Antivirus protection for NW5 server?

Howdy, y'all; a rootkit virus (what kind of human being would code such
a thing?) damaged an XP Pro SP3 laptop that's occasionally connected to
the intranet, and raised the question of antivirus protection for our
legacy NW5 server. The firewall is robust and is working as configured,
but there's concern about the NW5 box.

Seems that Symantec Antivirus Corporate 8.1 works with NW5, but is no
longer supported, according to this thread:
'Virus definitions updates not applied (Corporate Edition 8.1) |
Symantec Connect'
(http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/virus-definitions-updates-not-applied-corporate-edition-81)

What else might we use? The desktops (all XP Pro SP3, with patched
Client 4.83 SP3) run Microsoft Security Essentials that's updated by
Microsoft Update, so not necessary to have a server that propagates
virus signature updates to connected client PCs.

Thanks for your consideration.

Andy in The OC, SoCal.

--
jazzkeys

jazzkeys
8/20/2010 3:36:02 AM
novell.netware.5x.admin-tools 3683 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Jazzkeys,
> The firewall is robust and is working as configured,
> but there's concern about the NW5 box

Infection or that it would spead infection? If your workstations are
protected, then there is not much need to protect the server, although
it does not hurt to have its disks scanned for virii regularily.

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
8/20/2010 6:42:16 AM
We use Trendmicro ServerProtect. Works well.
After installation,
Only trick is to disable the write protection for the sys\public using
the included administration tool.  This is protected by default. Goog
idea, but one have to keep in mind before installing a service pack.
A 30-day trial can be found here:
downloadcenter.trendmicro.com
choose FileServer and Storage, Serverprotect for Win and NW. Other
Versions.
Version 5.58 works fine on NW 5.1.
The download is a full version, just leave the serial number blank and
it will switch to 30 days trial.
Can manage Win and NW servers from one admin.exe
HTH

--
UweKabel
UweKabel's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=111034

0
UweKabel

Moving DHCP from NW5.0 server to Netware 6.0 server.
I am going to need to move our DHCP server in the near future from a NW5.0 SP6a server to NW6.0 SP3 server. From what I can see, I need to: 1.Unload DHCPSRVR on the cureent NW5 server. 2.Create a new DHCP server on the NW6 server using Management Console. 3.Assign the subnets and address ranges to the new NW6 Dhcp server. 4.Load DHCPSRVR on the NW6 server. Am I missing anything? Also, can this be done with IManager instead of the DHCP Management console? We are unable to use the DHCP Management Console for whatever reason at this time. It takes approximetly an hour to get it ...

Server Admin tool
Hi my server people have informed me that there is a tool that I can access the server with.  Can anybody point me in the right direction?   Many Thanks howlinhuskie Do you mean for administering SQL Server 2005?If yes, then they probably meant SQL Server Express Management Studio. It's a free tool and it can be downloaded here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/ HTHMy blogs: www.snowball.bewww.codeflakes.net Thanks for looking in on me.  I have this installed,  I am really just getting started with ASP.NET.  Can this tool access the ...

Replacing a Netware 4 server with a NetWare 6 server...
I have been hired to set up a netware 6 server and transfer some data from an old nw4-server. It�s a quite simple environment, just file-sharing, printing and some simple policies... I have some questions and thoughts about it... I have most been working with Netware 4 and a bit with netware 5. What is the biggest differences with Netware 6? What sizes of volumes and partitions would you recommend on a netware 6 server? The old netware 4 server is running Zenworks starter pack with some policies and a few applications (for simple installation). How would they be affected ...

Netware Server A access to Netware servers B volumes
Hello, it's possible to access from server A console to servers B volumes and files. I 'need this for a canon nlm program that stores printfiles only on Printserver but we need this files on server B. For example: Its possible to edit on servers A console edit serverB/sys:system/canon.txt I know this windows like, but we need this. Any idea ??? You can see files on another server with ConsoleOne by navigating to its volume objects, but I'm not aware of way of editing them. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp http://suppo...

Migrating iPrint from one Netware server to another Netware server
I have two Netware servers running Netware 6.0 SP5. I am rebuilding one of the servers. I am keeping one Netware server and am upgrading it Netware 6.5 SP3. I have iPrint running on the server that I am rebuilding. I would like to migrate it to the Netware 6.5 server that I am going to have. Is there a way that I can do that? Thanks Jason Roggentien There is a way to migrate, but it depends on what you mean by keeping and rebuilding, etc. The server hosting iPrint is running the NDPS Manager. The NDPS Manager has its own database where all the printer definitions, et...

Netware 6.5 Server with a Netware 5.0 Server?
We want to install a new Netware 6.5 server in an environment that has two 6.0 servers and 2 Netware 5.0 servers on the same tree. We are running 8.6.2 e directory on the 6.0 boxes and 8.0.6 NDS on the 5.0 boxes. Are there any problems with this setup,or should we be installing 6.0 instead? Thanks in advance. Dennis Dennis, > We are running > 8.6.2 e directory on the 6.0 boxes and 8.0.6 NDS on the 5.0 boxes. Are > there any problems with this setup,or should we be installing 6.0 instead? > According to: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/...

migrate DNS from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server
Are there any instructions for moving the dns from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server and maintaining the databases? I don't want to have to reenter all of my special DNS info again. Also, when I change the DNS server, I would like to maintain the same IP address for the DNS service. I know I could do an add secondary ipaddress, but is there anything I need to do in the DNS setup to have it respond to that secondary ipaddress rather than the ip address that is on my netware 6 server already? If the 2 servers are in the same NDS tree, simply create the ...

SQL Server Admin tool
Hello, I am looking for an ASP.NET tool that allows me to access a SQL Server remotly. We have created a database and would like to begin populating the tables before development of our site. The main funtionality I am looking for is to be able to view all tables within a database in the SQL Server. Also, I would like to be able to insert data into these tables. Is anyone aware of a tool like this? Thanks a lot!! The SQL Server Web dataAdministrator.Starting with ASP.NET 2.0? Look at:Programming Microsoft Web Forms My Blog Thank you very much for your response. I have looke...

Tools to baseline Netware servers
Greets I'm looking for any toolsets that allow one to create baselines of their Netware servers. Something that will allow you to create reports or some such form of recorded statistics - preferably those already in monitor.nlm. Ideally, it should also be able to be utilised as a capture utility to look at the performance counters of the performance of a netware box over the last x hours/days/etc taiss@crownltd.com.au, > Greets > > I'm looking for any toolsets that allow one to create baselines of > their Netware servers. Something th...

Tool to check for updates for Netware Servers
During the Y2K whoopla there was a tool that I could use to run against my Netware servers and ensure that they had the correct version of patches and nlm's. Is this tool still in existance, or if not, is there a replacement? Thanks, Cheryl "Correct" is a relative term. There are patches I recommend, and ones I would never put on a server. There is a config reader that will read the text output of the config.nlm that will check for patches. http://support.novell.com/produpdate/patchlist.html Under tools at the bottom you will find the config.nl...

Apache Single-Server Admin Tool
I am having an issue and just want to see if anyone else has seen this. When I click the link to take me to the Apache single-server administration tool, sometimes the page appears and it works perfectly. Other times, the page never appears and the browser waits indefinitely (the progress indicator never stops). Any thoughts? Yancey > When I click the link to take me to the Apache single-server > administration tool, sometimes the page appears and it works > perfectly. Other times, the page never appears and the browser waits > indefinitely (the progress indicat...

Netware Admin Tools Not Accessible/Installed
I installed OES Linux with Netware and then used the migration tool to migrate a Netware 4.11 server to the new server. Everything has migrated fine (all the users are there, the NDS tree is intact) but the administration tools on the OES server are not functioning. For example, 1) "http://localhost" does not pull up a page, 2) ConsoleOne runs but the option under tools to pull up the "remote console" for this Netware server is not evern there. The bottom line is at this point after reading through the documentation I can find no way to gain access to the Netware ...

Netware 6.5 server abends when trying to backup Netware 5.1 GW Server
I am trying to backup a netware 5.1 GW server from my new 6.5 server (all support packs are in). I am using brightstore 9 and am able to back up the 6.5 server but I get a Abend 1 on P00: Server-5.70.02: Page Fault Processor Exception (Error code 00000000)fstape.nlm error when I try to back up the netware GW server. It seems to get to a certain step and then abends. with: Any help would be appreciated. Server ELBA-FS halted Tuesday, August 3, 2004 7:35:47.545 am Abend 1 on P00: Server-5.70.02: Page Fault Processor Exception (Error code 00000000) Registers: CS = 0060...

Netware Server-to-Server Replication
Hello: I am setting up a replicated SQLAnywhere DB in a company with 10-15 offices running Novell 4.10. I am proposing to place SQLAnywhere server on each Novell server and after determining a hierarchy of server DB's, setup replication across all of them. I will be replicating the data around every hour or so. My problem is I can not find an DBRemote agent (NLM) to run on each Novell server to allow replication. Is Novell server to server replication between SQLAnywhere DB's simply not supported? We are using v5.03. Thanks for time. Greg Norman Epicure -- ***...

Web resources about - Antivirus protection for NW5 server? - novell.netware.5x.admin-tools

Copy protection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Copy prevention and copy control may be more neutral terms. "Copy protection" is a misnomer for some systems, because any number of copies can ...

Wild brother wants protection over Geelong gang rape case
The accused ringleader of an alleged gang rape of a 14-year-old girl in Geelong has pleaded for protection while he's being held in custody. ...

One week after HERO’s defeat, Dallas strengthens trans protections
... the campaign to defeat HERO, from crying rapist , worryingly noting that the language in Dallas’s update is “strikingly similar” to the protections ...

Google extends Chrome's Safe Browsing protection to fight social engineering
... card details, and those which purport to be an official website when they are in fact malicious. The Safe Browsing expansion offers protection ...

Lego's anti-Lego slippers have extra foot padding for protection
Soothe your tender feet this holiday season with a pair of Lego-branded slippers designed to cushion the bite from stepping on plastic bricks. ...

Amazon Enables Two-Step Authentication To Give Users More Account Protection
... has long been utilized by consumers to protect a variety of online accounts like banks, email, Twitter, and others. The idea behind the protection ...

19 Software Solutions For Cloud-Based Data Protection *
Data protection is a critical part of ensuring a business will survive threats to the integrity of its data whether it's managed on-premise, ...

10 Liberals Who Use Guns For Personal Protection
10 Liberals Who Use Guns For Personal Protection

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is under attack by lobbyists
... showing a room full of robotic bureaucrats stamping "DENIED" on loan applications. This is supposed to portray the Consumer Financial Protection ...