Native File Access for Windows #3

I have two question about Native file Access for Windows the resides on
our Novell SBS 6.0 Sp4 server.

1) I have a one Windows XP Sp2 laptop w/o a Novell Client installed on it
and it will not ping the the name of the server nor access the server.
Although it can ping IP Addresses on the server and all domain neames
except the Name of the Native File server.  Example: ServerA_W
I have other computers w/o the Novell Client Installed that will access
the Server no probelm.  What could cause this?

2.)In server A's CIFS settings it has an IP address in the WINS IP
section.  This should not be there correct?  It does not connect to a
WINS server.  I tried to delete it out but it keeps filling it back in.

Just wondering,
Ken@rlmrlm.com
0
ken
3/3/2005 5:20:06 PM
novell.native-file-access 2445 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> 1) I have a one Windows XP Sp2 laptop w/o a Novell Client installed
> on it and it will not ping the the name of the server nor access the
> server.  Although it can ping IP Addresses on the server and all
> domain neames except the Name of the Native File server.  Example:
> ServerA_W I have other computers w/o the Novell Client Installed that
> will access the Server no probelm.  What could cause this?

In order to "ping" a server name it must be in DNS or the hosts file of
the PC.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop

"A bicycle cannot stand alone because it is two tired."
0
Timothy
3/6/2005 6:16:05 AM
ken@rlmrlm.com wrote:
> I have two question about Native file Access for Windows the resides on
> our Novell SBS 6.0 Sp4 server.
>
> 1) I have a one Windows XP Sp2 laptop w/o a Novell Client installed on it
> and it will not ping the the name of the server nor access the server.
> Although it can ping IP Addresses on the server and all domain neames
> except the Name of the Native File server.  Example: ServerA_W
> I have other computers w/o the Novell Client Installed that will access
> the Server no probelm.  What could cause this?

About those unsuccessful ping attempts ... does it say "could not find
host" or it finds the host under a wrong IP address?

Is the server multihomed? If yes, is CIFS bound to a specific IP
address? Is "Netbios over TCP/IP" enabled on the problematic workstations?

> 2.)In server A's CIFS settings it has an IP address in the WINS IP
> section.  This should not be there correct?  It does not connect to a
> WINS server.  I tried to delete it out but it keeps filling it back in.

You can't delete it because it is a mandatory attribute. You have to
replace it 0.0.0.0 instead. See the help page about this section in C1,
it says it all.

> Just wondering,
> Ken@rlmrlm.com

Deyan
0
Deyan
3/12/2005 9:53:09 PM
Timothy Leerhoff wrote:

> In order to "ping" a server name it must be in DNS or the hosts file of
> the PC.

Not necessarily. Windows machines will also try to resolve the name via
a netbios name query (WINS and/or broadcast), unless they are
specifically configured not to or "Netbios over TCP/IP" is disabled.

Deyan
0
Deyan

Native file access for Windows
What's the Nlm for Native File access for windows i need to install it in a netware 6 server There are multiple files -- you need to run the GUI Install program and select it from the list of products to be installed. After installation, you need to reapply the latest Service Pack to the server, then check for post-SP updates to CIFS. bd NSC Volunteer SysOp ...

Native File Access for Windows #2
I am running three SBS 6.0 sp4 servers and our main server has the Native file access loaded on it. However the people who loaded the program must have screwed something up and it sounds like I need to uninstall and reinstall the program. However the server it is loaded on is very much strapped for space and I really do not want to have to service pack the machine again. So if I were to uninstall the Native file access for windows off of the main server, would I have to service pack it again? Can I install the Native file access for windows on another server or does it ha...

Installing Windows Native File Access
I am doing a project for school wehich involves having a Novell machine in it, I am using it as the file server for the network. My question is everytime I install Novell at the end of the installation it tries to install the Windows native file access it fails. What could be the problem? I assume it is something in the setup that I am not entering the right parameters for something. Any help would be appreciated, Matthew Please repost to the Install-Upgrade forum which is appropriate to your version of NetWare. When yo...

Native file access
We have a Novell Server running OES Netware 6.5 support pack 8 All of the XP workstations have the Novell Client 4.91 installed. We now have some desktops that are part of a domain, but need access to the Novell server. I was doing research and came across this page: 'Native File Access in NetWare 6 eliminates the need for the Novell Client' (http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5031643.html) Whoever configured this server has already enabled CIFS as it is in the autoexec.ncf with the command of cifsstrt.ncf On the Microsoft domain I have users double click ...

Native File Access Pack Support Pack 3
Hi, Are there any prerequisites for the Native File Access Pack Support Pack 3, I have read the documentation but can not find any, is this correct I thought there were JAVA updates to be done? Thanks, Glen. There are some .jar files in the NFS part of that SP, but the latest one is dated May 2002, so any NW 5.1 serer that can run NFA should cope with the SP also. If you're not using NFS then there is no Java connection at all. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp http://support.novell.com/forums (Sorry, support is not provided ...

NetWare 6.0 Native File Access Pack
I am in search or more information regarding �windows share point� configuration for NetWare 6.0 Native File Access Pack. Are there sources, within, or beyond Novell documentation? Regards, Sean Sgrossell, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support tools and options ava...

NetWare 6.0 Native File Access Pack
I am in search or more information regarding �windows share point� configuration for NetWare 6.0 Native File Access Pack. Are there sources, within, or beyond Novell documentation? Regards, Sean In article <QCxWb.7110$6M5.3061@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, wrote: > re there sources, > within, or beyond Novell documentation? > Just what you might find in the forums here. What "more information" are you looking for? bd NSC Volunteer SysOp > In article <QCxWb.7110$6M5.3061@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, wrote: > > re there ...

Native File Access and login
I'm in the process of setting up NFA and the user on the Windows XP x64 machine has a different login name than the Netware 6.5 user login. Does this pose a problem or should the login name be the same? Thanks Well, if you want to make the login as easy as possible, it is recommended to use the same way. Otherwise, the workstation first tries to login with the local user name, and then, after failure, it will prompt the user to enter both user name and password. However if the user name and password happen to be the same as the local user, the login to the server can be ...

NW51 Native File Access
I have an SLA license for our school district, we are waiting to go to Novell 6.5 until after summer. Can I install the Native file access pack from the 6 Install for NW 5.1 so I can switch out MAC machines from the older AFP from prosoft (server side)? Then when I go to NW 6.5 my users will be familiar with using the newer service from their MAC computers before I go to 6. Thanks for any info. No, sorry. You might want to talk to Novell to see if they might be able to do something for you. -- Timothy Leerhoff Principal Consultant Independant Experts Novell Support Foru...

Native File Access NW51
I have an SLA license for our school district, we are waiting to go to Novell 6.5 until after summer. Can I install the Native file access pack from the 6 Install for NW 5.1 so I can switch out MAC machines from the older AFP from prosoft (server side)? Then when I go to NW 6.5 my users will be familiar with using the newer service from their MAC computers before I go to 6. Thanks for any info. Best to ask in the NFAP forums. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) ...

Native file access with an IPAQ
I am running three Novell SBS 6.0 Sp4 servers and two of them have the Native file access for windows running on them. I have no troubles going in through network neighborhood and accessing the servers on laptops wired or wirelessly. When I use an IPAQ, I can only access one of the servers and its not the one I really care about. I can ping the Native file server names on the wired lan and I can ping the addresses of all the servers using the IPAQ. I can not find the option to ping using domain names using the IPAQ yet. Any ideas why I can access one server but not the other? ...

Native File Access from a Macintosh
Is it necessary to have NSS Volumes and/or Traditional Volumes to do Native File Access from a Macintosh while running Netware 6.5? Best to ask in the NFAP forum. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) Yes....best to ask there.....but.... ;-) For AFP on Netware 6.5 you have to have NSS volumes.....says it in some docs I was reading today (I think the nw65sp2 release notes). On 2004-07-07 11:41:35 -0400, Edison Ortiz <eortiz@nscsysop.com> said: > > Best to ask in the NFAP forum. ...

Native File Access Monitor
Has anyone come across or have an idea of a way to automate monitoring or get a notification if there is an issue with native file access. Our Mac users feel slighted and native file access is a little more problematic then most of our services and I cannot think of a good way to monitor it (beyond NMASMON). Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks -- gohawks8941 Gohawks8941, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might ...

Mac Native File Access
I recently upgraded some servers from 4.11 to NW 6.5, which had Mac file spaces on the volumes. Once at 6.5, files were converted from the traditional file system, to NSS so that NFAP could be used. The customer is now complaining that access from Mac's is intermittant, and that sometimes they are able to see all appropriate files and folders, and sometimes they can not. I suspect that TID http://support.novell.com/cgi- bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10088704.htm May be at play, but there is no resolution for the problem Any Ideas??? Thanks! Joe D. Make sure you...

Web resources about - Native File Access for Windows #3 - novell.native-file-access

The Windows Blog

Windows 10 Mobile review: Windows on phones gets rebooted. Again.
One way or another, Microsoft has been promising Windows 10 Mobile for years. References to "Windows Everywhere," the notion that some version ...

Santa brought you a Windows 10 PC or tablet? Here’s what to do first
If you were fortunate enough to unwrap a new Windows device this Christmas the chances are it will be running Windows 10 . The new operating ...

Employees were so angry about Good's sale to Blackberry, someone broke a conference room window
When email security company Good Technology sold to BlackBerry for $425 million this past September — well below its last private valuation of ...

Virgin Mary image seen on Ga. church window
Rainbow-hued coating on window pane inspires Catholic priest to post on FaceBook

Microsoft preps for Windows 10 upgrade push
Windows 10 is now on more than 148 million PCs , according to data from analytics vendor Net Applications. But the rate at which users are moving ...

I Can See An Empty Bank Account From My Window
Not mine, for once. With oil prices down along with oil production, the state is facing an Alaska-size shortfall: Two-thirds of the revenue ...

Bufferzone Hooks Into Windows to Containerize Security
Bufferzone's technology segregates the activity that is done over the Web by running it within a secure container.