Access to Floppy drive by NWAdmin/NDSManager

Hello!

For it may looks strange, but my intention here is not to obtain a
simple solution, but to find out what the reason of that behaviour is.

Starting NDAdmin, even NDSManager, it does an access to my Floppy drive
(�A�). No idea what it plans to find there, the title of the window XP
brings up is useless (as usual). What action ever I do, �Continue� or
�Cancel�, it's like a non breakable circle if no Floppy is inserted.
Nearly funny it is, when I set in an as defective declared floppy (it's
strange what stuff you have to hand when you never expect to need it�)
there is access but NWAdmin starts without interference.

Anyway, I took a system image two days old (ran out of time to test
more older ones), that failed. I overinstalled Novell Client, does not
help, too.
I may try that older images, but ironically, I can not remember how
long time ago I needed NWAdmin. Were they old enough?

Does anybody has an idea what silly things brings up NWAdmin to do
access to a floppy? From other machines, all works fine.

Markus Erich

novell.netware.5x.admin-tools 3683 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Have you checked your environment settings (like PATH, even CLASSPATH) and
the Win shortcut that starts the app ?

Wolfgang

"9547797"  wrote in message news:9547797.4qldi3@no-mx.forums.novell.com...

[...]

9547797's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=52965
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=434724

0
Wolfgang
3/14/2011 2:12:19 PM
Well; I do not know what changes happend to �me�, nor if they came in
before the one or other older image.
I started SysInternal AutoRuns and found no clue. Path, the first to
inspect, looks good. ClassPath seems to be designed vor JAVA (beginning
with a . [Dot; Period], followed by a typical JAVA path).
The shortcut is OK, I directly launched NWADMN32.EXE within
\Public\Win32\. Same dilemma. A pity for now is, I can access the
critical machine via TeamViewer, but I left that defective disk within
A-Drive, no chance to eject it from here.

Markus

PS: Seems I took an older account with that number as a nickname. Sorry
for that.

9547797's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=52965
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=434724

Aha, gots more interesting than I expected�
To obtain that image, I had to reboot with an SOS-CD and left it in my
DVD-drive (RAM; intentionally to use an older image, but let's see�).
Launching NWAdmin, both DVD-drives (RAM and ROM) started and for any
reason, the presence or non presence of a media does take effect there
(ROM is empty). Then, again there is access to floppy, popping up a box
with this content (translation as best):

Title: �Windows - no media� [quite helpful]
Message: �There is no media in drive. Insert a media to drive A:.�
3 buttons: �Cancel� �Retry� �Continue�
{OK, and for what are you looking there??}

Guess what happens pressing one of the buttons� I had to insert any
floppy or to cancel the process by TaskMan.

So the question is extended to:
Why does NWAdmin will try to access (obviously; and since I can not
observe any access to HDDs�) a drive, and for what?
And an other information: once launched, NWAdmin tries an access to
floppy but does not stop with that box mentioned above. Made a try if an
USB-RAM-drive will be accessd too, no result; but even no flashing LED
of my DVD-drives�

Does anybody has an idea? General AutoRun of Windows can be discarded,
I' say.

Markus Erich

9547797's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=52965
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=434724

9547797,
> Why does NWAdmin will try to access (obviously; and since I can not
> observe any access to HDDs�) a drive, and for what

It should not, really and I have never seen that happen. Could be that
you have a snapin that tries to load something from A: Can you try
this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

To pinpoint what it tries to open and what process does so?

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
3/16/2011 8:44:18 AM
You scanned for viruses and such?

--

Peter
eDirectory Rules!

I did not scan for viruses; since a  clean image was restored. And I do
not have any clue, a malware shall be reason for this since only NWAdmin
and NDSManager (as far as tested) brought up this behaviour. No other
tools and application gave any clue in accessing all my drives in
sequence.

ProcessMonitor shows the instance CSRSS as the one to do that
accessings, but that is to me as to point to the hand which is opening a
door, but not seeing who tells the hand to open this or that door at
all.
Well, If I find time, I will pick this as an idea to follow to make
sure this is not the reason.

Can you imagine a DLL or something like that which came in by a special
MS upgrade can do this? Observing other little things, this is not so
abstract as it may look like.

Does NWAdmin stores any settings locally? If, where does it do it? Or
settings of the client, NWAdmin refers to?

Markus

9547797's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=52965
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=434724

9547797,
> Does NWAdmin stores any settings locally?

No AFAIK. But it might be looking for stuff in the path..

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders
3/23/2011 10:42:33 AM
OK. But path� What may the serach path have to do with it; to standard
folder \NOVELL in the system's drive? If there is anything saved, I did
not found it.

And just an an info, I obtained a self booting virus scanner. No
threats found� Even within that folder mentioned above.

Markus

9547797's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=52965
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=434724

9547797,
> What may the serach path have to do with it;

If A: is in the path and an app looks for a file in the path, then it
will access A:

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0
Anders

Netware Admin Tools Not Accessible/Installed
I installed OES Linux with Netware and then used the migration tool to migrate a Netware 4.11 server to the new server. Everything has migrated fine (all the users are there, the NDS tree is intact) but the administration tools on the OES server are not functioning. For example, 1) "http://localhost" does not pull up a page, 2) ConsoleOne runs but the option under tools to pull up the "remote console" for this Netware server is not evern there. The bottom line is at this point after reading through the documentation I can find no way to gain access to the Netware ...

access admin tool
hi out there! does anyone now if a free access admin for the ibs exists? does anyone programm one currently? greets sepp_der_bauer...

I can't access the Apache management tools via webmanager I can access the default admin web page (NW6.5), but not using
I can't access the Apache management tools via webmanager I can access the default admin web page (NW6.5), but not using https://ipaddress:2200. A port scan of the server shows that it isn't listening on 2200. I have also used the TCPCON to verify no 2200. I have reinstalled tomcat and apache. I have also tried: ap2webdn admsrvdn tcadmdn tc4stop delete sys:\tomcat\4\work\network admin and standalone ap2webup admsrvup tcadmup tomcat4 (The exercise above creates a new directory structure, but no files within). Where do I look to get this to listen on 2200? ...

Who has access to Web Admin Tool
Hi, if i place this site in a web server, who has access to the web admin tool? what is the url? does it use windows autentication so any other use can´t see the page? Thanks, SP the webadmin tool is not really meant for production.  Take a look at my MSDN article and the code that gives you a more secure admin tool. http://peterkellner.net/?p=24 You can use windows or forms auth.  (forms uses its own database)Peter Kellnerhttp://73rdstreet.com and blogging athttp://PeterKellner.netMVP, ASP.NET...

Floppy drive access during download.
Hi folks, since updating to FF1.5 series I noticed, that every- time a download is started and again when finished the floppy drive is accessed, producing a nasty noise and a delay. Is there a way to turn that off ? -- Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany] http://www.s-t.de Please remove all characters left of the "R" in my email address Ruediger Ihle wrote: > since updating to FF1.5 series I noticed, that every- > time a download is started and again when finished the > floppy drive is accessed, producing a nasty noise ...

Pause when accessing Netware drives
--____DHHTHVMSDGUUYGUXGQCG____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Sat, 11 May 2007 06:08:06 -0400" Hello, I have Novell client 4.9 SP2 and SP3 deployed here. One thing I see on = workstations is a pause when accessing network drives, specifically when a = user presses the "+" next to the folder with files. The pause can be = between 5-10 seconds before the file is accessed. =20 All Netware servers are 6.5.6. These are users accessing netware = resou...

Remote Access to Netware Drives
We have staff that want to be able to access their files stored on our Netware 6.5 servers from home (Word, Excel docs). What options does Netware provide to allow this? Netstorage etc....? -- jdrawert ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Jdrawert, > Netstorage etc....? > That or VPN. - Anders Gustafsson (Sysop) The Aaland Islands (N60 E20) Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com Novell does not monitor these forums officially. Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at http://suppo...

Repeated access to floppy drive
I recently noticed that my computer regularly "accesses" my floppy drive because I can hear it working (kind of like when you try to access it in explorer but there is no floppy disk in the drive). I don't recall this happening before. I've recently upgraded to Norton Antivirus 2004 - is there a default in Norton that is set to check the floppy drive intermittenly? Any other ideas why my floppy drive keeps making these noises? Thanks. CaRT <bdn1992@hotmail.com> wrote: > I recently noticed that my computer regularly "accesses" my floppy >...

Computers losing access to netware drives...
We have WindowsXP Pro SP1, Novell Client 4.83SP2 IP only, Netware 6.5 SP2, eDir 8.7.3.4 SMP. Users lose their "access" to a drive (Home drive, shared drive, apps drive) but the other drives works fine. This happens anytime of the day. Different users, different segments on the network and different hardware. The only thing that is the same is the Windows XP image which includes the Novell Client. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. have you done a packetsniff on the server to see what is going on at that time? using the latest tcpip? -- ----------------------...

Access 2003 cannot see Netware drive
Client: Windows XP Pro SP2 + fully patched with Novell Client 4.91 SP2 Network server: Netware 6.5 SP5 I have a curious problem here. Just installed Office 2003 Professional from an administrative install point on a Netware mounted network drive. All other apps work fine but Access says 'The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.' It is looking for PRO11.MSI. If I click Browse... it cannot see any of the three Netware mounted drives I know are there. Word, Excel and the rest have no problem and load normally. I have tried doing repairs a...

repeated system access to floppy drive
I recently noticed that my computer regularly "accesses" my floppy drive because I can hear it working (kind of like when you try to access it in explorer but there is no floppy disk in the drive). I don't recall this happening before. I've recently upgraded to Norton Antivirus 2004 - is there a default in Norton that is set to check the floppy drive for viruses intermittenly? Any other ideas why my floppy drive keeps making these noises? TIA I had this problem recently (see posts) and it turned out to be something in ZoneAlarm 4.5.594. So if you use it, try ...

NWAdmin, Access to network drives over VPN
Sometimes when I try to access the mapped network drives over my VPN I get an error saying the drive is no longer available. When trying to browse directories I sometimes get the same message...I'm not able to run NWAdmin at all. Thank you, Tawn McDowell Tawn, Does this happen immediately after connecting to the VPN or after a period of time? I'm thinking your connection may have timed out. -- Lance Reynolds, CNE Using XanaNews 1.15.2.7 It happens immediately...the connection is set to stay alive until the user logs out.. > Tawn, &g...

How to access Admin tool on Production Site
Hi !!We used Club Starter Kit, customized it for one of our project and published it (deployed it) on our production server using FTP Copy of VS 2005. Now, we want to have access to admin tool, so that we can create new users etc. How can we do that?Published site has its own ip address. I tried couple ideas presented in article to access admin tool for deployed site. Everything is failing..Any suggestions? Web Admin Tool can not be accessed remotly. It will work only when used on the development machine.Vishal---------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rig...

Problem accessing a netware mapped drive
Hi, i�ve got a following problem. When I log in after Windows XP Professional boot into Netware and it perform a login script mapping, the error message "Invalid descriptor" appear after i click first time on mapped drive. Then i close the error message window a after the next click on mapped drive is allready everything ok. Can you help me? Michael Berny Michael, Lets gather some more details about your environment... What version and SP of the Novell Client and Windows XP? Any additional components of the client installed? What protocols are bound ...

Web resources about - Access to Floppy drive by NWAdmin/NDSManager - novell.netware.5x.admin-tools