patriots
... form Search 51° Main menu Home Celtics Patriots Red Sox Bruins Revolution More WRITERS Watch Shop NECN 3 and Out: Three big picture problems ...

Poll: Americans Have 99 Problems, And Terrorism Is No. 1
The number shot up from just 3 percent to 16 percent from November to December

Brexit Won't Cause The Slightest Problem For Britain's Credit Rating
An interesting little point being made about the upcoming vote on whether Britain should leave the EU or not. I am, of course, biased here in ...