Netware server and Windows Pro(user folder)

Hello,

Hope this makes sense. I am running a couple netware 5.1 servers. I only
use them for file servers. I have a few partitions on them, one of which
is a User volume.

I just noticed that within the user folders after a user logs in and is
make to his/her user folder. and Applicatons, History, and Cookie folders
are create in the user folder on the netware server.

Can anyone let me know why these folders are created, and what are they
used for?

Thanks and hope this makes sense.
Jay
0
jay
12/28/2006 4:00:54 AM
novell.netware.5x.admin-tools 3683 articles. 0 followers. Follow

They are created by Windows, and would happen no matter whether the user
directories were on the NW server or the local PC. You'd need to ask in
a MS support forum for how to stop it happening if that's your goal.
--
 Andrew C Taubman
 Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp

 Opinions expressed above are not
 necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0
Andrew
12/28/2006 5:54:57 AM
At a guess, the user is relocating his 'My Documents' folder or perhaps
use Win2K/XP User directory -- which belongs in Documents and Settings
on the Windows boot drive.  It's certainly ok to have the My Documents
folder under the user directory provided you plan for the amount of
space that can take.

--
Barry Schnur
Barry
> At a guess, the user is relocating his 'My Documents' folder or perhaps
> use Win2K/XP User directory -- which belongs in Documents and Settings
> on the Windows boot drive.  It's certainly ok to have the My Documents
> folder under the user directory provided you plan for the amount of
> space that can take.
>

> --
> Barry Schnur
> Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop

Thanks Barry!
Do you think it's good practice then to have them leave it that way so
their Docs are backed up on our server, since we only back up the servers
and not indivual pc's?

Also, since the application folder is there on the server I know I can
then relocate their Outlook PST folder as well. Do you think or know if
this is what people do?
Thanks,
Jay
0
jay
12/28/2006 5:29:24 PM
> At a guess, the user is relocating his 'My Documents' folder or perhaps
> use Win2K/XP User directory -- which belongs in Documents and Settings
> on the Windows boot drive.  It's certainly ok to have the My Documents
> folder under the user directory provided you plan for the amount of
> space that can take.
>

> --
> Barry Schnur
> Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop

Thanks Barry!
Do you think it's good practice then to have them leave it that way so
their Docs are backed up on our server, since we only back up the servers
and not indivual pc's?

Also, since the application folder is there on the server I know I can
then relocate their Outlook PST folder as well. Do you think or know if
this is what people do?
Thanks,
Jay
0
jay
12/28/2006 6:31:03 PM
> Do you think it's good practice then to have them leave it that way so
> their Docs are backed up on our server, since we only back up the servers
> and not indivual pc's?

Provided you have the storage space for it, point the 'My Documents'
folder to the server can be a good thing as it insures that the data
will get backed up (assuming you have provision to perform backup on
the server regularly).

> Also, since the application folder is there on the server I know I can
> then relocate their Outlook PST folder as well. Do you think or know if
> this is what people do?

I know that folks often do that with their email folders.  The downside
is that you can take up a lot of storage space (I know one place where
PST files are often >2G in size), and performance can lag a bit
(compared to pulling those files from a local drive).

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

--