Netware 5.0 - license consumption problem - NLSMAN32.EXE

we have  5 + 25 user license installed (about 11 years ago :)

last week i noticed users having trouble logging in to the server. i
count only 25 users + 1 printserver device, so the license(s) should be
still enough.

after so much isolation steps... and using nlsman32.exe, here is what i
observed:

nlsman32 shows that the first (base 5) license *lists* 5 users who are
not logged  and/or who are not connected or even physically absent from
the LAN. (?)
checking the server monitor, these same user accounts are not listed in
the connections list.

how is this so? and how should i remedy this?

i guess if i could clear up the used up slots on the first license,
then we could go back to normal...

- joey

--
langhab

langhab
7/17/2010 7:36:01 AM
novell.netware.5x.admin-tools 3683 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I don't have a NW 5.x server to check on any more, but can't you free up
those licenses from those users in nlsman or nwadmin?

--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Knowledge Partner

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=415942

0
ataubman
7/19/2010 12:16:01 AM
thanks for the reply

ataubman;2000115 Wrote:
> I don't have a NW 5.x server to check on any more, but can't you free up
> those licenses from those users in nlsman or nwadmin?

that's what i want to do, but short of deleting those 5 users accounts
(which i don't want to) - i can't seem to find the menu or anyway to
free them up using either nlsman or nwadmin

i've read somewhere that dsrepair might help. i've run dsrepair on full
automation, then restarted the server, still the same users consume the
first license list. even when nobody else but me is logged in to the
server....

--
langhab
langhab's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=89809
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=415942

0
langhab
7/19/2010 12:36:01 AM
Try loading dsrepair -N0 (that's a number zero, not a letter oh) and
running a local repair.

That aside, I'm pretty sure if you go to the user license object in
nwadmin, units in use, you can detach them there.

--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=415942

0
ataubman
7/19/2010 10:46:02 PM
dsrepair -N0 was no dice ;)
and i still can't find anyway to free those 5 connections.

anyway i've uploaded 3 (nlsman32) screenshots here:
http://h1.ripway.com/langhab/novell/index.html

the setup is this:
one tree, one context, one server.
licenses: (base plus) 5 conns and additional 25 conns.
all users are [Blimited[/B] to a maximum of 1 concurrent connection.

yet on the 1st image you may notice that users TELLER2 and USER4B are
listed twice.

the second image shows the (unexplainable) 5 connections that seems to
be permanent. these are the nasty consumptions the needs to be freed.

the third image shows the working 25 conn license. here when users,
i.e. TELLER2 or USER4B, logs-out or detaches their name/accounts
disappears as well from the screen/list (which is normal.)

another problem is the Scdc698 account. this is the printserver device
i mentioned earlier (1st post.) it uses 2 connections everytime it is
turned on. not to mention the 2 conns that needs to be freed....

-----

with USER3A i've tried disabling the account hoping the server will
kickout the now fixed conn. also tried limiting/scheduling connection
time, but to no avail....

i know there's a  solution out there............

--
langhab
langhab's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=89809
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=415942

0
langhab
7/22/2010 8:56:02 AM
Assuming you have the licenses on disk or floppy (and a floppy drive!)
you could always delete all the licensing and start again: delete all 5
licensing objects relating to that server - NLS_LSP, server and user
licenses, server and user license envelopes. Run a local dsrepair, then
Setupnls, then reinstall server and user licenses.

--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=415942

0
ataubman

Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
We would like to upgrade our Netware 5.0 server to Netware 6.5, and I am looking for a plan of attack. Attempts thus far have failed: We have 5.0 on a 38G drive partitioned into several volumes, with another 38G partitioned into a couple of volumes available for other data, and an unused 8G drive. Everything is backed up to tape. We use the server to run Groupwise, and the Netscape enterprise web server also. If I boot the 6.5CD from DOS, it will let me install a new 6.5 server. Not what I want. If I mount it in NW5.0, and use the GUI to install it, it fails with...

Netware 6.5 and netware 5.0
Currently have a number of 5.0 servers - 1 tree. I want to introduce two 6.5 servers into this tree running Edirectory 8.7. Can I do this, and what is the best procedure ? Do I need to update the 5.0 servers (Patches, DS. nlms). I am not going to install Edirectory on the 5.0 servers - don't think I can anyway. Do I need to extend the schema on the existing 5.0 servers before introducing 6.5 servers and Edir 8.7 into this tree ? , > Currently have a number of 5.0 servers - 1 tree. I want to introduce two > 6.5 servers into this tree running Edirectory 8.7. Can ...

netware 5.0 to netware 5.1
1.Do I need a new licence from netware 5.0 to 5.1? 2.If I lost my floppy licence for my netware 5.0 installation, can I retreive it from the server? I'm trying to virtualize 3 netware 5.0 servers and unfortunaly my client lost the floppy licence. So what I tried is to install a fresh copy of netware 5.0 on a vm but without a big success. So that why I'm looking to move to netware 5.1 Thanks Eric -- xd5916 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ IIRC Netware 5.1 requires a new license. You might want to contact Novell and s...

Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
What are the minimum SP levels for 5.0 in order to install Netware 6.5 into a existing Netware 5.0 tree. I would patch NW50 to the latest SP. Then run the deployment manager from the NetWare 6.5 CD. It will give you an idea what will be needed on your current servers. Good Luck. <phil.bec@culture.gov.uk> wrote in message news:9tPVb.4154$6M5.1896@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com... > What are the minimum SP levels for 5.0 in order > to install Netware 6.5 into a existing Netware 5.0 tree. > Use the deployment manager to verify system levels. Also download the...

Netware 5.0 sp6.0a to Netware 6.5 sp6.0 migration
When verifying my migration project the Novell Migration Wizart version 8.1.5 I get the following error. File 'SYS:INSTALL' on BHS_SERVER was not found. --- Error caused by a NetWare API error --- Network error: Path invalid (Error code: 0X899c Function Name: NWGetEffectiveRightsExt) I have gone through all of the pre-migration steps and everything checks out fine up until this poing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -- roberteleejr Check the following document on general migration recommendations; http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/Migration_W...

Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5 migration
My corporation recently acquired a company with a single Netware 5.0 server. We have already installed a new Netware 6.5 server at their location that is part of our global eDirectory tree. Their old NW 5.0 server is on its own indepentent tree. What is the best method to migrate their users, groups, data, trustees, and printers to our global tree. We have already created a container for them in our global tree. I looked at the SCMT tool from Novell but I think it is designed to migrate/upgrade servers that are in the same tree. Any suggestions besides a manual creation of user...

Upgrade Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
Hello, I have a netware 5.0 (no sp) with ds 7.45 on a Compaq Proliant 3000. This server is alone on my tree. I want migrate this server to Netware 6.5 to a Compaq dl 380 G2. What is the best method ? Thanks for answer Fran�ois-Xavier Derveloy France You will need to deploy updates on the 5.0 server prior to running the Migration Wizard. No SP's at all on the 5.0 server? That is rare indeed. Also, how many users on this server and how much data? -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Hello, config.txt give this : Novell NetWare 5.00...

Netware 6.5 in a Netware 5.0 Tree
I posted earlier last week and followed the advice however, it blew up during the renaming of the new/old servers before reboot(using the migration wizard). We had to back out and reinstall directory services on the old server and now we are back to where we were before. We still have to do the migration and 6.5 is very new to us. Question is: We have a multiple netware 5.0 servers. Our portion of the tree has 4 Netware 5.0 servers with SP6a installed. We also have 2 Netware 4.12 servers (also fully patched). All of these servers have local attached storaged. We pur...

Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5 upgrade?
I have two servers running Netware 5.0 and one server running Netware 5.1 My question is, can I upgrade from 5.0 to Netware 6.5 using the migration wizard on one server and have the other servers remain on the network communicating with each other. (i.e. have a 5.0 server co-exist with a nw 6.5 server with no issues with edir/nds?) Or do I have to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 then to 6.5? If doing this, will the 5.0 license work for 5.1? As it will be impossible to upgrade all servers from 5.0 to 5.1 at the same time! Thanks John, > My question is, can I upgrade from 5.0 to...

Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5 #2
I have two servers running Netware 5.0 and one server running Netware 5.1 My question is, can I upgrade from 5.0 to Netware 6.5 on one server and have the other servers remain on the network communicating with each other. Or do I have to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 then to 6.5? If doing this, will the 5.0 license work for 5.1? As it will be impossible to upgrade all servers from 5.0 to 5.1 at the same time! Thanks It is not possible to do an in place upgrade from NW 5.0 to 6.5, e.g. an upgrade on the same server. An in place upgrade requires NW 5.1 or 6.0. However an in place ...

Upgrade Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
Can one tell me how to upgrade a Netware 5.0 Single Server to a Netware 6.5 Singele Server where the Netware 6.5 Server will be on a new Machine. What are the specials one has to look after? Thak you You should look into Migration Wizard to ease this process. Migration Wizard can be downloaded from http://download.novell.com -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) Having used Migration Wizard 7.1 to migrate 5.0 to 6.5 I cannot recommend that route. I have seen others in these forums have the same problems I saw. A stepped migra...

Netware 5.0 sp6a to netware 6.5
We have 4 netware 5.0 servers . We want to upgrade one to 6.5. However, I understand that you have to have at least 5.1 to do an in-place upgrade. What is my best alternative? I have heard that as well, although the documentation I got from NetWare 6.5 first class indicates otherwise -- that is the table on the printed documentation indicates there are *three* options for NW 5.0 to 6.5: 1) In Place Upgrade 2) Migration Wizard 6.5 (to new hardware) 3) Server Consolidation Utility 2.5 (to new hardware) I have been looking to get some verification of the various m...

Migration from Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
I am install new hardware and new netware. The old server is running NW5.0 and the new one will be running NW 6.5. Is ther an easy way to move users and data from the old server to the new one. I know that I will not be able to move the printer and will have to set all of them on the new server. We have about 800 users on the old server. I think the current Server Consolidation and Migration tool supports a 5.0 source. If not, you may need to get the earlier 6.5 Migration Wizard -- it is available in the cool tools area. -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connectio...

netware 5.1 sp8 in a mixed netware 5.0 / 5.1 nds7 tree
Any problems doing an overlay SP8 for Netware 5.1 (on only 1 server, the backup server) in a mixed environment and then upgrading Groupwise and Primary File Server later on off-hours? Specifically, the question is, all servers in the tree are NDS 7.62b The SP8 seems to require NDS 8.x. Will this 1 server running NDS 8.x cause a problem in the same tree with all the other 7.62b servers? It shouldn't cause a problem -- heck, NW 5.1 SP8 will 'play' with NW 4.2 servers (DS 6.21). -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop ...

Web resources about - Netware 5.0 - license consumption problem - NLSMAN32.EXE - novell.netware.5x.admin-tools

Consumption (economics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Consumption is a common concept in economics and many other social sciences, and gives rise to derived concepts such as consumer debt . Generally, ...

How Does News Consumption On Facebook Stack Up Vs. Other Social Networks?
A total of 47 percent of Facebook users get news on the social network, trailing Reddit (62 percent) and Twitter (52 percent), but due to the ...

Facebook’s New Desktop Software Team Could Build Apps to Report Media Consumption
Facebook is accepting applications from engineers to join a new desktop software team at its Seattle office. The responsibilities of the “Software ...

Gas Manager, fuel consumption & cost calculator for vehicles on the App Store on iTunes
Get Gas Manager, fuel consumption & cost calculator for vehicles on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Saul Griffith: Graph of Energy Consumption - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Inhabitat's photos on Flickr. Inhabitat has uploaded 17472 photos to Flickr.

Singles' Day shopping revelry a boost to consumption, innovation
Singles' Day shopping revelry a boost to consumption, innovation

Alaska Marijuana Control Board votes to allow consumption in retail outlets - Alaska Dispatch News
The Alaska Marijuana Control Board voted Friday to allow consumption of marijuana products in retail stores across the state. But social clubs, ...

Chrome can now reduce data consumption by 70 percent
Saving on data has become an important feature as smartphones make their way out to regions with more hit and miss connections. Opera Max's data ...

Wi-Fi HaLow increases wireless range and reduces power consumption
... that many devices will also operate at 2.4GHz and 5GHz to allow for interoperability with existing hardware. The promise of lower power consumption ...

India Plans To Increase Solar Power Consumption To 10% By 2022
... and Renewable Energy recently revealed that the Indian Government is considering increasing [&hellip India Plans To Increase Solar Power Consumption ...